• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this whole announcement shows some hidden fears of MS.

First they announce a 6% clock increase to a previously unannounced GPU clock rate? Why?
It also shows that they are really trying to change the news cycles buy announcing minute details only developers were previously privy to. This falls in line with all info MS has been feeding DF, they are trying to change the narrative. The days of PR from talking heads like Captain Nelson are dead, now it is controlled leaks, astro turf and bizarre tech announcements.

They got Marc on the podcast and he mentioned it pretty casually, the others on the podcast afterwards even basically made fun of it, they didn't make a big deal out of it because its seemingly not very much of a bump.
Websites looking for headlines made a big deal out of it and then Gaf loves to hate anything Xbox One related claiming how desperate they are. Its not like Microsoft sent out some big press release.
On the other hand, Sony has some slightly negative rumours regarding its RAM allocation (if true) and everyone denies it and gets upset despite Sony commenting on it officially and still declining to deny it.
I highly doubt MS are feeding anything to Digital Foundry.

jim2011

That means nothing unless we already know what they've up-clocked it from, but since MS hasn't made that number official we have no idea.

Sure, they could have upped it by 53MHz, but might just as well be following a downclock by 100Mhz.

Besides, CBOAT has spoken.

Seriously? Why are people posting without reading the OP

But what's the point of 53 more MHz when they have the infinite power of the cloud? Games are already 600% more powerful graphix.

The graphics are cool but the gameplay looks average.

Have you played inFamous games before? The gameplay is among the best in the industry and its what fans of the series are looking forward to the most. The visuals are just a nice bonus.

Yoday

DF has spent the last week telling me that 50% difference is not much, now you guys tell me that 6% increase can make a difference?
Makes you wonder how they are going to spin it. They have been spending the last few months trying their best to downplay the 50% advantage that Sony has. So now that the XB1 gets a pretty tiny bump, is it all of a sudden going to be a huge deal over at DF?

NIGHT-

But what's the point of 53 more MHz when they have the infinite power of the cloud?

Have you played inFamous games before? The gameplay is among the best in the industry and its what fans of the series are looking forward to the most. The visuals are just a nice bonus.

Eh... It's one the most repetive open world games... The side missions were extremely boring and the world felt lifeless. Here's to hoping the next one turns out good

SMZC

You have a point with the price difference but I don't believe the power difference is much of a issue or a selling point IMO. It's about games and I personally believe MS has more exciting games(for me). I just see so much emphasis on graphics with some people. I don't believe it will be a big difference. But then again I could very much be wrong. But it's unfortunate to see more discussion about the specs than games. Aren't we all here because we love games? These machines are going to be hella powerful. I just don't see the power difference to be a big selling point.

I'm not tech-savvy, so I personally have no idea what the power difference is going to translate into, exactly. The Xbone will most likely be fine, graphics-wise, but it's quite possible that the difference in multiplatform titles will be enough to persuade some people into going with the PS4, because let's not forget, the main appeal of these two consoles are arguably the third party (multiplatform) titles, so the huge majority of their libraries will be identical. So, in that sense, I agree completely with what you said; it's all about the games. But that's precisely what will play in detriment of Microsoft. Given how both consoles will be so very similar not just in their libraries, but also in a lot of other aspects, it makes sense that people would gravitate towards the most powerful one, even if this difference in power ended up being very, very small.

Kinect is one of the main (and few) things that distinguishes both systems from each other, but the hardcore market isn't responding very well to it. Even Microsoft seems to be puzzled as to what to do with it beyond the casual market. The fact that they had no Kinect games to show at E3 speaks volumes. Now, one could argue here that hardcore gamers don't want Kinect games, so Microsoft was just giving them what they wanted. But if that's the case, why make Kinect mandatory at all? Why force hardcore gamers to pay a considerably superior amount of money for something that this demographic doesn't want, as Microsoft themselves seem to be acknowledging? It just seems to me that Microsoft is making the same mistake as the Wii U; that is, trying to catch both the hardcore and casual demographics, with the end result being a product that satisfies neither, and which feels directionless, in contrast to the PS4, which has always been branded towards hardcore gamers. That's precisely what I was alluding to earlier when I was talking about how PS4 is a machine focused first and foremost in games.

Logash

I don't see why it matters if Microsoft is changing things because they got such a bad reception from the original announcement. I'm a PS4 man myself and I will not be buying the Xbox One but surely this is a good thing for Xbox fans.

Vic20

Folks, that's like a speed bump equivalent to 7 Sega Genesis, and they had Blast Processing! This is huge! ;-p

Eh... It's one the most repetive open world games... The side missions were extremely boring and the world felt lifeless. Here's to hoping the next one turns out good

Gameplay mechanics is not the same thing as what you're describing in your opinion here (world, missions, etc.). The gameplay mechanics in infamous are among the best there is.

ib2pFqqoYTh8AY.gif

Graphics don't make a game great. Graphics won't stop Infamous from being boring again if it's the same style of play as the first two games. Part 1 I beat, but bored me to hell by the end of the game. Same missions over and over.. boring.

Didn't even bother with part 2.

Makes you wonder how they are going to spin it. They have been spending the last few months trying their best to downplay the 50% advantage that Sony has. So now that the XB1 gets a pretty tiny bump, is it all of a sudden going to be a huge deal over at DF?

Is Leadbetter going to write the DF article?

X1 has an AMD GCN GPU@ 853MHZ
PS4 has an AMD GCN GPU@ 800MHZ.
X1 wins.

lol.

n!smo

Neo Member
Clearly, they are realizing that their hardware is considerably weaker. Especially as this generation may also be a marathon the difference will definitely be noticable. If performance wasn´t a problem in the first place they won´t even bother.

Let´s see, if Sony can transform the additional horse power into something, that even the average customer will notice. Bad thing for MS if this happens sooner than later.

Raist

Banned
IMO this whole announcement shows some hidden fears of MS.

First they announce a 6% clock increase to a previously unannounced GPU clock rate? Why?

Well there were stories not to long ago that MS was asking developers what they wanted more from the XB1, this is where the 12GB RAM rumors got strong. Well apparently they got feedback that the GPU was too weak so MS went to the engineers and asked what they could get this late in the game. What they got was a 6% bump to the GPU clock.

Seems most of us were right from the era of Rieko and Satham's dual GPU wild days, they can't change much this late in the game. It also shows that they are really trying to change the news cycles buy announcing minute details only developers were previously privy to. This falls in line with all info MS has been feeding DF, they are trying to change the narrative. The days of PR from talking heads like Captain Nelson are dead, now it is controlled leaks, astro turf and bizarre tech announcements.

Because they got the DRM and indie stuff out of the way and still see a lot of people going "well whatevs, the PS4 is cheaper and has better specs".

So now all of a sudden specs are very important and they find hidden pikmins boosting their hardware everywhere. Also clouds. Lots and lots of clouds.

Portugeezer

I want to punch that guys face. Such horrible character design.

Yeah we fucking know already, jeez.

I'm not seeing why this game is getting fluffed so much here. It looks like a solid game but nothing groundbreaking.

The graphics are cool but the gameplay looks average.

Maybe because Infamous 1 and 2 were great. I agree, from what we have seen (of which has been very little and early work) it looks okay, however people like Infamous.

Last minute clock speed bumps trigger a red flag to me. You can't just increase it without taking a hit on hardware reliability. Microsoft should have learned their lesson from the 360.

On the other hand they have this huge box with an external power supply. Plenty of room for cooling purposes. I think it needn't go at the cost of hardware reliability. However, the console might turn out not as quiet as it was originally meant to be.

bGanci

Banned
I'm not tech-savvy, so I personally have no idea what the power difference is going to translate into, exactly. The Xbone will most likely be fine, graphics-wise, but it's quite possible that the difference in multiplatform titles will be enough to persuade some people into going with the PS4, because let's not forget, the main appeal of these two consoles are arguably the third party (multiplatform) titles, so the huge majority of their libraries will be identical. So, in that sense, I agree completely with what you said; it's all about the games. But that's precisely what will play in detriment of Microsoft. Given how both consoles will be so very similar not just in their libraries, but also in a lot of other aspects, it makes sense that people would gravitate towards the most powerful one, even if this difference in power ended up being very, very small.

Kinect is one of the main (and few) things that distinguishes both systems from each other, but the hardcore market isn't responding very well to it. Even Microsoft seems to be puzzled as to what to do with it beyond the casual market. The fact that they had no Kinect games to show at E3 speaks volumes. Now, one could argue here that hardcore gamers don't want Kinect games, so Microsoft was just giving them what they wanted. But if that's the case, why make Kinect mandatory at all? Why force hardcore gamers to pay a considerably superior amount of money for something that this demographic doesn't want, as Microsoft themselves seem to be acknowledging? It just seems to me that Microsoft is making the same mistake as the Wii U; that is, trying to catch both the hardcore and casual demographics, with the end result being a product that satisfies neither, and which feels directionless, in contrast to the PS4, which has always been branded towards hardcore gamers. That's precisely what I was alluding to earlier when I was talking about how PS4 is a machine focused first and foremost in games.
Wouldn't the main appeal be exclusives? Also wouldn't you say the casual market is much greater than the hardcore?

100% agree with this. So boring that I didn't even bother being "bad" to see what happens with that play thru. The new one looks great, but I'm not a graphics first guy.

Odrion

Banned
The upclock is good news! But I guess this is Microsoft silently confirming the rumored clock speed if they found it so important to announce an upclock?

edit: I think being able to code to the metal is more important though.

NIGHT-

Gameplay mechanics is not the same thing as what you're describing in your opinion here (world, missions, etc.). The gameplay mechanics in infamous are among the best there is.

Doesn't matter how well the game mechanics are if the world is boring and lifeless and the missions are repetive. Crackdown has a more interesting world and better gameplay mechanics IMO

Clearly, they are realizing that their hardware is considerably weaker. Especially as this generation may also be a marathon the difference will definately be noticable. If performance wasn´t a problem in the first place they won´t even bother.

Let´s see, if Sony can transform the additional horse power into something, that even the average customer will notice. Bad thing for MS if this happens sooner than later.

They are realizing their hardware is super weak, so in response they made a upclock that does not make any significant change.

C'mon guys, get real, the only reason anyone even make such a tiny overclock is because they can do without messing any of their plans/goals. Which means it's most likely the higher they can go with units in production and without changing a thing of their cooling system.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They got Marc on the podcast and he mentioned it pretty casually, the others on the podcast afterwards even basically made fun of it, they didn't make a big deal out of it because its seemingly not very much of a bump.
Websites looking for headlines made a big deal out of it and then Gaf loves to hate anything Xbox One related claiming how desperate they are. Its not like Microsoft sent out some big press release.
On the other hand, Sony has some slightly negative rumours regarding its RAM allocation (if true) and everyone denies it and gets upset despite Sony commenting on it officially and still declining to deny it.
I highly doubt MS are feeding anything to Digital Foundry.

Yes, it was all a casual slip of the tongue. This stuff is under heavy NDA, if it comes out publicly it is by design, especially when it drums up the forum warriors and positive news cycles. I would guess MS has been in heavy PR fight back modes for weeks now. Of course it is not organic positive PR, it is manufactured.

Jac_Solar

That's, like, around 2 fps increase on average? It's not a bad thing, of course, assuming that they managed to do this while keeping it cool.

HyperV

Banned
Last minute clock speed bumps trigger a red flag to me. You can't just increase it without taking a hit on hardware reliability. Microsoft should have learned their lesson from the 360.

