• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

stan_marsh
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:35 PM)
stan_marsh's Avatar

Originally Posted by henhowc

still surprised that sony hasn't implemented 2fa after the hacks on their servers and the heartbleed exploit from awhile back

We can't even change our PSN name. Not surprised at all. Sony doesn't give a fuck sometimes.
dan2026
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:35 PM)
dan2026's Avatar
I would be fucking fuming.

Ring up ask to speak to a manager and say how appallingly you have been treated.
If they aren't reasonable say you will take it to Trading Standards, Watchdog and your solicitor.

Disgraceful.
Jotaka
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:36 PM)
Jotaka's Avatar
OP need to change the password of both PSN and the e-mail address associated to the account.
FriedConsole
Banned
(07-11-2015, 06:36 PM)
Can you honestly say you never did "game sharing"? Not saying you did but I have seen this go sour so many times.
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by tempest3

If OP changes the passwords on his account then that should at least stop the person from being able to use his account and free games, right? This is assuming that he is unsuccessful in being able to get the deactivation reversed.

What are the exact benefits of having the console set as primary? Its playing certain stuff online and shared games on one console, right? So if the password changes then the thief will at least be locked out until OP can get the deactivation stuff set straight, no?

The security really needs to be improved. I'm worried at the idea of having my account stolen.

They can download all my digital games quickly without paying for them and then play them off line and not ahve to sign in again - Basically they stole my digital games and can play them offline is what I have come to think.

I cannot deactivate them...they wont give me the mysterious Ps4 details that have taken my identity even though I gave them all the security they need.
xxracerxx
Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
(07-11-2015, 06:37 PM)
xxracerxx's Avatar
Dude, that fucking sucks. Keep at them and since you are in the UK look into consumer rights.

Originally Posted by geordiemp

Miles away my friend....I have way enough money and I dont share games...

I buy them digitally at UK prices and just dont care - they can see that on my account....I am hardly Mr price concious.

Also I rarely played on our Ps3's as we moved to 2 x 360....yeah hard up man.

Haha, I find it funny how worried you are about people seeing you as less than well off.
mgs2master2
Banned
(07-11-2015, 06:39 PM)
I've had this happen before with Sony America.

I own a PS4, two PS3s, two psps, and a vita.
Same situation happened as you described. Only addition is someone attempted to as purchase some game digitally on PS3 and deleted all my friends from the friend list on psn. They also attempted to change my password but failed somehow. I called Sony and they were dumbfounded. They literally saw the fraudulent activity but said "well since everything is deactivated, we recommend changing passwords and removing all card activities since you will not be able to deactivate this new PS3 added to your account for 6 months"
That was their response. I must've called 3 more times that day until I was finally escalated to a supervisor who apologized in the behalf of the other reps who couldn't help and (direct quote from him) "went by textbook answer". He made sure my situation was escalated to the proper people at Sony. One hour later I was refunded, and Sony manually deactivated all the consoles attached to my account so I added them one by one. In addition they manually bricked the fradulant PS3 that causes this mess and made it an overglorified music player. The Fraudulent PS3 was made to have a PSN ban which stops it from playing any digital content at all. Only play retail disc and music. That's all.

Long story short. Don't give up OP. Keep calling or do the online chat until you get a resolution.
GutZ31
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:41 PM)
GutZ31's Avatar

Originally Posted by geordiemp

Who is the BBB ?

By the way, I found I am not alone...same as author in the six axis article.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/02/...l-only-future/



Of course not, but now I have a new password and made sure my CC details are deleted and password authorise for all purchases

If you have, or are using any of your systems in different geographical locations other than your own home.
Or, let others use your account on another system.
Or, Logged in on another system at someone else's house/business, you can be held responsible for the issue.


The PS3 was a huge problem for sony with people basically giving their account info to one another to trade games for free. They are sure to think you are doing this if the IP that shows up for activity is one they have seen before.
vypek
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by benny_a

Everything that has been downloaded and isn't PS+ (those have DRM-end dates) can be played forever with any account.

Originally Posted by geordiemp

They can download all my digital games quickly without paying for them and then play them off line and not have to sign in again - Basically they stole my digital games and can play them offline is what I have come to think.

I cannot deactivate them...they wont give me the mysterious Ps4 details that have taken my identity even though I gave them all the security they need.

Thanks for the clarification. That really sucks.
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

Dude, that fucking sucks. Keep at them and since you are in the UK look into consumer rights.



Haha, I find it funny how worried you are about people seeing you as less than well off.

Getting your account hacked is pretty serious stuff and is driving me crazy...they can see from my profile that the amount I spend and devices owned that I am hardly a crazy game share guy,

Also I am middle aged and have a 12 year old son...I think I am a bit old to be sharing with school mates....
GuardianE
Santa May Claus
(07-11-2015, 06:48 PM)
GuardianE's Avatar

Originally Posted by falconxcrunner09

They seriously terminated the phone call? Wow.

Just in case someone does have access to your account, did you remove your credit card from your account?

This doesn't surprise me at all. Sony CSRs are such a mixed bag. Sometimes you get someone helpful. Most of the time? Someone who will have no issue just disconnecting you.
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by GutZ31

If you have, or are using any of your systems in different geographical locations other than your own home.
Or, let others use your account on another system.
Or, Logged in on another system at someone else's house/business, you can be held responsible for the issue.


The PS3 was a huge problem for sony with people basically giving their account info to one another to trade games for free. They are sure to think you are doing this if the IP that shows up for activity is one they have seen before.

No idea, I have taken my Ps4 to my mums house etc, but never logged onto another persons Ps4 or game shared.

This is crazy.

Good idea about IP address.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(07-11-2015, 06:49 PM)
Loudninja's Avatar
Sorry bro hope everything works out.
TimeEffect
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:49 PM)
TimeEffect's Avatar

Originally Posted by geordiemp

No idea, I have taken my Ps4 to my mums house etc, but never logged onto another persons Ps4 or game shared.

This is crazy.

Good idea about IP address.

What about your PS3s?
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:50 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar
Can you deactivate via the Web or do you need to do it on the console itself?
FranXico
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Hedrush

Can you deactivate via the Web or do you need to do it on the console itself?

You can deactivate individual devices through their own UI, but deactivating through the web applies to all devices and can only be done once every six months.
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:53 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar

Originally Posted by FranXico

You can deactivate individual devices through their own UI, but deactivating through the web applies to all devices and can only be done once every six months.

Ah ok that sucks.


OP Can't you get Sony to trace the mac address?
Squishy3
Member
(07-11-2015, 06:58 PM)
Squishy3's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hoje0308

Why would you have to wait six months?

The person who got into his account used the "Deactivate All" button to deactivate every system attached to the account, and you have to wait another 6 months for it to be used again. That's what the rep was telling him.
Orca
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:03 PM)
Orca's Avatar
I didn't realize you could deactivate everything from the website. When someone got access to my account a couple months back they added a PS3 and I wasn't able to remove it - you can't deactivate a PS3 via the web.
Etnos
Banned
(07-11-2015, 07:08 PM)

Originally Posted by SSReborn

Man psn support is fucked.

Man psn is fucked *fixed

I remember back when the whole xbox DRM fiasco, turns out the nightmare escenario "being block out to play your games" is actually pretty common on the SONY side, check out the PSN forums are filled with this complains... the irony

A friend of mine got himself blocked because he sold his PS4 last year forgot to "unlock it", Playstation support response: Make another account... such a class act

This is what happens when your infrastructure is sub-par, both Steam and Xbox live are leagues ahead of the PSN framework
Last edited by Etnos; 07-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Zeshile
Junior Member
(07-11-2015, 07:12 PM)
Zeshile's Avatar
I'm going through almost exactly the same thing. Mine got hacked on July 2nd but I didn't notice the account deactivation until the 5th. We've called three times already and chatted with support once. Nothing.

