• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spielberg's least favourite Indy movie is...

I watched Temple of Doom when I was 10, and I loved the shit out of it. I have not watched it since, at least not in full (pretty sure I caught it a few times on cable and watched a bit until I got annoyed by commercials). I have defended this movie, even on this board. It wouldn't shock me if you can even find an old posts where I rank it above the Last Crusade (yeah I know, don't jump on me yet, finish reading this post. I was probably a contrarian, it's a bullshit opinion and I will want to retract it).

Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to watch it again, and yeah, ya'll were right, I was wrong. Spielberg is still a great director and that film got some really cool sequences, but as a whole, it's pretty shit. It's not really in the same league of The Last Crusade, never mind Raiders of The Lost Ark. Though I still think it's waaaaaaaaaaay better than the Crystal Skull.

In my defense, I think if you're going to like The Temple of Doom, age 10 is probably where it's going to be, if you know what I mean.

Same here, and you're probably right.

PillarEN

Never forget.

I saw the movie, I have no idea what that scene is anymore. Mission accomplished for me I suppose haha. The fridge is actually Hollywood sort of fun to me. Then I remember the evil lady getting destroyed by those ugly ants. On the other hand I'd keep Indy 4 on if I stumbled on it on TV.

I saw the movie, I have no idea what that scene is anymore. Mission accomplished for me I suppose haha.

Shia is mad at you now. . .

shia.png

Drencrom

Poor Spielberg, seems like alzheimers have already gotten to him and he's forgotten Kingdom of the crystal skull.

Which in itself is a blessing in disguise.

sp3ctr3

indy 3 > indy > indy 4 > indy 2

Spielberg is right.

And people bitching over Indy surviving in a fridge? Try indy surviving falling out of a plane in a fucking raft!

Not a lot of people know Spielberg is married to the co-main (Kate Capshaw) from Temple of Doom (1984), but they married later in 1991.

But he's saying it's worse that Crystal Skull. . . she gotta be kinda mad about that.

EGM1966

He's vocally disliked it from the start. He felt the tone was forced on him by Lucas who wanted another "dark" second instalment plus he wasn't in a great place himself.

He's been apologising for the racist tones, violence and scariness for years know.

Pretty sure he's said the only good thing about the film was meeting his current wife on the shoot.

He's not going to change his view now.

Anyway some terrific scenes in each it's not like any of the sequels come close to Raiders anyway in terms of overall script, pacing, narrative and quality of performances.

Temple has amazing breakneck pace and done great action scenes but it's uneven in time and there's literally no real substance to it or depth.

Crusade has great character moments and a great prologue but the pace and action sequences suffer as a result.

Kingdom is Kingdom. Uneven and wonky of structure.

Raiders though: that's perfection.

Alienfan

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who likes Crystal Skull, absolutely loved it as a kid (less hot on it now),but definitely not the worst. It's a lot of dumb fun

Out of the 3 real Indy movies, yest, ToD is rank 3. Still love it though.

WTF is this...crystal skull...people keep mentioning?

Crystal Skull is less offensive than ToD for the sole reason that it doesn't have Willie Scott screeching every two seconds.

The worst it has is a horribly floaty CG swinging monkey scene, Karen Allen unable to stop smiling at her involvement throughout the film's runtime, and Ray Winstone's awful double-double-cross-whogivesafuck character. None of them are as bad as Willie though.

Ford is still great in Crystal Skull.

wazoo

The only critic at the time for TOD was its darkness, like it was not suited for kids.

This is true, but this is also the underlying prospect that the movie should have been "suited for kids". That kind of mentality brought us 30 years later to a movie industry where most AAA movies are only suited for kids and men-children.

eXistor

Well he's wrong.

But I will say Skull isn't nearly as bad as people would lead you to believe. It's just some really low points peppered thoughout the film, but these low points really only make up a fraction of the film. That said, it's easily the bottom film, but it's very watchable.

I hope they find their mojo again with the new one, I'd hate for the series and the character to go out on Skull.

It'll be interesting to see how the next Indy turns out without Lucas forcing his shit into the film.

Tintin felt like Spielberg firing on all creative cyclinders, that film had so much energy and creativity.

jett

D-Member
Spielberg did not direct any super hero movies, how do you want him to be appreciated here ?

Pretty bad is hyperbole, but he really hasn't been at the top of his game since Munich.

The BFG (2016)
Bridge of Spies (2015)
Lincoln (2012)
War Horse (2011)
The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Bridge, Lincoln, War Horse and Tintin are just okay for me. BFG I haven't bothered with and Indy 4 is ass.

Xe4

Banned
He's not wrong. Temple of Doom is garbo tier. I'd put it on level with Indy 4 to be honest, and I thought Crystal Skull was awful.

gforguava

I can hand wave off most complaints about the movie. Like aliens are dumb, yeah so is the ark of the covenant and the holy grail. But this shit right here, I just can't deal with it.
I have no real problems with Crystal Skull, at least nothing major, except that moment. It is kind of amazing, that moment might be the closest thing I can think of that is unquestionably bad, like no one is going to stand up for Mutt and his monkey swinging.

wazoo

Indy 4 was a bad idea, resurrecting this franchise, but it was no worse than many current movies. It only fell against memories of the first 3, and even that, I consider that for Indy 2/3, memories are making the movies much better than they really were.

Raiders is one of the top "genre" movies of the last decades.

TheWraith

Isn't this known for years? When Spielberg started work on Crystal Skull he explicitly mentioned one of his motivations was to "wipe away the bad taste of Temple of Doom".

I also would place Temple beneath Indy 4 btw.

wazoo

Isn't this known for years? When Spielberg started work on Crystal Skull he explicitly mentioned one of his motivations was to "wipe away the bad taste of Temple of Doom".

I also would place Temple beneath Indy 4 btw.

If Indy 4 was the Indy Spielberg wanted to do, we can only be happy Indy 2 was not.

NekoFever

Temple of Doom isn't as bad as Crystal Skull but it is shit.

It's two hours of Kate Capshaw constantly screaming - seriously, I'd like to know the longest time the movie goes without her screeching - and an annoying child sidekick while everyone's chased by crass Indian stereotypes, with a decent minecart chase at the end.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
...there are a lot of people here who think the best Indiana Jones movie is the flat, sitcom-esque third one that drains almost all tension and danger out of the series (and the set-pieces, save for the opener), turns the supporting characters into total idiots, and seems generally pleased to just be a safe, toothless parody of itself.

Last Crusade is like an Indiana Jones movie for the universe in which ABC's TGIF lineup from the '90s is real life.
FINALLY. I thought I was alone in this opinion.

CrunchyB

I like all 3 movies and I even think they're not very far apart quality-wise, but Temple of Doom is still the worst.

Some good scenes though and occasionally scary as fuck.

A fourth movie would be a mistake.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
He is not wrong, Temple of Doom used to be my least favorite until the Crystal Skull appeared. It's only one location, no Nazis. It has the rollercoaster mine which makes even less sense than that ape scene in Crystal Skull. And it has an annoying side kick and an annoying brat. Now that I think of it, Crystal Skull might actually be more fun to watch than Temple of Doom.

Top Bottom