• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Moonkid

Damn, Izuna - is that a photographic how-to for wrapping Korean BBQ? Respect to the place lol. The piece of lettuce looks like it should be flipped around though for optimal wrappage.

edit: Also, eating it that way is most definitely a thing in Korean BBQ. Doesn't mean you have to do it but my family at least always insisted I do. I'd just keep stuffing my mouth with food when I was younger so I achieved the same thing anyway ;P
It was word for word 'So, do you know which teas are good for sex?' while I was browsing the Asian teas at the grocery store.
Read your later posts, dude sounds like a real asshole. Sucks you had to go through that.

SRG01

Thanks guys.

At the end of the day, all I can do is just shrug it off and move on. It's not the first and it certainly won't be the last time I'll experience something like this.

Goofalo

I'm not sure about the name aspecrt since I no nothing about that, but she could just be a mix the an odd combination of genes? I'm not sure what the deal is that you need to rat her out or whatever though.

If she has a Korean passport, then... isn't she likely ethnically Korean but trying to deny she's Korean for whatever reason? Or are you saying she's a Japanese who's got Korean citizenship yet steadfastly maintains she's Japanese? That seems a lot less likely to me. Maybe her family moved to Korea when it was a Japanese colony but even then, I thought they retained Japanese citizenship...

That's weird, most Korean barbecue places in Australia give you the lettuce to put rice and meat in. I thought that was just an optional thing you could do if you wanted. Is that not a thing?

No, didn't want to rat her out. It was just really weird. Like, in my gut, something felt super off. It was like, and itch in my brain. I did talk to my friend about it though tongiht. She is a white girl, ethnically. I don't know what to say about that. It's a new one, for sure.

The Japanese ex, is ethnically Korean. She says she is ethnically pure Japanese.

Ethnic Koreans born in Japan, don't get Japanese citizenship. They are considered "special permanent residents." They lost Japanese citizenship as a result of the San Francisco Peace Treaty, which ended Allied occupation of Japan. The have a registered "alias" which is their legal name, in Japanese, but they keep track of their Korean names. Used to be you chose between the DPRK and the ROK, but in the 60's, Japan recognized the ROK at the official government and you can't do that anymore. Birthright citizenship isn't common in Asia.

StMeph

Hi. Anyone familiar with Sugar Land, Texas? Good place to live?

Houston's a pretty diverse city, but expect that you'll need to drive anywhere you want to go. Traffic still exists during rush hour, so you'll still want to keep commute in mind relative to where you're going to be working.

Assuming you're choosing Sugar Land for its schools and population, you'll want to mostly look around Clements High, as it's the best in FBISD. The two middle schools (First Colony, Fort Settlement) that go to Clements are both about the same, and any of the elementary schools are okay (Colony Bend, Colony Meadows, Commonwealth). The area itself is ~40% Asian, and pretty evenly split between east and south Asians. It's basically your usual quiet upper-middle class suburb filled with chain restaurants and dead by 9 PM.

Coming from SoCal, all housing will seem cheap and spacious, but keep in mind that the grass there grows, and so lawns do actually need maintenance. Most hire Mexicans to do it once or twice a week, as needed; I think my parents were paying ~$1000 annually for it. It's a master-planned community, so HOA can be pretty severe. Texas has no state income tax, but counties have much higher property taxes instead (3-5%), and unlike California, where the taxes are based on your original purchase price, property taxes in Texas increase as it's adjusted annually to match the estimated market value of the home.

Most of the community was built in the 1980s, but there are a couple of newer developments added later: Avalon (late 1990s), and Telfair (late 2000s). You can get a house there for about $200-300k, something pretty nice for $300-400k, and some outstanding homes for $500-600k. Anything above $600k in Texas will get you a ridiculous house.

Katy is another big suburb to the west of Houston that's been blowing up as well, and it seems to be where more younger families are moving to now, but -- in my opinion -- it's more remote than Sugar Land and still in development, so the crowding is only going to get worse.

Feel free to PM or email if you want to talk about it in more detail.

Edit: added Commonwealth, knew I forgot one of them

Ah, thanks!

