• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
kPBZO32.png

The House in Fata Morgana A Requiem for Innocence is being localized too!

DdyJoik.jpg

Tizoc

Finally out! Gonna grab it on the 19th since I'll be getting half a dozen other games as well @o@

I've been feeling the need for a visual novel lately and this looked super good. But I don't want to spend any more cash this month. =(

I'll have to live vicariously through you guys lol.

Vazra

I've been feeling the need for a visual novel lately and this looked super good. But I don't want to spend any more cash this month. =(

I'll have to live vicariously through you guys lol.

Don't forget it has a 15% til the 20th and you'll want that OST bro.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dammit. I just got Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters for Vita and Steins;Gate for Vita, so I'm well stocked when it comes to VN for a while now. Especially since Zero Escape 3 is so close by now too. I really want to support this game though since the artwork is just beautiful. Think I'll just buy to support it for now and play when I have the time to (probably in Winter).

Don't forget it has a 15% til the 20th and you'll want that OST bro.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol damn. Is the steam key included with a mangagamer purchase of the deluxe edition? I'll have to make a decision after my internal debate this weekend.

Vazra

lol damn. Is the steam key included with a mangagamer purchase of the deluxe edition? I'll have to make a decision after my internal debate this weekend.

Deluxe Edition is up on Steam too now so you can get it from Steam instead. Manga Gamer wont include Steam Keys cause a fraud was happening with the combo they were offering before with games apparently.

EDIT: Let me update the OT since the Deluxe did end up showing up on Steam.

jonjonaug

This art is good yo.

vNKprGi.jpg

No, Mangagamer discontinued this after repeated instances of credit card fraudsters buying games and flipping the Steam keys before the chargeback kicked in. But the Steam version is the same price if you don't want to buy it direct from MG and they have both the regular and deluxe edition.

Lain

Mangagamer doesn't give complimentary steam keys anymore after a bunch of scam chargebacks.

Deluxe Edition is up on Steam too now so you can get it from Steam instead. Manga Gamer wont include Steam Keys cause a fraud was happening with the combo they were offering before with games apparently.

EDIT: Let me update the OT since the Deluxe did end up showing up on Steam.

This art is good yo.

No, Mangagamer discontinued this after repeated instances of credit card fraudsters buying games and flipping the Steam keys before the chargeback kicked in. But the Steam version is the same price if you don't want to buy it direct from MG and they have both the regular and deluxe edition.

Mangagamer doesn't give complimentary steam keys anymore after a bunch of scam chargebacks.

Thanks guys, somehow made the assumption that the deluxe edition was Mangagamer only.

On that note, why do people have to ruin a good thing? Would've loved having a DRM free version to play on one of my weak ultrabooks.

jonjonaug

Thanks guys, somehow made the assumption that the deluxe edition was Mangagamer only.

On that note, why do people have to ruin a good thing? Would've loved having a DRM free version to play on one of my weak ultrabooks.

The Steam version of Mangagamer games is typically DRM free as well. You download it through Steam, but there shouldn't be any copy protection or anything like that. The files for Kindred Spirits were 100% identical, I even ran them through a file compare program to check.

EDIT: Finished the 1603 chapter. Very solid stuff so far.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm definitely curious about the game, but don't know if it's any good yet.

Mangagamer version is DRM-free, right? Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

jonjonaug

I'm definitely curious about the game, but don't know if it's any good yet.

Mangagamer version is DRM-free, right? Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

See post above. Both the Mangagamer version and the Steam version should be DRM free. Mangagamer's games are published DRM free whenever possible. I doubt the Japanese version of the game had any DRM to begin with considering it was a doujin game.

As to quality: I've finished the first of the stories and that was good, and the second one has pretty much instantly hooked me with it's introduction.

Are there any reviews around? I played the demo, and I'm mainly curious whether it improves in the latter parts, and whether the resolutions to the central mysteries (
the identities/nature of the maid, the girl with the white hair and "you" - I swear if "you" are the girl...
) are satisfying.

The chapters in the demo disappointed me. The first starts out decent enough but descends into cliche, in particularly ugly ways near the end. The second has a more intriguing beginning, but its secondary plot is... really bad, and the surreality that makes the initial plot intriguing is revealed to be totally hollow in the end (significant spoiler here -
I was actively happy to see Pauline die, she was completely insufferable and unless she somehow pops up later in the game there's no opportunity for redemption
).

It's too bad, I really wanted to like it - the character art is exceptional and the soundtrack has some real high points. If it turns things around I'm still interested.

Total side note about Pauline's design - she has a cleavage "window" in her dress, but she only has the one body pose with her hands clasped directly over it, so it's pretty much always only barely visible. It's an odd touch, since this game doesn't indulge in overt sex appeal in its character design judging by the characters in the demo at least, and it's made odder by the constant covering of it, which also leaves her hands fixed there at virtually all times. I wonder if she originally had other body poses that left it uncovered, maybe it was decided at the last minute that it wasn't acceptable and so any pose that left it uncovered was cut? Tiny detail, I know, but it struck me as interesting.

jonjonaug

Finished the second and third story.

