• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

I do hate the absolute ZERO visibility at night. I mean come on, when it's night, go out somewhere without streetlights & you can still see stuff. The sky would also be filled with bright stars that would light up a lot of the scenery.
Even when there is no moon ?
IRL it can be pretty dark when you don't have this celestial object above your head to see at night

ironcreed

Banned
When you fight small enemies, it feels like it aims your attacks towards them. I'm used to no lock-on from Monster Hunter, but the camera could stand to rotate faster. There wasn't a setting for that, was there?

Yes, I turned my camera sensitivity up to 6 and it is perfect for me. You can do so in the options on the main menu.

I do hate the absolute ZERO visibility at night. I mean come on, when it's night, go out somewhere without streetlights & you can still see stuff. The sky would also be filled with bright stars that would light up a lot of the scenery.

Really? I like it. It's the only thing that bugged me about RDR; night wasn't dark enough.

ironcreed

Banned
Even when there is no moon ?
IRL it can be pretty dark when you don't have this celestial object above your head to see at night

I used to go camping on a regular basis and you will be surprised how dark it is way out in the woods away from civilization. Indeed, without a fire or flashlights, you can't see shit. Seems pretty natural for it to be this way in a setting like this. Not to mention that it only serves to add a fantastic element in terms of it being a game and not real life, lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was bored...

E9p7i.jpg

Staunch advocates of reducing the idealized physical appearance of women in gaming(T&A), look no further. Your future is here!

demigod

First time I played EQ and picked a human, I couldn't see shit either, lol. Yeah it sucks but it makes sense. Like ironcreed says, it really does get dark in the real world without lights. If you can see everything clear, there wouldn't be a need for that lantern!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I used to go camping on a regular basis and you will be surprised how dark it is way out in the woods away from civilization. Indeed, without a fire or flashlights, you can't see shit. Seems pretty natural for it to be this way in a setting like this. Not to mention that it only serves to add a fantastic element in terms of it being a game and not real life, lol.

Still wondering what everyone's brightness settings are at? Also .. the rgb/black settings on the PS3 itself... i'm trying to get the best quality out of the night time scenes... but on my 52 inch plasma I can actually see my immediate surroundings OK at night without the lantern. Any other game I would probably say it was almost too dark .. but in this game.. i want my darks dark as hell.. .

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Have you really been out in the middle of nowhere during the night? It gets really dark. If there is any kind of cloud coverage, you can't see shit. I love how the game replicates that. Proper night in games is far too rare.

You've never gone camping in your entire life have you?
Stars light up the scenery? Really? In order to see a decent amount of stars in the sky without a telescope, you need near pitch darkness. In other words, you get one or the other - the ability to see or stars or sometimes a weird middle ground where you kinda see, but not really and yet can't really notice any more than a couple of stars in the sky like the north star and big dipper.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You've never gone camping in your entire life have you?
Stars light up the scenery? Really? In order to see a decent amount of stars in the sky without a telescope, you need near pitch darkness. In other words, you get one or the other - the ability to see or stars or sometimes a weird middle ground where you kinda see, but not really and yet can't really notice any more than a couple of stars in the sky like the north star and big dipper.

In the cover of trees in a forest without any lightsource it can get impossibly dark to see at night.

I haven't played the demo yet, but I hope that at least when on roads or 'safe' zones, the fog or whatever will back off a bit. From watching videos though, it does look really unfortunate that even holding a torch doesn't produce much help to the player. As a game, that is frustrating.

I HATED Silent Hill Homecoming's absolute shit flashlight effect that gave little actual means to sift through dark corridors. I suppose the point is to really focus on traveling only during morning hours. A gameplay feature I like, but it is unfortunate that you feel so claustrophobic at night otherwise.

LProtag

The thing is, the lantern in this game acts just like a real oil lantern does in real life.

It's not that bright at all, but you can see a few feet around you.

In the cover of trees in a forest without any lightsource it can get impossibly dark to see at night.

From watching videos though, it does look really unfortunate that even holding a torch doesn't produce much help to the player.

you feel so claustrophobic at night.

I consider all of these things positive features and am very glad to finally have a game with real night and darkness that doesn't just look like a movie shot day for night. The claustrophobia of darkness should lend this game an oppressive, survival horror like element. I can't wait!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol... why is the miniature little elf pawn I made running around with a two-handed broadsword?

lol...

Nyx

Played it just now, after the prologue quest I wasn't impressed, but the countryside quest was all kinds of awesome.

If the final game gets decent reviews I'll dive in.

Awesome, I just 2-manned the Griffin.

There's a high rock in the southwest area where you can throw your other pawns off repeatedly until they die. Keep throwing the mage first or he'll heal himself and the other that much.

The fight was much more difficult without the others, it took about 20min. Having my buddy launch me skyward to grab onto its legs is amazing. Went through all of my health stuff and was down to about 20% health for the last 5 or so minutes.

Mithos

Then don't set the brightness correctly in options, and the nights stay dark but not pitch black.

Salaadin

Sorry if this has been asked before but I want to go into this game mostly blind. Just have a few questions:

Performance: 360 or PS3? Near even?
Control? Again, 360 or PS3?
Regarding the whole "its too dark" thing, Im assuming its like any other dark game and you get to carry torches around to light an area?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sorry if this has been asked before but I want to go into this game mostly blind. Just have a few questions:

Performance: 360 or PS3? Near even?
Control? Again, 360 or PS3?
Regarding the whole "its too dark" thing, Im assuming its like any other dark game and you get to carry torches around to light an area?

I think the majority of people are saying the PS3 version performs better, but it sounds like they both have their faults.
Doesn't really matter. About the same.
Yes, you carry a lantern and oil for the lantern. There are also spells to light the night.

Patryn

This is not true. The 360 version is *clearly* the better performing of the two.

It really comes down to what bugs you more: Tearing or Frame rate?

The PS3 is commonly agreed to have a lower frame rate, and there's some argument on consistency with the majority seemingly agreeing that it's solid ~24 FPS while a significant minority saying it dips.

The 360 undeniably has screen tearing, with people viewing it somewhere between "I never noticed" and "Holy shit, that's terrible." Supposedly, this may be mitigated by forcing your 360 down to 720p, but it's not a perfect fix.

So if you don't mind lower frame rates but hate tearing, go PS3. If you want a higher frame rate and don't mind tearing, go 360.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is not true. The 360 version is *clearly* the better performing of the two.

No, I'm another person that had no problems with the frame rate in the PS3 version. Looked great to me. Meanwhile, I saw tearing EVERYWHERE in the 360 version, especially if you open a menu and quickly close it, looks TERRIBLE.

Switched my pre-order to the PS3 version this morning. But I may try that trick of shifting the 360 down to 720p and see if that reduces tearing. But at this point, I need 0 tearing before I'd think of going back to the 360 version (even if I far prefer the 360 controller).

Thought you'd come back and say that, lol. You don't like the sub 30fps? That's fine, but don't spread fud that there's framerate drops or *stutters*. Some people keep claiming there's framerate drops on PS3 but they haven't shown any proof. The 360 people already proved there's massive tearing with 1080p and slight tearing on 720p with vids.
I can find more. Regardless of which is better, the 360 version is not *clearly* better. It suffers from bad tearing reported by a number of posters.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know it looks so wrong.

I should have started with a different preset and then made my cosmetic changes from there... maybe they will be the class of the template you originally pick to edit? I'll see if that works.

Salaadin

I think the majority of people are saying the PS3 version performs better, but it sounds like they both have their faults.
Doesn't really matter. About the same.
Yes, you carry a lantern and oil for the lantern. There are also spells to light the night.

Cool, thanks.

I actually LOVE darkness in games and hate that weird lightest blue fake nighttime that a lot of games do.

It really comes down to what bugs you more: Tearing or Frame rate?

The PS3 is commonly agreed to have a lower frame rate, and there's some argument on consistency with the majority seemingly agreeing that it's solid ~24 FPS while a significant minority saying it dips.

The 360 undeniably has screen tearing, with people viewing it somewhere between "I never noticed" and "Holy shit, that's terrible." Supposedly, this may be mitigated by forcing your 360 down to 720p, but it's not a perfect fix.

So if you don't mind lower frame rates but hate tearing, go PS3. If you want a higher frame rate and don't mind tearing, go 360.

Exactly what I was looking for. I absolutely HATE screen tearing so Im probably going to end up on PS3. Thanks a lot.

Brutal screen tearing is much worse to me than 24 fps. I actually get headaches from it.
Yup.

Patryn

I haven't experienced any of this screen tearing you guys are talking about with the 360 demo.

Then enjoy it and stop actively looking for it. If you like what you have, don't rock the boat.

But if you absolutely must tempt the gods, try opening up the menu and quickly closing it.

AlStrong

Why are people saying 24fps? If it's triple-buffered with V-sync, it'll fluctuate at all numbers, otherwise with double buffering, it'd just sit at 20fps (or 15fps after that) if it can't meet the 30fps mark.

GrayFoxPL

Oh so it is supposed to be pitch black in that part of demo? I thought I just set my brightness too low for this and laughed at myself swinging sword at the darkness everywhere in confusion.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I just spend 40 minutes with the demo on PS3.

I played the prologue without the 2 pawns you call upon and the did countryside quest twice.

This game is pretty fun and I can see the game being hard played that way unless you're always stocked with items that seem to not have any penalty associated with them.

For performance I have to say that the prologue with the fire messed up the frame rate for the very first section, everything after that was very smooth.

Only technical detail I noticed in the countryside quest was the pop-in.

I might check that game out on 360 to compare them, but based on the videos and how heavily that tears and if the demos are indicative of the retail performance the PS3 performance is surprisingly good compared to previous MT Framework efforts.

The Strider was much more fun to play than the Sword and Board dude, but I realized from reading this thread that I forgot to use R1+skills. I only did L1 and 2 of the skills seemed like they did the same and the last one was a taunt.

LProtag

This game is pretty fun and I can see the game being hard played that way unless you're always stocked with items that seem to not have any penalty associated with them.

The healing items have weight to them and cost a decent chunk of change I think.

So if you've got tons you're probably going to be way overweight.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The healing items have weight to them and cost a decent chunk of change I think.

So if you've got tons you're probably going to be way overweight.
Fair enough. I used up at least 60% in the prologue fight when I was only with my main pawn and no others.
So if you encounter several mini-bosses such as Chimeras and Griffins that are not easy to take down at least with the character combo in the demo prologue you're going to have a hard time.

cametall

First time I played EQ and picked a human, I couldn't see shit either, lol. Yeah it sucks but it makes sense. Like ironcreed says, it really does get dark in the real world without lights. If you can see everything clear, there wouldn't be a need for that lantern!

I fell off the Qeynos docks and could never find my way out it was so dark. Didn't know what gamma was at the time.

Top Bottom