And you assume they haven't been testing that for a while, because........?

Just because they've announced this today (via a podcast), doesn't mean they not been planning this for a while.

SMZC

Graphics don't make a game great. Graphics won't stop Infamous from being boring again if it's the same style of play as the first two games. Part 1 I beat, but bored me to hell by the end of the game. Same missions over and over.. boring.

Of the countless people who will be buying GTA V, wanna bet that not even 75% will finish the campaign?

It's the same thing with Infamous. Seriously, who cares if the campaign sucks, if the game gives you amazing powers to play and mess around with in an interesting world? Freedom. It's the main appeal of open world games. Always has been.

Logash

I hear part 2 is a huge improvement but I don't really like the games either. They are just something I can't get into. That being said, I enjoy Sony exclusives more than Microsoft's so even if Sony didn't have the best hardware I would still choose the PS4 over the Xbox One.

Considering how higher ups at MS have been wrong in the past, I'm tossing a coin to determine the veracity of any further statements they make.

When has Whitten been wrong? He's been pretty straightforward through the whole mess.

inFamous is great. I not sure what it has to do with this thread.

Yes, it was all a casual slip of the tongue. This stuff is under heavy NDA, if it comes out publicly it is by design, especially when it drums up the forum warriors and positive news cycles. I would guess MS has been in heavy PR fight back modes for weeks now. Of course it is not organic positive PR, it is manufactured.

I didn't say it was organic, but its not like they said "Hey guyz we got some huge information for you coming up!". He gave us an update on the system and they mentioned it.

Not to mention, it comes from MS themselves, its not like Sony employees discussing PS4 is organic either. Its no different for either companies.

Hindle

Banned
So my understanding is they're making the console more powerful? Specs and hardware are not something I know a lot about or interest me, but it's good I suppose if they're increasing the power.

B.O.O.M

CBoat wasn't wrong about the tears that's for sure...I mean yikes.

anyways good news and shouldn't the thread title be updated saying confirmed or something?

NIGHT-

Of the countless people who will be buying GTA V, wanna bet that not even 75% will finish the campaign?

It's the same thing with Infamous. Seriously, who cares if the campaign sucks, if the game gives you amazing powers to play and mess around with in an interesting world? Freedom. It's the main appeal of open world games. Always has been.

You can't even compare the 2. There are nearly endless amounts of things to do the GTA games without touching the story. Not to mention, the city's feel a living breathing world in the GTA games, while you can't say the same in games like infamous and prototype

Infamous is far from GTA in terms of what's going on in the City imo. At least the first. Not sure if part 2 was more GTA, but I think there's a huge difference between messing around in GTA with all the mini games and online aspect of the game over messing around running around in Infamous.

But that's just me.

Is that gameplay? It looks significantly better than the gameplay clips I've seen (which still look pretty damn good, but suffer from some issues, especially when the view distance increases).

Also, what is it doing in a thread about the Xbox 1 GPU speed? LOL.

who said this was last minute? We're only hearing about it now. Could have been this way for many months.

also, I'm sure they tested this. What do you think?

farisr

So my understanding is they're making the console more powerful? Specs and hardware are not something I know a lot about or interest me, but it's good I suppose if they're increasing the power.

Yup, got a slight bump. Like 6% (GPU wise). Something is better than nothing.

bGanci

Banned
Is that gameplay? It looks significantly better than the gameplay clips I've seen (which still look pretty damn good, but suffer from some issues, especially when the view distance increases).

Also, what is it doing in a thread about the Xbox 1 GPU speed? LOL.
Does any Xbox one thread ever stay Xbox one?lol

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm noticing a trend on here lately that any type of good news info for the X1 is completely flipped right away into something bad.

I'm also noticing a trend as well. Except this is a trend of confirmation bias and persecution complex that comes out every time realism is in brought into a discussion about Xbone. Nobody is picking on Xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom