• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming lettin' me down: Deus Ex: Human Revolution's atrocious stuttering bug

Lionheart1337 said:
If you're not using v-synch + triple buffering you have goofed.
Can't stand the input lag that causes. I'll go without both for a snappier mouse. I have a 120hz monitor so screen tearing is rarely an issue anyway.

scitek

Lionheart1337 said:
If you're not using v-synch + triple buffering you have goofed.

I have that forced with D3DOverrider, but I haven't tried the in-game options. Anyone think that could help?

Carm

Yea, I've had stuttering since day one amd phenom x4 3ghz 460gtx 1gig. It's not nearly as bad as the posted video, but it's still there. Doubt it will be fixed. Low or High settings don't seem to matter, stutters no matter what I've tried to do.

Ledsen said:
Has nothing to do with the problem this thread is about and doesn't help at all.

Speaking generally

WHOAguitarninja said:
Can't stand the input lag that causes. I'll go without both for a snappier mouse. I have a 120hz monitor so screen tearing is rarely an issue anyway.

I tend to go with it for single player games only.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
then it crashes every 5 minutes in DX11 mode for me with my GTX 580.

Up your GPU's voltage to 1.05. Fixed all stuttering/crashing issues for me (I'm on a GTX 570). For some reason the manufacturers of certain nVidia cards set the voltage at a level that makes DX11 impossible. Every DX11 game I've played has had the same issue... and now everything is fixed.

So yeah, up the voltage!

vocab said:
5850 here. Get stuttering like crazy. One second its 60 fps, next second it is 30 fps. This is not some simple caching/streaming problem. I walk into same bathroom numerous times, and get drops into the 30's. I get inconsistent performance walking down the same hallway that has already loaded. I refuse to play this game any further than I have already gotten (just hit the first mission with the hostages), and put up with the most distracting technical issue since Fallout 3's micro stutter of doom.

5850/i7 930/Win7 64 -- rocking solid 60 FPS. What are your settings?

Mine:

1920X1080 @ 60 hz

MLAA, Trilinear, SSAO (high), DOF (high)...everything enabled except for 3D.

Salsa

yes, mine had pretty bad stutter occasionally on city hubs throughout the whole game

it was gone during missions or specific areas, but it was pretty bad on cities

that said, it didnt really affect my time with the game at all and i still enjoyed it as much. Hopefully it'll get fixed in time for my second playthrough.

vaelic

Banned
Baller said:
Up your GPU's voltage to 1.05. Fixed all stuttering/crashing issues for me (I'm on a GTX 570). For some reason the manufacturers of certain nVidia cards set the voltage at a level that makes DX11 impossible. Every DX11 game I've played has had the same issue... and now everything is fixed.

So yeah, up the voltage!
thats a pretty blanket statement. careful ppl!

Sober

SalsaShark said:
yes, mine had pretty bad stutter occasionally on city hubs throughout the whole game

it was gone during missions or specific areas, but it was pretty bad on cities

that said, it didnt really affect my time with the game at all and i still enjoyed it as much. Hopefully it'll get fixed in time for my second playthrough.
Yeah I never noticed it except in hubs and mostly in Detroit. Was the transmitter mission in Detroit even in the hub? Because if it was, I didn't notice any stuttering there at all either. It seemed really to only be the main traffic areas where you run around from one quest to another.

L00P

Yeah I noticed that it stutters a lot when I change it to DX10. It still stutters in DX11, but I hardly notice it when I'm playing. Using a GTX 570 here

xXJonoXx

This probably doesn't apply to most people, but I had a similar problem with World of Warcraft stuttering while moving your character forward. The cause turned out to be MSI Afterburner. After uninstalling that program, it ran extra smooth. I then went and reinstalled Afterburner, and it came back just as predicted. Maybe it is something you guys who have stuttering and Afterburner can try.

Davidion

xXJonoXx said:
This probably doesn't apply to most people, but I had a similar problem with World of Warcraft stuttering while moving your character forward. The cause turned out to be MSI Afterburner. After uninstalling that program, it ran extra smooth. I then went and reinstalled Afterburner, and it came back just as predicted. Maybe it is something you guys who have stuttering and Afterburner can try.

That's interesting, I have afterburner and definitely experience stuttering, though only in DXHR and nothing else.

I'll have to try this tomorrow, who knows.

vocab

biggersmaller said:
5850/i7 930/Win7 64 -- rocking solid 60 FPS. What are your settings?

Mine:

1920X1080 @ 60 hz

MLAA, Trilinear, SSAO (high), DOF (high)...everything enabled except for 3D.

Tried everything. Honestly. I even turned off SSAO, and DOF because A) SSAO doesnt work, and B) DOF is an effect I hate.

The effect I have is lessened with Dx 9 and trilinear AF, but I still get micro stutter, and huge drops randomly.

Jerykk

Banned
The stuttering you see in city hubs has to do with streaming. The level is divided into sections which are loaded and unloaded as you move between them. It has nothing to do with your video card, it's just the way the game works. If you have a SSD setup with fast memory + CPU, the stuttering will be reduced but I'm pretty sure it'll never disappear entirely. I'd be shocked if the console versions didn't suffer from the exact same issue, especially when considering how much slower disc streaming is compared to hard drive streaming.

It's not really game-breaking either, IMO, since it only happens when streaming in new areas and this doesn't happen that often.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jerykk said:
The stuttering you see in city hubs has to do with streaming. The level is divided into sections which are loaded and unloaded as you move between them. It has nothing to do with your video card, it's just the way the game works. If you have a SSD setup with fast memory + CPU, the stuttering will be reduced but I'm pretty sure it'll never disappear entirely. I'd be shocked if the console versions didn't suffer from the exact same issue, especially when considering how much slower disc streaming is compared to hard drive streaming.

It's not really game-breaking either, IMO, since it only happens when streaming in new areas and this doesn't happen that often.
The consoles really don't suffer from this issue. Same deal with Unreal Engine 3 games. They stutter on the PC when loading new areas, but not on consoles.

Baller said:

So yeah, up the voltage!
I'm having the crashes in DX11, and the stuttering in DX10 (or DX9, whatever it is when you disable DX11).

1.05 seems quite high if default is 1.00 and max is 1.098 (according to ASUS Smart Doctor). How safe is 1.05? And anything else to adjust or just the voltage?

Mr_Brit

Banned
blackprophesy said:
I'm having the crashes in DX11, and the stuttering in DX10 (or DX9, whatever it is when you disable DX11).

1.05 seems quite high if default is 1.00 and max is 1.098 (according to ASUS Smart Doctor). How safe is 1.05? And anything else to adjust or just the voltage?
1.05 is lower than 1.098. :p

I upped the voltage on my GTX 580 to 1.1v.

Of course, I suggest people do some research in to safe voltage levels for their cards but it has helped.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Game runs with very good FPS for me, but i do have many stutters in city hubs. Doesn't make the game unplayable, but it sure hurts the experience. I got a 560GTX, 4gb of ram and a 3.2ghz AMD quadcore. Tried reducing video options to "medium" rather than "high", no difference. I haven't thought about updating my video drivers, but i guess that won't change anything seeing how many players have this issue.

dark10x

dyergram said:
If that bothered you wouldn't the ps3 frame rate bother you just as much?
Consistency is most important. I'd much rather play a game at a solid 30 fps than 60 fps with hitches and stuttering. A steady framerate that never (or rarely) budges provides the best results.

dark10x said:
Consistency is most important. I'd much rather play a game at a solid 30 fps than 60 fps with hitches and stuttering. A steady framerate that never (or rarely) budges provides the best results.

This

Hence i'm just playing my PS3 version in the meantime.

Otacon

dark10x said:
The consoles really don't suffer from this issue. Same deal with Unreal Engine 3 games. They stutter on the PC when loading new areas, but not on consoles.
That's not true. Currently playing the 360 version of DX:HR and I also get "stuttering" in the city hubs (not during missions) which really seems to be connected to streaming/loading a new area as Jerykk already mentioned.
I also had a few UE3 games stutter on my PS3 and 360 when a new section is loaded/the game is saved.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The stuttering problem in this game was very very insubstantial to me on my 5850, and I maxed the game out. I don't remember ever being bothered by it.

I played this game on PC and loved every second of it.

edit: btw, I think we're spoiled if we think that this is such a major problem. Like, really spoiled.

Chiggs

During my playthrough, the stuttering reared its head a few times, but didn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game...that's due to the story already hindering my enjoyment in the first place.

dark10x

Otacon said:
That's not true. Currently playing the 360 version of DX:HR and I also get "stuttering" in the city hubs (not during missions) which really seems to be connected to streaming/loading a new area as Jerykk already mentioned.
I also had a few UE3 games stutter on my PS3 and 360 when a new section is loaded/the game is saved.
I don't know about DX, but I can safely say that the stuttering you encounter in UE3 games on the PC is much much worse than anything you'll see in the console versions. There can still be small pauses once in a while, but it's nowhere near as severe.

From what I've seen of DXHR (in videos), the stuttering that occurs in the console versions is also much less severe than what you get on most PC configurations.

ctrayne

Hmm, that sucks. GTX 560ti here, maxed out DX11, 1080p, 60 FPS, installed on SSD. Butter smooth aside from very occasional loading in hub areas. I hope people with stuttering can get it fixed.

charsace

Maybe this is some driver issue? Having the same hardware as someone else and them not having the same problem doesn't mean anything. You probably have different things installed.

I have a 6950 2GB Crossfire system with a Vertex 3 SSD using Sata 3 at 450MB/s and i get them a lot, i kind of just learned to deal with them, i really hope they fix it before im done with the game.

blackprophesy said:

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I did some research and saw that many people with my card had increased their voltage with no problems. To be safe I created a custom GPU fan profile that scales the fan speed based on heat. I'm not sure if that really matters but it made me feel better.

To me there's really no option though, it's either increase my voltage or be unable to play DX11 games without crashing every 5 minutes. I didn't buy a GTX570 to play games in DX9.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
I don't know about DX, but I can safely say that the stuttering you encounter in UE3 games on the PC is much much worse than anything you'll see in the console versions. There can still be small pauses once in a while, but it's nowhere near as severe.

From what I've seen of DXHR (in videos), the stuttering that occurs in the console versions is also much less severe than what you get on most PC configurations.
I don't think I have ever had hitching in a UE3 engine game on PC. Feels good on my unicorn PC.

I also only get hitching in DXHR when it is clearing loading in a new area in a hub (like coming out of the subway area in Detroit). If consoles don't have a hitch there, my mind would be blown.

MNC

I want to point out that I *think* my stutter was gone after setting to DX11. It might just be placebo though but it feels better.

Baller said:
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I did some research and saw that many people with my card had increased their voltage with no problems. To be safe I created a custom GPU fan profile that scales the fan speed based on heat. I'm not sure if that really matters but it made me feel better.

To me there's really no option though, it's either increase my voltage or be unable to play DX11 games without crashing every 5 minutes. I didn't buy a GTX570 to play games in DX9.
Following on from this I've been doing a bit of research and found Asus actually released a new BIOS for the GTX570 (both standard and DirectCUII) in July to address DX11 stability issues, and the default voltage with the new BIOS is 1.025v. So I'll be updating my BIOS tonight and, fingers crossed, I'll have a far better time with Deus Ex (and others).

If anyone is interested: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX570_DCII2DIS1280MD5/#download

Thanks for highlighting the voltage issue. I'm a noob to PC gaming so learning these things as I go.

Fitz

I just decided to try switching from DX9 to DX11 mode and it virtually eliminated the stuttering for me, it was pretty bad before as well. Pretty lame situation though, as I was playing to DX9 so I could force some proper AA, which the game sadly lacks.

I've pretty much gotten to the point in my life where I just stop fucking around with PC game settings. Assuming the game is the right resolution and as long as the game has some sort of auto-detect I usually let it go with whatever it chooses. I've been playing DX:HR on my laptop and I think it looks absolutely fantastic, at least no worse than 90% of the screenshots and videos I've seen. No stuttering or apparent memory leaks (I've played for a few hours straight multiple times). For what it's worth my laptop has a i7-2630QM with a Radeon 6770M and 6GB of RAM.

P.S. I'm not implying the game stutters because you messed with the settings, I'm just saying in general I'm over the whole tweaking games out for maximum extremism.

Happens with me too regardless of settings so I just play everything maxed and take it like a bitch. It only happens in hub areas anyways, its not that big a deal. I've completed the game twice with this problem.

Specs:
i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz
Radeon HD5850
4GB RAM

Top Bottom