• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nah, he still had at least this moment:

4858622-tien+epic.gif

Damn straight, Strongest Human gets the job done.

Puruzi

Banned
Krillin is stronger than Tien and Tien just straight sucks.

Got punked by Roshi and oneshot by base Gohan, man is trash.

TRASH

Eylos

Banned

TRASH
Tien Holded Cell to krilin escape with 18 in that Gif no?

Maybe in super he's Stronger now, krilin trained hard with 18

Anth0ny

Here it is kids,

38 Character RosterZ: Fuck Dragon Ball, Fuck Super and Fuck Your Dreams Edition!

dbzrosterfanartjustz4quq2.png

For comparison, my pre-E3 roster, back when I dreamed big:

dbzrosterfanartcropppi6sc3.png

I think one Oozaru character would be neat. He could play like Sentinel in Marvel 3: Big, slow target, easy to hit/combo, but if he gets one hit in it's going to be big damage. Also the most health in the game.

Artanisix

Here it is kids,

38 Character RosterZ: Fuck Dragon Ball, Fuck Super and Fuck Your Dreams Edition!

I think one Oozaru character would be neat. He could play like Sentinel in Marvel 3: Big, slow target, easy to hit/combo, but if he gets one hit in it's going to be big damage. Also the most health in the game.

puke this list

jett

D-Member
Here it is kids,

Needs more Saiyans.

I-hate-u

No offense Anth0ny, but that roster sucks big time.

1 version of Buu and Saiyans is enough (with the exception to kid Goku and adult Gohan maybe).

Kid Trunks, Goten, Nappa, Raditz, Andriod 20, Cooler, Gogeta, Kaioshin are meh picks.

Here it is kids,

Your second roster is better lol.

NeonZ

For anyone who's played Extreme Butoden, does it in any way differentiate Super Saiyan Blue Goku/Vegeta from their other forms?

Only SSG Goku and Blue Goku were there. Blue Vegeta was just an assist. But, yes, Blue Goku had a couple of different normals and different specials (a finger flip; a teleport followed by a kick sequence). SSJ God also had some unique specials (teleport outside of the screen and fly ahead very quickly; charge slowly ahead and if connecting hit with a strong one punch).

Anth0ny

No offense Anth0ny, but that roster sucks big time.

1 version of Buu and Saiyans is enough (with the exception to kid Goku and adult Gohan maybe).

Kid Trunks, Goten, Nappa, Raditz, Andriod 20, Cooler, Gogeta, Kaioshin are meh picks.

I'm aware.

It's my 38 character roster transformed to only include Z characters. And it becomes very difficult to make a good roster, as you can see.

Nappa and Raditz are in Extreme Butoden so I think we're getting them no matter what.

Boo is one of the big 3 main villains in DBZ. His transformations are so radically different that I think they could easily make 3 full, unique movesets based on Fat Boo, Super Boo (w/ Gotenks Boo and Gohan Boo as supers) and Kid Boo. I'm also trying to balance bad guys with good guys with these rosters.

Gogeta and fusion characters in general are extremely popular. They CONSTANTLY get new merch/cards/forms released in Japan, so that's the main reason why I expect to see Gogeta, Vegetto and Gotenks.

Agree with you on Goten, Kid Trunks, Kaioshin, Cooler and 20 (though I think there's some potential with him and his ki absorption stuff). Would take DB/Super characters over them in a heart beat.

Here it is kids,

No Launch or Arale! Trash list.

Anth0ny

If there's no base Goku and Vegeta, I don't think we're getting them. It'd presumably start from Namek like Hyper Dimension.

I hope you're right! I just think fighting game devs love to recycle already finished movesets between games, so including Nappa and Raditz would be cheap, and an easy way to increase that magical number of characters.

I-hate-u

I'm aware.

It's my 38 character roster transformed to only include Z characters. And it becomes very difficult to make a good roster, as you can see.

Nappa and Raditz are in Extreme Butoden so I think we're getting them no matter what.

Boo is one of the big 3 main villains in DBZ. His transformations are so radically different that I think they could easily make 3 full, unique movesets based on Fat Boo, Super Boo (w/ Gotenks Boo and Gohan Boo as supers) and Kid Boo. I'm also trying to balance bad guys with good guys with these rosters.

Gogeta and fusion characters in general are extremely popular. They CONSTANTLY get new merch/cards/forms released in Japan, so that's the main reason why I expect to see Gogeta, Vegetto and Gotenks.

Agree with you on Goten, Kid Trunks, Kaioshin, Cooler and 20 (though I think there's some potential with him and his ki absorption stuff). Would take DB/Super characters over them in a heart beat.

2 Goku/Vegeta fusions inspire of their popularity are overkill, especially in the low 20ish roster I am expecting at launch.

Anth0ny

2 Goku/Vegeta fusions inspire of their popularity are overkill, especially in the low 20ish roster I am expecting at launch.

Oh well yeah, if you're expecting low 20s I doubt both get in. Probably only Vegetto.

But if 2 Goku/Vegeta fusions are overkill, then 4 slots taken up by SSJ Goku, SSJ Vegeta, SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta is extreme overkill, especially for a low 20s roster. I really don't want duplicate characters like that.

I'd rather have SSB via an alternate costume or a second super. Different supers are a must imo, so much potential especially for the more popular characters.

SSB Vegeta as a skin or transformation would be neat, but as his own separate character - he does absolutely fucking nothing different than normal SSJ Vegeta.

Black should definitely make it in over Merged Zamasu too, the former is actually badass and somewhat interesting.

notaskwid

I don't think thay Gogeta will make the base roster, Vegito sure.
I also think that merged Zamasu is the likeliest choise to be the boss in the game, unless they have no other Super characters. If that's the case then no Zamasu, Black or Hit and the boss will be Beerus.

TRASH

A writer on Super said that as much that that scene was misleading. The writer said Roshi was amped up on extra strength from the evil magic

Between the movies and the canon material, in the Cell and Buu arcs, Tien got better shine than Krillin. Including in the BOG film/anime adaptation. People are being way to quick to count Tien as being over

dragon-ball-super-ep7-n.jpg

^^^Krillin sat on the sideline here. Krillin sat on the sideline when the Z Fighters all jumped in on on 18 beating up Vegeta. Tien may not have accomplished much in the moment but he actually had a moment of being highlighted briefly in the Buu arc. His scene stalling Cell is a fan favorite. He got to fight Trunks in a movie and did okay until the SSJ transformation. I know it's canon that Krillin is stronger but the dogpile on Tien is pretty ridiculous

I still think that Android 17, 18 and 16 are a lock for this game, simply because of the 3v3 aspect.

I mean...it's perfect--a team of Android 17, 18 and 16 in a 3v3 DBZ fighting game! Whether or not we get that will remain to be seen, but I hope it happens.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The way those interviews are going, it sounds like there won't be clone characters, at least I hope. And she's mentioned Caulifla too many times now to not put her in the game.

Anyway, updated roster guesses:

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Future Trunks

Gotenks
Tien
Krillin
Piccolo
Pan
Videl
Caulifla
Master Roshi
Mr. Satan
Freeza
Ginyuu
Cell
N16
N18
Majin Buu
Dabura
Broly
Beerus
Hit
Merged Zamasu

Confirmed characters in bold.

I-hate-u

^ That's a near perfect list except swap Pan out for Bulma.

If you want some GT representation put a stage with Dan Dan theme playing in the background or something. There is plenty of compelling characters in DB, DBZ and Super to pick freaking someone like Pan.

Neoxon

The way those interviews are going, it sounds like there won't be clone characters, at least I hope. And she's mentioned Caulifla too many times now to not put her in the game.

Anyway, updated roster guesses:

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Future Trunks

Gotenks
Tien
Krillin
Piccolo
Pan
Videl
Caulifla
Master Roshi
Mr. Satan
Freeza
Ginyuu
Cell
N16
N18
Majin Buu
Dabura
Broly
Beerus
Hit
Merged Zamasu

Confirmed characters in bold.
Swap Dabura for 17 & we're good to go.

I-hate-u

Didn't see anyone bring it up, but how about this guy?

Red Ribbon is one of my favorite arcs of the franchise, and I would love to see some representation from it. Tao Pai Pai would have prefect, but alas ;(

Anth0ny

Didn't see anyone bring it up, but how about this guy?

Red Ribbon is one of my favourite arcs of the franchise, and I would love to see some representation from. Tao Pai Pai would have prefect, but alas ;(

I like Blue, but if we ain't getting Tao I don't think we're getting any RR representation :(

Flowmoney

The roster is gonna be like :

Goku

Vegeta

Cell Saga Gohan

Ultimate Gohan

Android Saga Future Trunks

Gotenks

Vegito

Android 17

Android 18

Piccolo

Krillin

Tien

Freeza (with Golden)

Perfect Cell

Majin Buu

*Kid Buu or Super Buu

SSB Goku

SSB Vegeta

Beerus

Whis

*Maybe Kid Goku

*Maybe Dragon Ball Bulma

Even this list is too big and potentially incorrect if they go for like a sole evil saiyan or Captain Ginyu with like Ginyu force as like assists or something.

I like Yamcha but there were like several earlier DBZ games without him. People like Black and Hit are probably gonna be like first dlc characters announced and have a slot like on guilty gear waiting on them but we know they are coming like a month before launch.

The roster is gonna be like :

Goku

Vegeta

Cell Saga Gohan

Ultimate Gohan

Android Saga Future Trunks

Gotenks

Vegito

Android 17

Android 18

Piccolo

Krillin

Tien

Freeza (with Golden)

Perfect Cell

Majin Buu

*Kid Buu or Super Buu

SSB Goku

SSB Vegeta

Beerus

Whis

*Maybe Kid Goku

*Maybe Dragon Ball Bulma

Even this list is too big and potentially incorrect if they go for like a sole evil saiyan or Captain Ginyu with like Ginyu force as like assists or something.

I like Yamcha but there were like several earlier DBZ games without him. People like Black and Hit are probably gonna be like first dlc characters announced and have a slot like on guilty gear waiting on them but we know they are coming like a month before launch.

SSBs are gonna be DLCs 100%. Those forms were made for merchandising. Number 1 reason Toei hates Ultimate Gohan.

Spman2099

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to write out my roster of choice.

So, this roster is going to be constructed around the idea that we are probably going to get around 25 characters. 20 would seem like the very minimum, and 30 would be the maximum. So I am choosing to split the difference.

The Usual, and Confirmed, Suspects

So, first thing's first. Get the confirmed out of the way...

Goku
Vegeta
Cell
Frieza
Fat Buu
Trunks
Teen Gohan

These character were almost all locks anyway. On the positive side, three of them are visually unique, and Trunks could add some additional variety with his sword. The danger of Saiyans overwhelming the cast, however, is already present. Moreover, there are no females and six and a half of these characters are DBZ representatives (Frieza can pass as a Super character).

4/25 Saiyan
0/25 Female
7/25 Total

Smart Dragon Ball Representatives

If done right, smart Dragon Ball selections can cover multiple series...

Master Roshi
Bulma
Kid Goku
Desert Bandit Yamcha

This gives us the core cast of classic Dragon Ball, allows for gameplay variety, and has two characters that are relevant to more than one series (Yamcha and Roshi). Roshi gives us some age variety. Adding Yamcha in his Dragon Ball form does, unfortunately, undercut the return of the Junpei's baseball mechanics from Persona, but it does potentially bring a second sword user to the cast. Adding Bulma gives us our first female character (which is important, as female representation is something we are going to have to fight for). As people have already mentioned, Bulma should be more focused on capsules, maybe giving her more of a Phoenix Wright type of approach from MvC3 (except, instead of looking for evidence she would be taking capsules out of her bag). Oolong can also act as one of her moves (once again, drawing comparisons with Phoenix Wrong in MvC, think Maya) filling out the Dragon Ball side even more. Obviously Piccolo and Tenshinhan change very little between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, so they also sorta double back. Kid Goku is technically a Saiyan, but that is a bit of an anachronistic thought, as Saiyans didn't exist during Dragon Ball. More importantly, this is a very distinct variation of the character, who was the protagonist for a long stretch, he deserves a place.

4.5/25 Saiyan
1/25 Female
11/25 Total

The Obvious Picks

Speaking of Piccolo...

Piccolo
Android 18
Krillin

Krillin comes in rocking his DBZ look, as it is just more iconic. 18 is the quite possibly the most obvious choice, as she is the only easy to add/relevant female character. Piccolo was always going to make it. All these characters also add a little more variety to the game. Which is nice.

4.5/25 Saiyan
2/25 Female
14/25 Total

More Diversity...

Tenshinhan
Android 17
Ginyu Force
Zangya

All of these characters are visually interesting to some degree. 17 is the only male character with a deceptively effete build, Tenshinhan, and his huge build and third eye, also rocks a pretty distinct look. Now, Zangya is obviously a strange pick that I am sure some will take issue with, but we need to fight for that female representation, and it gives us another interesting female design. The Ginyu Force would have different members of the Ginyu Force acting as different special moves, with Ginyu being the base. This could be a lot of zany fun and covers the most important secondary villains from the Frieza arc.

4.5/25 Saiyan
3/25 Female
18/25 Total

Super Representation

Hit
Beerus
Kale
Future Mai

Hit and Beerus seem like obvious picks, as they are both visually unique and add some more diversity to the cast (they also appear to be super popular). Cabba definitely doesn't have a place, as he is just a generic Saiyan. Caulifla seems like the most interesting of the three, but we don't want to inflate the amount of Saiyans, and Kale opens the door for something a little more unique (which I will touch on at the end). Future Mai gives us another nod to classic Dragon Ball as well as another female heroin. Her focus on ballistics also adds more interest to the roster.

5.5/25 Saiyan
5/25 Female
22/25 Total

Fun IS Allowed

Great Saiyaman
Videl
Mr. Satan

Finally, to round off the roster, add a few of the more goofy characters. Videl may not be considered super goofy, but she is still closely involved with the Saiyaman arc, so I am going to lump her in with the others. Mr. Satan and Great Saiyaman allow for a little more of that trademark Dragon Ball levity. This also gives us the most interesting iteration of Adult Gohan.

6.5/25 Saiyan
6/25 Female
25/25 Total

Premium Skins

Lastly, using the aforementioned character list, we can add some fun, fan-favorite characters through premium skins. These would give preexisting characters a new voice and look, but wouldn't change the character's gameplay.

First, Broly obviously would be a premium skin for Kale. This could even be the pre-order bonus. Cooler could be a skin for Frieza. You could also do a King Piccolo skin for the regular Piccolo, giving more Dragon Ball representation.

This is also another way for Arc System Works to make some easy money, as they can recolor Vegeta and Goku and sell their SSB "premium outfits".

Characters as premium skins, as second skins?

Ehhhhh I don't know if I would want that. D:
I think every character should be his own character with own moveset and everything, no matter how similar they are, just a little difference in 3-4 moves or movement could be enough to play him completely different.

Top Bottom