• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

Not necessarily, look what they are doing for the mana series on Switch. They'd have to do a little more work for 5 and 6 remakes, but they could be 2d or simple 3d with better resolution than a 3ds game and people would be happy. 3ds level development doesn't have to die just because Switch is more powerful.
FFVI in the same style as Bravely Default (in HD) would be perfectly serviceable and probably not too terribly expensive.

I'd buy it.

Hilarion

Not necessarily, look what they are doing for the mana series on Switch. They'd have to do a little more work for 5 and 6 remakes, but they could be 2d or simple 3d with better resolution than a 3ds game and people would be happy. 3ds level development doesn't have to die just because Switch is more powerful.

Alternately, they could do a Final Fantasy I 30th anniversary edition. They love remaking the original. They've done it so many times already, what's one more.

RootCause

Dream scenario for this e3
OoT & MM HD collection
Skyward Sword HD
VC(nes-GC)
Hyrule Warriors Legends DX
Metroid third person perspective adventure game
Super Mario Maker
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

I know, lots of ports. But there's plenty of new content coming out.
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
Arms
SF2UC
FE Warriors
Mario Odyssey

jorgejjvr

Is this the first time a console would have been released already before E3?

Most of the time consoles go through their pre release e3 and then release on holiday. Now Nintendo can just focus on games

Mentok

Banned
Incoming SNES Mini announcement! Seriously though, I'd expect a decent E3 from Nintendo, they got new hardware to move.

Malus

Bombs can drop regardless of it's a stage presentation or a Direct, it's a matter of if the content is compelling.

Yep. While I vastly prefer digital events and thought the "live presentation" part of their january switch event was terrible, the new games they announced got me hyped as fuck. Everything else faded into the background.

jorgejjvr

Bombs can drop regardless of it's a stage presentation or a Direct, it's a matter of if the content is compelling.
It's good showmanship to appear on stage. It can do great things if done right. I love directs but others disregard it as if Nintendo has almost no presence. They should be live on stage. Do directs throughout the year, but only ONCE every year at e3 come be live on stage.

And selfishly, I would love live reactions to things

I miss seeing them live at E3. It's been years. And the Switch is being successful, they should keep that momentum. I think live on stage is how you do it.

The live presentation in January was done in Japan and it was very Japanese. I think it could be move westernized at E3.

I've seen e3 for many years, and for the last couple, co workers, friends, family (call them casuals) felt like it was all about Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo who?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's good showmanship to appear on stage. It can do great things if done right. I love directs but others disregard it as if Nintendo has almost no presence. They should be live on stage. Do directs throughout the year, but only ONCE every year at e3 come be live on stage.

I miss seeing them live at E3. It's been years. And the Switch is being successful, they should keep that momentum. I think live on stage is how you do it.

The live presentation in January was done in Japan and it was very Japanese. I think it could be move westernized at E3.

They had literally one game to showcase last year with no live conference and many people still thought they "won" E3.

tenor.gif

Hoping it's a live conference because they are ALWAYS more memorable

I don't want to see Pokemon Stars, Xenoblade 2, whatever, without some audience interaction.

I mean it probably will be a direct but I'd like a switch up this year.

Yes please, Live conference.

jorgejjvr

They had literally one game to showcase last year with no live conference and many people still thought they "won" E3.
I understand.

As breath of the wild was/is amazing. And I think it won best game at e3, absolutely but not best conference, not that they won e3 overall. I remember the focus being that the best game shown was Zelda. I was very excited but then I get to work and people laugh because they only had one game, no matter how good it was.

LordKano

I've seen e3 for many years, and for the last couple, co workers, friends, family (call them casuals) felt like it was all about Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo who?

That's wrong.

jorgejjvr

That's wrong.
Again.

I get excited, love the presence with direct, and so do my close Nintendo die hards. But then, I go to the my Facebook feed, go to work, have casual conversations, and Nintendo is completely disregarded or out of the picture.

This could be different for others.

Neoxon

This, Zelda blew away everyone at the show-floor as well as those watching from home, & Nintendo didn't even have a Digital Event that year. Plus it's not like the major gaming sites don't advertise Nintendo's Digital Events alongside the other press conferences. And judging by the views that said Digital Events get, it's not like people outside of the Nintendo hardcore don't watch them.

jorgejjvr

PS4 is where it is right now because of a live e3 conference they nailed.

They had no games and sold so much regardless. The games are more or less here now, but they were not at launch. Yet they sold like hotcakes

There's a lot to say about good sportsmanship

Why not both?

An amazing live press conference with Direct charm. Nothing to lose but lots to gain.

