• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trinity Seven 11 - 12

This series releases kind of slowly... it's monthly I guess. Anyway, it's still pretty amusing stuff. So dumb, and so predictable a lot of the time, but still, amusing stuff.

... Ninja girl's still my favorite. And yeah, evil mage girl's sure to be added to his harem soon enough.

GE

Why have I still not managed to completely drop this?

Strike Witches: Katayoku no Majotachi

GAH is that a lot of up-close pantyshots. It's overdone even for Strike Witches, I think...

every female he talks to is gonna end up in his harem.

You think? But so far the harem's pretty much just the 6 (surely soon to be 7) girls of the "Trinity Seven". I'd think it'd stop there, what with the title of the manga and all... them and maybe his cousin, if he rescues her.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 22 - So ... should I be rooting for him or not?
Not.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So . . I've finally decided to try and read . . again . .

Beserk||ch.1-3

It's crazy how something just doesn't click one day but on another try I can't see why I didn't just marathon through all of it in a day. It's not much more than ridiculous sword, "chop chop", "damn that's brutal", "jesus even the little girl? wtf", "chop chop you're in half too" right now but it's strangely engrossing. Far more so than I remember it being, at least.

And now we're getting into the good stuff; world building starts, talk about God Hands, a behilit key thing, it's getting funnier and really starting to roll.

This will be a good ride, won't it?
Yes. There are some nuts who are obsessed with teh grimdark who say it gets worse, but... Yeah, they are objectively wrong.

Hunter x Hunter

Also btw guys, read Chapter 66 again. Togashi seems to have been planning the outer world for a while now. The tree is there and everything.
Godashi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neoanarch

I don't understand the love for Sankarea. I read a few chapters didn't see anything special. Zombies should be shot in the head not loved.

YYH
These mystery of the week chapters in the beginning are nothing like the later arcs. So weird, makes me think the stuff like the Medaka Box shift was planned all along.

Noirulus

I don't understand the love for Sankarea. I read a few chapters didn't see anything special. Zombies should be shot in the head not loved.

I actually thought it was pretty good until the later chapters where it becomes a snooze-fest. (Last chapter I read, MC and the girl were stuck in a cave or something)

upandaway

I'm not really following you man, but whatever! I really liked it! (not sure if you could tell)

I would pay to see my face when this happened. Just to measure how fast I went from shock to huge dumbass grin.

Desmond

Speaking of Beelzebub, anyone following the anime? I just watched the episode about Himekawa's pompadour. I know it veers from the manga a lot but it seems very funny. It's ending in April. That's 2 less anime from Pierrot along with Bleach.

neoanarch

Speaking of Beelzebub, anyone following the anime? I just watched the episode about Himekawa's pompadour. I know it veers from the manga a lot but it seems very funny. It's ending in April. That's 2 less anime from Pierrot along with Bleach.

No I dropped it somewhere before the Toujo arc. Too much filler and they dropped some of the best gags. Plus the Alain Delon stuff was over the top it was suppose to build up to the current weirdness not go all out from the beginning.

Lain

I'm following the anime. It's so bad, but it has some entertaining moments (and the latest ED with the girls is nice).

Glass Rebel

Monster END

What an absoulutely fantastic manga. Urasawa's gotta be my favourite mangaka.

I'm alternating between Urasawa and Tezuka, so after finishing Pluto, Adolf and now Monster I'll probably read Buddha before picking up 20th Century Boys.

Fairy Tail 273

Pretty epic chapter. Mashima throwing so many fights in one, and with Ren (epic attack) and even Orga (cool attack), it is impossible for me to dislike it. And Natsu even had tons of panel time, epic. Depressing panel of the losers was quite emotional, still cant get over Grays unfortunate lose, hopefully he can recover somehow. But the next fight will truly be stunning, Jellal ought to have some pretty compelling attacks and deliver since we havent seen him fight in arcs. Its going to be spectacular.

Needless

Just got through all of Needless, not entirely sure what to think. The art's pretty decent and I like some of the powers. The fanservice is ... kinda weird, how old are the girls in this manga even meant to be? Kinda questionable.

Still managed to be interesting enough to keep my attention despite a small list of things I don't like much.

Fairy Tail

Not much unexpected in this chapter, kinda fun to see a chapter that wasn't specifically about FT itself for once. Though it's totally showing how incredibly predictable the position of certain guilds in this tournament is.

(Quatros Cerebros or whatever pretty much being a joke was pretty much obvious from their designs alone, same with Mermaid Heel really.)

At the start of this tournament I was mildly curious how Mashima would handle the teams that were part of it. (especially when there was a mysterious strong guild left)

but now it pretty much seems that we have two fodder guilds, two "strong" guilds that are mostly meant to give FT points. (I doubt FT would lose in a fair fight against Lamina Scale or Blue Pegasus, because that'd imply they'd be weak! we can't have that!)

And that leaves Raven Tail as the guild that makes FT an underdog through unfair play & Sabertooth as the "how can anyone not think they'll win?"-amazing group.

Considering we know the point system we can probably even figure out at what point FT should start winning matches to suddenly make a comeback to #1 as well.

Considering there's 100 points in total and a max of 20 points one can get per day, assuming. Sabertooth tends to only get the #1 position or #2(or #3?) position in a match where FT somehow manages to win it's pretty much impossible for Sabertooth to be the absolute winner for 3 days straight (or 50-60 points) total without it becoming factually impossible for another group to win the tournament.

Now there's a few options left that'd work with Mashima's style of underdog-based storytelling. I could imagine Fairy Tail not winning the tournament points-wise, but still defeating Sabertooth in some of the final 1 on 1 matches. Making FT obviously "better" yet not the winner.

It's hard to predict though, I don't think Mashima would remove the suspense of FT being able to win in theory though, so I can't imagine Sabertooth being a flawless competitor until day 3.

Fairy Tail
It's hard to predict though, I don't think Mashima would remove the suspense of FT being able to win in theory though, so I can't imagine Sabertooth being a flawless competitor until day 3.

I gave up trying to predict what happens in Fairy Tail, its impossible since Mashima can take his stories in so many ways and he always does the unforseeable to surprise us in good ways. Pretty nice. Hopefully Fairy Tail A reigns supreme even over B and Sabertooth sooner than day 3.

Glass Rebel

Fairy Tail

Arania... Web... alright.

The opponents designs are so cheap, it's hilarious. Also two boring fights in a single chapter. Let's see how Mystogan fares.

Fairy Tail

Arania... Web... alright.

The opponents designs are so cheap, it's hilarious. Also two boring fights in a single chapter. Let's see how Mystogan fares.

It's because Mashima doesn't care about his non FT/lame pretty boy characters.

My biggest gripe with FT is and has always been the extreme disinterest Mashima has in his extended cast, it's like he's trying to do weird Oda designs without any sort of love of spirit.

Compare the average not plot relevant participant in this tournament to say, the Supernova designs from shabondy. Mashima's "quirky" designs have no life to them at all imo.

Gazzawa

Fairy Tail

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
MYSTOGAN is all fired up oh sh!T
not a fan of this arc so far but im hoping there is some sort of interesting plot twist on the way.

Wiseblade

Fairy Tail

Not much unexpected in this chapter, kinda fun to see a chapter that wasn't specifically about FT itself for once. Though it's totally showing how incredibly predictable the position of certain guilds in this tournament is.

(Quatros Cerebros or whatever pretty much being a joke was pretty much obvious from their designs alone, same with Mermaid Heel really.)

At the start of this tournament I was mildly curious how Mashima would handle the teams that were part of it. (especially when there was a mysterious strong guild left)

but now it pretty much seems that we have two fodder guilds, two "strong" guilds that are mostly meant to give FT points. (I doubt FT would lose in a fair fight against Lamina Scale or Blue Pegasus, because that'd imply they'd be weak! we can't have that!)

And that leaves Raven Tail as the guild that makes FT an underdog through unfair play & Sabertooth as the "how can anyone not think they'll win?"-amazing group.

Considering we know the point system we can probably even figure out at what point FT should start winning matches to suddenly make a comeback to #1 as well.

Considering there's 100 points in total and a max of 20 points one can get per day, assuming. Sabertooth tends to only get the #1 position or #2(or #3?) position in a match where FT somehow manages to win it's pretty much impossible for Sabertooth to be the absolute winner for 3 days straight (or 50-60 points) total without it becoming factually impossible for another group to win the tournament.

Now there's a few options left that'd work with Mashima's style of underdog-based storytelling. I could imagine Fairy Tail not winning the tournament points-wise, but still defeating Sabertooth in some of the final 1 on 1 matches. Making FT obviously "better" yet not the winner.

You're right up until the point where the tournament falls apart on the last day and the secret plot of the organisers is revealed. But are they working with Sabertooth, Raven tail, or both?

It's because Mashima doesn't care about his non FT/lame pretty boy characters.

My biggest gripe with FT is and has always been the extreme disinterest Mashima has in his extended cast, it's like he's trying to do weird Oda designs without any sort of love of spirit.

Compare the average not plot relevant participant in this tournament to say, the Supernova designs from shabondy. Mashima's "quirky" designs have no life to them at all imo.

Wait, lets not fall victim to exaggerated fanciful machinations. Would he really try to take inspiration from Oda?

Well I think Mashima is just catering to what his audience wants. Those are the characters that are the best in manga and always cool. The Supernovas you indicate are essentially basically never around anyway? The one that falls into that category that you set for Fairy Tail (and oddly the supernova who has the most/best fanarts), has actually had the most screentime out of all of them (Trafalgar Law). Surely Mashima ought not be faulted here.

