• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U) Details/Screens (E3 2012)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Trine 2: Director’s Cut, exclusively for the Wii U, features the critically acclaimed original Trine 2 game, a number of enhancements and gameplay polish, alongside a new game mode called “Magic Mayhem”, designed exclusively for the Wii U.

Trine 2 is a sidescrolling game of action, puzzles and platforming. You play as one of the Three Heroes who make their way through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world. The game features an exciting adventure full of action, including physics-based puzzles using fire, water, gravity and magic; wicked goblins on a quest to ruin the kingdom for good; and a magical environment full of wonder.

For the first time in the series, Trine 2 introduces online cooperative multiplayer support for up to three players, alongside the local multiplayer mode.

The upcoming new expansion campaign, Trine 2: The Goblin Menace, will also be released on the Wii U at launch as a console exclusive.

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U exclusive & launch title)

Key Features

 “The Developers' vision” fully formed
 Improved gameplay and a myriad of level changes
 Over 100 minor changes to the original game, including improved gameplay, level changes, new vocals and character interactions and user experience improvements
 New control system designed for the Wii U
 Special multiplayer features for the New Controller and support for up to three Wii Remote™ controllers.
 Improved console graphics only available on the Wii U
 New collectible shards that unlock a new non-campaign game level featuring all-new puzzles
 Campaign support for the new skills in The Goblin Menace expansion

Trine 2: Magic Mayhem (included in the Director’s Cut)

 An all-new “party mode” for up to 4 players
 Online or offline multiplayer
 More details to be announced soon

Trine 2: The Goblin Menace

 Add-on content for Trine 2: Director’s Cut
 A new adventure featuring the heroic trio in a tall tale of goblin menace
 6 new levels chock-full of new puzzles, hazards, enemies and contraptions
 New skills for each character with new possibilities for puzzle solving
 Completely new environments ranging from burning desert to snowy mountains to the insides of a giant sand whale

Trine 2: Director's Cut and Trine 2: The Goblin Menace expansion campaign will be released at the launch of the Wii U. Trine 2 is currently available on Steam for PC/Mac, the Mac App Store, Linux, Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Characters

Amadeus the Wizard
Despite his ongoing research for finally learning the Fireball spell, the Wizard's talent is for conjuring peculiar boxes, and occasionally even planks. He can also levitate small inanimate objects.
Amadeus is married to a lady by the name of Margaret. They have three children, all of whom know the Fireball spell.

Pontius the Knight
The Knight is an eager champion of the kingdom, the protector of the common man with a great sense of justice. Armed with his sword, his shield and the powerful Storm Hammer, he's a formidable fighter.
Pontius's great weakness is food. This shows around his waist.

Zoya the Thief
The Thief makes her way up to rooftops and over walls with her trusty grappling hook. Zoya is not so concerned about family or duty, but she is content to be a hero of the Trine, for she loves adventure.
Zoya's love for treasure, however, often leads her astray.

desert_warriorwae6n.jpg

dragon_thief37cz3.jpg

sewers_tentaclesi8ec2.jpg

sewers_warrioryucbd.jpg

swamp_thiefg7ctc.jpg

swamp_thief2iwiqt.jpg

icecastle_wizard00ew4.jpg

lava_thief5ycdu.jpg

mainmenu_thiefhfdjk.jpg

mountains_warrior9lebq.jpg

mushroomcave_coop07d08.jpg

ruins_goblinking4gdec.jpg

ruins_warrioraiig2.jpg

sewers_coopamf10.jpg

art

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Improved console graphics only available on the Wii U"

It can't get any more obvious, Wii U has more power than PS360. There, done. Thank you FrozenByte, thanks to your tech demo we can move on.

Jonm1010

Banned
Nice to see the WiiU will have a bit more horsepower than ps/360, I was getting worried.

"Improved console graphics only available on the Wii U"

It can't get any more obvious, Wii U has more power than PS360. There, done. Thank you FrozenByte, thanks to your tech demo we can move on.
No need to be pretentious about it. Given what we saw today with the games shown it is pretty understanding to be concerned.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I liked the original Trine. Online co-op plus the new vistas make this a buy for me.

Sciz

Best looking Wii U game so far. In all honesty.
Trine 2 is one of the best looking games on any system. FrozenByte's artists are ridiculously talented.

Shame about their game designers, but hopefully all the changes means they learned something.

jdforge

Banned
There should have been games like this!

It looks delicious, and great to see a developer putting in actual effort.

Hero

Where is this talk of it being a retail release originating from? I don't think they would expect people to pay 50 dollars to play a director's cut of a 15 dollar downloadable title. If they do then they're fucking nuts.

Sciz

Are those screens from other versions or Wii-U?

It looks fucking gorgeous.

I've been using the shot of the octopus as my wallpaper for months. Not sure how the console versions turned out, but you can certainly make the PC version look like that. No reason the WiiU can't do just as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'll be fucking pissed if this "exclusivity" means there's no expansion coming to PC...

The upcoming new expansion campaign, Trine 2: The Goblin Menace, will also be released on the Wii U at launch as a console exclusive.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No need to be pretentious about it. Given what we saw today with the games shown it is pretty understanding to be concerned.

What must you people have thought when Perfect Dark Zero and Genji 2 were unveiled?

Meier

I was BLOWN AWAY by this during the presser. I got Trine as a part of a Humble Indie Bundle but haven't played it.. definitely need to now. Hopefully this is only $20 or whatever it costs on Steam because it will fail otherwise.

Alex

I was BLOWN AWAY by this during the presser. I got Trine as a part of a Humble Indie Bundle but haven't played it.. definitely need to now. Hopefully this is only $20 or whatever it costs on Steam because it will fail otherwise.

I'd imagine it'll be the same 15 it is on PC.

They're not outright amazing games, but 2 is very solid. The originally isnt really worth playing anymore if you can get 2.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice to see the WiiU will have a bit more horsepower than ps/360, I was getting worried.

Pretentious? I'm just saying this game is pretty demanding and looks fantastic, so if they say the improved graphics are only possible on Wii U, it must have more power.

stuminus3

The PC version of this game is one of the most gorgeous things to ever have blessed a screen in my house, so if the Wii version can match the image quality then it'll be a very beautiful thing indeed for Wii fans. It's a pretty good game, too.

Top Bottom