• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

syko de4d

That is hilarious, I love it. I really hope there are a ton of unique and viable builds down the road.

Every Diamond Supporter (1000$) can design their own Unique with the Developer. There are over 150 of them now. So this alone is 150 Unqiues, where still the most is in work.

And the Diamond Supporter Uniques represent only 1/4 - 1/3 of all Uniques :)

spirity

There will be occasions when your skill tree points will get reset. This will come usually after a major patch that tackles balancing. But its not a big deal to just go and spend your points again, and hey, look on it as a free respec.

Playing this currently and I really like what they're doing, but I actually prefer pretty colors to GrimDark. Other than that they're doing some really cool stuff. I didn't understand what the point was with the non-gold economy but reading the OP makes it make a lot of sense. Clearly some forethought went into this stuff.

Rubius

If i had $1000 i would probably make a Rubber dildo weapon for PoE.

You know, I would probably make a talking sword. A sword that make a "ouch!" sound when you get a critical, and scream like a women in a old horror movie, when you are near death. Her name would be Tyna. Double red, Double green. Reduce the armor of the creatures around.

Could be cool.

I imagine your melee ranger would get it's face smashed in on harder content.

As it was mentioned, you can get more armor from converting evasion to armor using Iron Reflexes. Plus dex gives you more evasion. The evasion aura grace is much cheaper to run than the armor version.

That's the thing about the passive system is that you can do pretty much anything.
I probably will stick with the Barbarian and go full defense or double handed. Still checking that.
Passive system doesn't add skills though. I guess I'm looking for more variety in the Strength builds than primarily auto-attack or stationary stuff.
I dunno, you were saying building melee AoE characters. Not sure what you really want.
Talking more like this: http://youtu.be/P0Zj8-jjcvU?t=11m59s

The genius of WW was that it removed collision with you and the enemies, so you would click past the pack, attack everything within, then repeat. It allowed melee to have access to the same level of AoE destruction as ranged.

What I'm looking for is a PoE skill in a similar vein.

The genius of WW was that it removed collision with you and the enemies, so you would click past the pack, attack everything within, then repeat. It allowed melee to have access to the same level of AoE destruction as ranged.

Eh I saw Kripp destroy shit faster than that in PoE with ground slam.
And I personally made ground slam's AoE range cover a third of the screen a while back.

There's like 2-3 dash abilities like leap and whirling blades that can punch through enemies, then like 4 AoE melee attacks like sweep, ground slam, cleave, lightning strike.

Rubius

Passive system doesn't add skills though. I guess I'm looking for more variety in the Strength builds than primarily auto-attack or stationary stuff.

Do not add skills but still allow anybody to grab any talent. If you want to make a melee witch, you can, same way you can make a caster barbarian. And all skills can be used by anybody anyway.

Perkel

Banned

Ethereal Knives is skill which essentially is faster WW with different animation.

BTW some comedy gold drop from shabby jerkin thread in poe forums:

jbuN7H6tDpESjb.jpg

type of bow just makes it even more funny

Righteous Fire works somewhat like this, but you have to build crazy amounts of health regen and fire resistance. There is a build of the week about it but it is a crappy build really.

Eh I saw Kripp destroy shit faster than that in PoE with ground slam.

And I personally made ground slam's AoE range cover a third of the screen a while back.
I dunno, was just hoping there was the mobile murder wagon of WW. I loved that skill.
And frozen orb. =D
Do not add skills but still allow anybody to grab any talent. If you want to make a melee witch, you can, same way you can make a caster barbarian. And all skills can be used by anybody anyway.
I know how the passive tree and skills work, that's not what I was asking about.

I don't want to make a melee witch, I was asking about a specific aspect of the skills.
Righteous Fire works somewhat like this, but you have to build crazy amounts of health regen and fire resistance. There is a build of the week about it but it is a crappy build really.
Holy shit, that build looks boring as hell, lmao. =D

Perkel

Banned
I dunno, was just hoping there was the mobile murder wagon of WW. I loved that skill.
And frozen orb. =D

I know how the passive tree and skills work, that's not what I was asking about.

I don't want to make a melee witch, I was asking about a specific aspect of the skills.

Ethereal knives

Arde5643

Is is possible to create a good shadow build focusing on melee and traps? Or can you really only focus on one element (melee, archery, magic, etc) in this game?

What's the level cap going to be once open beta hits?

edit: thanks for the answers, last time I played I believe it was 60 or 70. Pumped to get some extra nodes!

Credo

I'm sure Yoshichan will go for it. I believe he finished D3 in one 12.5hr sitting .

I'll go for it too, but I know I'll never reach it. Even if I make a good enough build that withstands a few nerfs, I'm afraid burnout will get me if it does truly take something like a year to get a character to 100.

lexi

Banned
Okay, I've been *mildly* curious about this game for a very long time, remaining very cautiously pessimistic... Maybe someone who is familiar with the genre and who has a lot of knowledge about this game can inform me...

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2? Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okay, I've been *mildly* curious about this game for a very long time, remaining very cautiously pessimistic... Maybe someone who is familiar with the genre and who has a lot of knowledge about this game can inform me...

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2? Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.

I would say it is in some respect, but the gem system and the barter economy make it very different in ways. You don't just get spells based on your class. It's all dependent on what gems you get and how you allocate them in your gear, and how you level yourself up on the skill tree (which, like FFX, is shared by all the characters. Each class just starts in a different place).

minty_jpg

It'd be nice if I had he skill to determine if this will run on my crap 2010 hp, but maybe I'll just download it and be disappointed that it didn't run (like when I downloaded D3).

Looks awesome.

Card Boy

Banned

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2?
Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.

Many including myself will probably describe it to you as Diablo 2.5 but thats mostly from a atmospheric and graphics POV. The customization is very deep and i would say it surpasses Diablo 2 in that regard.

Credo

That's what it feels like to me. I played all the games you listed above, and Path of Exile feels more like a successor than any of them.

Luckily for you, the only thing it'll cost you to find out is your time!

lexi

Banned
That's what it feels like to me. I played all the games you listed above, and Path of Exile feels more like a successor than any of them.

Luckily for you, the only thing it'll cost you to find out is your time!

I will check out this open beta. Thanks for all the responses!

I would say it is in some respect, but the gem system and the barter economy make it very different in ways. You don't just get spells based on your class. It's all dependent on what gems you get and how you allocate them in your gear, and how you level yourself up on the skill tree (which, like FFX, is shared by all the characters. Each class just starts in a different place).

This sounds excellent, actually. D2 meddled with this kinda thing but it was more something that really started at endgame.

For people playing Witch or spell caster in general I guess, are you focusing mainly on one element or multiple. I've been trying a fire/lighting one and was using the skill tree builder. Focusing on the two spells seems to require a lot of points I could be using for cast speed or mana/mana regen and defenses in general, so I am just wondering how you guys have been building them and am I putting too much emphasis on spell damage.

Witch Build

Top Bottom