• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

GSR

Personally I deal with Guardians by hitting them with a Combat Drone. They almost always turn to meet it and leave themselves wide open.

Kyari

Having yet to unlock any of the non-default characters, to what extent do the races vary? I assume it is more than cosmetic.

KKRT00

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the multiplayer.
After taking my engineer up to level 16 I tried out a vanguard, and I'm not going back ;)

Trying out silver with pugs but keep getting wiped at around wave 6 all the time, and I actually don't like seeing my score being 3 times higher than everone elses. It's fun in the beginning but I'm only average so I must keep getting matched with immature kids or something.

I've added a few of you guys here, if anyone want to put me on the ME3 list just add:

Origin: SKoplik80

I think Human Vanguard is the most unbalanced class, it destroys bronze, is average on Silver and probably useless on Gold. Yes it has big damage burst, but You are teleporting into the enemies and dont have any range skills. I dont see this class being viable on gold at all.
Someone was testing it and can confirm?

No, the best way to take out Phantoms is CHARGE NOVA

Statis->warp->warp->singularity->warp :)

X-Frame

Every single new character I've unlocked, bar one (which was my starter pack, ironically) has been a double up of a human character of the same gender.

I've had at least ten 'character unlocks' without unlocking anything.

I am wondering if I should stop buying Veteran Packs and just buy the Recruit packs. Can you receive characters in those?

Buying 4 of those for ever 1 of the Veteran packs seems like it would be worth it because of my luck. All I want is ONE damn new race. Lol.

rozay

Banned
]blacky[;35277739 said:
Why it is not possible to run around corners?
Hold up on the control stick then hold A. Hold left-right on the stick then press A to roll/move to a piece of cover across from you and click the left stick to move to other sides of cover.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
]blacky[;35277739 said:
Why it is not possible to run around corners?

It is possible, it's just that the characters have very stiff turning when running and a much wider turn radius.

Having yet to unlock any of the non-default characters, to what extent do the races vary? I assume it is more than cosmetic.

They each have a bunch of unique characteristics that go beyond cosmetic. Different abilities, dodge moves and the lack thereof, health levels. I think I recall there being hidden passive bonuses to things like accuracy and power strength as well.

I am wondering if I should stop buying Veteran Packs and just buy the Recruit packs. Can you receive characters in those?

Buying 4 of those for ever 1 of the Veteran packs seems like it would be worth it because of my luck. All I want is ONE damn new race. Lol.

If you want new characters you'll need to stick with the veterans. You'll only get human characters in recruit packs.

Samara

Nice. I completed 3 missions in a row on silver. It's much easier when the team is diverse.

And holy hell at Vanguard/Infiltrator. This guy killed a guardian with the widow.

I've yet to see a drell adept with Reave tho. I wanna see that.

questions: Is there friendly fire? And if I quit midgame, so does the team? What are termal clips good for?

I'm planning to play for an hour or so, let's go PSN! PSN: sweetwasabi

RyanDG

Nice. I completed 3 missions in a row on silver. It's much easier when the team is diverse.

And holy hell at Vanguard/Infiltrator. This guy killed a guardian with the widow.

I've yet to see a drell adept with Reave tho. I wanna see that.

A question: Is there friendly fire? And if I quit midgame, so does the team?

I love using shockwave and point blanking guardian's in the face as a vanguard.

So satisfying.

KKRT00

A question: Is there friendly fire? And if I quit midgame, so does the team?

No and no. On PC actually You can rejoin really easy when playing with friends.
Its great way to change bad layout and i saw even situation that when all players are dead or near dead, and party leader leaves the game, the wave resets and all players are revived :p - can be quite exploited sometimes to not lose the progress.

Orca

My favorite move is cloaking then stepping in front of a Guardian to snipe them point blank in the head through the eye slot. Or just hit them with a Stasis so they freeze and drop the shield

Samara

No and no. On PC actually You can rejoin really easy when playing with friends.
Its great way to change bad layout and i saw even situation that when all players are dead or near dead, and party leader leaves the game, the wave resets and all players are revived :p - can be quite exploited sometimes to not lose the progress.

I see. Cause some players color their armor the same way as the enemies. They look just the same, so I just shoot! And the restart scare was due to me being sucked in the game.

People: wear bright colors!

Mindlog

The trick I found with the vanguard is to maximize power recharge by going in with a pistol and SMG or just a shotgun. Th other really important thing is to pick up the version of charge the regens shields. I find the vast majority of my kills come from nova at this point. I'm completely useless against atlas mechs though.
Useless against Atlas?
ME2-crank-statham.png

The last silver match I played was my level 20 Vanguard and a level 20 Drell Vanguard. There may have been two other players. The Drell Vanguard kept up surprisingly well. It was using the Hornet as a main weapon. I may have to try that out. Drell grenades after a Nova is extremely effective. 2 Vanguards charging an Atlas has some comedy value to it.

The only thing as great as multiple Vanguards is multiple Krogan. The laugh always gets me.

I'm going to hold out on Gold until there are more high level Asari adepts. So many phantoms. When I'm done Nova bombing one another has snuck up on me.

rozay

Banned
just bought 2 vet packs and got 2 salarian infiltrators, wish there was a way to trade with people who actually want them :(

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Finally completed Silver for the first time. Even better, it was with only three people and without mics. An Infiltrator, a Human Adept, and me, the Asari Adept. We were cleaning up the whole damn place. The only troublesome part was the final standoff before extraction. It was there that I realized just how damn useful a cloaked Infiltrator is when reviving teammates.

I tried Gold once, but there's no way I'm ready for that. It's fucking ridiculous what the game throws at you early on.

Niblet

I really dig the multiplayer, but I made a decision not to buy ME3 until all the dlc is released and the game goes on sale for PC. ($20 or cheaper). That being the case, I fear the multiplayer will be dead by then. If I was confident this multiplayer would stay fresh for more than a month $60 would be fair. However, I'm not. I feel like there could be a few more elements to the mode. Perhaps the extra enemy types and maps will do it.

Astery

Again, anyone on origin who can play some decent silver and gold games add me please :) I can't comprehend how much randoms and matchmaking suck...and the EA server.
origin id: Kaiserihind

Dunkelgrau

Hold up on the control stick then hold A. Hold left-right on the stick then press A to roll/move to a piece of cover across from you and click the left stick to move to other sides of cover.

Well, that is not what I meant. What I meant is the run-mechanic (hold "A" and walk). I tested it an ME2 and ME3 MP: Even the camera does not pan correctly, when you try to sprint around the corner. The cover-feature could be one reason for this behavior, because when you sprint and left or right from you is a wall, your avatar goes in cover.

I made several walkthroughs but never realized this "issue". But in multiplayer I often have run away ;) and so I noticed it.

Untracked

I hate Phantoms. They always sneak up behind me and ruin everything... bastards.

Had some really great games today with various randoms, reached level 27 and finally beat Wave 10 on Bronze. I've got a nice Soldier setup that only carries the Viper sniper rifle. Powers recharge 90% faster, so I spam Concussive Shot every two seconds. Also working on a Vanguard but I keep getting myself in very bad situations with it. I'm absolutely addicted to the MP, it's really intense and teamwork is essential. I just wish I could convince some of my friends to give it a try, the miserable buggers aren't interested.

Can't wait to see some new enemy groups and locations. Very impressed so far, I need to play more. Will attempt to tackle Silver tomorrow.

]blacky[;35281906 said:
Well, that is not what I meant. What I meant is the run-mechanic (hold "A" and walk). I tested it an ME2 and ME3 MP: Even the camera does not pan correctly, when you try to sprint around the corner. The cover-feature could be one reason for this behavior, because when you sprint and left or right from you is a wall, your avatar goes in cover.

I made several walkthroughs but never realized this "issue". But in multiplayer I often have run away ;) and so I noticed it.

The camera will not rotate as fast as you can to run, so just take wide angles around corners to keep on running so the camera can turn enough. I think that is what you are after?

XBL: BaroqueSampson

I'm good to play most nights! (EST)

The only level I've not beaten is gold. I play with a pretty solid crew from the Penny-Arcade forums a lot. But my preferred class is Drell Vanguard so I'm flimsier than wet tissue paper.

Yup, also beat silver earlier this evening. Felt good mane.

With a good team though, generally bronze is pretty straight forward. Beat many many bronzes now. Silver gets pretty bonkers though lol.

rozay

Banned
]blacky[;35281906 said:

Gotcha. I need to play gears 3 and see how maneuverability in that game is, but I don't mind the more weighty run. Now that you mention it, sometimes I can run around corners/obstacles but if you rotate the stick too far past the left or right you just stop running. I HATE how slow your character walks in this game, maybe because of how fast everything else is.

Running in this game is still better than running in the previous 2 games though. As diablohead said, take wider angles to help turn the camera.

I also didn't realize that different levels of mods are visually different. Running around with a black scimitar shotgun now.

Is anyone doing that Facebook thing with the Mass Efect 3 demo where you get friends to download it?

Also, I'll be on late night for some multiplayer action. XBL: NihonTiger90

Is the sentinel any good? I mentioned earlier that I've unlocked a Turian one, but I haven't had the chance to test it just yet. My Engineer has been awesome so far, so it'll be tough changing to another character if the Sentinel ends up being a good class to play.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The Multiplayer in ME3's demo is maybe the best surprise I've had in gaming..

I went in with a sense of pure dread...

Came out singing about roses and daffodils etc.

An abrubt 180 degree turn that has left me stoked.

Bring on release day!.. hurry up!!

- ME3 Demo gives you multiplayer privileges regardless of Gold status
- Try to accept friend's invite
- "You need Gold membership to play MP games online"
- Fucking MS.

- ME3 Demo gives you multiplayer privileges regardless of Gold status
- Try to accept friend's invite
- "You need Gold membership to play MP games online"
- Fucking MS.

Yeah, you need to be in the demo itself to accept an invite. The game treats you as a gold member when you're in-game, you can even use party chat. When you're in another game, it won't.

Is the sentinel any good? I mentioned earlier that I've unlocked a Turian one, but I haven't had the chance to test it just yet. My Engineer has been awesome so far, so it'll be tough changing to another character if the Sentinel ends up being a good class to play.

From the little I played I found them pretty useless, because tech armor doesn't act like a second shield anymore and you have to trigger the explosion. If you are going to be up close and personal might as well run around as a Vanguard with the crazy charge spam.

From the little I played I found them pretty useless, because tech armor doesn't act like a second shield anymore and you have to trigger the explosion. If you are going to be up close and personal might as well run around as a Vanguard with the crazy charge spam.

Sounds like I'll just be sticking with my Engineer then, thanks for that.

Tis a shame, since I really would've liked a to play a Turian. Hopefully I'll get another species as an Engineer soon enough.

rozay

Banned

I think its too early to tell if it's completely useless yet. Though it seems that with the limited points you get in multi player it isn't worth levelling it over your other powers.

Top Bottom