• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pawn:

ASmpo.jpg
FtCp8.jpg
Decided to tweak my pawn:

t2PeX.jpg
p7PaR.jpg

Vamphuntr

I had a lot of fun with the two short demo sections. I was already planning to get the game anyway so it doesn't change my opinion much. It would have been fun to be able to change class and see the skill trees for each class. I have to say it's one of the rare time I had fun playing an archer/rogue and I might go for that in the full version.

Solid07

Banned
The combat seems very... simple. Not much strategy involved from what I've played. Just slash slash slash and you'll be just fine.

I was hoping the combat system would be like that of Dark Souls or 3D Zelda games where you would have to block and carefully place your attack.

I can wait for its price to drop to $20.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Since some people asked earlier these are the settings for my main and pawn,

For detail sliders farthest left will be considered 1 in this guide:

KzZYg.jpg
cZiC9.jpg

Face:

Hairstyle 19, Color Red
Face Shape 37, Head Size 5(middle), Skin Color: Top Left
Eyes 10, Vertical 2, Spacing 2, Size 5, Eye Color Green
Brows 32, Vertical 3, Spacing 4, Brow Color Red
Nose 4, Vertical 2, Size 3
Mouth 31, Vertical 3
Ears 5, Vertical 4, Position 2

Body:

Stature Height 7, Weight 3, Skin Color: Top Left
Build Musculature 2, Bust Size 4
Torso 2
Arms 2
Legs 7
Stance Posture 3, Stance 3

t2PeX.jpg
p7PaR.jpg

Face:

Hairstyle 23, Color Black
Face Shape 10, Head Size 5(middle), Skin Color: Middle Column 6
Eyes 04, Vertical 2, Spacing 2, Size 4, Eye Color: Blue
Brows 19, Vertical 1, Spacing 2, Brow Color: Black
Nose 4, Vertical 2, Size 3
Mouth 28, Vertical 4
Ears 2, Vertical 3, Position 3

Body:

Stature Height 4, Weight 2, Skin Color: Middle Column 6
Build Musculature 2, Bust Size 4
Torso 7
Arms 9
Legs 7
Stance Posture 2, Stance 3

Makeup 2, Color: Black

burgerdog

Just got done with the demo. Game looked gorgeous, really fantastic presentation. Framerate wasn't constant 30, but it was LIGHT YEARS better than what I played at E3 last year. Video walkthrough's to come.

What. Was it a slide shot at e3? So this means that the code is fairly recent, hmmm

In RE5 people hate the ai of your partner, too dumb, makes the game harder.

In DD, people hate the ai of your pawns, too good, makes the game easy.

You should have useful partners in a challenging game. Problem solved. If you have brain dead partners, then don't have them to begin with.

Chao

I...I don't even see them.

Edit: Oh wait there they are. I didn't even notice them

I didn't notice them in the three times I've played the demo so far, knowing they were there beforehand. So yeah that shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to take a better look at them next time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How the hell am I supposed to wait an entire month for this game?

Really wish the demo was released like two weeks from now... to make the wait more tolerable.

Anteater

The combat seems very... simple. Not much strategy involved from what I've played. Just slash slash slash and you'll be just fine.

I was hoping the combat system would be like that of Dark Souls or 3D Zelda games where you would have to block and carefully place your attack.

I can wait for its price to drop to $20.

You do need to block, the pawns in the demo are just killing everything, since it's a prologue, play through it again solo and you'll need to block a lot.

kyubajin

Waited nearly 2 hours for the US demo to download, installed the motha-effer and liked it very much. I got very confused with all the move set and overload of information while fighting the bosses but overall it was very good. Can't wait for the game.

QP3

Haha I like how a wider foot angle is more macho.

Anyways, only played the prologue but liked it. The game felt similar but also different, hard to explain.

Pawn system seems cool, they feel like actual players and not useless turds.

Only negative so far is that there seemed like a lot of clutter on the screen, although this could partly be due to the tutorial tips popping up.

branny

I've been replaying the demo over and over after spending a crapload of time making my character and pawn. Random things I've noticed:

• Your clothes get wet when you roll in water.
  • ...Your lantern also goes out if you roll into water when it's lit. You need to unequip it and re-equip it again.
  • You can run around in the Countryside Quest avoiding the griffon for as long as you want. It starts right before sunset, but you can explore all through the night and into the following morning.
  • As far as I could tell, nothing changes in the demo when night falls beyond not being able to see anything.
  • You can kill the griffon without bothering with the trolls, but they will likely come to its aid sometime during the battle.
  • If you don't revive your pawns in time, they will expire and disappear.
  • If you're on a precarious ledge, your character will briefly teeter to prevent any surprise falls.
  • You will be slightly "magnetized" to uneven surfaces.
  • Jump height is not augmented by how long you hold the button down, and you can perform most ground attacks during regular jumps.
  • I don't think there's any difference between throwing objects with light attack vs. heavy attack.
  • Your pawns will dust themselves off after you pick them up and throw them.
  • Adjusting the camera in attempt to get a close look at your pawns is futile--they will move out of the way so as to not obstruct your vision.
  • Turn off "Cinematic Camera" in the options menu to make things more enjoyable.

Anteater

Yea it seems that a heavy attack from a boss will drain your stamina if you block it, had like half and did a normal block on a heavy attack and it broke my block and drained my stamina.

Also Stamina stops regening if you hold block in a fight

I feel dumb. How do I download the demo for 360? I went games->demos->dragon's dogma and all it would let me do is rate it.

edit: upgraded to Gold for shits and giggles and now the download button shows up.

Himself

I like the concept enough, but the framerate was miserable on ps3. Maybe I'm spoiled from DMC/god of war/Bayonetta. Is it better on 360?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
havent been following this all that much, but the demo has completely wowed and sold me on the game!

i've heard the demo isnt a great representation of what the actual game offers though. can someone clue me in on what i can expect?

Buggy Loop

I've been watching this game for months now and the demo, although limited, convince me to buy it! Since i played Dark souls im addicted to these type of games from japan. And it reminds me of monster hunter, which i love.

But WHY do i have black bars top and bottom? Dont tell me they're going for 2:35 ratio <_<;

It was pretty good.
The controls were excellent in a way of using the shoulder buttons as whole new set of attacks (holding LB [360] to use a bow in Griffin battle). And I especially loved it when you grab onto larger creatures and just hack at them.

Unfortunately, it ended to soon.

VashTS

Does anyone know if there is a way to dodge roll in the game?

I also stumbled upon a pseudo dodge with the warrior in the demo.

If you hold both triggers and then hit the B or O move you get the dodge portion without the slash afterwards. This also uses no meter/stamina.

I wonder if this is a glitch.

Anteater

havent been following this all that much, but the demo has completely wowed and sold me on the game!

i've heard the demo isnt a great representation of what the actual game offers though. can someone clue me in on what i can expect?

It's actually an open world action rpg with a load of skills to learn (from what I was told), lots of levels and 7 other classes that wasn't selectable in the demo, and you could share your sidekick character with other players and they will learn quest info, fight knowledge from other players' games, and allows them to exchange items/equipments.

It's suppose to have a lot of rpg elements like combining items to make unique arrows, day/night cycles, crafting, weapon upgrades, we don't know how deep those concepts are but they're there, the concept sounds incredible but we're all waiting to see if they could pull it off (though you could probably expect poor story and dialogues for a capcom game, but it could be a surprise), but combat seems ace so far.

I spent a good portion of my work day thinking about this game. I need this game! I don't even want to play the demo anymore. Also I just realized that it was my created character and pawn in the Countryside Quest >_<. I thought the creation was just for when the main game comes out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

while that is a new video to me, i've been convinced it has bad ass baddies since the very first trailer with the massive snake. that trailer didnt show anything beyond the demo as far as gameplay goes.

It's actually an open world action rpg with a load of skills to learn (from what I was told), lots of levels and 7 other classes that wasn't selectable in the demo, and you could share your sidekick character with other players and they will learn quest info, fight knowledge from other players' games, and allows them to exchange items/equipments.

It's suppose to have a lot of rpg elements like combining items to make unique arrows, day/night cycles, crafting, weapon upgrades, we don't know how deep those concepts are but they're there, the concept sounds incredible but we're all waiting to see if they could pull it off (though you could probably expect poor story and dialogues for a capcom game, but it could be a surprise), but combat seems ace so far.

thanks. any word on how long it is? how large the world is? how much NPC interaction there is?

Mxrz

I feel like I should be playing this 4 player co-op. . . in a bowling alley somewhere in 1993, and I mean that the best possible way. If arcades & beat'em ups didn't die, this what I imagine they'd be like in 2012.

branny

thanks. any word on how long it is? how large the world is? how much NPC interaction there is?
The first video I linked to is part of a series that answers all your questions. Supposedly the game is around 40-50 hours if you rush through it, but 100+ if you try to do everything. The world size is compared to Oblivion in that OXM preview. NPC interaction seems limited to quests and pawn stuff, but there could be more to it.

I like the concept enough, but the framerate was miserable on ps3. Maybe I'm spoiled from DMC/god of war/Bayonetta. Is it better on 360?

I'd also be interested in the answer to this question.

I played the PS3 demo, but the frame rate was killer, and I'm not usually all that susceptible to that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
In RE5 people hate the ai of your partner, too dumb, makes the game harder.

In DD, people hate the ai of your pawns, too good, makes the game easy.
In RE5 it wasn't so much the dumb AI making the game harder - it just made it more of a chore keeping them alive. Also, watching them go "ooh! Shiny thing!" and running straight into a booby trap was cringe-worthy.

Anyway, I tried the demo last night. Good fun! I want to give it a few more goes and try to prolong the battles in order to get a better understanding of everything, but yes, good fun.

The pawns are cool. I like how they chat and keep you informed about stuff. I can't believe there won't be any local or online co-op; that just seems like an opportunity too good to miss with a game like this. It'll still be great, but the option to play with people is always appreciated.

The Chimera is bloody scary. That massive lion face chewing the man had me wincing! His movements remind me a bit of Teostra/Leostra from the Monster Hunter series. Getting taken for a ride on the Griffin and then bringing it down is very satisfying. Can't see that getting too old too quickly.

I'm really impressed by the fact that they've released a demo with English on the Japanese store. I wonder if the full game will be localised completely on the disc (like Capcom's fighting games).

branny

The Chimera is bloody scary. That massive lion face chewing the man had me wincing! His movements remind me a bit of Teostra/Leostra from the Monster Hunter series. Getting taken for a ride on the Griffin and then bringing it down is very satisfying. Can't see that getting too old too quickly.
Yeah, people who haven't played Monster Hunter are going to be in for a treat with Dragon's Dogma in terms of unique and interesting enemy attack patterns. This Strider demonstration would probably be interesting to you, as well. Even lowly wolves are relentless in this game. :lol

Top Bottom