Neoxon

PS4 is where it is right now because of a live e3 conference they nailed.

They had no games and sold so much regardless. The games are more or less here now, but they were not at launch. Yet they sold like hotcakes

There's a lot to say about good sportsmanship
You're overestimating the conference itself, it was more of Sony capitalizing on Microsoft's fuck-ups leading up to November 2013. By the time Microsoft undid all the DRM bullshit about the Xbox One before its launch, the damage was already done & Sony already got most of the gaming masses on their side.

LordKano

Again.

I get excited, love the presence with direct, and so do my close Nintendo die hards. But then, I go to the my Facebook feed, go to work, have casual conversations, and Nintendo is completely disregarded or out of the picture.

This could be different for others.

I mean, we have hard numbers about media coverage, mentions on social medias etc. to prove who had the biggest impact at each E3. Being showcased in a Digital Event or in a press conference has little to no bearing in awareness.

Genio88

It's hard to imagine something big first party wise for this year, after Zelda Switch will get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odissey and Xenoblade 2, can we really expect them to announce a Pokemon game for this year? i think not, i guess at E3 we will see more indies and third party stuff, but Nintendo first party lineup looks already set for 2017

jorgejjvr

You're overestimating the conference itself, it was more of Sony capitalizing on Microsoft's fuck-ups leading up to November 2013. By the time Microsoft undid all the DRM bullshit about the Xbox One before its launch, the damage was already done & Sony already got most of the gaming masses on their side.
I'm speaking solely of my own personal experience. I feel the hype between me and my brother, and when I come to gaf.

But in my daily life, people have completely disregarded Nintendo at e3 with no live e3 conference. They are a laughing stock. I've even heard they did not know they were at e3. I'm like did you not go online here to see the direct? And they are clueless.

I feel, for at least this once, they gotta make a statement that they are back. Why be the odd one out?

And again why not both? Have a charming conference but live on stage? Or a bit of both. A direct before E3 to get smaller things out of the way, and still have a live press conference.

And as a viewer, when I see bombs being dropped, we will see the live reactions. Let's at least admit we miss that. I still go back and re-watch old e3 Nintendo conference moments and they are epic with the live reactions

I just feels there's a lot to gain and nothing to lose - if done right.

phanphare

Banned
live reactions from the press always ring hollow for me. I get more out of seeing gaf blow up then hearing people in the games media cheer.

Neoxon

It's hard to imagine something big first party wise for this year, after Zelda Switch will get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odissey and Xenoblade 2, can we really expect them to announce a Pokemon game for this year? i think not, i guess at E3 we will see more indies and third party stuff, but Nintendo first party lineup looks already set for 2017
Considering that The Pokémon Company usually does reveals on their own terms & that January was a bit too close to Sun/Moon's November launch, it's not impossible to have Pokémon Stars come out this year on the Switch. And given Eurogamer's track record & them being an actual reputable gaming news site (GameCube VC & Mother 3 still pending, though Nintendo has been pretty mum about their VC plans so far), we don't have much of a reason to doubt them yet. That plus the data found in Sun/Moon pertaining to features like Pokémon walking alongside you that were likely cut from Sun/Moon due to the 3DS not being able to handle it.

There's also the likely port of Smash 4, especially due to the missing 3 Smash 4 Amiibos, which I don't think they'd sit on until 2018 seeing as they've been waiting in the wings for about a year now. Even now, they're starting to talk about the Corrin Amiibo's compatibility with FE Echoes, so something on the Smash front has to be happening sooner rather than later.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo Digital Event plus Treehouse is, by far, the best combo.

jorgejjvr

because digital events/directs are a better way of delivering information. the pacing is much better and they don't fall into the cringe worthy trappings that every presser does.
Directs are adorable, and different, but they can also be cringy. I loved the puppets (best thing about that e3), but others thought it was lame, from personal experience

How about maybe a direct and the world championships as well to mix it up? That was amazing that year.

I just think they should have some live conference presence, and it can do well for them.

I just want Nintendo to be successful

13ruce

Banned
If they announce Smash Deluxe with Adventure/Story mode i would already be satisfied. My only negative about Smash 4 was lack of such a mode.

Prologue

Sony actually included live E3 conference segments/audience reactions into their commercials, especially during the holiday season. Their "pro consumer/gamer" mentality on stage, helped spread positive word of mouth and gave them great holiday sales. They're still thought in this way by consumers.

I think you're underestimating the value that Nintendo continues to forfeit every year. Having a stage presence is better than having none. They're seen has an outsider with a white flag over their head. They haven't had a reason the last few years because they haven't had much to show. Nintendo only fans can't carry the system alone, as you can see with the Wii U.

