• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS Japanese Packaging POSSIBLY Indicates Snake is cut from the game

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah I think the Mother/Earthbound items kinda counters the claim that all Earthbound characters got shafted. I think at the very least Ness is guaranteed. Not sure about Lucas though.

How? He was on the NES and GameCube. That's more platforms than Ice Climbers.

Fucking selfish smash players celebrating his departure.
The last original Metal Gear on Nintendo was Ghost Babel on gameboy released 14 years ago. Since then there have been 2 ports. Ice Climbers don't have a dozen games that don't appear on Nintendo, half of which are PlayStation exclusive.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D = 2.2GB
Smash Bros. 3DS = 2.1GB
Pokemon XY = 1.7GB
Kid Icarus: Uprising = 1.5GB
Animal Crossing: New Leaf = 1GB
Super Mario 3D World: 512MB
NSMB2: 370MB

Disappointing if true. Messed up that people are happy about it too. "Blehhhh Snke didn't fit in" cool so don't use him. Characters getting cut is never a good thing.

random25

Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion 2, and ALBW are ~1GB and I think Pokemon XY is 2.7GB. Just from memory.

EDIT: No, Pokemon is 1.7GB.

Wow...so I guess this is the largest 3DS game in terms of file size yet.

Edit: Saw your other post...2nd largest right now :p Thanks!

Kariodude

Banned
It's pretty clear that this isn't the game case, it's just a promotional thing to hang in a store. So the credits there would only be for the characters present on the display.

Eh.

I don't like seeing cuts but I don't see this as some massive loss if he is cut. He's a 3rd party character so that makes a possible cut sting a whole lot less and secondly why would Nintendo promote a character for a company that basically does not business with them?

SuperSah

Banned
eShop version packaging. Notice the filesize info listed. 2.1. GB eh...so does that mean it is on a 2GB 3DS card or is it on a 4GB card and doing nothing with half the space (annoying if latter since I assume the music selection of 2 per stage is due to making it fit on 2GB)

Excellent question. If it's on a 4GB due to the extra .1, then there is much more space for even more music.

To be fair, SSB4 began development shortly after MGS3D hit the 3DS. For Brawl on Wii, the most recent MGS title on a Nintendo system was... The Twin Snakes, on GameCube. And Snake was in Brawl despite the fact MGS4 was coming out mere months later on competing consoles.

As much as I like Snake, I dont think there was much good reason he shouldve been in Brawl. Kojima gives Nintendo consoles scraps from the franchise. A SKU of one or two of the PSP games wouldve been so easy but alas Kojima didnt think think that the best selling console at the time deserved it.

Frolow

Banned
As much as I like Snake, I dont think there was much good reason he shouldve been in Brawl. Kojima gives Nintendo consoles scraps from the franchise. A SKU of one or two of the PSP games wouldve been so easy but alas Kojima didnt think think that the best selling console at the time deserved it.

No way the DS could have ran Portable Ops or Peace Walker. The PSP could barely handle those games itself.

It's pretty clear that this isn't the game case, it's just a promotional thing to hang in a store. So the credits there would only be for the characters present on the display.

It's definitely the packaging for the final download version. You can buy them a couple of weeks in advance of the release date.

Forkball

Wow if the download size is 2.1 gigs that's pretty massive. Some comparisons (rough estimates):

Animal Crossing New Leaf: 0.77 gigs
Fire Emblem Awakening: 1 gig
Shin Megami Tensei IV: 1.75 gigs
Donkey Kong Country Returns: 2.1 gigs

WE'VE REACHED DONKEY KONG LEVELS HERE PEOPLE

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been trying to warn you cranberry shortcuts that Snake is getting replaced by Haruka.

37fPu1L.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Creatures Inc = Pokemon

APE and Brownie Brown = Earthbound and Mother 3. Plus Itoi has always been represented in the Copyrights for these games
Wait does creatures inc control Pokemon? Just what the hell is the joint relationship between Nintendo, Creatures, ThePokemon Company and GameFreak?

Dremark

Banned
There was logic to believing he was still in. He was begged to be included last time, he brought a lot of attention to Brawl, he was a unique character that wasn't a clone and the game suffers in diversity for losing him.

I wanted him back as much as anyone but the claim he wasn't a clone is completely untrue.

The Lamp

The last original Metal Gear on Nintendo was Ghost Babel on gameboy released 14 years ago. Since then there have been 2 ports. Ice Climbers don't have a dozen games that don't appear on Nintendo, half of which are PlayStation exclusive.

Its been said since like 2007 that the requirement for a character is having been present on a Nintendo platform, not where else it has shown up. Where else he was has zero bearing on his right to being a smash character. Pacman and Megaman have been on other platforms too. That argument is flat.

rekameohs

Banned
I didn't like how his character was portrayed in Smash like some one liner action hero, that's not how Snake is at all.

Uh, what? Of course he is. That's exactly what Snake was a parody of in the original Metal Gear. And in MGS2 it's just ridiculous. MGS4 gave him some development, but that didn't come out before Brawl.

Road

These copyright sometimes refer only to the characters whose images are used in the situation (a magazine, an article, or, in this case, the packaging).

JoeM86

Wait does creatures inc control Pokemon? Just what the hell is the joint relationship between Nintendo, Creatures, ThePokemon Company and GameFreak?

No. Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. control Pokémon and all three are always credited whenever Pokémon is used.

HardRojo

Why are so many people glad that Snake is not in the game? More characters are always welcome in these typea of games.
I say this as a Fighting Games enthusiast who actually plays USF4, UMvC3 and KoF XIII somewhat competitively in my local FGC.

JoeM86

Why are so many people glad that Snake is not in the game? More characters are always welcome in these typea of games.
I say this as a Fighting Games enthusiast who actually plays USF4, UMvC3 and KoF XIII somewhat competitively in my local FGC.

Snake never really fit in, and he's barely been on Nintendo platforms.

Growlie19

An unfortunate, but expected loss. Other than ports and remakes, Snake really has little presence on Nintendo hardware. Still, his moveset was fun, if a little bit broken, so he will definitely be missed. RIP in peace, old friend. :(

Fandangox

Snake never really fit in, and he's barely been on Nintendo platforms.

So? He is quite an iconic character.

You'd think that regardless of whether it was "right" for him to be in Brawl the fact that he was in a Smash game already gives him enough leverage and "Relevance" on a Nintendo console to be eligible again.

I can understand the people that don't like the character, but to be glad that he was cut or to think that Kojima/Konami HAVE to put MGS games on Nintendo consoles to have Snake in Smash is just odd.

I love how the selfish cries are flying about yet no one's blinking an eye to the other characters we lost in the past and now:

Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy...

But no, Snake is such a special snowflake. I'd take all of those characters over him. He's low priority.

how is that good? some people actually liked him in the game

Yeah. Wanting any character out from a fighting game is pretty much just being a dick. It happens because rosters have to be final at some point, it's not something that is desirable.

Don't care about Smash pseudo-politics, what matters is the actual game.

Top Bottom