Nothing's solid yet, but there's a company in Houston that might want to talk to me, and I'm supposed to let the recruiter know tomorrow if I'd consider relocation.

From cursory, online research, Sugar Land seems like it would be the best fit for us.

We could be neighbors.

Zoe

My ex is from Sugarland. I'm not usually one to shit on suburbs, but requiring all chain stores and restaurants to look alike was a bit too Stepford Wives for me.

Do AsAms with a valley girl accent exist?

(ofc they do but I am asking for a YouTube channel)

Yes, my cousin who was actually born in rural NorCal somehow developed a Valley Girl accent. It lessened once she actually moved to SoCal though for some reason. She also works online media and is a yoga instructor and vegetarian though, so she is a strange mix of stereotypes.

StMeph

There's a 99 Ranch Market there, and a competing Asian supermarket usually opens and folds, as the town just isn't big enough to sustain two Chinese grocers, so it keeps alternating between one and two. No Korean or Japanese groceries (in Sugar Land, you'll find them in Houston), and one small Indian market. Restaurants are pretty limited to mostly chains. Expect to go into Houston if you want anything decent.

For food, all Asian food is going to take a major step back from the offerings here. Chinese/Taiwanese, Japanese, and Korean food all are going to be noticeably worse. In exchange, you get Tex-Mex/Mexican and barbecue. There's also no real fine dining scene in Houston, and the higher-end offerings are weaker than LA's, which are themselves weaker than NYC's.

Speaking more broadly of Houston as a whole, the city has very few zoning laws, so it ends up being kind of jumbled and disorganized. Hurricanes are an annual seasonal thing, though one doesn't hit directly that often. Galveston is a pretty miserable beach; there are no nice beaches in Texas.

My ex is from Sugarland. I'm not usually one to shit on suburbs, but requiring all chain stores and restaurants to look alike was a bit too Stepford Wives for me.

This is definitely a thing in Sugar Land.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, my cousin who was actually born in rural NorCal somehow developed a Valley Girl accent. It lessened once she actually moved to SoCal though for some reason. She also works online media and is a yoga instructor and vegetarian though, so she is a strange mix of stereotypes.

hqdefault.jpg

I've never actually seen it but I was thinking about how the juxtaposition of stereotypes would blow my mind.

Goofalo

Do AsAms with a valley girl accent exist?

(ofc they do but I am asking for a YouTube channel)

Yes, They are from the Valley. I was engaged to one, for a while. Its really...hard to get used to. I can't imagine the flack she got from coworkers or fellow students for it.

hirokazu

Ethnic Koreans born in Japan, don't get Japanese citizenship. They are considered "special permanent residents." They lost Japanese citizenship as a result of the San Francisco Peace Treaty, which ended Allied occupation of Japan. The have a registered "alias" which is their legal name, in Japanese, but they keep track of their Korean names. Used to be you chose between the DPRK and the ROK, but in the 60's, Japan recognized the ROK at the official government and you can't do that anymore. Birthright citizenship isn't common in Asia.
Yeah, if she's a permanent resident of Japan, it sounds to me like she wants to keep that information private because some people can be real bigots about it there. She might've experienced some of that bigotry in the past.

Quick

Banned
Just finished watching this Huang's World episode featuring Toronto. Thought it might be of interest to you guys with exploring Toronto's diverse cuisines and Canada's history, especially with immigration.

On a food level, I'm legit curious about trying Mongolian food now. I've probably passed by the Sri Lankan grocery store they feature (Spiceland) countless times but never thought to go in. I might just hit it up now.

Goofalo

Yeah, if she's a permanent resident of Japan, it sounds to me like she wants to keep that information private because some people can be real bigots about it there. She might've experienced some of that bigotry in the past.

I guess I understand why she hid it. To her bf, she was Japanese, and maybe he would have felt it was some sort of betrayal. I certainly wouldn't judge her if she said she was Korean, being Korean myself. I know some celebrities in Japan have been open with their Korean heritage, but, that is also the privilege of celebrity.