2nd: Saw it coming once I neared the ending, but man what an ending.

3rd: MAN what an ending.

Walking around the future (?) mansion now. I like the stories within stories within stories this game has going for it, and simply wandering the halls of the mansion is quite intriguing.

Vazra

Finished the second and third story.

2nd: Saw it coming once I neared the ending, but man what an ending.

3rd: MAN what an ending.

Walking around the future (?) mansion now. I like the stories within stories within stories this game has going for it, and simply wandering the halls of the mansion is quite intriguing.

The stories just seem to get better. Sure some have some cliche stuff but they are well crafted or detailed enough to be effective. The characters you manage to feel sorry for some and hate or disgust by others so they seem to be well developed for their purposes. Also seeing how the mansion changes by time and how the stories seem to get more grim and less predictable it simply makes you wanna keep going forward. Also I will need to explore more of the game cause there are 8 endings without including the dead ends. Also I really like the involvement of
The Maid in the story and the purpose of being there. That without counting the White Haired Girl which is another really interesting character

Amazing so far and i'm only at chapter 1.

It's really refreshing to see a gothic style VN like this, atmosphere and music are top notch too so far

Vazra

Amazing so far and i'm only at chapter 1.

It's really refreshing to see a gothic style VN like this, atmosphere and music are top notch too so far

I really like how it reminds me to Ayami Kojima art. Its different than the usual style visual novels get but yeah. I hope the spin offs and parodies get translated too cause they seem interesting themselves.

jonjonaug

Cleared chapter 4, onto
chapter 5
. I take back everything I said about the writing, this stuff is good. Chapter 4's mix of fairytale romance and
twisted in-between the lines unreliable storytelling
was superb. So far
chapter 5
is great too.

EDIT: Going through chapter 5 and holy crap this is good. And if I'm right about what I think is actually going on, then this story just got a whole lot crazier.

Vazra

Cleared chapter 4, onto
chapter 5
. I take back everything I said about the writing, this stuff is good. Chapter 4's mix of fairytale romance and
twisted in-between the lines unreliable storytelling
was superb. So far
chapter 5
is great too.

EDIT: Going through chapter 5 and holy crap this is good. And if I'm right about what I think is actually going on, then this story just got a whole lot crazier.

Be prepared LOL

jonjonaug

Chapter 7: The big twist here is exactly what I expected and it is glorious. Also very upsetting to read, but it's great. (mondo spoilers)
Not enough good intersex characters in fiction, so I'm happy to see this here.

Just finished chapter 3 and this game is pretty awesome. I got nobody else to talk to about visual novel games so I'm gonna have to spill it in the OT lol. The sense of solitude in this game is pretty amazing for a VN though.

BTW, is the Master actually
Giselle/White haired woman
? Just kind of a shot in the dark based on how everything's unfolding with a couple assumptions. Need to play more this week and try to finish the game.

jonjonaug

I finished the main story last night and cleared out all of the bad/dead endings and extra stuff today. This is the best visual novel release of the year so far, easily. Also
I'm looking forward to the fandisc

Vazra

I finished the main story last night and cleared out all of the bad/dead endings and extra stuff today. This is the best visual novel release of the year so far, easily. Also
I'm looking forward to the fandisc

Have they said anything about localizing the fan stuff and side stories?

jonjonaug

Didn't see it mentioned, what is the length looking like for all routes + true ending?

I'd say around 30 hours, +/- 5 hours depending on your reading speed. It's quite a bit longer than the advertising might suggest, everything in the OP post is only the first third or so of the game.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I just wrapped up Chapter 2 and I'm absolutely loving my time with the game. The art and music is so good. I wouldn't have stumbled upon this if it wasn't for this thread so thanks OP. It's scratching my VN itch while I wait for Zero Time Escape to come out. Anyone who has any interest in the genre should be checking this out.

Vazra

I finally got around playing it and the way each story gets connected by little details is actually pretty impressive and in some cases easy to miss if you don't pay attention.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Sounds about right. Took me about 30+ hours to get all the endings. Does anyone know how long the behind the scenes stuff takes to finish?

I just finished it, this was an excellent visual novel. Chapter 7 was probably the emotional peak of it for me, but it ended in a really satisfying way. Great music, art, very strong characterization and thematic work, I hope more people end up playing this. I'm glad we're getting the fandisc localized, though I wonder what there is to put in one.

Vazra

I just finished it, this was an excellent visual novel. Chapter 7 was probably the emotional peak of it for me, but it ended in a really satisfying way. Great music, art, very strong characterization and thematic work, I hope more people end up playing this. I'm glad we're getting the fandisc localized, though I wonder what there is to put in one.

The main episode of the game focuses on
the real history, or the reverse story, before the protagonist intervened.
The main episode is around 5 to 6 hours long. There is 3 more stories and the backstage. This one since its a fandisc is quite short. It should take somewhere around 8-10 hours to clear.

Top Bottom