• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

Tagyhag

Never said it would be good lol. Obviously PC players will have the overwhelming advantage but still doesn't stop people from asking for it. I see people asking for cross play for LawBreakers, a twitch shooter lol.

Those people are dumb lol.

Crossplay should totally be a thing for controller games but it gets really murky when you add keyboard and mouse in the mix.

The God

Wouldn't the reverse of that also be true? To an extent? Say I own Minecraft on PS4 and my buddy owns it on Xbox One. It's far easier and cheaper to remove myself from their ecosystem than it is for a buddy to buy a $2-300 console. I could just buy Minecraft on literally anything else for $7-20. And then the time I spend on PS4 is decreased and they are loading my money.

I think they'd rather you spend less on the PS4 than to not be in the ecosystem at all

Getting pretty bad PR wise now.

Lol no, maybe in the echo chamber that gaf can be at times, but according to most, if not all of the sales charts and sales threads on gaf, the ps4 is gaining momentum both sales and popularity wise.

The psn sales they do always put the kibosh on any lasting negative pr. People bitch, but they keep buying.

This is a small, small blip on the grand scale of sony pr.

Kolx

Sony won't allow that because it's not beneficial to them. MS did last gen and Sony this gen. If Sony didn't give up when the storm was strong and everyone was calling them out for it, they won't allow it now.

This.
Stop rewarding anti consumer company. Buy a Swtich or Xbox one X to reward the consumer friendly companies, send them a message.
Non of these company is "friendly" tho. Unless you think all of gaming only resolve around cross-play. Can't believe some people are trying to spin this into bad sony and good MS and Nintendo lol

CookTrain

Crossplay should totally be a thing for controller games but it gets really murky when you add keyboard and mouse in the mix.

At the very least it should be put it in place for private games. Let friends have their fun.

As you say, things are murkier after that.

Gestault

Sony, it's time to let your grudge go and allow this shit

For me personally, it's especially annoying this gen because social gaming is so front-and-center, the tech/implementation is handled, and devs, publishers, and players obviously want it. I'd like to see Sony change the policy, and I'm someone with most of my multi-plats on the PS4.

NickMitch

Wouldn't the reverse of that also be true? To an extent? Say I own Minecraft on PS4 and my buddy owns it on Xbox One. It's far easier and cheaper to remove myself from their ecosystem than it is for a buddy to buy a $2-300 console. I could just buy Minecraft on literally anything else for $7-20. And then the time I spend on PS4 is decreased and they are loading my money.

Sure, but they probably think the odds are in their favor.

N7.Angel

Can we stop with the boo ooh Sony don't want to do it ? There is no point for Sony to do it, the only people that could benefit from it is Microsoft because of the low population on their consoles, Sony say no in the past and won't change their mind in the near future, move on.

Another thread about stuff we already know. No they won't allow crossplay. Crying about it for pages upon pages will not change this.

Definitely this.

CookTrain

Another thread about stuff we already know. No they won't allow crossplay. Crying about it for pages upon pages will not change this.

The more devs come out in favour of it, the more pressure there is on Sony. If you don't want it, if you want to sit on your hands, whatever... knock yourself out. That definitely won't change anything.

Can we stop with the boo ooh Sony don't want to do it ? There is no point for Sony to do it, the only people that could benefit from it is Microsoft because of the low population on their consoles, Sony say no in the past and won't change their mind in the near future.

Everyone benefits when there are more people in the player base. Quicker matchmaking, higher quality connections due to proximity. These are the reasons given by the rocket league developers as to why they are pushing for cross play.

Squishy3

Can we stop with the boo ooh Sony don't want to do it ? There is no point for Sony to do it, the only people that could benefit from it is Microsoft because of the low population on their consoles, Sony say no in the past and won't change their mind in the near future, move on.
There's no chance of them ever reconsidering their stance ever if people never talk about it.

Yup it does get a little bit murky but in the end of the day I still want to see it happen. Heck I even want mouse and keyboard support for the ps4 version.

Let's get one thing straight, Sony is not against cross-play - if they were, we wouldn't have it between PC & PS4.

I wonder what's stopping Sony from multiplatform cross online play?

CookTrain

Could you opt out on xbox ? I think this is a requirement of crossplay for xbox.

Not only could you opt out, the opt-in is a bit of a round the houses faff. I'm not sure the crossplay was meant to be unearthed in the first place at this point.

That topic ony bring hostility and bad faith from both sides.

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every system.

As for Sony supporters, it would be better to just say nothing at this point, especially since you don't even know the deep reasons behind Sony's stance (the children thing being obviously a random drunk PR). Fun fact : just don't post anything and the thread would not even reach page 3, because 1) the matter is deliberately overblown and 2) there is in fact nothing to discuss anymore until Sony gives some kind of explanation when being questioned about it (whenever you're ready, journalists).

Head.spawn

Yea Sony is being ridiculous.

BUT I can tell you one thing for sure, if MS was in the lead it'd have been Sony allowing cross platform play and MS denying it. Afterall remember MS is the same company that demands exclusive content for their version if the game comes out late on their platform, resulting in developers having only two options i.e. either delay the game or give in to their demands. It's also the same company that blocks universal standards like USB with a requirement for a proprietary chip (they do this for wireless usb chat).

I don't understand how this keeps getting trotted out all of the time (especially in a completely unrelated thread), but there are tons of instances where this claim has proven to either be not accurate or not fully understood. Plenty of games have released where this isn't the case. They have always maintained "have a conversation, on a gamer per game basis" outside of that, we don't have any details other than few games coming with exclusive content and the majority just being straight up ports. On the other hand we also see the odd games going to PS4 later with more content, so what do we draw from that?

MUnited83

For you.

Definitely this.

The only way they will change it is if people continue complaining about it. So no, don't stop. Only fanboys want people to shut up about it.

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every support.

As for Sony supporters, it would be better to just say nothing at this point, especially since you don't even know the deep reasons behind Sony's stance (the children thing being obviously a random drunk PR). Fun fact : just don't post anything and the thread would not even reach page 3, because 1) the matter is deliberately overblown and 2) there is in fact nothing to discuss anymore about it, until Sony gives some kind of explanation when being questioned about it (whenever you're ready, journalists).
Is that you Sony?

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every support.

As for Sony supporters, it would be better to just say nothing at this point, especially since you don't even know the deep reasons behind Sony's stance (the children thing being obviously a random drunk PR). Fun fact : just don't post anything and the thread would not even reach page 3, because 1) the matter is deliberately overblown and 2) there is in fact nothing to discuss anymore about it, until Sony gives some kind of explanation when being questioned about it (whenever you're ready, journalists).

I partially agree, it's not an issue unless you play Minecraft.

RedRum

Banned
It's funny to see gamers turn into corporate business people when this topic arises. Sony has got a lot of you cheering for them no matter what decisions they make and you aren't even on the payroll. /s

If you can't see by now how console crossplay today can benefit gamers, then you're already lost to the shortsightedness.

The only way they will change it is if people continue complaining about it. So no, don't stop. Only fanboys want people to shut up about it.

The only way it will change is if Jonny casual goes to play his favorite online PS4 titles and can't find a game. That's the only way to make it an issue to the mass audiences, no matter how much message board and twitter complaining made by enthusiasts.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sony sold over 60 million PS4s

Microsoft hasnt even sold 30 million XB1.

Why would Sony want crossplay with XB1 again? They dont seem to have a problem with PC crossplay (Rocket League, SFV)

mejin

Let's get one thing straight, Sony is not against cross-play - if they were, we wouldn't have it between PC & PS4.

It's just business. Maybe when MS is desperate enough, Sony can finally listen to them and say: "You want cross-play with our worldwide platform? Bring the Xbox games to Playstation like Halo and Gears and maybe we can talk". Some shit like that.

Kolx

I mean you shouldn't really care about Sony excuse on why they don't wanna do it. Cross-play is pro-consumer and that's all that matter. It's still funny tho how many here who didn't care at all when MS was against it at the beginning of this gen, and now they care all of a sudden. If Sony refuses then dev can make a separate cross-play like in rocket league (ps4&pc \ xbox&pc)

MattAces

Most people in this thread will just talk about how Sony is the top dog, therefore won't allow it.
My person opinion is there's some policy that Sony couldn't come into an agreement with Xbox and I'm sure Sony proposed some changes that Microsoft couldn't agree too, therefore nothing happens. I mean, do people really think this is a simple case? I don't see why a company would intentionally make an anti-consumer decision. Fortnite had xbox-pc crossplay remove because of Microsoft policy.

But at the end of the day, it's all assumption and prediction. In short, this discussion is absolutely pointless without any solid evidence/insider. But people should make noise until they speak up and explain.

Head.spawn

It's just business. Maybe when MS is desperate enough, Sony can finally listen to them and say: "You want cross-play with our worldwide platform? Bring the Xbox games to Playstation like Halo and Gears and maybe we can talk". Some shit like that.

This thread isn't about MS doing anything, it's an indie developer.

They choose the wrong console if they wanted this feature.

I'd be amazed if they could get this game running on Switch. If so, Switch has magic in it.

Lom1lo

Why would Sony want crossplay with XB1 again? They dont seem to have a problem with PC crossplay (Rocket League, SFV)

Because its good for everyone ?! Because they are 4theplayers ?
I dont get this fanboy shit, some people are really in love with their console company

That's something I guess. Microsoft might never do that.

They just block Xbox connection exclusively.

They denied Nintendo as well.

Most people in this thread will just talk about how Sony is the top dog, therefore won't allow it.
My person opinion is there's some policy that Sony couldn't come into an agreement with Xbox and I'm sure Sony proposed some changes that Microsoft couldn't agree too, therefore nothing happens. I mean, do people really think this is a simple case? I don't see why a company would intentionally make an anti-consumer decision. Fortnite had xbox-pc crossplay remove because of Microsoft policy.

But at the end of the day, it's all assumption and prediction. In short, this discussion is absolutely pointless without any solid evidence/insider. But people should make noise until they speak up and explain.

I completely agree.

ViviOggi

My person opinion is there's some policy that Sony couldn't come into an agreement with Xbox and I'm sure Sony proposed some changes that Microsoft couldn't agree too, therefore nothing happens. I mean, do people really think this is a simple case? I don't see why a company would intentionally make an anti-consumer decision.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

They should work on performance, pretty sure Sony allows that.

Yeah. But that's not the point. :)

To make consumers happy. But maybe I'm being naive when said consumers happily take up a 10 euros rise in their online paywall, which didn't exist last gen.

Ascenion

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every system.

Has gaming ever been this connected before? With online infrastructures this robust? No. It is a issue of an evolving medium. It was always going to be an issue. Consoles are going to evolve past something as simple as friends and a player base being the reason you pick a console to utilize.

Good for the dev for speaking up.

Sucks Sony is choosing this issue to die on.

MS themselves are still extremely spotty with Cross Play even between PC (or heck even with Windows Store x Steam) but at least they seem to be slowly getting their shit together.

Minecraft has sold 122 million copies, Sony has barely sold half of that. Why would Mojang want cross-play with PS4 again? Oh, maybe because it's good for consumers?

If your default action is to view a topic through the perspective of a company and not of your fellow consumers, you might want to take a step back and re-evaluate. Last generation when online passes were popular did you think "well yeah, why would they turn down free money"? When people complain about Comcast's data caps is your response "only a minority go over the cap, why would Comcast remove data caps?" If not, what is different for you in this topic than those?

In both cases it's consumers wanting what is best for them. What is best for the consumer and what is best for the company won't always line up, and as a consumer if you're not holding Sony stock your response in that should be to side with the consumer.

Top Bottom