• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Koshiro

It seems Federbot is really at a loss these days when it comes to Murray. It's Murray just.. unsettles him. Hoping for a Murray-Nadal final.

Peru

Windy as hell during this women's final, which is a shame, because Ivanovic is on her best game in a year!

Peru

Undeserved first set for Zvonareva. Some real good tennis to be seen in this match though, fought through the wind.

Peru

Hey Wes, I had officially given 100% up on Nicole Vaidisova, which I guess was what she needed (plus a new trainer). She did reasonably well in Indian Wells, seems to have gained her motivation back, won the first round in Miami and today, in the second round, beat Alona Bondarenko 6-1, 6-0. I can't remember her ever winning those kind of victories.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer & Roddick playing in the Miami QF right now.

Fed won the first set but Roddick is up a break in the 2nd.

Peru

Intense match between Roddick and Fed. This Open is completely open as far as who'll win the men's cup. Everyone's had tough matches.

Also intense: Kuznetsova vs Azarenka. GO Azarenka. You remind me of Maria. I love how she's a heavy hitter yet dares try out different stuff, go to the net, play smart. Hope you beat one of the Williamses in the final.

3407968218_0e687627f4_o.jpg

clemenx

Banned
WOW, This is a real surprise, I've always thought that Del Potro is way overrated.

Maybe because i have to listen to the Argentinian commentators :lol

Edit: Meh, Del Potro choked away 4 match points. Tiebreak now.

clemenx

Banned
Federer is playing like his worst game ever. Right now is like he's throwing the game away and wants to end it.

He just smashed a racket in the court :O wtf that's so not Federer like.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
oh you guys are blowing this water thing out of proportion. I'll give you the racquet smash because that very un-federer like but it's just a water bottle.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think is a bad thing per se. If Safin weren't like that almost every match on his good years he wouldn't be my favourite player.
Is just that one does not expect this kind of stuff from Fed but i don't think it's fair to say LOL what a douche for something that he did for the 1st time in god knows how many years.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer didn't even shake the umpire's hand, either. And this douche just won the sportsmanship award :lol :lol

Federer: It is always important for me to be a good sportsman on the court and give the right example for others to follow and hopefully inspire the next generation

Yes. Show them how to act when things don't go your way! And not just on court. Carry your tantrum with you to the change over!

clemenx

Banned
Yes, because he's done that shit EVERY game the last 2 years that he's been losing.

MIMIC is such a Federer hater :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Damn, Federer's aura of perfectness has got to many people in a defensive tizzy. What, does Federer have some Douche Card that he, and only he, gets to play or something?

And I don't hate Federer.

hsin

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
oh you guys are blowing this water thing out of proportion. I'll give you the racquet smash because that very un-federer like but it's just a water bottle.

I suppose most people are just shocked to finally see Federer as human. He was a hot head back in his Junior days--this kind of stuff was normal back then. After he became Federbot, people forgot.

And now haters will pounce all over this claiming he's "petty" or "unsportsman-like" because he showed a moment of frustration.

Oh well.

MIMIC

Banned
I personally don't care when people smash their racquets. I LIKE to see people showing emotion. But when he started tossing water bottles everywhere like a fucking spoiled brat, it really showed an air of entitlement that many suspected that Federer had. Really classless. And to top it off, he ignored the umpire.

Peru

Are you mad? You certainly hold him to some divine higher standards, because if tossing a bottle when you're pissed off is some sort of evil doing then all, every single one, of the other players on the ATP tour are demons. I can't remember you JUMPING on Roddick for calling the umpire "a fucking asshole" and "fatass". Double standards and obviousle some sort of anti-Federer motivations. Wow, for the first time he tosses a bottle, because he's frustrated as hell. Let's judge his sportsmanship on that.

-------------------------------

ANYWAY

YES!!!!!!!

Victoria Azarenka def. Serena Williams 6-3, 6-1

6fbblg.png

(nice shoes)

I called this girl out early last year as the next big thing. She's delivering so deliciously this year. She WILL win a Grand Slam soon. How great it is to see a new, young female talent not shivering of nervousness and hitting unforced errors and balls in the net every second forehand shot.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Federer out at Monte Carlo to Wawrinka in straight sets. Meanwhile, Murray comes back from 0-5 down to win his first set against Fognini.

jett

D-Member
iapetus said:
Federer out at Monte Carlo to Wawrinka in straight sets. Meanwhile, Murray comes back from 0-5 down to win his first set against Fognini.

lolwut, federer lost already? someone put him out to pasture already

iapetus said:
My coworker thinks Federer is going to quit before the end of the year.

It's hard to argue with him at this point. Federer has such a stubborn attitude that he just doesn't want to deal with playing poorly. He's gotta accept it, or he'll wind up doing something regretful out of anger on the court.

Is there anywhere to watch the tournament online?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Battersea Power Station said:
Is there anywhere to watch the tournament online?

Not at the moment - rain's stopped play. I've been following the live text on the BBC website and the even-more-live scoring from the event website. Haven't seen anywhere free to watch it in video form.

Peru

Channelsurfing.net has almost every ATP tour streaming, monte carlo included.

I think Federer will play for at least three more years.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Koshiro said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Won five straight, then they both held serve and Murray won an epic 13-11 tie breaker. Looked on the verge of getting the first break in the second set before rain stopped play, too.

Still, as impressive as coming back from 0-5 is, going 0-5 down is pretty unimpressive. Can't get away with doing that against Nadal...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Mets39 said:
So, he did play this morning (beat Lappenti 6-3 6-0) and will play again this afternoon against Ljubicic :p

A lot of it going round. Murray finished off his match from yesterday, and will play his QF game this afternoon.

Mets39

iapetus said:
A lot of it going round. Murray finished off his match from yesterday, and will play his QF game this afternoon.

Yeah, and others players too such as Nalbandian, Davydenko, Ljubicic ... 2 matchs in one day is something really tough

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Mets39 said:
Yeah, and others players too such as Nalbandian, Davydenko, Ljubicic ... 2 matchs in one day is something really tough

At least they're mostly playing against each other. :D Would be a little more unfair if it was unrested players against fresh ones.

Peru

Caroline Wozniacki you are a gem. I'm in the skies that my two favorite youngsters from last year, Wozniacki and Azarenka, are DOMINANT this year. Can Woz take two ch'ships in two weeks?

Just got a new racquet, it's been at least 7 years since I've played.

Went out there yesterday and it was more fun than I remembered! ...but also way more tiring than I remember. I suck too. But it was lots of fun!

jett

D-Member
These Nadal-Murray games are effing long. I wonder for how long will Murray be able to sustain this leve of play? :p

2-0 Nadal on the first set so far.

bjaelke

Peru said:
Caroline Wozniacki you are a gem. I'm in the skies that my two favorite youngsters from last year, Wozniacki and Azarenka, are DOMINANT this year. Can Woz take two ch'ships in two weeks?
She doens't have the best track record against Dementieva although she did win their latest encounter.

Peru

Murray hittin' back.

bjaelke said:
She doens't have the best track record against Dementieva although she did win their latest encounter.

Yeah, she's looked so damn secure on clay so far, though. But then again Dementieva has racked up some big numbers in Charleston. Should be a good match.

Top Bottom