• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Few things are more satisfying than out-DPSing a Samurai as a Machinist

Raising DRK and Sole Survivor seems...kind of mean lol

Yeah I don't know how it didn't get cut.

Things I don't like with the current tanks:

Paladin has way too many actions in comparison to the others. Almost all of them are useful too so you can't really not bind them. While other tanks got their random damage oGCD removed, PLD still has Spirits Within(doesn't even silence anymore so not sure how it's still there) and Circle of Scorn. Mind you I like having stuff to press but it's weird cause they made sure to remove a bunch of stuff from the others and ended up like this. They also have shield swipe, so 3 oGCD damage skills.

Another weird thing is how they removed the stuns from both DRK and WAR, but left it for PLD. While I get that the PLD one is on the GCD making it worse, having to actually swap role abilities for some mechanics, or just accepting you can't stun at all is really annoying imo. Honestly this goes with the other complaint. They should have just kept the oGCD stuns for the other classes. Maybe rework Spirit Within into a stun and remove Shield Bash entirely instead, cut one action, every tank has an oGCD stun, everything's good.

I think they could have kept role actions with class specific effects, specifically Shadow Skin for DRK. So they could have made a special Rampart for WAR too, would look better.

WAR feels really boring to play imo after the reworks, at least at lower levels. I just reached 61 so I'm gonna get the SB skills but before that, it plays like HW PLD, but worse even, since you literally have 0 oGCDs. Looking at it it's just Upheaval in SB skills anyway. You just do your chains, and after you've done a few you can use Fel cleaves, and that's about it. Definitely the slowest paced of the tank, but while before PLD was slow it was also the "easy" tank so that kinda made sense, but WAR isn't the easy tank, PLD still is, WAR is a lot more annoying to play and you really want to stance dance to actually get anything done. Can sit in DPS stance the entire time but it makes it a pain to heal because mitigation isn't good compared to Sword Oath with on demand Sheltrons and innate block.

DRK was pretty fun but god does it get messy at times with the mp going up and down and up and down constantly and trying to figure if you can dark arts+abyssal or if you should just abyssal or if you should do syphon and what not. Main issue really is unlike the WAR system with the easy 10 per hit, consume 20/50 per attack thing, you have to use some weird abstract values like 2400mp and 1320 and 1080(and yes I know those aren't abstract) with your mp bar having the normal regen ticks and the small ticks from blood price and Quietus giving some mp per target hit and so on. It's not visually easy to tell exactly how much ressources you have and how many abilities you can use and plan accordingly. I guess it makes it interesting to some but it was just annoying for me.

So in the end I'm just gonna be using PLD, it's simple, but pretty fun, and is actually more interesting than it used to be. I also love all the utility tools, love putting intervention on people, casting Clemency when shit goes wrong, doing the super wings of awesomeness, giving everyone succor shields for aoes and all that.

I'm an omnicrafter, and from experience you will struggle massively to make HQ items without the cross-class skills, and any *-recipes past level 50 will be completely out of reach.

You're gonna need arguably every crafter but CUL and ARM at 50 and even then there's some rotations/recipes that will need their skills.

WVR, ALC and CRP at 50 are basically mandatory for anything.

At the very least, just do the Ixali daily quests. Slowly get those other crafting jobs up, but at no cost.

Okay, maybe I'll find the time ... someday. Jesus.

Doh level cap is still 50?!
No, but 50 is when you'll get most of the cross class skills you'll need with a couple level 54 exceptions.
Leveling up extra classes in SB feels like more pain than it was before, FATEs give me nothing.
Just spam dungeons while doing FATEs. Take advantage of people farming clusters while you can.
When do creation weapons drop? If I'm not likely doing Savage anytime soon should I wait until weapons drop to spend my creation or go ahead and get chest?
Without Savage the earliest you can get a weapon is three weeks from now not counting this week's cap. As long as you cap every week you can get a chest piece and the weapon by week 7.

Main issue really is unlike the WAR system with the easy 10 per hit, consume 20/50 per attack thing, you have to use some weird abstract values like 2400mp and 1320 and 1080(and yes I know those aren't abstract) with your mp bar having the normal regen ticks and the small ticks from blood price and Quietus giving some mp per target hit and so on. It's not visually easy to tell exactly how much ressources you have and how many abilities you can use and plan accordingly. I guess it makes it interesting to some but it was just annoying for me.

Drives me mad. I also think the blood gauge is kind of underused, but the MP steal effect they added to Quietus was a really nice change. Blood Price/Quietus/Abyssal Drain work together quite nicely now.

Rambling side note: it also kind of feels claustrophobic that the blood gauge caps out at 100 and everything costs 50 considering the way the gauge can jump around, giving you with two possible charges with no room for overflow. It doesn't feel like there's a middle ground, either you build blood up with lots of small bumps or you break TBN's shield/tank a large pack with Blood Price and just explode blood everywhere. I'm not a theorycrafter or a mathemagician or anything, but it just feels like the resource can only be spent in a very restrictive way, while the way in which you accumulate the resource is far looser, and outside of the very satisfying revenge mechanic of TBN->Bloodspiller, it feels awkwardly stop-and-start.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Speaking of me playing Rdm, I just beat the floor 50 boss in potd. Is 28/28 aetherpool good enough for the 51-60 floors?

I got RDM to 51 and want to get it to level 61 so I can spam dungeons with a friend whose leveling pld atm.

I haven't got to bardam's mettle yet in SB but I have a level 70 DRK and have been using my 66 PLD to run through story but turns out one of my friends just told me hope on with his dungeons spams but I'm so atm till I level up rdm to 61.

image.php

I was finally able to save up/win enough MGP to get the Adamantoise mount.

My life is complete, this is the best flying mount bar none. Enjoy the projectile Lalafell vomit due to the constant spinning folks below me!!!

So PotD... didn't realize how easy it is when you're not going as SMN. I've decided to grind NIN up since they cleaned up the job a bit. (Not all these damn buttons to remember). I'll be swapping between MNK and NIN for savage since our FC's NIN stopped playing much and we already have a SAM.

I have some questions on the job though, cause I'm still 41 yet PotD has me 60.

How does Trick Attack work? People are speedrunning so I don't get time to properly adjust my hotbars to get the right comfort. I rarely see it lit to use, and feel that I'm not doing as good as I want, though stuff now dies so fast it doesn't seem to matter, even the boss on floor 60 is down in seconds.

What is a good opener to try when I do get to 60? I assume people meld Crit and DHit on gear or has Skill Speed been improved?

Leunam

How does Trick Attack work? People are speedrunning so I don't get time to properly adjust my hotbars to get the right comfort. I rarely see it lit to use, and feel that I'm not doing as good as I want, though stuff now dies so fast it doesn't seem to matter, even the boss on floor 60 is down in seconds.

What is a good opener to try when I do get to 60? I assume people meld Crit and DHit on gear or has Skill Speed been improved?

Trick Attack is only available when you have Hide active. Just about everything in dungeons will see right through it and your movement is hampered. The one practical way to use it is to use Suiton on any enemy which then allows you to use Trick Attack mid combat. From there, Trick Attack will only proc on an attack from the rear, but everything in POTD is omni directional, so positionals don't matter.

As for the opener, we lost a few things with the expansion. I'm currently leveling it right now but I don't plan on working on a new opener until I hit 70. But this is what I've been doing in the meantime. And this is assuming you have Huton up:

-Suiton
Spinning Edge
-Kassatsu
Gust Slash
-Trick Attack
Shadow Fang
-Fuma Shuriken
Spinning Edge
-Dream Within a Dream
Gust Slash
-Duality
Aeolian Edge
-Mug
Gust Slash
-Jugulate

This is purely temporary until I hit 70. Usually I try and fit a DEX pot in there. I'm sure a lot of that can be reordered to be more efficient.

Trick Attack is avaiable during Hide and for 10 seconds after casting Suiton. Using it in the back makes the target take more damage for 10 seconds.

Realistically you'll only use it after Suiton. Hide is basically just a pre-pull ninjutsu reset.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Just curious, will the SB story line take my Bard from 50 to 60?
No because you need to be Lv.60 to even start the Stormblood Main Story Quests. The new Lv. cap is 70

Village

Star wars I feel has for a while been a influence on FF the series

But storm blood is really wars, i'm playing through the story like damn. Don't tell me your character actually gets the force by the end of this

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
┏┓
┃┃╱╲ in this
┃╱╱╲╲ house
╱╱╭╮╲╲ you don't
▔▏┗┛▕▔ pay my sub
╱▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔╲
╱╱┏┳┓╭╮┏┳┓ ╲╲
▔▏┗┻┛┃┃┗┻┛▕▔

Heartfyre

Ah. I meant heavensward. Doh, getting the expansions mixed up.

Yes. The last original-release Heavensward quest requires you to be Level 60 to accept it, so you'll get there along the way. The patch series MSQ quests are shorter, fewer, and better than ARR's, you'll be glad to know.

Robin64

Ah. I meant heavensward. Doh, getting the expansions mixed up.

There were a couple of points where the MSQ doesn't give quite enough exp needed to hit the next part, but now you also have the Beast Tribe dailies which give superb exp. Make sure to start hitting those up as soon as you can.

Xux

Also, the Gundu and Vath quest retain their exp value at 60 and beyond unlike the Moogle quests if you want an easy 600kish while queuing on top of the 400kish of HW hunts and 1.5Mish of SB hunts.

Gator86

Yes. The last original-release Heavensward quest requires you to be Level 60 to accept it, so you'll get there along the way. The patch series MSQ quests are shorter, fewer, and better than ARR's, you'll be glad to know.

Thank God. I feel like I've been on the ARR post game longer than the actual game itself. Glad to know they really did improve with each release.

Gattsu25

Banned
I thought that at that point in the story, the scions weren't really sure what primals were. They were slowly figuring out that literally anyone could summon one, and it could be based on anything.

Yeah, that's an accurate recollection of that stage in the story.

IvorB

Star wars I feel has for a while been a influence on FF the series

But storm blood is really wars, i'm playing through the story like damn. Don't tell me your character actually gets the force by the end of this

Really? I was getting Game of Thrones more. Where are you seeing the Star Wars out of interest?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does the FC ever get together to run Savage raids?
The lockouts on savage prevent this.

Most people have a set group they run savage with and the game penalizes you if anyone in your run has cleared a floor for the week. So you end up screwing over your group by clearing a savage floor without them.

Edzi

The lockouts on savage prevent this.

Most people have a set group they run savage with and the game penalizes you if anyone in your run has cleared a floor for the week. So you end up screwing over your group by clearing a savage floor without them.

Wait, the game actually locks you out of playing just because you cleared it? Why would they do that? Or do you just mean the loot restrictions?

I'd like to play Savage content at some point, but I don't think I'd want to go through the trouble of actually finding a static group since I don't really play regularly enough to really warrant that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wait, the game actually locks you out of playing just because you cleared it? Why would they do that? Or do you just mean the loot restrictions?

I'd like to play Savage content at some point, but I don't think I'd want to go through the trouble of actually finding a static group since I don't really play regularly enough to really warrant that.
I mean loot restrictions.

There's pf if you just wanna try it without looking for a group.

A friend wants me to get back into the game, but transferred servers since we last played. I think I'm level 35. Is it worthwhile to pay the money to transfer ($18?), or start a new character? Can't remember how long it took to reach that point in the game.

kaze343

Leveling up extra classes in SB feels like more pain than it was before, FATEs give me nothing.

fates are pretty fast exp if you get a party going. at level, the 61 fates give like 130k exp for 2 minutes of work. then boss fates give on the low end 300k, and 600k when bonus exp is applied.

A friend wants me to get back into the game, but transferred servers since we last played. I think I'm level 35. Is it worthwhile to pay the money to transfer ($18?), or start a new character? Can't remember how long it took to reach that point in the game.
Just make a new character, getting to 35 is mostly painless and not worth $18

As I've been leveling WHM I've generally been using Lucid Dreaming when my MP hits around 70% or so and now that I've hit 50 I've been using it before doing any Holy spam. Is that generally how I should be using it?

iammeiam

As I've been leveling WHM I've generally been using Lucid Dreaming when my MP hits around 70% or so and now that I've hit 50 I've been using it before doing any Holy spam. Is that generally how I should be using it?

I'd suggest delaying it until after your first few Holys; Lucid works like Shroud used to, not like Quelling Strikes, meaning if you burn Lucid and then spam Holy you generate full threat and have no way to dump threat if it turns out the tank is struggling to keep up. If you spam Holy and then hit Lucid partway through, you still get the MP regen effect but also get the enmity reduction bonus.

I'd suggest delaying it until after your first few Holys; Lucid works like Shroud used to, not like Quelling Strikes, meaning if you burn Lucid and then spam Holy you generate full threat and have no way to dump threat if it turns out the tank is struggling to keep up. If you spam Holy and then hit Lucid partway through, you still get the MP regen effect but also get the enmity reduction bonus.

Not sure why I forgot about the enmity reduction in this instance considering it's something I bare in mind otherwise, I'll switch to popping it after my first couple of Holys now.

Cheers.
Since I can't really find a static I can commit to I don't have much to do anymore. Think I'l suffer through POTD and level a RDM... have mercy.

I wish you luck in trying to maintain your sanity during that process.

studyguy

It's pretty hard not to read the subreddit and play XIV considering it basically functions like the Killing Ifrit/Alakazam/etc of XI

Landford

Banned
I FUCKING GOT MY ACCOUNT BACK OMG IM IN TEARS.

I barely got to level 20 years ago before heavensward, Do I have to buy the expansion for QOL improvements or I have a bit of content until I get to Heavensward?

Edzi

Is there a place to see apartment openings? I kind of want to buy one in Gridania, but the two housing areas I checked were both full.

Finally got O2S done in a pug and even got a helmet out of it. Was really damn close because our monk died before the second pop up and the thing died after actually casting the enrage -_-

Top Bottom