The top selling console still performs on stage, when they have every reason not to. Nintendo bows out, and that is still looked at as a positive thing?

phanphare

Banned
Nintendo Digital Event plus Treehouse is, by far, the best combo.

yep. Nintendo's E3 showing from 2014 is the GoaT for me largely because the Digital Event > presser and Treehouse Live > someone's first play impressions.

Directs are adorable, and different, but they can also be cringy. I loved the puppets (best thing about that e3), but others thought it was lame, from personal experience

How about maybe a direct and the world championships as well to mix it up? That was amazing that year.

I just think they should have some live conference presence, and it can do well for them.

I just want Nintendo to be successful

they can be cringey but in a different way and also a way that can easily be moved on from because of the superior pacing. with pressers the cringey parts are essentially baked into the format. the introduce person -> dubstep as they walk out -> cringey joke about being at E3 or forced crowd interaction or whatever. and that's just the tip of the iceberg. its just antiquated and at E3 there are too many in succession making them more grating as they go on. that's why Sony's E3 this past year was so well received, because they avoided a lot of the standard pitfalls of the E3 presser. that's what Directs do as well.

I do think the Nintendo World Championship should be annual. that's the kind of live event that is actually hype, where you're getting fan reactions. the mega man final smash was such a great moment.

jorgejjvr

Sony actually included live E3 conference segments/audience reactions into their commercials, especially during the holiday season. Their "pro consumer/gamer" mentality on stage, helped spread positive word of mouth and gave them great holiday sales. They're still thought in this way by consumers.

I think you're underestimating the value that Nintendo continues to forfeit every year. Having a stage presence is better than having none. They're seen has an outsider with a white flag over their head. They haven't had a reason the last few years because they haven't had much to show. Nintendo only fans can't carry the system alone, as you can see with the Wii U.

The top selling console still performs on stage, when they have every reason not to. Nintendo bows out, and that is still looked at as a positive thing?
This

And now they have Switch, and things to show. This year there's no excuse.

Completely agree with this.

I'll repeat, I feel they have nothing to lose and everything to gain with a live press conference done right.

Prologue

I have never once found a crowd's reaction at all interesting. If anything, it adds wasted dead air, and keynote speakers will pause for crowd reaction. Such a waste, especially when the crowd is filled with paid shills like Microsoft does every year.

Kingdom hearts 3 trailer?

Mirror Edge announcement?

The Last Guardian release date?

Shemume?

Every main Halo annocuement?

PS4 used games/price announcement?

Xbox backwards compatibility?

Final Fantasy 7 announcement?

You didn't find any of those interesting?

jorgejjvr

Shemume?

All major reactions on youtube have well over 100k views.
And they are freaking amazing

They are better because of it

I'll re-watch just for the the reaction again

JoeM86

live reactions from the press always ring hollow for me. I get more out of seeing gaf blow up then hearing people in the games media cheer.

Not to mention the times cheering only came from the staff of the company or was piped through the speakers...

Best scenario :
-New IP
-Pikmin 3
-Metroid Prime 4
-Tingle gets his own game
-Some more remasters

Worst scenario :
-Pikmin 3
-remasters

Wishful thinking :
-Metroid Prime 4
-Retro's new IP
-Luigis Mansion 3
-Capcom brings Yo Noid back exclusive on switch
-Tingle

Plinko

Shemume?

You didn't find any of those interesting?

Not because of crowd reaction. Never has any effect on me.

B.O.O.M

Reading some of the comments here makes it sound like Nintendo directs have the best pacing ever compared to live conferences or something. Some of them are boring and dragged out as hell. I remember they once had a segment about Yoshi's wool yarn or something and talked about yarn...YARN.

here I think this was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlSvTPquUXQ

Yes amazing, exciting and riveting content. Please. No matter the choice, direct or live conferences, it's about the content and delivery. I'm a big fan of live conferences, they r just so much more exciting to me as a fan. You can do a great live conference with minimal boring fluff. Both Sony and MS have done so in the recent years. So I hope Nintendo do one and do it well this year. If they don't think live conferences are valuable they wouldn't have done one with switch (even if it was poorly done). Anyways hoping for a fun showing from the big three this year! New hardware is always exciting times.

Best scenario :
-New IP
-Pikmin 3
-Metroid Prime 4
-Tingle gets his own game
-Some more remasters

Worst scenario :
-Pikmin 3
-remasters

Wishful thinking :
-Metroid Prime 4
-Retro's new IP