You're right up until the point where the tournament falls apart on the last day and the secret plot of the organisers is revealed. But are they working with Sabertooth, Raven tail, or both?

Oh for sure, the 5th day will most likely be about the secret evil plot. But that stuff is so obnoxiously obvious it's not even interesting to speculate about.

I'm curious how much I can predict about the actual tournament part of this arc, I feel like we have enough information to figure out what would happen.

Wait, lets not fall victim to exaggerated fanciful machinations. Would he really try to take inspiration from Oda?

Well I think Mashima is just catering to what his audience wants. Those are the characters that are the best in manga and always cool. The Supernovas you indicate are essentially basically never around anyway? The one that falls into that category that you set for Fairy Tail (and oddly the supernova who has the most/best fanarts), has actually had the most screentime out of all of them (Trafalgar Law). Surely Mashima ought not be faulted here.

The supernova were extremely (and I mean extremely) minor characters in One Piece, yet I feel like every single one of them had a story and a design Oda genuinly liked.

Interesting powers, a bit of history & a bit of the OP world in pretty much all of them and we can't even tell if we'll see them again or what their role will be.

To me the entire supernova thing felt like Oda showing us that the One Piece world is larger than "just" the Straw Hats.

A Grand Magic Tournament like the one in FT might be the perfect place to give us a bigger picture of the FT world yet half of the teams look like they took Mashima exactly 5 seconds to design.

The fact that he spent a total of two panels on the actual attacks in the Mermaid Heel/Blue Pegasus fight tells me enough about how much the author cares about these characters.

Honestly, half of these guilds are literally there as fodder to show how "awesum" some of the better guilds are. In what's supposed to be a tournament showing off only the best that's a disgraceful way to write imo.

Fairy Tail

Jellal will win next week. It´s inevitable. Dammit, i hate that character and all of his copies, alternative other world self etc.... The way Mashima showed Wendy, Lucy, Gray, means that Jellal will most definitely win. BTW i knew Web´s magic has to do with spider or web based on her cloths since the first chapter that showed her.

Wiseblade

Fairy Tail

Jellal will win next week. It´s inevitable. Dammit, i hate that character and all of his copies, alternative other world self etc.... The way Mashima showed Wendy, Lucy, Gray, means that Jellal will most definitely win. BTW i knew Web´s magic has to do with spider or web based on her cloths since the first chapter that showed her.

Well, duh.

flawfuls

World Gaze Clips 1

That was a decent first chapter. It seems better than the mangaka's 4koma incest manga. So did that girl drug everyone or does she have some sort of power?

NVQcS.jpg

Fairy Tail

Not even entertaining the thought that he could just somehow lose? Lamia Scale was surprisingly pretty good before in the past rounds, I dont think they would somehow lose even if its against Jellal. Based on the past, it will be stunning if he can break the losing streak of Fairy Tail to be honest. His time to shine will come later in the arc, I pray.

Azure J

Sankarea (all of it)

yes yes yes YES YES YES(<nsfw) YES YES YES YES YES YES(<nsfw) YES

YES

YESSS

YESSSSS

i approve.

Pause, you weren't reading this before? Welcome to the collective. :lol

Edit: Medaka Box chapter was good, I'm surprised to see that Suinasaki is genuine (thus far) if a bit eccentric. And I still maintain that Hitoyoshi is my favorite character in this manga. Anshin's analysis on him being the type of person that builds up others sold me even if I knew that already. :p

As for the last bit on the chapter end, I really wonder how this ending is going to play out. It seems like there's still enough for a good amount of chapters. At the same time, the anime date is coming closer and unless we're getting trolled on a meta level, that deadline is pretty much 4 or so weeks/chapters from now. I wonder how much could be put in there to make the ending satisfying without killing whatever momentum this arc has going.

survivor

Banned
Bakuman

This is so embarrassing. If I went on the air and admitted to my dumbass childish love story, I wouldn't have the guts to show my face in the public anymore.

But hey whatever, realistic responses from people isn't to be expected in this manga.

Lain

Has the Anime or Manga been licensed for an English release? I'd love to buy either.

Not that I know.

World Gaze Clips 1

That was a decent first chapter. It seems better than the mangaka's 4koma incest manga. So did that girl drug everyone or does she have some sort of power?

The picture looked interesting, so I was gonna check it, which brought me to who did the chapter and what do I read? That the translator of Teppu, Shadow-Skill, retired, so they need to find a new one... why God, why?!

Noirulus

Me and My Devil Blues chp. 1

I can appreciate how great it is for the realistic portrayal of American history/black culture, and the art is better than Kangoku Gakuen, but I just feel very indifferent about it. It's just not my cup of tea, I think.

Sucks because I can see why it is so good too. Maybe i'll enjoy it more if I revisit it in a few years.

Edit: By the way, do we discuss korean webcomics here? I wasn't a big fan until I read Melo Holic which is really good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom