• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare teasing next Mass Effect [Up4: Fourth Pic (1 LQ offscreen, 3 concept art)]

okay so after deep analysis of these images i have come to the conclusion that the game is set during the mass effect 3 war and follows a group of hardened wise cracking cerberus mercenaries with nothing to lose traversing the galaxy killing aliens so no alien squad members
I'm terrified of your thought process.

I'm burnt out on these long trilogies. I think the franchise is established enough to experiment with the format now. I would think that devs wouldn't want to marry themselves to characters for more than two years at this point. Smaller games would allow the dev team the chance to try out many different ideas.

On second thought I also like what I see from Ubisoft with The Division. I could see SP/MP going in that direction.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I cannot wait for this. I adore the trilogy and love exploring the galaxy like no other. Mass Effect next gen goodness will be sweet.

Such a clear night where I live , stars very bright tonight so what else to do is look at them whilst listening to Uncharted Worlds on my IPod. :)

(Yes I'm a bit weird but fuck it)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watch as we now wait for 7 months to see anything else.

Mindlog

okay so after deep analysis of these images i have come to the conclusion that the game is set during the mass effect 3 war and follows a group of hardened wise cracking cerberus mercenaries with nothing to lose traversing the galaxy killing aliens so no alien squad members
You intrigue me. I accept your proposal.
Earth First.

Let's go!
BAKsKSb.jpg

Hopefully the game takes place entirely on Earth during the early years of space travel, aliens are only seen on TVs, and there are lots of speeches about why Homo sapiens is the special snowflake of the galaxy thanks to their unique values of determination and adaptability and being well rounded compared to every other species.

Looks like they're going the big, epic story route going by some of the screenshots.

This looks cool. Very organic so I'm wondering if it's related to the Leviathans somehow? Anyways, I'm keeping my hopes up the next game will offer a new, large scale storyline.

LastNac

I'd be down for this.

Bloomers

Is it wrong that I would buy this as an XBLA game?
All it needs is indoctrination levels as a replacement for your morality meter lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it wrong that I would buy this as an XBLA game?
All it needs is indoctrination levels as a replacement for your morality meter lol

Dynamic unseen indoctrination level for all squadmates giving the game a The Thing vibe where you never know if or when someone will turn on the group during you alien genocide bro fest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't believe this made it to the OP.

Top left is the multiplayer lobby for ME3. Bottom left is when you go to the power screen. Top right is appearance screen and bottom right is the equipment screen to change ammo/gear/weapon bonus/armor bonus

It's not an Eclipse mercenary. It's either the Human Sentinel or Human Adept.
Oh the equipment bonuses.

I couldn't find one that matched that and almost never used them so i thought that might just be ME4's multiplayer with almost the same setup since it was in development.

I've been arguing that for months. Backtracked due to certain tweets.

Now I don't know what to believe.
They've been saying for the past few months we wouldn't see anything at all any time soon, haven't they? Look what happened today. They're going to blow the lid with a trailer either at the Playstation Access event or VGAs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They've been saying for the past few months we wouldn't see anything at all any time soon, haven't they? Look what happened today. They're going to blow the lid with a trailer either at the Playstation Access event or VGAs.
To note with BioWare they were saying that a Dragon Age 3 would be unveiled "later in the year" and then it showed up in Game Informer a week later.

The wording is to try and make it more surprising when they unveil things as opposed to how far away it actually is.

To note with BioWare they were saying that a Dragon Age 3 would be unveiled "later in the year" and then it showed up in Game Informer a week later.

The wording is to try and make it more surprising when they unveil things as opposed to how far away it actually is.
Yup. I had a back and forth with Yanick and he seriously led me to believe I wouldn't see a single tease until some time next year. Crafty ones they are.

AznSniper

So, PS4 launch event? With exclusive DLC?

Zen

Banned
Dynamic unseen indoctrination level for all squadmates giving the game a The Thing vibe where you never know if or when someone will turn on the group during you alien genocide bro fest.

I really do think that one of the concept art pieces was of a Prothean in battle armor and we're going to see a Prequel set in that Era.

That's honestly the only 'prequel' I'd be ok with.

Almighty

Eh hard for me to get excited for it, but I will never the less keep an eye on it. It will be interesting to see what Bioware plans to do post Shepard.

Mass Effect is definitely one of the games that could benefit big time from the power of PS4. It was always too ambitious for current gen (SOON to be last gen).

Morzak

Not getting excited about some nearly indiscernible pics and no information about what the game is supposed to be. Will keep an eye on it, maybe they will go more in a RPG direction but somehow I expect the game to be even more Gears style.

EatChildren

I really do think that one of the concept art pieces was of a Prothean in battle armor and we're going to see a Prequel set in that Era.

That's honestly the only 'prequel' I'd be ok with.

I don't see Prothean battle armour, and I don't think they'd gamble on a setting totally devoid of not only humans, but a considerable chunk of the established universe that fans got attached to. Humans are that rock I think necessary to make it a mass market title, and Prothean era not only denies the game that, but also Turian, Asari, Quarian, Geth, Krogan, and every other species.

A truly blank slate would be cool, but I don't see them doing it. Not with the amount of work required, and the gamble it would be with the series.

If it's a prequel, I figure their options are pretty limited. Either:
- Very early days of human exploration, covering conflict with the Batarians. Reaper threat irrelevant.
- First contact war. Extremely limited without major retcons introducing species and conflict in more prominent roles.

Otherwise it has to be set sometime in the trilogy (While Shepard was comatose? During the ME3 war?), or they gotta go sequel.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wants:

- Sequel
- Self contained story (no more trilogies)
- Much smaller, more personal end goal (not one mention of 'saving the universe')

Cant see shit captain.

I want the game to go back more towards being an RPG.

Pretty much. Not a very interesting 'reveal'. I hope they can up the ante, because I found Mass Effect 3 a chore. Didn't even finish the game because I felt it was a rather mediocre shooter, and a non-entity as an RPG. At the moment I am looking forward to Cyberpunk by CD Project far more. Those guys get it.

I keep on replaying Mass Effect 3 in the hope that I'll discover hidden content that justifies my purchase of the game, but alas... it isn't to be.

Mass Effect 4 can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom