• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
JonTron should really formally apologize, disavow the "alt-center" youtube groupthink, and make efforts to to make amends (donations and outreach). Never fall for the reactionary meme.

I don't see that happening though.

I totally forgot he was going to even have his voice in the game.

Big thumbs up to Playtonic! Looking forward to buying the game, regardless of whether it meets expectations or not. We need more 3D platformers!

Beartruck

Considering Jontron is a huge Banzo Kazooie fan, that HAS to sting a bit. The creators of your favorite thing publicly disavowing you.

I didnt know that, really?

I don't know where that's coming from. There was one time dunkey made a vid mocking the h3h3 vs leafy controversy by attacking Jon. He has also briefly referenced game grumps and jon in a couple of his other vids...that's it I think.

Dunk has also appeared in a video of mega64's rocco so I'm sure there's a network of youtube gaming going on in general, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them friends.

well_done_sir.gif

Good job.

BUT HIS FREE SPEECH!

At this point I wouldn't risk it, assume all youtubers are scum, safer that way.

While wee are seeing a lot of youtuber really show their true colours it's kind of a broad approach to assume all youtubers are like this. For example PBG, supported the women's march and called out Jon for his shit.

JonTron should really formally apologize, disavow the "alt-center" youtube groupthink, and make efforts to to make amends (donations and outreach). Never fall for the reactionary meme.

I don't see that happening though.

After what he said I frankly don't really care what he does. He is an asshole for the foreseeable future.

Years ago a BK video from this dude was recommended to me and it was the most obnoxious trash. Even if it didn't come from some deluded racist pos, internet """humour""" needs to stay out of games either way.

Plum

I can't help but feel a tad sad that this is gonna a "win win" situation for both Playtonic and Jon. Playtonic for obvious reasons, but with Jon he can now play the victim to his base to garner sympathy. Though really all that matters is that he isn't in YK anymore, good on Playtonic for taking a stance.

Good. These youtubers opinions affect millions of children. As Jim Sterling put it in his article posted earlier, these assholes need consequences to the unforgivably behaviour they then share with millions of children.

gngf123

Removed via an upcoming content patch? So the game's going to still be released with him in it?

That's unfortunate

The game is already finished, discs are already being printed.

There's nothing they can really do for those except to retroactively remove him with an update.

Endo Punk

Losing a few subscribers won't effect him but losing his status in the industry, that'll hurt. Very good move by playtonic.

Play-Tonic is a business, and this shit with JonTron is bad for business, so at some point, whether or not they disagree with him, they have to cut him or they'll be seen as being involved with his mess as far as outside opinions are concerned.

Edit: But we'll obviously see people who get real angry about this, that's a guarantee.

At this point I wouldn't risk it, assume all youtubers are scum, safer that way.

That's a pretty wild assumption though.
There are way too many who do videos on YouTube for a living and only the lowest percentage of them are actually on the same level of JonTron in terms of ethical and political views.

For example, I wouldn't expect people like Jeremy Parish or Mark Brown to spew right-wing bullshit.

JonTron is a whole new level of stupid and sadly it unfolded only very recently.
I had great respect for the man because of his high quality videos, but sadly he just couldn't keep his super controversial and just flat out bad political views to himself, so all respect has been instantly deleted.

I don't think anyone wants to have anything to do with him right now. Not that I have any evidence for that, of course. It's just pure speculation on my part.

As I wrote in a post above, I hope this serves as a wake-up call for him.

Demy

I've seen Jontron videos. Maybe like 2 or 3 and I kinda liked them. I looked up his his controversial statements and, yeah, that shit's not cool. Good move by Playtonic but still, just sucks to hear.

ShyMel

Great news! You talk the way he did and you deserve to face the consequences. Unfortunately there are already people running again to his defense.

Fuchsdh

Yeah lol, seems like it's a ticking time bomb until every Youtuber you know has some pretty abhorrent personal beliefs come to light.

While wee are seeing a lot of youtuber really show their true colours it's kind of a broad approach to assume all youtubers are like this. For example PBG, supported the women's march and called out Jon for his shit.

Eh, I think this is more the reality that a lot of people have some aspects of their personality you'd rather not know about, except now social media has made it really plain. I mean, it's great that PBG supports treating women as equals and called a guy out for holding racist opinions, but that's also a pretty low bar to clear IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom