• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fatlus comics

Mamesj

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Is this the point where I get insecure? Someone tell me, I hate causing awkward social situations.

Chie4.jpg

is this a pic of you? y/n

if y, sup?

in n, ouch

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tain said:
I don't know, man. The more I play games, the more I realize I care about how well a game holds up rather than how accessible it is. When I want opinions on a game, I usually care about opinions of people pretty familiar with the game's genre rather than people who have only played a few games in the genre. If I disagree with someone, I'm probably not going to care about their taste in things as much, I guess. If there's a trend in game design taking off that I feel is ultimately detrimental as a whole, I don't want it to be successful enough to affect future games that I might care about, assuming it isn't already.

I'm not seeing a problem with any of this, assuming reason is king in the end. Is it really that awful?

elitism isn't about having preferences and expressing them cogently and civilly. it's about a sense of entitlement, and that you're somehow above someone else because you hold that opinion.

in other words, the difference between:

i like strategy rpgs better than action rpgs

and

action rpgs are for morons. really, strategy rpgs are the only ones worth acknowledging.

it's not about preference. it's about being a prick or not being a prick. and if you just inherently value the opinions of people who act like pricks more than those who don't, i pity you.

Tain

elitism isn't about having preferences and expressing them cogently and civilly. it's about a sense of entitlement, and that you're somehow above someone else because you hold that opinion.
[...]
it's not about preference. it's about being a prick or not being a prick. and if you just inherently value the opinions of people who act like pricks more than those who don't, i pity you.

There are cases where pricks have expressed their opinions way better and made way stronger arguments than the ones they're being pricks to, and I can't really avoid valuing the prick's opinion more, but being civil makes sense, and valuing someone who isn't civil simply because of it is stupid, yeah.

Now, the problem is when I say that "if you play arcade games and continue often, I'm not listening to your opinions on arcade games because you largely skipped right by all of the challenges that the developers labored over," I'm often considered elitist. And if people consider that elitism, then whatever, I'm all for that sort of elitism. There are a lot of situations like this, too.

andymcc

Banned
Mamesj said:
First of all, it's relative. It doesn't matter if Persona 4 charted on the NPD or not. The game is still selling full price and will probably sell through the U.S. branch's stock through the end of the year, still at full price. This is more than most companies could ask for.

It's not trolling if I'm telling the truth about their status in the game world. Sorry Atlus isn't really a bunch of little anime girls producing SMT games in a basement, like the company would lead you to believe. They sell out of their stock of a lot of games and make profit hand over fist in the U.S. alone. In Japan, they're much huger, like, say, EA in the U.S. But even then, Atlus' presence in Japan extends beyond video games. They haven't been the "little guy" of the industry for quite some time. But it helps them to keep up that image and to beg people for preorders by offering seductive posters of Izuna. It's just annoying that people fetishize their love for the company and misconstrue who they are...

This thread turned into such a wonderful trap.

uh, there's not even a comparison really.

alistairw said:
I was a bit too stoned to be clever when I did that. You can tell, because the composition is crap.

Glad you didn't take it personal.

It's fine. Internet is internet, and Gaf is Gaf. I take most things with a grain of salt. Besides it's not like you quoted me and said "ROFLCOPTERS dumbass Phoenix while he was typing this" above the picture. As I said before I'm not angry about anything, nor have I taken anything personal. I'm just awed to as of how I became the "bad guy" for pointing out why I didn't think the comics were of quality.

andymcc said:
obviously you've never been to shmups forums. :lol

While I think all elitism is BS, I think that the more niche or expense the group is that you go toward the worse it gets. While I dread all elitists and fanboys it's still hard for me to compare the extreme SEGA fanboys and diehard PC gamers (and I'm primarily a PC gamer myself) to anyone.

People get pretty touchy to justify their cost and trouble to fit their tastes or so that they can be out of the majority to feel more "hardcore".

zoukka

It's funny because it's true.

Well I cracked at the Final Faggotry pic. Not because of the lame gay-joke, but because of the image itself. At a quick glance you could almost get fooled it's the real thing ;)

These are great :lol Sure they're not anything new. But I enjoyed them anyway.

I know some people that are in the "if it's not by a Japanese developer then it sucks" group. And not just here on GAF

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
timetokill said:
These are great :lol Sure they're not anything new. But I enjoyed them anyway.

I know some people that are in the "if it's not by a Japanese developer then it sucks" group. And not just here on GAF

And I know plenty of people (in fact, more of them) that are in the "if it's not by a Western developer and has a realistic graphic style and lots of GUNZZZZ then it's kiddie garbage". In fact, I see a ton of people who refuse to play anything with anime graphics in it, on GAF of all places, where you'd think people would be more open to trying different games.

Piano

Banned
1cesc said:
So you need to be high society now to reside above 4chan?
No, but GAF isn't nearly as sophisticated as it likes to think it is.
Pretending you're too sophisticated for 4chan doesn't make it true, guys.

djtiesto said:
And I know plenty of people (in fact, more of them) that are in the "if it's not by a Western developer and has a realistic graphic style and lots of GUNZZZZ then it's kiddie garbage". In fact, I see a ton of people who refuse to play anything with anime graphics in it, on GAF of all places, where you'd think people would be more open to trying different games.

And your point? Both groups are equally annoying.

M.J. Doja

Banned
TheEastonator said:
No, but GAF isn't nearly as sophisticated as it likes to think it is.
Pretending you're too sophisticated for 4chan doesn't make it true, guys.

4chan is a cesspool, thus, youre wrong. :)

Top Bottom