We managed to get our 3rd call escalated to a supervisor and spoke with him for around 30 minutes and still got nowhere.

I hope you end up having better luck than me and get your account back.
Pocky4Th3Win
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:14 PM)
Pocky4Th3Win's Avatar
Sounds like you got social engineered some way. What is weird is that normally they change your password locking you bout of your account. This didnt seen to happen.

Did you ever log into the website on someone else's PC or a Public PC? Maybe it saves your login info.

I personally never hard issue with PSN Support. They have been helpful every time I have called.

Sorry to hear about your issues.
FF Seraphim
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:15 PM)
FF Seraphim's Avatar
This is a perfect thing for some place like Kotaku to pick up for a better PSN, Sony needs to set up s 2 step verification system among other stuff
OccamsLightsaber
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:16 PM)
OccamsLightsaber's Avatar
Is your password password?
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Pocky4Th3Win

Sounds like you got social engineered some way. What is weird is that normally they change your password locking you bout of your account. This didnt seen to happen.

Did you ever log into the website on someone else's PC or a Public PC? Maybe it saves your login info.

I personally never hard issue with PSN Support. They have been helpful every time I have called.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Good point, maybe I have but I really only use my laptop or work Pc's...I have never been to an internet cafe...

Anywya, changed passwords on everything, bank account, email, psn...I am pulling my hair out.

Sony support were just fucking rude...the guy telling me I know about the 'unknown' Ps4 as it had prior transactions.,,.,I have no idea what is going on
samn
yuuuuup.
(07-11-2015, 07:18 PM)
samn's Avatar
I'll remember this next time I think about buying a Playstation.
Mohonky
Banned
(07-11-2015, 07:19 PM)
Mohonky's Avatar
Fuck that for a joke, and wait six months? I'd definitely be telling them to stick that up their ass.

Why wouldnt they get a supervisor on? Sorry, dont want too?
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Orca

I didn't realize you could deactivate everything from the website. When someone got access to my account a couple months back they added a PS3 and I wasn't able to remove it - you can't deactivate a PS3 via the web.

You cannot deactivate a Ps4 either for 6 months 1

Seems pretty common, hack your account, deactivate and claim everything and the real owner that is hecked is knackerd.

And sony just say no, I am not doing anything more for you sir, that is our final answer. No, you cannot speak to anyone else, this is our final reply.

God I wanted to fist the guy.

I have spent thousands on games...day 1 UK full price...I am the cash cow customer and they are fucking with me. I am lost for words.
redcrayon
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Orca

I didn't realize you could deactivate everything from the website. When someone got access to my account a couple months back they added a PS3 and I wasn't able to remove it - you can't deactivate a PS3 via the web.

You can't deactivate individual consoles via the website, but you can nuke everything. I used it to unhook a broken PSP I had forgotten to deactivate years ago and was now taking up room as one of my five allowed devices on the account.

It did mean redownloadibg everything on everything else (I looked at it as a good spring clean!) but it's the only way to unhook a broken/lost/stolen device where you can't get into it's own interface and without going through Sony's 'helpful' support.
Last edited by redcrayon; 07-11-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Keyser Soze
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:22 PM)
Keyser Soze's Avatar
I feel that many of the people on support that are unhelpful seem to be new hires that are afraid to bend rules. These people are regularly useless, as they are afraid to lose their jobs and are stringently following rules they were given.

Whenever I have an issue with someone on support I hang up on that person. If the person I deal with in any way seems like a hassle, then the phone goes down. I then ring back soon after, and usually get a different person. A person that might be helpful.

Support is a shitty job, but the person I am talking to does not have to make their job worse by making my day worse. There are good people in support, and with luck you can find one. There was no need to spend that long on a phone with someone obviously unhelpful. If support turns out to be a struggle, then give up on that person. Terminate the call long before they even have a chance to.
theecakee
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:23 PM)
theecakee's Avatar
This is scary, only thing we can do is keep pushing that #BetterPSN movement. They should have a security system like Steam where you have to verify with your email whenever you access your account from a new location.

Only thing you can really do to protect yourself from this now is to have a unique password for your PSN account and your email, with random things that don't relate to you such as idk Paintbrush291tiger14....and just have an antivirus on your computer of course.
GutZ31
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:24 PM)
GutZ31's Avatar

Originally Posted by geordiemp

You cannot deactivate a Ps4 either for 6 months 1

Seems pretty common, hack your account, deactivate and claim everything and the real owner that is hecked is knackerd.

And sony just say no, I am not doing anything more for you sir, that is our final answer. No, you cannot speak to anyone else, this is our final reply.

God I wanted to fist the guy.

I have spent thousands on games...day 1 UK full price...I am the cash cow customer and they are fucking with me. I am lost for words.

You can always ask to have your case escalated over the phone, and if you are denied, have a pen and paper ready to ask the person you are speaking to their name and company ID number.
They will be quick to push you along up the chain of command.
redcrayon
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by theecakee

This is scary, only thing we can do is keep pushing that #BetterPSN movement. They should have a security system like Steam where you have to verify with your email whenever you access your account from a new location.

Only thing you can really do to protect yourself from this now is to have a unique password for your PSN account and your email, with random things that don't relate to you such as idk Paintbrush291tiger14.

That's my Id you naughty sod :D
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:34 PM)

Originally Posted by GutZ31

You can always ask to have your case escalated over the phone, and if you are denied, have a pen and paper ready to ask the person you are speaking to their name and company ID number.
They will be quick to push you along up the chain of command.

I spoke and asked him twice.

I have now written in and put it in writing.

Also I am never buying a digital game again. I would rather have 2 copies for 2 Ps4 than buy 1 digital copy and have to go through all this crap.

my god.
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:35 PM)

Originally Posted by theecakee

This is scary, only thing we can do is keep pushing that #BetterPSN movement. They should have a security system like Steam where you have to verify with your email whenever you access your account from a new location.

Only thing you can really do to protect yourself from this now is to have a unique password for your PSN account and your email, with random things that don't relate to you such as idk Paintbrush291tiger14....and just have an antivirus on your computer of course.

Totally new passwords for everything.I am paranoid.
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:36 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar

Originally Posted by geordiemp

I contacted PSN support twice, and they say I have to wait 6 months, and that they seem to think I have given my PSN details to another PS4. I am claiming this must be account fraud.

I hope you get it sorted but to be fair on PSN support here, they think your trying to pull a fraud yourself. They can't just take your word for it. Someone has logged in on your account on another console according to yourself. Wether you gave that someone your details or not, PSN support has to take it that's what you did, especially with the fact that said fraudster didn't change your password. If i was to steal someone's account ( not that I would ) the first thing I'd do is change the password. To sony it just looks like game sharing I guess. I don't fancy your chances but I hope you get it sorted. And change your password asap. Good luck.
Kayant
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:37 PM)
Kayant's Avatar
Sorry to hear OP. Sad you cannot even rely on the support from the provider of the service. SMH. Really two factor two factor authentication should be on any serious online service. As people said Steam has a really good setup.

Originally Posted by Etnos

Man psn is fucked *fixed

I remember back when the whole xbox DRM fiasco, turns out the nightmare escenario "being block out to play your games" is actually pretty common on the SONY side, check out the PSN forums are filled with this complains... the irony

A friend of mine got himself blocked because he sold his PS4 last year forgot to "unlock it", Playstation support response: Make another account... such a class act

This is what happens when your infrastructure is sub-par, both Steam and Xbox live are leagues ahead of the PSN framework

Etnos
I don't know how having DRM on the Xbone would change the way AAA games are made.
(Today, 07:08 PM)
geordiemp
Member
(07-11-2015, 07:52 PM)
They should phone you back on your registered home number.

Then its definitely you and then deal with the fraud.

Anyone once they get into your PSN can delete all your consoles and then claim as their own (primary ps4)., You are then stuck.
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:00 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar

Originally Posted by geordiemp

They should phone you back on your registered home number.

Then its definitely you and then deal with the fraud.

Anyone once they get into your PSN can delete all your consoles and then claim as their own (primary ps4)., You are then stuck.

As mentioned previously the only way to deactivate a console is on the console itself, it can't be done remotely via the Web, so I really don't know how all your devices have been unregistered.

Do you see the issue here? This is what PSN support will be thinking too.
Etnos
Banned
(07-11-2015, 08:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Kayant

Etnos
I don't know how having DRM on the Xbone would change the way AAA games are made.
(Today, 07:08 PM)


I was in favor of those policies, made more sense to have them if you think about where the industry is heading. Not like I'm going to change any mind in here nor I pretend to

said so... fact remains PSN is the service actually blocking people out of their content, which is ironic to say the least
Last edited by Etnos; 07-11-2015 at 08:06 PM.
B1G_A1AN
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:14 PM)
B1G_A1AN's Avatar
I hope you get this sorted OP, just keep onto them all the time & also trading standards.

I don't know how Sony can handle this so badly!
Alec2DaBreen
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:16 PM)
Alec2DaBreen's Avatar
It's really amazing how unhelpful some people at PSN support are. But every now and then, you get someone who actually wants to be helpful and all of your problems get taken care of. Keep calling back until you get someone that will forcefully deactivate everything for you so you can reregister your own stuff.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(07-11-2015, 08:20 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
I thought you could activate primary PS4s and they would automatically deactivate any other 'primary' console? Which in this case would require the other user to sign in, which they wouldn't be able to because you changed passwords?
Eduardboon
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:26 PM)
Eduardboon's Avatar
Been there twice. First time Sony deactivated all machines for me. But the second time they were really rude and accused me of sharing my credentials. I said that I didn't and actually got angry because they would just not listen to me. At all. Called 5 times but to no avail. In the end I just had to wait six months and be first at deactivating everything. This was at a time I didn't have a lot of access to Internet. So I couldn't play any of my digital games not sucked. But don't just said it was my own fault.

Later on my machine got hot and loud and they wanted to charge me 200 euros for a checkup. Even when I contacted a separate customer support/protection service. They just do not want to do ANYTHING to help you out.

Only advice is buy games on disc. They can't play those games. I wish I filed a report at the police.
Darren_z33
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:27 PM)
Darren_z33's Avatar
Sony say there has been transactions on this mystery PS4 before. You're sure you haven't been responsible for the account being compromised. What about your kid, would he have given the details to a friend/phishing site?
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:31 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darren_z33

Sony say there has been transactions on this mystery PS4 before. You're sure you haven't been responsible for the account being compromised. What about your kid, would he have given the details to a friend/phishing site?

This is what I'm thinking also. All his playstation devices have been deactivated but the only way to do that is on each console itself. So someone must have had access to these consoles to deactivate them.
mangochutney
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Stacey

Phoning Sony UK and trying to deactivate a console is a pain in the arse, they asked my name, d.o.b, purchases etc......

OP did you ever give anyone your account details or even a partial one?

Would you rather they didn't ask any questions so that anyone could ring up and muck your account up?
hymanator
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:36 PM)
hymanator's Avatar
This is a perfect example why every account should have an option for two-step authentication. Go here to vote it up and maybe one day that will get Sony's attention:
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com...-verification/
Big_Al
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:51 PM)
Big_Al's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hedrush

As mentioned previously the only way to deactivate a console is on the console itself, it can't be done remotely via the Web, so I really don't know how all your devices have been unregistered.

Do you see the issue here? This is what PSN support will be thinking too.

Last time I checked there was a 'Deactivate All' button on the website, pretty certain you can do it via the website.
Hedrush
Member
(07-11-2015, 08:57 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar

Originally Posted by Big_Al

Last time I checked there was a 'Deactivate All' button on the website, pretty certain you can do it via the website.

There's is a deactivate button yes but all it does is give you instructions on how to do it on your console.

Last edited by Hedrush; 07-11-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Thread Tools