• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surge |OT| Electrifying Match 3 on Vita

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
jRUyXt9Ugvblb.jpg

iQ9FDs3TosiIO.jpg

Developer: FuturLab
Platform: PSMobile on PSVita or any other PlayStation certified device
Price: $3,29
Go to the PSMOBILE tab in the PSN store to find it! (Available in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia)

Features:
- electrifiying and unique Match 3 gameplay
- Online Worldwide leaderboard
- 7 different types of action blocks
- Great soundtrack
- In game trophies
- You can still be one of the first 100 to play it! (Karma +1)

iPRoGsdDfXyV8.jpg

Gameplay & Impressions:
The core premise is simple, it revolves around you "drawing" lines between same colored blocks. Did you connect at least 2, you can stop the combo and get the points for it. The more blocks you connect, the more points you get. This game is frantic, unique and highly addicting. It also has a surprising amount of depth and strategy when you need to consider trying to pull off high value combos but may risk running out of time. The several different action blocks (Bomb block, color block, multiplier block..) and the high pace gameplay ensure that boredom is almost impossible. I downloaded this game 4 AM yesterday night.. and well... lets just say FuturLab are the destroyers of sleep.
The basic gameplay mechanics are definitely rather simple, but this game is soooo addicting. This game definitely deserves proper PSN release love with more modes, friend leaderboards, PSN trophies, other color schemes/skins and especially more attention from the general Vita crowd. This game is ridiculously polished and despite only being a small PSM game so damn deserves an OT to give it some more attention.

Screenshots:

GAF Scores

Unfortunately there are no friend leaderboards, I'll update this post with the scores from Gaffers from time to time.

Code:
3,816,259 - Zeeroid
3,496,964 - Toma
3,408,134 - TheExecutive
2,720,097 doughnuts - Monosokui
2,308,811 - mauaus
2,218,302 - Takao
1,726,655 - Carl
1,355,155 - MisterC20XX
827,222 - Cardon

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the game already out?

Its a PSMobile game, I heard PSMobile isnt available for every region? Anyone know more?

Also, rank 1 worldwide is "joseqq lolgaf", another gaffer? That would mean we have the top 3 in the game :p

Cardon

I'll at least be happy knowing I was #4 for at least 30 minutes last night (I'm ian86), but I obviously have a long way to go based on the latest score rankings.

But yeah, I really recommend people check the game out. So far it's nothing but pure arcade puzzle fun at it's finest and it's easily in my top 3 PS Mobile games.

Toma

I'll at least be happy knowing I was #4 for at least 30 minutes last night (I'm ian86), but I obviously have a long way to go based on the latest score rankings.

But yeah, I really recommend people check the game out. So far it's nothing but pure arcade puzzle fun at it's finest and it's easily in my top 3 PS Mobile games.

I think its even in my top 3 PSN only games for Vita:

MotorStorm RC
Sound Shapes
Surge

Sounds about right.

MisterC20XX

Warning: this game will cause you lose sleep, skip meals, neglect work, etc. Seriously, it is so addictive! I never would have thought a match three game could get me into some sort of trance playing it, it has that "in the zone" quality of a shmup because you're constantly scanning the play area looking for the best connections. Thanks to the leaderboards it's going to be something I will play for a long time. Since last night I fell from 17th to 36th. :-O

Toma

76 players on the leaderboard atm, you (yes, you!) can still be one of the first 100!

Toma

This game totally should have Lumines like skins that you unlock and change every 5 levels and then you can decide to roll with a certain skin you unlocked in another mode or something.

God, the possibilities of additional modes here are staggering. Cant tell you guys how much I'd love to see a version with more modes/skins and PSN goodies :/

Anything you guys would like to see?

This game totally should have Lumines like skins that you unlock and change every 5 levels and then you can decide to roll with a certain skin you unlocked in another mode or something.

God, the possibilities of additional modes here are staggering. Cant tell you guys how much I'd love to see a version with more modes/skins and PSN goodies :/

Anything you guys would like to see?
Skins would be awesome and a puzzle mode would be sweet. The mechanics lend themselves to hundreds of possibilities.

Toma

Skins would be awesome and a puzzle mode would be sweet. The mechanics lend themselves to hundreds of possibilities.

Yeah, or a Meteos style duel mode that would put 2 players against each other and everytime you destroy blocks, the opponents screen gets added a few. Havent thought much about balancing, but just in general. Or the puzzle mode you mentioned that would require the player to finish a screen within a limited amount of moves or something (or whatever other possibilities a puzzle mode could be).

Maaaan, cant wait for the velocity related unveiling on friday, but I sure hope that they consider looking another look at Surge as well. This game has so much potential, they could have a real hit on their hands with this one. Accessibility and Addictive gameplay should sell well provided enough content.

Toma

Just bought it; this game is rad

Does PSM even support friend leaderboards?

EDIT: I'm 6th now :p

Nope, Friend leaderboards only would be possible in a proper PSN release.
Right now FuturLab will be busy with their Velocity related news on friday, but after that is done, we should totally be vocal about getting a PSN release for this one as well. I'd definitely pay 10 bucks for a proper PSN version including PSN trophies, friend leaderboards and more modes and skins.

kiyomi

This game is really good.

I doubt I will get your guys' highscores but I'm having so much fun so far.

First run came to 882,622. I can see BlueMaxima and VanWinkle just ahead of me :mad:

Toma

Awesome, fun game!

CYBORG CYBORG CYBORG

Haha, yeah. This game has some neat little touches that make you feel awesome. Like playing with electricity at your finger tips or the CYBORG calls.

Rahk

Game did not disappoint. I played a couple games last night and made it to #8, but that was 12 hours ago and I guess I'm much lower now.

Top Bottom