• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

Whoo! Paperback showed up. I'm brushing up on the rules again right now and am taking it to tonight's game night, along with Skull/Skull&Roses, Takenoko, and Fury of Dracula.

I guess the Tabletop episode for Harbour is up. Can't say that is a game I'm interested in. I looked at the schedule too and I have to wait 20 weeks to be able to see the next episode I am excited for, and that is watching Wil and co play Codenames. The episode after that will be a two-part Eldritch Horror, which I am also jazzed for. This new business model of theirs really really sucks. Good thing I have plenty of their older episodes that I have yet to watch.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You can have a bunch of characters jump in and out since all scenarios scale to the average party level.

You'd have to catch people up on the story and events they missed, and if you have like 6+ swapping in and out then there might be some issues with limited items everyone can purchase from town though.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Over the past year I started getting into board games with friends and family.
These are the games that I have played so far:
Star Wars: Rebellion - Takes a long time to set up and play but it's really fun.
Mansions of Madness (2nd Edition) - This is easily our group's favorite board game, the app makes it so easy for new players to understand what's going on.
Conan - I want to love this game because I think the theme is awesome (I like the Conan universe a lot and the miniatures are amazing) and the combat seems interesting but the confusing rulebook made our first playthrough a bad experience. I heard they made a rulebook 2.0 so I'll have to try the game again eventually.
Letters from Whitechapel - Another favorite of ours, pretty simple rules and easy setup.
Fury of Dracula (3rd Edition) - I've only played one round of this so far and I like it but my group doesn't so we don't bring it out so often. Maybe when it gets closer to Halloween time I'll convince them to play it again.
DOOM - This one is fun to play, the rules take some time to understand but once we understood it the game got very fast paced and enjoyable. The miniatures are finely detailed too.
Secret Hitler - Everybody loves this game and it has the quickest setup time, very easy to understand and everybody has fun.
Dead of Winter: The Long Night - I only played one round of this and enjoyed it, at first the game was starting to bore the group but once more serious stuff started happening it got intense real quick. Maybe this will be another game to bring out during the Halloween season.

Now for the games that I'm getting ready to play:
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Beginner Game - Our group has been wanting to get into RPGs for a while now and we all love Star Wars so I thought this would be a good place to start.
Star Wars: Destiny - I've been wanting to play this card game for a while now and I finally got my hands on a starter box yesterday (Kylo Ren). So far I've watched the video tutorial and I'm really enjoying what I see. I'm going to a pre-release event this weekend for the Spirit of Rebellion booster pack so I'll be able to get some playtime in with this game.

EYEL1NER

Tonight we played Takenoko and Fury of Dracula. Takenoko was a hit, which I was fairly confident of after everyone liked Tokaido when we played it two weeks ago. One thing a player said which stuck with me was that the game felt really relaxed and chill like Tokaido did and that it didn't feel like there was a lot of pressure in the game. The theme and components were well-liked also.

Fury of Dracula went over well but I screwed up twice and cost myself the game. I had evaded the hunters as Dracula for a week and a half without them finding me specifically. They did narrow down a port I left Eastern Europe from once they decided I might be over there, and had a general idea of where I could possibly turn up at. I Wolf Formed out of the sea into Munich and figured I would head up north and then head back down to where I started in Zagreb, because the consensus was that I was going west. So first I did go west to Strassberg, but that is connected to Munich by rail. I actually realized the mistake during the next day turn and revealed it to the group, took my five damage, and cleared the trail. On that night, I was at 13 damage and figured "Okay, I'll quickly hit up Dracula's Castle, then heal with Feed, and be back down in my starting area ready to hit the sea and essentially retrace my entire route before they can catch up." What did I do though? Use Wolf Form (which I had regained when I made my mistake and subsequently cleared the trail) to go to Verona by way of Munich. The same exact route between Munich and my current location that I made a mistake on the last turn with!!! I didn't even realize it but then it hit me. I checked the Wolf Form card reference and sure enough the cities have to be connected by road, so I announced my mistake and died. Oops. The group was almost ready to call it at that point though, other people were tired. So it was good timing, but I wasn't trying to throw the game. Oh well... Maybe I can blame the wine.
I hope people want to play it soon though. I think everyone liked it, despite some people feeling like combat fell flat for them. They fought a Vampire minion a couple times who ended up killing Mina Harker once, but I was able to land almost all my combat cards, without them being able to cancel any. I was guessing well and they weren't, but they felt like combat was in my favor.

One slight bummer though: I took my copy of Skull rather than either copy of Skull and Roses I have. I opened it up at the beginning of the night to show off the components and then set it aside for the night. At the end of the night I opened it up to show someone else the cards and couldn't find the rulebook. I entertained the thought that maybe it was in my garage where I dug it out from, but someone said "No, I saw you take it out of the box earlier, it was there." I looked around but couldn't find it. I even checked in my other game boxes and the copy of Terraforming Mars that was set up on the table when I arrived to see if it got mistakenly packed away, but nope. No clue where it went. I don't particularly need the rules; I've got Skull and Roses Black AND Red, plus I have the rules on my iPad. I'd still like to find the rules though, since the game is OOP.

Lupercal

Banned
I hope people want to play it soon though. I think everyone liked it, despite some people feeling like combat fell flat for them. They fought a Vampire minion a couple times who ended up killing Mina Harker once, but I was able to land almost all my combat cards, without them being able to cancel any. I was guessing well and they weren't, but they felt like combat was in my favor.

Combat is generally in your favor if it's 1v1.
As soon as they start to outnumber you, Dracula is pretty screwed.
You can only attack one investigator and the other 2 get free shots.

Did you use any Lairs?

EYEL1NER

Combat is generally in your favor if it's 1v1.
As soon as they start to outnumber you, Dracula is pretty screwed.
You can only attack one investigator and the other 2 get free shots.

Did you use any Lairs?
No lairs. I also said at the beginning that I would not use the "Misdirect" power, and that I had read that starting in England was a bad choice, which they took as me saying "I won't start in England" (but I wasn't going to start there anyway). I thought about using Lairs but I went so long without being discovered that I thought I wouldn't need to. "Misdirect" seems like a power that is hard for players to gronk at times, so I figured it was better to leave it out. Another player had spent some of the day reading the rules and printing off player aides and he said that everything he had read made him think it was best for me to not use it for our first game, and he was saying that as himself and not as a player trying to help his team.

emag

We brought Food Chain Magnate to the table again on Monday, including the bank reserve this time, for a closer game than last. This time board position and discounts really came into play, particularly during the final round price war, but as before, getting a round or two of marketing, production, and luxury sales in while the other players were still building engines really worked in the winner's favor.

Still took about two hours with four players ($700 reserve). I guess my fears about running near the 240 minute mark were unfounded. However, our next game will likely run longer, as one player has convinced us to see how the game plays without milestones.

I've heard the same, though I just own Imperial. However, is it true the rules differences are minor and you can just use Imperial's rules in 2030?

In any case, 2030 has the advantage of being a global map, which kinda gives it that Risk look (but it's way better and no bullshit dice rolls)

You can't use one game's rules with the other without significant additional modifications. I prefer base Imperial to 2030 as the board is much tighter (both in terms of connectivity and in the number of neutral territories), nations have more glaring strengths and weaknesses (Germany without allies has no chance, but with Austria or Russia can dominate; India without allies can do okay, but isn't amazing even with China or Russia), taxation income requires growth (in 2030, tax bonuses are smaller but consistent; sniping a country before taxation isn't as big of deal), and the endgame is much faster (in 2030, skipping spaces on the rondel costs a lot more near game-end), making it a meaner game overall. 2030 feels more "fair" and friendly by comparison.

That said, both Imperial games are excellent and are not more different from one another than some Power Grid maps are. Just remember to play with the advanced setup (selected, not random, bonds) and at least try the no-investor-card variant (provided in the rulebooks).

fenners

We brought Food Chain Magnate to the table again on Monday, including the bank reserve this time, for a closer game than last. This time board position and discounts really came into play, particularly during the final round price war, but as before, getting a round or two of marketing, production, and luxury sales in while the other players were still building engines really worked in the winner's favor.

Still took about two hours with four players ($700 reserve). I guess my fears about running near the 240 minute mark were unfounded. However, our next game will likely run longer, as one player has convinced us to see how the game plays without milestones.

Don't do it. Please, you'll kill the game. Without the milestones, it'll take a ridiculously long time to build up the engine and the engines won't be different enough to have an impact - one person will grab the top marketing role, one person will grab the extra drinks, another the extra food. You'll kill your enjoyment I suspect.

Lupercal

Banned
No lairs. I also said at the beginning that I would not use the "Misdirect" power, and that I had read that starting in England was a bad choice, which they took as me saying "I won't start in England" (but I wasn't going to start there anyway). I thought about using Lairs but I went so long without being discovered that I thought I wouldn't need to. "Misdirect" seems like a power that is hard for players to gronk at times, so I figured it was better to leave it out. Another player had spent some of the day reading the rules and printing off player aides and he said that everything he had read made him think it was best for me to not use it for our first game, and he was saying that as himself and not as a player trying to help his team.

Yeah Lairs can be a bit tricky in the beginning since the other team will wonder what you're doing.

Misdirect is a great power but it's indeed hard for other players but what the other team should be doing is really push with the one investigator which can search an entire area at once and work down from there.

England is a death sentence since you'll get caught easily if you end up traveling by sea.

emag

Don't do it. Please, you'll kill the game. Without the milestones, it'll take a ridiculously long time to build up the engine and the engines won't be different enough to have an impact - one person will grab the top marketing role, one person will grab the extra drinks, another the extra food. You'll kill your enjoyment I suspect.

There's only so long I can argue against house rules in general and in specific. We'll have a boring play (which hopefully will be cut short), I'll say, "I told you so" (but not quite so bluntly), and we'll stick to the rules as written in the future. Best case scenario is that we learn something more about FCM's structure as well.

I'm with you here. The milestones make the game 100%.

Lyng

Over the past year I started getting into board games with friends and family.
These are the games that I have played so far:
Star Wars: Rebellion - Takes a long time to set up and play but it's really fun.
Mansions of Madness (2nd Edition) - This is easily our group's favorite board game, the app makes it so easy for new players to understand what's going on.
Conan - I want to love this game because I think the theme is awesome (I like the Conan universe a lot and the miniatures are amazing) and the combat seems interesting but the confusing rulebook made our first playthrough a bad experience. I heard they made a rulebook 2.0 so I'll have to try the game again eventually.
Letters from Whitechapel - Another favorite of ours, pretty simple rules and easy setup.
Fury of Dracula (3rd Edition) - I've only played one round of this so far and I like it but my group doesn't so we don't bring it out so often. Maybe when it gets closer to Halloween time I'll convince them to play it again.
DOOM - This one is fun to play, the rules take some time to understand but once we understood it the game got very fast paced and enjoyable. The miniatures are finely detailed too.
Secret Hitler - Everybody loves this game and it has the quickest setup time, very easy to understand and everybody has fun.
Dead of Winter: The Long Night - I only played one round of this and enjoyed it, at first the game was starting to bore the group but once more serious stuff started happening it got intense real quick. Maybe this will be another game to bring out during the Halloween season.

Now for the games that I'm getting ready to play:
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Beginner Game - Our group has been wanting to get into RPGs for a while now and we all love Star Wars so I thought this would be a good place to start.
Star Wars: Destiny - I've been wanting to play this card game for a while now and I finally got my hands on a starter box yesterday (Kylo Ren). So far I've watched the video tutorial and I'm really enjoying what I see. I'm going to a pre-release event this weekend for the Spirit of Rebellion booster pack so I'll be able to get some playtime in with this game.

Welcome to the addiction ;)

fenners

There's only so long I can argue against house rules in general and in specific. We'll have a boring play (which hopefully will be cut short), I'll say, "I told you so" (but not quite so bluntly), and we'll stick to the rules as written in the future. Best case scenario is that we learn something more about FCM's structure as well.

Hopefully. I don't know your group, but I hope a bad experience doesn't sour them on the proper game.

Lyng

Haha yeah it's starting to become one, I also play a lot of new video games too so my wallet takes a beating almost every week.

I know the feeling. But getting a child is a great way to make sure there isnt time for both :b. So right now I only really play board games. Its such a great way for my wife and I to unwind after a long day. :)

Neverfade

I've felt 2017 has been pretty ho hum so I've been spending more time with video games and less with boardgames thus far (perhaps my lack of activity here gave it away)...

But I finally looked at Gloomhaven for the first time and what the fuck. Why didn't ya'll tell me? Now I gotta wait and.. sigh... kickstart a second print?

I don't want to wait!

Kitbash

It's funny to see the Gloomhaven talk shifting to the impending Kickstarter and second printing. Some of us are still waiting for copies from the first printing!

A small portion of the first batch has been inching its way across the ocean and will finally be arriving at Australian distributors early next week. Both of the Aussie retailers I've pre-ordered with have assured me they'll be getting enough copies, but after having two North American pre-orders fall through already..... Who knows.

Keasar

Finally received a copy of Terraforming Mars! Had a order put down last year for it, took a while for the reprints to come out. :p

I've felt 2017 has been pretty ho hum so I've been spending more time with video games and less with boardgames thus far (perhaps my lack of activity here gave it away)...

But I finally looked at Gloomhaven for the first time and what the fuck. Why didn't ya'll tell me? Now I gotta wait and.. sigh... kickstart a second print?

I don't want to wait!

Have you seen Kingdom Death Monster as well? That's another epic campaign style game which you might be interested in. It's not a dungeon crawler, but is more of a boss fight game.

Sadly their second Kickstarter recently closed so it may be too late if you didn't already hop on the train, but you should be able to find a copy at the end of the year assuming it doesn't sell out again.

XShagrath

Sounds like the second kickstarter for Gloomhaven will be more expensive than the original.
It pretty much has to be. I'm not sure if he made much on the first one. There's soooo much content in that box for the $80 or whatever it sold at retail for that first batch.

fenners

It pretty much has to be. I'm not sure if he made much on the first one. There's soooo much content in that box for the $80 or whatever it sold at retail for that first batch.

Agreed. A friend kickstarted it (he KS everything dungeon crawling related) & it's ridiculously good value - far too much value. It's obvious that the developer didn't do the normal printing cost/balance for a game. The aftermarket prices show how much people are willing to pay, to a degree - I don't know what he's aiming for, but $120? $130? That'll sell a bunch.

Well, I'm in the airport waiting for my plane back to the US. The guy I stayed with, a British guy, former roommate, into geeky stuff like video games, blu rays, action figures, etc.. I was telling him about how I'm into playing board games now and I think he'd really like them, and he expressed interest.

So I need a gateway game he can play without me and still get into it. He won't have a lot of people to play with, so maybe two player games would be especially good. He wants me to make a list to get him started. Thematically he said he'd like something that feels like Indiana Jones. I know he's into 80s movies and games in general too.

But anyway, these games need to be easy enough for say, him and his girlfriend or one other guy, who are also new to board games, could read the instructions and get into it.

Right now I'm thinking Lost Cities is a good starter. It plays great, it's cheap, and it has the right theme. I also want to recommend Biblios, as it's fun, relatively easy to understand, and you can play it in a short amount of time.

Any other ideas? I'd like to also recommend Camel Up, as I had a blast playing that as a beginner, and Escape the Curse of the Temple.

If you guys have any recommendations for him, do let me know. Again, ideally these are gateway games two guys new to board games could pick up, figure out, and have fun, without someone there to introduce it to them.

Thanks!

Blizzard

Banned
I think they're also doing nicer HP/XP markers which might add to the price.

I kind of wish they could consolidate all the attack modifier cards into a single deck instead of giving every character its own set. That might lower the cost and weight. However, maybe all those decks are different enough that it's necessary.

Well, I'm in the airport waiting for my plane back to the US. The guy I stayed with, a British guy, former roommate, into geeky stuff like video games, blu rays, action figures, etc.. I was telling him about how I'm into playing board games now and I think he'd really like them, and he expressed interest.

So I need a gateway game he can play without me and still get into it. He won't have a lot of people to play with, so maybe two player games would be especially good. He wants me to make a list to get him started. Thematically he said he'd like something that feels like Indiana Jones. I know he's into 80s movies and games in general too.

But anyway, these games need to be easy enough for say, him and his girlfriend or one other guy, who are also new to board games, could read the instructions and get into it.

Right now I'm thinking Lost Cities is a good starter. It plays great, it's cheap, and it has the right theme. I also want to recommend Biblios, as it's fun, relatively easy to understand, and you can play it in a short amount of time.

Any other ideas? I'd like to also recommend Camel Up, as I had a blast playing that as a beginner, and Escape the Curse of the Temple.

If you guys have any recommendations for him, do let me know. Again, ideally these are gateway games two guys new to board games could pick up, figure out, and have fun, without someone there to introduce it to them.

Thanks!
You might check out Forbidden Island. I'm not sure if the rules will be too intimidating, but it's an Indiana Jones -ish island escape cooperative game.

Thanks!

In addition to Forbidden Island, good gateway games include Catan, Splendor, Carcassonne, Machi Koro (with variant rules if only base game or Harbor Expansion), Love Letter, all games by Oink Games, Ticket to Ride, and 7 Wonders. Forbidden Island is closest to Indiana Jones thematically, but everything else is still a lot of fun.

Be sure to direct him to the Watch It Played or Rahdo Runs Thru Youtube channels, both are a good way to learn the rules. Also Shut Up & Sit Down.

Blizzard

Banned
Of those games, I'd only specifically advise against Machi Koro.

Catan can be annoying but as a basic gateway people some people like it. But Machi Koro is actively annoying and can take a long time due to luck of the dice and early money-stealing cards. This is the case even with the variant / expansions.

It's also a game where players can spend turns doing essentially nothing ("I roll the die/dice. I can't buy anything. Your turn.") which gets really old to me.

Lupercal

Banned
Have you seen Kingdom Death Monster as well? That's another epic campaign style game which you might be interested in. It's not a dungeon crawler, but is more of a boss fight game.

Sadly their second Kickstarter recently closed so it may be too late if you didn't already hop on the train, but you should be able to find a copy at the end of the year assuming it doesn't sell out again.

But that's like 5x the price though.
Gloomhaven is a pretty good bang for your buck even though it's steep.

EYEL1NER

My copy of Merchants & Marauders and the Seas of Glory expansion arrived. I looked through the rules for the game and expansion and Wow! I cannot wait to play it. There are so many ways to earn Glory Points, so many different modules to add to the game, and a couple official variants that look like they can alter the way the game is played if I feel like it plays too slow. This is looking like it will be a very good game.
Right now I'm just trying to hold off from buying anything to pimp the game out with, like fake doubloons for the currency.

In other news: the quality of the cards in Paperback seems to be a bit poor. Sleeves are going to be a must.
One of the guys from my game group uses KMC Hyper Mats and I think I'll give those a try, rather than using Ultra Pro mattes like I usually do.

Mr E.

My copy of Merchants & Marauders and the Seas of Glory expansion arrived. I looked through the rules for the game and expansion and Wow! I cannot wait to play it. There are so many ways to earn Glory Points, so many different modules to add to the game, and a couple official variants that look like they can alter the way the game is played if I feel like it plays too slow. This is looking like it will be a very good game.
Right now I'm just trying to hold off from buying anything to pimp the game out with, like fake doubloons for the currency.

Fantastic game. Painting the Ships is a good pimp because you can get rid of the Surf board type markers they sit on.

Throw in the contraband module from the off too and the golden galleon. Extra missions as well. Throw it all in lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Went to a 20-person tournament and Destiny pre-release event. Was a ton of fun since it was five rounds and came down to me vs. my friend for the win the last round. Looks like Spirit of Rebellion is really gonna shake things up which is sort of too bad because I really like this meta right now. Vader/Raider is a little overpowered imo but there's really room for a pretty wide variety of decks. The new cards kind of scare me with their power levels. Especially the ones that further enable Vader. Man am I sick of that guy.

Also friend picked up Clank! with store credit won and quite enjoyed trying that out. Probably best w/ 3, and it's a touch fiddly with like four currencies technically, but I can see why people are into it. Looking forward to trying out Pandemic: Iberia with some friends tomorrow finally. In other news, Arkham LCG continues to be amazing but I'm waiting on the Essex pack still, and just going to do Team Covenant subscription going forward because our group is really into it so having to wait extra weeks for a pack is really annoying.

Lyng

Looking forward to trying out Pandemic: Iberia with some friends tomorrow finally.

Make sure to tell us what you think :) my wife doesn't really enjoy regular pandemic due to how generic it is. And I am wondering if Iberia adds some flavour

So I pulled the trigger and my copy of battlecon devastation of indines came in

What

The

Fuck

Is this a board/card game or an almanac this thing is massive with so much content I don't even know where to start. Thankfully the game understands this and has cards and content in numbered containers so you learn the various modes and characters piece by piece.

elyetis

What

The

Fuck

Is this a board/card game or an almanac this thing is massive with so much content I don't even know where to start. Thankfully the game understands this and has cards and content in numbered containers so you learn the various modes and characters piece by piece.
Yeah that game come with a crazy amount of content.
Love the game, I just don't have many opportunity to play it.

Keasar

What

The

Fuck

It is by far Level99's craziest creation in terms of value for the money spent. Start slow with a practice round using the beginner characters and you should be on your way. If lacking a second player, can always try to do the dungeon mode in solo which uses the exact same system of combat.

Yeah that game come with a crazy amount of content.
Love the game, I just don't have many opportunity to play it.

It is by far Level99's craziest creation in terms of value for the money spent. Start slow with a practice round using the beginner characters and you should be on your way. If lacking a second player, can always try to do the dungeon mode in solo which uses the exact same system of combat.

My big question right now is how do I organize this game in the box? I get putting the character's signature cards in their little folder thing, and likely putting said folder and tokens in a bag. Wish there was a little folder thing for the generic action cards.

Blizzard

Banned
My big question right now is how do I organize this game in the box? I get putting the character's signature cards in their little folder thing, and likely putting said folder and tokens in a bag. Wish there was a little folder thing for the generic action cards.
I did a kind of ugly solution but it worked well -- get a pack of the short 6-inch or so business envelopes. Then for each character, put every related card and token in that envelope.

Sort the envelope sections by skill level or whatever so you can easily pull out the ones you need. You can use extra envelopes for bosses or whatever else.

Good luck finding people to play consistently with though. I won the first couple of games and felt my girlfriend had a bad character matchup, so I've never played again. Trying to get people to learn the rules AND play enough games where the strength of the design comes through is difficult. You can't really have a good game unless both players know their opponent's decks well, kind of like a MOBA.

I went to a pre-release of Star Wars Destiny's Spirit of Rebellion expansion yesterday and it was a fun time. I got 3 boosters that gave me some good cards and got to duel some people, sadly I got beat both times due to my lack of experience and mediocre deck but I had fun nonetheless. I'm thinking Star Wars Destiny is going to be my go-to card game, now I just need to get some friends into it.

And now that I'm on this Star Wars binge I also ordered some inserts for Star Wars Rebellion since I want to play that game more and not have to deal with the pain of setting it up.

Lyng

Good luck finding people to play consistently with though. I won the first couple of games and felt my girlfriend had a bad character matchup, so I've never played again. Trying to get people to learn the rules AND play enough games where the strength of the design comes through is difficult. You can't really have a good game unless both players know their opponent's decks well, kind of like a MOBA.

Yup exactly what happened for me as well. My wife doesn't mind deep or even complex games (she loves Pax Porfiriana), but battlecon was a major let down.
The game is ambitious and deep but it was way to boring for her. We gave it a few plays and then sold it.
There is a good game down there, it's just buried too deep.
And that's generally my issue with L99. The games are somewhat simple to play, yet for some reason beasts to teach and on the surface level they are boring as hell. I feel you need too many games and too much time investment before they start showing their true face.
No doubt battle on is a great game though. Just not for my wife or me.

elyetis

I went with this :
1491216739-20170403-124708.jpg
Well it does look ugly as hell in the box :
Sure very ugly but having the charater's cards with their respective token is really helpfull.

The real objective would be :
Still hoping lvl99 doesn't completely drop the idea of selling a big box for battlecon, it seems like they did and only want to share ( for free ) printable tuckbox. It's nice and all but it would either mean some pretty poor quality of done by ourselve with bad a printer, or end up crazy expensive with some print-on-demand solution.

I went with this :

Well it does look ugly as hell in the box :

Sure very ugly but having the charater's cards with their respective token is really helpfull.

The real objective would be :

Still hoping lvl99 doesn't completely drop the idea of selling a big box for battlecon, it seems like they did and only want to share ( for free ) printable tuckbox. It's nice and all but it would either mean some pretty poor quality of done by ourselve with bad a printer, or end up crazy expensive with some print-on-demand solution.

What you did is basically what I plan to do. Same thing I did with Pixel Tactics and its vomit of tokens. The criticisms of level 99 games I totally get, but thats why I love them so much :X

chifanpoe

Yup exactly what happened for me as well. My wife doesn't mind deep or even complex games (she loves Pax Porfiriana), but battlecon was a major let down.
The game is ambitious and deep but it was way to boring for her. We gave it a few plays and then sold it.
There is a good game down there, it's just buried too deep.
And that's generally my issue with L99. The games are somewhat simple to play, yet for some reason beasts to teach and on the surface level they are boring as hell. I feel you need too many games and too much time investment before they start showing their true face.
No doubt battle on is a great game though. Just not for my wife or me.

That is the reason why I stayed away. I read 5-6 other peoples feed back all saying the same thing on BGG. Looks fun though.

My LV99 games are Pixel Tactics and Millennium Blades, both play well with my kids and I can solo MB. Once I picked up the Meeple Reality MB organizer it made setup and tear down so much easier. The amount of content LV99 offers for its games is just staggering.

chifanpoe

What you did is basically what I plan to do. Same thing I did with Pixel Tactics and its vomit of tokens. The criticisms of level 99 games I totally get, but thats why I love them so much :X

No kidding! Thankfully LV99 brought out Pixel Tactics Deluxe big box. It certainly helps with that mess ;)

Xater

Finally ordered Roll for the Galaxy and Mysterium. Maybe I can at least get one of them to the table this week. Depends on when they arrive.

Flamme Rouge is still sold out everywhere sadly. I really want to pick that up as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Make sure to tell us what you think :) my wife doesn't really enjoy regular pandemic due to how generic it is. And I am wondering if Iberia adds some flavour

So quick report on Iberia -- we played it with a couple of semi-gaming friends and then just my wife and I. In terms of flavour, I'm not sure. I think if you want flavor it's probably more Legacy you're looking at because even though the theme in this is pretty novel, I find it even drier than base Pandemic. My wife and I are big into Pandemic, and we loved it. It just straight-up adds a couple layers of complexity and choices on top of base, which is great because base base is too dry mechanically, and the expansions are cool but a bit more gimmicky than this game where the additional mechanics just fit really well overall. The caveat I would have is not to play this with casual players if they've never played Pandemic. We made that mistake and I think the game kind of wound up overwhelming the people we were playing with -- not rules-wise, but just in terms of strategy, which is a real issue in a game that generates alpha-gamer issues as much as Pandemic can. This is a minor and probably irrelevant point, but in this game they "require" you to play open handed, which is the opposite of base Pandemic, so rather than tamping down alpha-gamer, they just went all in on it.

Gurrry

Went to 2 SW Destiny prerelease events this weekend. Got 10 packs total (4 from 1, 6 from the other because my girlfriend came with me).

Ended up getting 3 legendaries in total: Krennic, and TWO Rocketlaunchers.

Hoping I can trade Krennic for a Chewbacca, but I might wait until I get my box of SOR first.

Other notable pulls: Mon Mothma, Unkarr Plutt, Rebel Commando, 2 Interrogation Droids, Vibroknucles, and Lightsaber Pike.

Top Bottom