TBH that sounds like a really normal mix of stereotypes o_O

Oh, well I mentioned that she was born in rural NorCal, but really didn't touch upon it much. Let's just say that her childhood had guns and farmland and the closest Target (the pinnacle of civilization) was a a good 30 minutes away. Which is why it surprised me when she developed the valley girl accent and adopted a SoCal lifestyle.

Maybe she always knew she belonged down here in the land of Veggie Grills and yoga studios.

You know, that sounds really normal, probably precisely because she was born and raised in a rural area. I imagine you either embrace that stereotype or you totally reject it. Some of the biggest "valley girls" I know are basically overcompensating for something else totally opposite.

(This isn't a girl thing, I see dudes do this too.)

I was always just confused about where she learned about that stereotype. She's too young for Clueless, but who knows? I actually assumed most Asians would be pulled between the Oreo and FOB stereotypes. College was definitely a confusing time. I think it may hit dudes harder, because the results are cringier.

How many guys here ever rocked a piece of clothing with a dragon on it?

And written by Michael Golamco! He's a friend of a friend who is a super-talented writer and seemed like a nice guy whenever I met him.

zeemumu

Simple. He's their pet Asian.

So, willing to fight for a cause that goes against his own self-interest on the grounds that everything will be fine so long as he sucks up to the white supremacists to get slightly better but still pretty shitty treatment than other minorities?

Being the lone Asian guy in a sea of white supremacists probably isn't good with keeping a low profile. Dude's bound to get recognized by someone.

The logic of this decision is pretty baffling

I thought at first he looked lost and then I watched the videos...... The dude isn't Asian. Simple as that.

I wonder what his family thinks of his actions 🤔

How many guys here ever rocked a piece of clothing with dragonball on it?

Fixed it. I rocked those shitty T-shirts with the prints that wear off after getting washed when I was a kid. Luckily I got a bunch of them in Chinatown since those vendors on the street sold that shit for cheap. It blew my mind later in life finding out how much printed tees cost in an actual store. Walking into Hot Topic or Zumiez and looking at the price tag, kid me would be like, "fuck that, I can get 4 more Dragonball shirts." Then again I don't know anyone who actually shops from those stores.

zeemumu

Fixed it. I rocked those shitty T-shirts with the prints that wear off after getting washed when I was a kid. Luckily I got a bunch of them in Chinatown since those vendors on the street sold that shit for cheap. It blew my mind later in life finding out how much printed tees cost in an actual store. Walking into Hot Topic or Zumiez and looking at the price tag, kid me would be like, "fuck that, I can get 4 more Dragonball shirts." Then again I don't know anyone who actually shops from those stores.

I own a lot of nerdy t-shirts but no Dragonball ones. I have a Dragonball sweater that I'd be able to wear in public without looking stupid but I don't really have need of a sweater right now.

There's a fine line between shirts you can wear anywhere and shirts that you can only wear at a con or as pajamas

This one's okay
nice artwork, subtle design, not too inside

But this one
Artwork's okay but it's too inside, and could easily date itself within a few years.

zeemumu

I did have a Naruto sweater - always wore it inside though lol. I do rock this now:

It's a riff of an album cover.

I have an album cover parody shirt too
It used to throw people off because they'd recognize it as a Daft Punk T-shirt but not be able to place what was off about it. I need a new one. The old one has a lot of wear and tear so I use it as pajamas/workout clothing.

cdyhybrid

It used to throw people off because they'd recognize it as a Daft Punk T-shirt but not be able to place what was off about it. I need a new one. The old one has a lot of wear and tear so I use it as pajamas/workout clothing.
That's a dope shirt

Moonkid

Yeah that's a really cool shirt. Can't say many people have recognised mine either :p

hirokazu

So, willing to fight for a cause that goes against his own self-interest on the grounds that everything will be fine so long as he sucks up to the white supremacists to get slightly better but still pretty shitty treatment than other minorities?
I think the justification that (East) Asian Nazis make is that Hitler had a someone indifferent stance towards Asians and described them as superior to the other races they hated, pointing to their alliance with Japan as an axis power. It's complete dogshit, but it's there.

I have an album cover parody shirt too.
This one's cool. I dig it!

Top Bottom