• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program - definetly come here

TaKeRx

BakedPigeon said:
I cant believe some of you are throwing a fit because Microsoft is stepping up and making sure people without sufficient storage can enjoy the new dashboard update.

Microsoft should be getting kudos for providing a remedy to the problem, not get blasted. If Microsoft is releasing an update that requires storage for their console that they sold without storage it's only right they do something. Be thankful you have room to save your games and download from the marketplace in the first place.

wait, people are bitching about this? wtf.....

_Xenon_

Banned
1. Detach the separately bought Hard Drive from your Arcade console
2. Log in Live and register (or whatever it is)
3. Free 512 MU on the way (?)
4. Profit ??

Man ... this sounds like steal to me.

_Xenon_

Banned
I wonder how the arcade owners (joe average kind) feel about this. MS told them they could play most 360 games with only 199, then after NXE arrives they will just find themselves have to pay another 30.

_Xenon_ said:
I wonder how the arcade owners (joe average kind) feel about this. MS told them they could play most 360 games with only 199, then after NXE arrives they will just find themselves have to pay another 30.

You actually don't need any storage device for the new update. Only a couple features require it, and if you want to take part in those features you really should not have chose no storage upon purchase. Microsoft is taking care of you if you did though.

seat

BakedPigeon said:
Yes just read the whole thread......
It's not like I have my panties in a wad over this, but can't people see that this is slightly unfair? We shelled out extra for the HD storage space when we bought our 360 consoles because we knew it'd be difficult to take advantage of most of 360's features without it. Arcade buyers took the cheap route and avoided the HD storage space, but now they're getting a forty-dollar memory card for free. Microsoft is rewarding those who took the cheap route.

I really don't care that much about the memory cards, but I disagree that this was the fair tactic for Microsoft to take. Not sure why it's so hard for everyone to understand this.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Uh... yes you do. You need 128MB. Its a compulsory update. So...

Hmm I must be misinformed I was under the impression the 128MB was needed for a few features.

seat said:
It's not like I have my panties in a wad over this, but can't people see that this is slightly unfair? We shelled out extra for the HD storage space when we bought our 360 consoles because we knew it'd be difficult to take advantage of most of 360's features without it. Arcade buyers took the cheap route and avoided the HD storage space, but now they're getting an $50 memory card for free. Microsoft is rewarding those who took the cheap route.

I really don't care that much about the memory cards, but I disagree that this was the fair tactic for Microsoft to take. Not sure why it's so hard for everyone to understand this.

MS is not rewarding people who took the cheap route, they are simply providing a solution for their decision to create a dashboard that is not functional to some of the Xbox population. What about people who could not afford the PRO console, not everyone has moneybags for pockets.

This is primarily the fault of the NXE needing some extra storage room, but this is still a rather nice move on their part. A free bigger memory card, or a very minor fee to get the original standard hard drive.

_Xenon_

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
What about people who could not afford the PRO console, not everyone has moneybags for pockets.
Hmm if they couldn't afford the Pro console, why do MS think they could bust out another 30 for the storage solution? According to the solution option you listed, it seems that 30 bucks is kind of mandatory for those arcade owners.

Personally I don't have any problem with this since I got the pro console already but I just wonder now that they can lower the HD price for arcade owners here, why not do this favor for everybody?

_Xenon_ said:
Hmm if they couldn't afford the Pro console, why do MS think they could bust out another 30 for the storage solution? According to the solution option you listed, it seems that 30 bucks is kind of mandatory for those arcade owners.

Personally I don't have any problem with this since I got the pro console already but I just wonder now that they can lower the HD price for arcade owners here, why not do this favor for everybody?

Spending $30.00 a couple years later on a HDD upgrade isnt nearly as bad as purchasing a PRO console. That's my opinion anyways which probably does not amount to shit.

I just really dont see the big deal with microsoft helping people out so they can enjoy the new dash update. People will find a way to bitch about anything, just be grateful for what you have.

soco

seat said:
It's not like I have my panties in a wad over this, but can't people see that this is slightly unfair? We shelled out extra for the HD storage space when we bought our 360 consoles because we knew it'd be difficult to take advantage of most of 360's features without it. Arcade buyers took the cheap route and avoided the HD storage space, but now they're getting a forty-dollar memory card for free. Microsoft is rewarding those who took the cheap route.

sure they're getting something free, but it's still 20GB (14) to 0.5GB (0.4? usable?) that's not really a 'reward'. they still can't use all the additional features of the harddrive users get. it doesn't invalidate your reason for buying a pro/elite.

this is more of a correction on Microsoft's part for overlooking the importance of some tiny bit of built-in storage. the core was a tard pack, and this just makes it slightly less so.

seat

BakedPigeon said:
MS is not rewarding people who took the cheap route, they are simply providing a solution for their decision to create a dashboard that is not functional to some of the Xbox population. What about people who could not afford the PRO console, not everyone has moneybags for pockets.
Firstly, since when does buying an Arcade 360 means you're poor while buying a Pro or Elite model automatically means you're rich? That's nonsense.

