• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue might be headed to XBLA/PSN

Allard

Bought the DC version twice and the Gamecube version of SoA, will quad dip if its a respectful port and will definitely get it if the PSN release also means playable on the Vita. However...

The Dreamcast version is the definitive version in my opinion as the gamecube version has compressed music files.

This is what I most want changed and hope we get. Even today with all the positive changes made to the gamecube version I still find the DC one superior just because of the music. Going from the Dreamcast version to the Gamecube one was jarring, the music took an immediately noticeable dip in quality, at the time (Since I was and young and didn't understand what compression can do) I thought they redid all the music and made it sucky. The music was similar but the instrumentation felt off and now several years later I know why. I had a hard time playing the game on the GC because it was so noticeable, the music is one the best aspects of this game, especially the boss music; I love how the tempo changed dynamically depending on your own health and the health of the boss.

Mengetsu

Bought the DC version twice and the Gamecube version of SoA, will quad dip if its a respectful port and will definitely get it if the PSN release also means playable on the Vita. However...

This is the what I most want changed and hope we get. Even today with all the positive changes made to the gamecube version I still find the DC one superior just because of the music. Going from the Dreamcast version to the Gamecube one was jarring, the music took an immediately noticeable dip in quality, at the time (Since I was and young and didn't understand what compression can do) I thought they redid all the music and made it sucky. The music was similar but the instrumentation felt off and now several years later I know why. I had a hard time playing the game on the GC because it was so noticeable, the music is one the best aspects of this game, especially the boss music; I love how the tempo changed dynamically depending on your own health and the health of the boss.

Is there any links to compare the differences of the songs that are compressed to the ones on the DC? I want to hear the differences myself because I didn't know it was compressed till I saw it talked about here on GAF.

It was a very good JRPG for its time. That's not to say it isn't good now, but people talk about random battles like they're cancer these days, when I really think that isn't the case.

Yeah, the problem with Skies of Arcadia isn't that it has random battles, it's that you win every single random battle in the entire game by casting Lambda Burst but they still all take two minutes apiece.

fyi, there is DC to USB controller adaptor. Very rare and hard to find, but it works. (works on PS3, too)

what kind of evil bastard invents a thing like this

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I would buy more than one copies of Shenmue. Seriously.

Seconded. I will buy Shenmue, Shenmue II (if possible), JSR, and Skies. No questions asked. Give me the chance, Sega, and then give me the real Shenmue III that I am craving. I will pay 100 dollars for it, if needed.

Elios83

Can't wait if true, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1/2 should have been on the PSN/XBL since a long time ago. They are games with a strong following in the hardcore gamers community, who are those who buy digital games on PSN/XBL in first place.
But we know since forever that Sega doesn't like money.

Yeah, the problem with Skies of Arcadia isn't that it has random battles, it's that you win every single random battle in the entire game by casting Lambda Burst but they still all take two minutes apiece.

what kind of evil bastard invents a thing like this

Mayflash 3 in 1 Joy Box - Sat, DC, PS2 to USB (Does not work with Sat NiGHTS analog).

http://sewelldirect.com/MayFlash-PS2-connect-DC-Sega-SS-controller-to-usb-pc.asp

Can't be found anywhere. I have two new sealed. Some one wants it they better offer me a lot of money.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Regarding the soundtrack, it's not compression that's the culprit. Both versions of the game are creating the music on the fly. It's just that the Dreamcast version used Cybersound, which was wavetable synthesis software similar to Yamaha XG Synth. Cybersound was used in a bunch of other games as well, mostly on the Sega Saturn. The GameCube release uh... clearly didn't use it. Some songs fared better than others, but overall, the GameCube versions sound emptier and marred. For those wondering about the difference, here's a 5 minute video of a gameplay segment from the GameCube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZSFoxqRv4

...and here's a link to the Dreamcast versions of three songs you hear in that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOBk375b2pY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4alBOxHiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exgsxsariw

There's a blatant difference in quality. If a port is done, I sincerely hope we get either the Dreamcast quality soundtrack, or something better.

FLEABttn

Banned

It's been a while since I've played. Maybe that'll be adjusted.

Roto13

Skies of Arcadia needs more than just an HD facelift. At the very least, cut the random battles down. Lower than they were in Legends, even. Seriously, I played the Legends version and could barely tolerate the encounter rate (in fact it eventually did drive me away from the game once I reached the ice area) and I was kind of stunned to learn later that the Dreamcast encounter rate was somehow higher than that. Good lord.

RPGCrazied

They get tolerable when you fly above the clouds. Also, I believe there is an item that cuts those down. I think its "white map" ?

If SOA XBLA/PSN happens then I don't doubt they'll have a "Legends" DLC pack with the Gamecube improvements/extras.

That's what they did with Sonic Adventure & DX.

Sega, shut your fucking mouths and take my god damn money. Yes all over my face. Skies of Arcadia is my favorite game of ALL TIME, and I'm no spring chicken. Shenmue is great. If they could give us the japanese language option, it would be perfect.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The Dreamcast version's "higher encounter rate" had more to do with perception than anything else. When each battle takes 20+ seconds to load, there's a bit of... weighting involved with how annoying those random battles can be.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all in favor of lowering it and increasing XP rates to compensate.

ChuyMasta

I would buy a PS3 to play Skies of Arcadia again.

Like some people already posted, legends content, DC music quality, AND the ability to skip animations. I know you can skip special sequences in battle by pressing Z (GC version) but I would love that option for magic and enemy attacks as well.

Ship battles rock. Leave those as they are
Re adjust random encounters and make them start faster.
Wide screen support.

My friend (who posts here, actually) has one. Wonder if it's still around... I didn't realize these were rare, I figured they were part of the amalgam of generic X controller to USB interfaces that seem ever-present.

Oh man the joybox was stupid good. I can't believe how stupid I was for trashing that thing.
Worked flawlessly with the Dreamcast controller when I played PSO: Blue Burst.

jbueno

Good, but make a retail release as well, like the Dreamcast Collection. Oh and hopefully the Music in SOA is based on the Dreamcast version.

Allard

Skies of Arcadia needs more than just an HD facelift. At the very least, cut the random battles down. Lower than they were in Legends, even. Seriously, I played the Legends version and could barely tolerate the encounter rate (in fact it eventually did drive me away from the game once I reached the ice area) and I was kind of stunned to learn later that the Dreamcast encounter rate was somehow higher than that. Good lord.

It was higher but unlike the GC release where it just became an irritating stoppage of progress you always 'knew' when a random battle was coming in the Dreamcast release due to disc drive suddenly making a noise. If you timed it right you could easily skip a lot of random battles so despite the battles happening a lot faster in the DC version, it also became a game of button timing to skip the battles. Of course sometimes you weren't quick enough or the minute you got out of the menu it immediately loaded the battle once you started walking, but due to this trick the randomness was more tolerable then it likely would have been for me. Not to mention if you ever got far enough to get the Delphinius 'sky' upgrade the game world became that much more dynamic where you could traverse the world without random encounters :). Part of the greatness of the world map is feeling like you are slowly moving up in the world and no random encounters made me feel like the king of the world at the time lol.

Midou

I will never have bought something on PSN so hard, my dreamcast has very varried results. Emulators are pretty meh for shenmue, I got Shenmue 2 on XBOX as well as DC, so I can still play that, but I basically have no way to play Shenmue 1 correctly, that thought kills me.

Mengetsu

Regarding the soundtrack, it's not compression that's the culprit. Both versions of the game are creating the music on the fly. It's just that the Dreamcast version used Cybersound, which was wavetable synthesis software similar to Yamaha XG Synth. Cybersound was used in a bunch of other games as well, mostly on the Sega Saturn. The GameCube release uh... clearly didn't use it. Some songs fared better than others, but overall, the GameCube versions sound emptier and marred. For those wondering about the difference, here's a 5 minute video of a gameplay segment from the GameCube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZSFoxqRv4

...and here's a link to the Dreamcast versions of three songs you hear in that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOBk375b2pY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4alBOxHiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exgsxsariw

There's a blatant difference in quality. If a port is done, I sincerely hope we get either the Dreamcast quality soundtrack, or something better.

Thankyou for that.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't know if I can play through both Shenmue games again. First reason, the controls are way too archaic (Didn't the Xbox version of S2 still use d-pad to move?) unless they overhaul these, and second, also my main one, I can't go through the emotional rollarcoaster ride of the 4th Disc of S2 only to go through another 11yrs wondering if a sequel will ever eventuate.

But I never said I wouldn't buy them if just to support Sega and hope it does fund a sequel. If enough people did it then it might prove to Sega to give Suzuki another shot at the prize. =D

Tizoc

The person(s) who told you Yakuza and Shenmue are anything alike lied to you.

Huh...I always just assumed that, but thanks for correcting.
Either way I have zilch idea of how Shenmue plays...which is great~ I can get to experience it same way the ones who played on the DC years ago have

N.A

Banned
Hearing that they added free look to the right analog and widescreen in JSR gives me hope of the same in Shenmue. Hopefully they also improve some of the technical problems like the amount of characters on screen (they improved this in the Xbox version of II) and the long load times.

Jay Sosa

Skies is such an overrated/boring game. Grandia 2 is so much better.

Haha what?

The last 5 hours of Grandia 2 DEFINE boring.

Huh...I always just assumed that, but thanks for correcting.

Yakuza is the closest you can get to Shenmue, it's true that they differ in quite a few aspects (Yakuza is much more action oriented while Shenmue was very chill more like an adventure) but to me Yakuza is the only franchise that is somewhat similar and honestly that's good enough for me.

bluemax

Banned
Good, those that do purchase SoA will have the memories refreshed on how horrible a game it truly was.

Pretty much. I bought a 2nd had DC for this game and never finished because of how abysmal it was. The plot was SNES levels of cheese and predictability, the voice acting was shudder, and all the random battles :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pretty much. I bought a 2nd had DC for this game and never finished because of how abysmal it was. The plot was SNES levels of cheese and predictability, the voice acting was shudder, and all the random battles :(

Sounds like the vast majority of Dreamcast games to me.

I appreciate Jet Set for what it is, but it's a very mediocre game. Whenever people remember it, it's only for visuals and audio.

Gen X

Also, picked this and Grandia 2 up for a tenner in 2010, mint condition, spools in tack, case not cracked and instructions look unopened.

gmKEX.jpg

I would play it if I could find my VGA adaptor for the Dreamcast but I fear it has gone forever. Need one of those third party ones that allows two connections to switch between PC and DC.

Shion

I would play it if I could find my VGA adaptor for the Dreamcast but I fear it has gone forever. Need one of those third party ones that allows two connections to switch between PC and DC.

PAL version of SoA doesn't support VGA. :(

Gen X

PAL version of SoA doesn't support VGA. :(

Now you mention it I think I remember being pissed it didn't. So many PAL games did that I was surprised this didn't. Man, I feel some DC nostalgia coming along. I was digging through my storage box to post a pic of my unopened Duke controller for the Xbox nearly died thread and saw my DC, KB, brand new pad, HotD, VMU, all boxed in mint condition. The DC was where I really started to look after my stuff keeping boxes, manuals etc. Most of the games I wouldn't play today given how far we've come in mechanics, etc but for its time. Yes. Nostalgia is here. Wish I still kept all my DC games though.

Now, if Sega would announce a re-release of Headhunter for XBLA/PSN I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Top Bottom