• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with the recent trend of "jump cuts" in youtube gamer "celebs" ?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They're used to take out the "uhhh" and "ummm" when a person normally talks so the video flows better and is shorter.

However, after a while that just became a style and now people do it because that's what their viewers expect.

Also, like others have said, this isn't a recent trend at all. This has probably been going on since some channels started becoming big on Youtube and they begin Vlogging.

Jump cut-heavy videos have existed since the dawn of YouTube celebs. This is nothing new.

Eh, what the hell @ 1:35, with Boogie implying that if a game is singleplayer/offline-only PC gamers pirate it instead of buy it. That shit is kinda offensive, man.

Did you actually listen to what he was saying? He wasn't saying people should go out and do it, he's saying people ARE doing it and if you convince them to do otherwise than you're doing something right.

Hubb

I'm sure someone has already said it, but it is because it is easy. Well it is at least an easier way of editing video.

Jarrod38

What is up with Youtubers spamming their 30 differnet names they go buy, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and don't forget to hit that like button because it helps me out in every video?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A lot of these "celebrities" aren't professional video editors. Some go more all out than others (Angry Joe's reviews... he does costumes and skits for)

I know GAFfer lashman is Angry Joe's VFX guy, maybe he could chime in a bit more about the editing process and professionalization aspects of Angry Joe.

I don't think we should be defending multi takes considering it takes talent to do things in as few takes as possible. I'd like to start seeing these folks try harder to improve their skills and move away from the quick cuts the longer they do these videos.

Basically, if I'm not seeing many quick cuts it makes me feel like the person is not talented or worth listening to.

Jim Sterling has an interesting way of doing it where he doesn't seem to use them much on camera, but he does in his voice overs where it matters less. I like it.

Don't really think this is recent, RayWilliamJohnson or whatever was around in like 2008/2009 I think and was doing way too many jump cuts, there were probably people before him.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
not to get too nerdy but the latest adobe premiere has a weird transition tool that morphs faces in a few frames to make it look less jump cutty. so weird, I messed around with it and if you aren't paying close attention you might buy it, but it can also make it look like you have a second row of teeth in your mouth

what do you mean recent

No kidding. One of the reasons I could never tolerate Youtube celebrities like Phil DeFranco, iJustine, Shane Dawson or Ray William Johnson is because they would cut on every other word

Like any time they paused to take a breath or think about anything, they'd cut. So you'd get this sequence where it'd be like

"I've really (cut) been thinking (cut) about (cut) what I wanted to do (cut) regarding (cut) this thing (cut) I've been promoting for the last (cut) week (cut) or so."

Here's a Phil DeFranco video from five years ago where he does it.

It's the fucking worst.

I HATE jump cuts. I'll turn the vid right off if I see that shit starting up. This essentially means that I barely watch anything on YouTube.

I've honestly became more accustomed to how MovieBob did his older Game Overthinker videos. All he did was edit the audio while maintaining the pace of slideshows and video clips.

It's why I was drawn to his videos, it's easy on the eyes and can be entertaining in the right spots. ProJared is another good 'tuber. Nostalgia Chick is also easy to listen to, no angry spasms, just straight to the point.

I've honestly became more accustomed to how MovieBob did his older Game Overthinker videos. All he did was edit the audio while maintaining the pace of slideshows and video clips.

It's why I was drawn to his videos, it's easy on the eyes and can be entertaining in the right spots. ProJared is another good 'tuber. Nostalgia Chick is also easy to listen to, no angry spasms, just straight to the point.

I love projared's stuff.

thefro

It's either jump cuts or get multiple cameras set up with different angles. if you make youtube videos you may not have enough money to own 2 or more cameras.

AVGN doesn't have jump cuts but he's trained as a filmmaker and was doing some video editing as part of his "real job" before the Youtube videos took off.

He was only using one camera filming stuff by himself in the beginning, and still films a lot of the stuff himself on one camera.

.Anema

It's not recent, but highly noticed by everyone in the recent times.
Even pro software companies lik Adobe (Premiere) or Blackmagic (DaVinci Resolve) created effects to "hide" the jumpcuts in order to have a smoother videos in their latest pro video editors suites.

Jakten

Generally, it removes empty air to keep the viewer engaged and makes it seem less rambley.

But also, it makes the speaker come off as more confident, charismatic or intelligent because you see less mistakes and they seem to speak faster. If something stupid happens you aren't given time to think about it, they are on about something else. Lulls give people an "out" to stop watching.

It's a similar idea to what they tried to do in the 90's all the time with the extreme and crazy zooming and camera angles to make a guy standing on a skateboard look way edgier.

magnumpy

it's the "need" for a rapid-fire style of video. there can't be even a second to catch your breath. or there can, but that would have to be edited out.

Daffy Duck

I've recently been consuming more YoUTube videos recently aside from just people live streaming games and gameplay commentary videos and I hate with a passion this whole jump cut crap.

That Phillip De Franco guy is so frustrating to see, but I can't seemingly stop myself from watching it and seeing how annoying it is, aaahhhhhh.

Top Bottom