Secondly, you entirely missed my argument, which I stated on the last page. Why doesn't Microsoft offer the memory cards to all 360 owners? That way, Arcade owners will be able to update their consoles and Microsoft can be fair to everyone. Problem solved! As an Elite 360 owner, if I was considering plopping down fifty bucks on a 512MB card I'd be pretty pissed right now, and rightfully so.

DarkJC

BakedPigeon said:
Spending $30.00 a couple years later on a HDD upgrade isnt nearly as bad as purchasing a PRO console. That's my opinion anyways which probably does not amount to shit.

I just really dont see the big deal with microsoft helping people out so they can enjoy the new dash update. People will find a way to bitch about anything, just be grateful for what you have.

People are bitching about it because Microsoft has been charging a massive premium on anything storage related and are now turning around and giving away their 512MB cards (which, at $50 retail, are horrendously overpriced) for free.

seat

DarkJC said:
People are bitching about it because Microsoft has been charging a massive premium on anything storage related and are now turning around and giving away their 512MB cards (which, at $50 retail, are horrendously overpriced) for free.
Exactly. What's next? Will Microsoft start giving away free wireless internet adapters to people who can't get a wired connection even though the adapters cost $100 at retail? I'm amazed some people here are failing to see this perspective.

El-Suave

seat said:
Why doesn't Microsoft offer the memory cards to all 360 owners? That way, Arcade owners will be able to update their consoles and Microsoft can be fair to everyone. Problem solved! As an Elite 360 owner, if I was considering plopping down fifty bucks on a 512MB card I'd be pretty pissed right now, and rightfully so.

I think people picking hdd's in that program is in Microsoft's best interest:
  • they have them in stock anyway but can't/won't sell them through retail
  • more people can buy stuff through Xbox Live
  • less outcry if hdd only games come down the road
  • they give more people the install to hdd option, that means less strain on dvd drives=less people sending the console in for read errors avoiding a "mini-rod" scenario

The memory card being in this program is just there to be able to offer something for free - if they only had pay-options people would bitch, and rightfully so.

seat said:

That's what you get for being impulsive, and this is what I get for being a cheapskate. :D

I got a Console, an HDD, and 3 months of XBL for $250. Toss in Mass Effect and I get a pretty damn good system for under $300.

szaromir

Banned
Microsoft is going to be in for a little surprise when they find out that all 20M 360 owners don't have enough storage for the next update.

szaromir said:
Microsoft is going to be in for a little surprise when they find out that all 20M 360 owners don't have enough storage for the next update.

That's a good point, if someone releases the numbers, we'll finaly know exactly how many of those 360s out there are Core/Arcade units!

szaromir

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
That's a good point, if someone releases the numbers, we'll finaly know exactly how many of those 360s out there are Core/Arcade units!
My point was that people are going to abuse that, rather than we'll find out how many Core/Arcade owners are out there.

seat

Thunder Monkey said:
That's what you get for being impulsive, and this is what I get for being a cheapskate. :D

I got a Console, an HDD, and 3 months of XBL for $250. Toss in Mass Effect and I get a pretty damn good system for under $300.
Hah! Impulsive? I was virtually forced to shell out for an Elite. I needed the fucking included audio dongle because it was ridiculous to spend another fifty bucks on an official 360 HDMI cable. Keep in mind that this was before everyone realized you could just modify the component cable.

O Microsoft, I'd despise you if your console weren't so damn awesome.

szaromir said:
My point was that people are going to abuse that, rather than we'll find out how many Core/Arcade owners are out there.
people are trying, but finding it impossible to do, since microsoft knows if you had a core, arcade, pro or elite based on the serial number and console id.

seat said:
Hah! Impulsive? I was virtually forced to shell out for an Elite. I needed the fucking included audio dongle because it was ridiculous to spend another fifty bucks on an official 360 HDMI cable. Keep in mind that this was before everyone realized you could just modify the component cable.

O Microsoft, I'd despise you if your console weren't so damn awesome.
But it is, so you must deal with me getting the better deal because I could wait three years for it.:D

duk

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things. :lol

Kudos to MS for stepping up. Now hopefully all of you tards choose the hdd. :D

Dunlop

seat said:

I'm not sure why you don't understand this.

There is no way they forsaw the OS overhaul back when the core pack came out. If you read the thread only the Core 360 owners (i.e the ones who will be totally fucked when NXE comes out) are being offered the free memory card (or $20 HDD).

For Arcade users they are offering an update deal (no free memory card) but are offered the $30 HDD with 3 months of LIVE

They are literally making sure no one is left out in the cold and it will not cost a sent for people to enjoy NXE (if they take the memory card)

Thunder Monkey said:
But it is, so you must deal with me getting the better deal because I could wait three years for it.:D
:lol

Well anyone who waited three years, for any console, EVER, will get the better deal (price cuts, cheaper platinum games, better hardware)

£13 for UK'ers for the 20GB HDD, can't really complain, I need to try and inform my technically un-savy friend who bought a Core that his time has come. Unfortunately I'm in Aussi-land and don't have his phone number or email, and he's the only person I know who can benefit from this.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Just tried it. 25 euros for a drive and 3 months gold is a steal. Too bad you have to use a CC.

Vangellis

Wow, very cool of them. Pretty shocked that they are doing this. :lol :lol :lol at the people bitching about this. They are giving free shit out jesus...

krae_man

I hope they update the Canadian site so I can take advantage of this. I dont want to miss out on this. Canada always gets the shaft.

Dunlop

krae_man said:
I hope they update the Canadian site so I can take advantage of this. I dont want to miss out on this. Canada always gets the shaft.

I mentioned it on the first page, it works for Canada. Just change the country in the top right.

I would send the exact link but the firewall at work blocks me

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well. I got a tard pack at launch (everything else sold out). I bought a 20 gig harddrive a few months later. So I simply call up MS & get a free 20gig hard drive? Wow.

krae_man

Dunlop said:
I mentioned it on the first page, it works for Canada. Just change the country in the top right.

I would send the exact link but the firewall at work blocks me

That does not work. I tried it last night and the address form for where you fill in the address you want the Hard Drive mailed is set to US only by default and cant be changed.

The country field isn't changable and the drop down box for State doesn't have Provinces in it.

Threi

notag
BakedPigeon said:
I cant believe some of you are throwing a fit because Microsoft is stepping up and making sure people without sufficient storage can enjoy the new dashboard update.

Microsoft should be getting kudos for providing a remedy to the problem, not get blasted. If Microsoft is releasing an update that requires storage for their console that they sold without storage it's only right they do something. Be thankful you have room to save your games and download from the marketplace in the first place.
When people get even the slightest thought in their head that they may not have made smartest purchase they sometimes go out of their way to defend their purchase/downplay the alternative to convince themselves that they didn't make a stupid choice.

Dunlop

krae_man said:
That does not work. I tried it last night and the address form for where you fill in the address you want the Hard Drive mailed is set to US only by default and cant be changed.

The country field isn't changable and the drop down box for State doesn't have Provinces in it.

click on the link in the OP, change the country code to Canada (top right of webpage). the page will refresh (look exactly the same) and then put your S/N and console ID.

You can verify on the webpage what country you are in at the top left I believe

krae_man

Dunlop said:
click on the link in the OP, change the country code to Canada (top right of webpage). the page will refresh (look exactly the same) and then put your S/N and console ID.

You can verify on the webpage what country you are in at the top left I believe

I did that and the address form still had the US as the country.

I'll try again when I get home.

Dunlop

krae_man said:
I did that and the address form still had the US as the country.

I'll try again when I get home.

I'll try to send the proper URL when I get home tonight if you haven't resolved it by then.

GhaleonEB

Good program, though mixed messages about storage are getting more and more prominent with the 360. They really should drop the HDD prices.

Jewbacca

Banned
WELL THE 2010 FOCUS COMES WITH ONBOARD GPS STOCK!

I THINK SINCE I BOUGHT AN 09 FOCUS AND PAID FOR MY GPS FORD SHOULD GIVE ME SOME MONEY.

Jewbacca said:
WELL THE 2010 FOCUS COMES WITH ONBOARD GPS STOCK!

I THINK SINCE I BOUGHT AN 09 FOCUS AND PAID FOR MY GPS FORD SHOULD GIVE ME SOME MONEY.
Does the 2010 Focus stop you from using the dashboard in your 2009 Focus?

Dunlop

Psychotext said:
Does the 2010 Focus stop you from using the dashboard in your 2009 Focus?

Anyone actually received a shipping notice yet? I only have that it is being processed

Dunlop said:

Anyone actually received a shipping notice yet? I only have that it is being processed

Nope just the processed email when I first submitted the order. I wonder if they are just getting pounded right now with orders, we may be in for a long wait :lol .

Top Bottom