• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight S.E. out on consoles today

Drewfonse

Can the monsters be hurt or damaged in any way? Is there a way to slow them down other than the pallets?

Also, if the survivors get all of the generators going, how do they know where to go to escape?

Performance on XB1 is rough. Feels like it hovers around 25 FPS most of the time. That said, I was initially pretty negative about the core gameplay but I'm starting to dig it more with time.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This has RPG elements? Do you keep all your skills learned? Etc
you can keep perks, some of which are much rarer and more useful than others. Most things you unlock are one-time use, but perks are persistent.

Can the monsters be hurt or damaged in any way? Is there a way to slow them down other than the pallets?

Also, if the survivors get all of the
generators going, how do they know where to go to escape?

You can get a one-match use flashlight that can do a really nice stun to monsters, even make them drop a victim! You can upgrade the flashlight, too.
To escape a siren goes off and the silhouette of the gate glows, but you still need to manually open it.

catspit

you can keep perks, some of which are much rarer and more useful than others. Most things you unlock are one-time use, but perks are persistent.

You can get a one-match use flashlight that can do a really nice stun to monsters, even make them drop a victim! You can upgrade the flashlight, too.
To escape a siren goes off and the silhouette of the gate glows, but you still need to manually open it.

What do you mean by rare? Everyone gets a different set of perks? / randomized?

Horseticuffs

What do you mean by rare? Everyone gets a different set of perks? / randomized?
I believe each character has some perks that are unique and their rarity is randomized like Diablo. You might have a common or extremely rare version drop in your blood web.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Rocketz

Performance on XB1 is rough. Feels like it hovers around 25 FPS most of the time. That said, I was initially pretty negative about the core gameplay but I'm starting to dig it more with time.

Woof

It didn't look great in a couple video's I watched on the game store so I guess I'm holding off for now and see if we get any improvements.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Interesting. I've seen most people say F13 destroys this game. I'm looking forward to some impressions.

Probably the people you're talking about are DbD burnouts, looking for the next fix. From what I've seen of F13 DbD has a lot more depth/replayability.

Horseticuffs

I'll tell you all this; the performance on the Pro has been smooth sailing through calm seas as opposed to the PC in my anecdotal experience. It's nice as hell to just be able to get into a game and enjoy myself without having to wonder why my performance is so bad and be distracted the whole while.

theJwac

I played last night on Xbox One. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't played the PC version since last August/September so it was nice to see some of the more recent killers and survivors. I played wraith for a while and didn't let a single survivor go. I then switched to survivor and realized I had no idea how to sprint as the doctor killed me within a minute of the first match...I got better :)

All around, gameplay and the UI seemed ok on Xbox. Playing with friends doesn't seem to be the shit show it was this time last year on PC. My biggest gripe would be the default controls are a bit strange. Running with LB is just bizarre, but I haven't figured out a control scheme that I like yet. If anyone has ideas, I'd like to hear 'em!

Horseticuffs

I played last night on Xbox One. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't played the PC version since last August/September so it was nice to see some of the more recent killers and survivors. I played wraith for a while and didn't let a single survivor go. I then switched to survivor and realized I had no idea how to sprint as the doctor killed me within a minute of the first match...I got better :)

All around, gameplay and the UI seemed ok on Xbox. Playing with friends doesn't seem to be the shit show it was this time last year on PC. My biggest gripe would be the default controls are a bit strange. Running with LB is just bizarre, but I haven't figured out a control scheme that I like yet. If anyone has ideas, I'd like to hear 'em!
I agree on that! There's gotta be some layout that would make QTE's way easier.

Drewfonse

Do i get more XP if I spectate when I die as opposed to leaving the match?

Also, I found an uncommon toolbox with 130 charges. Do i activate it with R2 right before trying to repair a generator?

And lastly, I'm confused about what happens when you unlock items. It says that they have been added to my inventory, but I only see theach last unlocked item in my inventory. Only one thing is in there, and I've unlocked 5 or 6 items through the the bloodweb.

Game is really fun so far.

Moofers

Really torn between this and Friday the 13th on PS4. I'm getting out of work in an hour and going home to buy one of them. Leaning toward this game, despite having had like 3 other people tell me to buy Friday.

Help complicate my purchasing decision, GAF!

Really torn between this and Friday the 13th on PS4. I'm getting out of work in an hour and going home to buy one of them. Leaning toward this game, despite having had like 3 other people tell me to buy Friday.

I'm in the same boat, I can't decide. What's drawing me to Dead by Daylight though, is the variety of enemy characters, and the procedural level generation. I imagine Friday might get kind of stale with the levels.

But on the other hand, Jason....

I picked this up last night on PS4, never having played it. I've only been playing as a survivor. My first game, I was downed, hooked, and killed in about a minute(kept trying to escape, speeding up my sacrifice) lol. Died the next 3 or so games before getting better, and was able to escape the last few times. It's a tense game, especially when you're repairing generators. Those skill checks. I'm having lots of fun with this and Friday the 13th. Both games are the same genre, but they're different enough. I hope DBD sells well on consoles.

Drewfonse

I bought F13th and almost immediately regretted it. Clumsy, ugly, and just not fun. Beyond that, it almost requires using a mic with strangers, which is no fun for me. And potentially looooooooong wait times to get back into the action if you die early in a match.

I'm just enjoying DBD a lot more. Quick, snappy rounds, relatively easy to pick up, and very fun. No mic required for a good time.

You're doing the same thing in every single round (trying to start 5 generators), but they've managed to make that fun and tense. Do you go save a hooked teammate or finish repairing a generator? :(

Edit: after playing for 4 hrs today, this game is a blast. Each round is tense, and plays out differently. When you're up against a good killer, it's tough. I had a nice cat and mouse game as the last survivor with a half fixed final generator. Nail biter, but he got me.

Love this game.

drotahorror

Do i get more XP if I spectate when I die as opposed to leaving the match?

Hell no. Once you die feel free to leave. One of the dumbest things I've ever experienced in a game was having to wait an entire match to cache my XP (F13 the game).

And yeah you use your toolbox on gens with w/e the use button is on the controller. Same with hooks. Some toolboxes are better for sabotaging (sabo) and some are better for repairing. Look for words int he description like 'moderately increases repair speed' 'considerably increases sabotaging speed'. Then depending on what your motive is, put some addons on that go hand in hand with the toolbox.

That's a mechanics toolbox (considerably increase repair speed) with a socket swivel (moderately increase repair speed) and Instructions which increases the repair speed efficiency.

Use something like that if you want to rush gens. Remember to not completely use the item fully so you can keep it for the next round.

Also people seem to get torn up about losing items. Like I said, either leave a sliver of the item so you can keep it for next time, or just keep playing. On my main survivor I have hundreds of items.

Drewfonse

Hell no. Once you die feel free to leave. One of the dumbest things I've ever experienced in a game was having to wait an entire match to cache my XP (F13 the game).

And yeah you use your toolbox on gens with w/e the use button is on the controller. Same with hooks. Some toolboxes are better for sabotaging (sabo) and some are better for repairing. Look for words int he description like 'moderately increases repair speed' 'considerably increases sabotaging speed'. Then depending on what your motive is, put some addons on that go hand in hand with the toolbox.

That's a mechanics toolbox (considerably increase repair speed) with a socket swivel (moderately increase repair speed) and Instructions which increases the repair speed efficiency.

Use something like that if you want to rush gens. Remember to not completely use the item fully so you can keep it for the next round.

Also people seem to get torn up about losing items. Like I said, either leave a sliver of the item so you can keep it for next time, or just keep playing. On my main survivor I have hundreds of items.

Got it. I didnt realize there was a meter that showed you how much of a toolbox you've used. This game is really fun. I'm escaping with more regularity, and have Meg up to 10. I just unlocked a very rare perk that gives her that initial boost while sprinting.

I definitely like playing more as a survivor than a killer, though.

pots555

I love the game but it's tough! I am escaping more than in the beginning, so I am getting better. I am so bad as the killer. I prefer playing as the survivors. Much more fun. The only downside, even if I understand why they do it, is the killer camping beside the hooks.

Horseticuffs

I love the game but it's tough! I am escaping more than in the beginning, so I am getting better. I am so bad as the killer. I prefer playing as the survivors. Much more fun. The only downside, even if I understand why they do it, is the killer camping beside the hooks.
Face camping is highly frowned upon in the PC community. Personally, I think it's dumb to expect a killer to play by rules like that. I don't often play a killer either, so it's not just trying to excuse shitty behavior.

I really haven't seen ANY console community spring up for this game, so how are all these new console folks supposed to know that it is considered poor sportsmanship? No way they really can with no voice chat.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

I like Dead By Daylight cause usually it feels faster paced and the way you move through the maps to the objectives and ways you can trick the killer with the environment or as a killer use different skills gives you a rather fun experience. Sure the objective is always to start 5 generators and escape but the way to do it will always vary depending the killer and strategies used plus the team mates.

Both are fun games but I feel DbD is also more polished than F13 and its also cheaper to get. F13th I can see perhaps waiting for a bit more of content later on this year but in the end both are good purchases for the sense of fun. DbD feels more fleshed out atm but then again that had more time in the oven.

Anybody know if the Halloween dlc is or will be available on console?

No clue for the moment. Original DbD content will be available but as far other intellectual properties like Halloween and Bill from Left 4 Dead are a question mark at the moment.

Karamsoul

Anybody know if the Halloween dlc is or will be available on console?

It will almost certainly be guaranteed. DbD devs need a trump card against Jason from F13 and the easiest way is to port over Michael Myers, map, and music from the DbD PC Halloween DLC and license. Wouldn't be surprised if it's released this October, either.

Horseticuffs

Earlier I finally played against someone who was the doctor and that was so cool! Running around, screaming, seeing stuff. Everyone around me screaming and running around.

I haven't played a killer on PS4 yet, but I loved the Hag on PC. I think I'll make a doc this time around!

Drewfonse

I agree. It's a lot more fun. Everytime I get hooked and the killer just stares at me, or idly whacks me, I'm like, yeah motherfucker you do that while my teammates all get a free pass to jump on the generators.

I played as the Dr once, and did Ok, but at the select character screen, I was thinking "if they only knew how shitty I am as a killer, they wouldn't be afraid at all", hahaha

They are mechanically very different even though the premise sounds the same. To summarize what I'll type below, in essence DBD is a hide and seek game. F13 is a scavenger hunt under pressure.

DBD are quick games in relatively small maps, with a single objective of start the generators. Easy to pick up, good amount of progression and stuff, good amount of variety but it's not an overly deep game IMO (can be positive or negative to each person!). You also don't need mics most of the time. It's fun, but is pretty much a game of hide and seek.

F13 has a lot more things to do. More items, more objectives (call tommy, call the police, repair the boat or repair one of two cars being the big ones) and the maps are much larger. F13 is more of a scavenger hunt type of game, and has some hide and seek elements, but not as strong as DBD. It's lacking in enemy/map variety compared to DBD as well, but I imagine with DLC in the future, that's going to change just as it did for DBD. The other big aspect is teamwork is pretty much required with an emphasis on voice chat.

I'm a fan of DBD. Owned it for a while. In my opinion, DBD is the better game right now. F13 has the most potential, but needs more polish and content before it can take that top spot in my mind. In a lot of ways, F13 is where DBD was when it launched a year ago so I'm curious how it will improve over the next few months.

Karamsoul

Is it just me or do others also love playing as a survivor? I can't get enough of the tension it creates. Being a killer is fun as heck but desperately running around as a survivor is a whole different level of terror. Love this game!

drotahorror

Is it just me or do others also love playing as a survivor? I can't get enough of the tension it creates. Being a killer is fun as heck but desperately running around as a survivor is a whole different level of terror. Love this game!

It's basically the opposite of F13. In DBD survivor is fun, strategic, and takes skill (also can be very tense). In F13, it's dull, boring and takes luck (never once got any sort of tense feeling from F13 unfortunately).

In DBD killer is sometimes fun, takes a lot of skill (to 4 man a good group of survivors), but can be very frustrating as well. In F13 killer is sometimes fun (can be boring if you're aiming to kill all survivors, the strategy doesn't change much and becomes repetitive imo), takes little skill, and is very easy-going. The one time I felt frustrated in F13 was when I was in a lobby with 600 ping as killer.

In terms of fun I feel like killing has a solid advantage in F13. DBD can be way too frustrating and unforgiving. On the other hand, F13 takes little effort to do well as Jason so it might not feel as rewarding. I do hope they implement a way to play as Jason in F13 because that's the only thing interesting and fun in the game.

pots555

Survivor all the way! I've had so many tense moments today. In one of the game , I escaped while I was crawling on the ground. Just got off before the killer game back! In another one, spent 20 Minutes, alone with the killer, finishing generators. Barely managed to get out alive. Fantastic game!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Its fun and tense as hell when you are near the end of the game or close to dying and managing to escape the killer and get healed and mess more around. Its pretty satisfying.

jtrov

Even with the double exp weekend for F13 I can't stop playing this to start the weekend.

Few questions for those more familiar with the game. When it comes to survivor rank, why does it take so long to rank up (down), but then on one bad round it seems to neglect everything you've done and immediately lost your rank. And when playing against Killers who camp survivors on the hooks, what are some tips in rescuing these people? Or are they just a lost cause?

If anyone wants to group up at some point on Xbox, just message me.

Obscura

Bought last night. Absolutely loving it.

Question though... My level 6 Meg had one node left which I attempted to "fill" without realizing I didn't have enough blood. That was fine, it gave me the blood back, everything was cool. The game after that though, I pressed circle to go to my bloodweb and I was level 7. Was that a glitch or part of the game?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Few questions for those more familiar with the game. When it comes to survivor rank, why does it take so long to rank up (down), but then on one bad round it seems to neglect everything you've done and immediately lost your rank. And when playing against Killers who camp survivors on the hooks, what are some tips in rescuing these people? Or are they just a lost cause?
Rank is pretty useless, but for both killers and survivors, it's supposed to reward you for playing well. You have to get 5K in two scoring categories to rank up. For what it's worth, 90% of the player population is rank 20.

It's easier to have two people going for the save against campers: one to distract, the other to get the unhook. You also can bait the killer to hit the hooked person, and then get the hooked person off when the killer is wiping the weapon off. In that scenario, you'd have to tank a hit to make sure the unhooked person can escape though, so you should only really try that if you're confident you can tank aggro. Otherwise, wait for the killer to look away for a few seconds.

Question though... My level 6 Meg had one node left which I attempted to "fill" without realizing I didn't have enough blood. That was fine, it gave me the blood back, everything was cool. The game after that though, I pressed circle to go to my bloodweb and I was level 7. Was that a glitch or part of the game?
That seems like a glitch.

drotahorror

Even with the double exp weekend for F13 I can't stop playing this to start the weekend.

If anyone wants to group up at some point on Xbox, just message me.

After a game you either derank (lose 1 pip), safe-pip, or gain a pip.

First off, each rank consists of pips. I believe lower (rank 20,19, etc) have 3 pips per rank. As you get higher (6, 5, 4, etc) it takes more pips to rank up around 5. Notice in the picture below, above the rank 6 is 5 marks. 3 are white and 2 are black. I need 2 more pips and I'll be rank 5.

This is the only picture I could find of mine and it's showing a bug but

If you don't reach that black notch before the first white notch, you derank. Reach the black notch but not the white one, safe-pip (you gain nor lose no pips), reach the white notch, you gain 1 pip. Reach the final red notch you gain 2 pips.

1 pip = 5000 points in one category (objective, survival, bold, altruism) (You can only go up to 8000 points in one category, it will say Max in game as you are playing if you are max)

To safe pip you need to get a mix of atleast 2 different categories equaling 7000 points.
To pip you need 10000 across atleast 2 different categories.
To double pip you need to get atleast 5000 in all 4 categories.

Keep in mind you get 5000 for exiting through the gate in the survival category. If you leave via the hatch you get 5000 survival and 2000 objective.

Bought last night. Absolutely loving it.

It's a bug and a great way to save 32k from levels 6-9. If you leave only an 8k bloodpoint node during those levels, back away from the bloodweb, and then come back, you'll gain a level without spending the 8k. Sucks if it was a perk but always go for perks first.

Here's an example of a lvl 8 bloodweb that I'm about to save 8k on

Horseticuffs

Nice to see we're at page 2 now! Kind of shocked by the lack of interest for this on this forum.

SPEAKING of shocking, though (HA HA HA); I was a Hag dude as a PC player, so I fully intended to go Hag again on console. Until that is, I played against a dude playing as the good Doctor. I hadn't really read anything about the Spark of Madness update. I knew the streamer lady, I knew the doctor, and seeing the inside level of the Institution on a YouTube vid was actually convinced me to pick up the SE. I had no idea of what the Doctor did, even.

When I started hallucinating and screaming it really blew my mind. It was a very similar experience to playing against the Hag, as you never know where she'll explode out of. The only downside is that I don't know how if the hallucinations are ass effective as the Hag. With the Hag you never know if she's just going to stay a copy, or if they might take over the copy and actively start chasing you. With the Doctor, he isn't like Jason from F13, if you have a general idea where he is you KNOW he isn't going to just pop into your field of view from the other direction, so it doesn't actually seem very effective. Maybe they ought to have like hallucinations of Generators or flashing lights that distract the player or something. I just don't know that the hallucinations are going to be helpful a large part of the time.

It's a really cool concept, for sure. That's what attracted me to the Doctor and so far I've really been enjoying playing as him. Maybe I'm wrong or misunderstanding his abilities. I'm interested in others' opinions.

drotahorror

Doctor is low tier. Not to say he's not fun to play but a good group of survivors will abuse him badly. Doctor and Wraith are great for new people though since they're good at finding survivors and learning the game.

On PC atleast....

Nurse > Hag/Billy > Trapper/Michael > Doctor/Wraith imo (there's honestly not much debate here unfortunately)

There are people that are really good at doc/wraith though. But they would be even more effective playing another killer. I"m not 100% sure but wraith or doc is getting reworked soon hopefully.

jtrov

Appreciate the info fellas. Just had my first match where I was actually the last survivor and found the hatch and escaped. Felt real gooood too considering he was on my ass for what felt like an eternity.

Digging this game so much right now. Really want that Halloween DLC now though lol. Watched some videos and the map mixed with the music... Damn just chills. Hoping it drops sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom