• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

TGMIII

I'm sure the stealth will come in use every now and again. In the demo if you stealth kill all the enemies you save the hostage. Who knows if there's going to be more of that and if it ties into achievements, stage ranking or for unlocks.

Are you having trouble doing it to the left? I keep getting that strike when I do it to the left. It's based on Raiden's position, too, so you have to adjust your input depending on the direction he's facing. I think the neutral backstep is the only thing that works consistently when I'm fighting.

Maybe trying 1 or 3 (down/left, down/right) instead of 4 or 6 (left, right) adjusted to Raiden's facing direction for it works better.

Yeah, now that you mention it I think it was mostly when I was dodging to the left that it was happening.

PowderedToast

ok i will play it again later

it's a character action game from the studio as bayonetta, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as polished or assured as that. i know it's not kamiya but eh

wanders

While blade mode does slow down the game a bit I think it gives the game a good balance. I'm wondering if most people who complain about blade mode slowing the game down are using the analog sticks. Using the wide and light attack buttons makes blade mode appear to match the speed of the game. And so much more satisfying. But analog movement is there for left hands and precise cutting which is cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel the same way with the grenades. Why would anyone want to use those with all that slashing power?

The grenades felt really wonky, only thing I didn't really understand from the demo. Felt like I should have been able to throw them while running.

I'm sure the stealth will come in use every now and again. In the demo if you stealth kill all the enemies you save the hostage. Who knows if there's going to be more of that and if it ties into achievements, stage ranking or for unlocks.

The guy cowering in the street? I saved him by killing everything in sight with reckless abandon. In fact, I didn't even notice him until Codec McCodec told me to go help him up. I'm sure a bit of stealth will be used for secondary routes/goals and "thinning the herd" before a combat arena starts, but there is no identity crisis here.

TGMIII

The guy cowering in the street? I saved him by killing everything in sight with reckless abandon. In fact, I didn't even notice him until Codec McCodec told me to go help him up. I'm sure a bit of stealth will be used for secondary routes/goals, but there is no identity crisis here.

Oh shit I didn't even know you could do it like that. Ok well fuck stealth then.

Fighting those two gekkos at once with infantry to back them up is a major pain. Died a few times charging in recklessly. Notice slowdown at the same part as in the ZoE HD Collection. When he's walking and talking to Boris and nothing really happens on screen.

B.O.O.M

Fighting those two gekkos at once with infantry to back them up is a major pain. Died a few times charging in recklessly. Notice slowdown at the same part as in the ZoE HD Collection. When he's walking and talking to Boris and nothing really happens on screen.

Easiest way to do is to stealth take down one of them beforehand

NG28

While blade mode does slow down the game a bit I think it gives the game a good balance. I'm wondering if most people who complain about blade mode slowing the game down are using the analog sticks. Using the wide and light attack buttons makes blade mode appear to match the speed of the game. And so much more satisfying. But analog movement is there for left hands and precise cutting which is cool.

Yeah it goes much faster and smoother when just using light/heavy attack during the blade mode. I think people are also just doing it at random during combos which probably doesn't help with the flow. There are very specific times where the game heavily hints for you to start blade mode when it flows the best. It really isn't any different than QTE finishers from Bayonetta.

ThankeeSai

Just played it again this morning. Now that I know there are 2 types of parry, I found myself timing it much better for the boss fight and stunned him a lot more times than I did last night. Beat him first time this morning :)

Loving this game!

The demo code we played on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 shows that both of these elements have been expertly handled to the best extent we might have hoped for. Platinum Games has prior experience in targeting 60FPS, having done pretty well at sustaining it in its Xbox 360 rendition of Bayonetta, and that work pays off here: the team has retained high-poly characters with beautiful designs, with the only obvious drawbacks coming from a slightly flat-looking lighting scheme and some minor LOD-popping issues. Environmental detail is relatively high and some lovely effects work offsets the muted lighting.

Certainly, there are parallels from a tech perspective with the still-brilliant robo-shooter. Principally it comes down to the implementation of v-sync: the long and the short of it is that the PlayStation 3 game has it and the Xbox 360 version doesn't. Metal Gear Rising on the Microsoft console tears whenever the engine slips from its 60FPS target, and as you can see from the performance analysis further down the page, that occurs frequently. Over the years we'd like to think that we've developed quite a lot of sensitivity to this effect, but this is definitely a situation where the cold, hard, mathematical precision of the analysis is not reflected by human perception - only in screen-filling, effects-heavy scenarios is it obvious and even then it manifests more as a kind of vertically descending "wobble". We'd also put fairly good odds on the Xbox 360 game commanding a small frame-rate advantage in like-for-like scenarios, based on what we learned about Platinum's tech from Vanquish - though this is something we lack much in the way of source material for in the demo.

In truth, the biggest point of difference between the two versions comes down to the quality of the cinematics. The PS3 demo sails north of 3GB, while the Xbox 360 game is just 1.8GB.The variance here appears to be almost entirely down to the video sequences - they're of a reasonable enough quality on the Microsoft console, but it's no exaggeration to say that they're almost entirely pristine on the PS3 - that's all down to the presence of the Blu-ray disc for the final build, which offers Platinum so much more raw storage, allowing for higher quality video encodes. In terms of the demo though, that increase in quality means you'll be hanging about a lot longer for it to finish downloading before you can play.

But regardless of platform, the wait is worthwhile. There should be enough Metal Gear DNA in here to satisfy the purists in terms of storytelling and design, but few can argue with the sheer quality of the gameplay - while Rising looks and feels like a state-of-the-art console video game, the 60Hz feedback sets it apart. Combined with the uniquely Japanese approach to the audio-visual mix, the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is unmissable - the perfect starter before the main course arrives on February 22nd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-demo-showdown

To help everyone out who's still going throught the demo, here's some PS3 info on attacks that can help out. Most of the Special move info is from the video FlashBlade has been mentioning (thanks for keeping that up). It's worth watching it just to see how these are supposed to practically work too.
(Posting a lot of this from memory and a little research, call out something if you think it's wrong)

Special Moves
(unofficial names made on the fly; at least they look cool)

Fwd + Square = Parry (also in the air)

Fwd Fwd + Square = Launch

Fwd Fwd + Triangle = Dashing strike

360 Rotation + Triangle = Spinning Slash

X + Square = Evasion (optional direction)

Bk + Fwd + Square = Palm Strike

Bk + Fwd + Triangle = Blade Sweep

Ninja Run + Square = Quick Slash

Ninja Run + Triangle = Slide

Ninja Run + Triangle + Square/Triangle (Slide + Ground slam)

Jump + Triangle = Dive Kick

Some Combos (from GameFAQs)
unconfirmed for right now, will give all a try and update soon.

Square (repeatedly) = unlimited light attacks

Triangle (repeatedly) = unlimited heavy attacks

Triangle (delay) + Square + Triange = Sweep 'n' Strike

Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Square + Triangle (delay) + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Square + Triangle

(there's one or two, or more jump combos off of launcher, I'll post those later when I can confirm them again)

Tips

-Don't forget that with blade mode, you have the option of using square(horizontal)/triangle(vertical) strikes instead of the analog stick. Although, I get the feeling that correct aiming with the analog will really come in handy later in the game.

-Unless you're looking to get S ranking in everything, you might try experimenting with Blade Mode. Sadistic as it is, cutting off limbs and leaving the torso to walk or crawl in agony is pretty cool.

-The most opportune time to use Blade mode is when you've got a stunned opponent. Once the attack slows down and the guy glows orange, start cutting.

-Triangle + Circle gives you a stylish finishing attempt on an enemy once he/it's stunned.

-Stealth-killing is mostly getting above or behind a cyborg or gekko and hitting the button prompt.

Quoting for this page. I'll need to try all of this.

mocoworm

Demo showdown: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [DIGITAL FOUNDRY]

Click the link for the FULL article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-demo-showdown

"While we believe the demo we played to be of a certain age - and perhaps not entirely representative of final code - it does give us some flavour of the quality of the conversion work. Fans of Platinum Games may recall that the developer retook control of its PS3 destiny, after witnessing a shockingly poor conversion of its Xbox 360 classic Bayonetta, with the stunning Vanquish, which had its charms on both platforms but on balance was probably just a touch more refined on PlayStation 3.

Certainly, there are parallels from a tech perspective with the still-brilliant robo-shooter. Principally it comes down to the implementation of v-sync: the long and the short of it is that the PlayStation 3 game has it and the Xbox 360 version doesn't. Metal Gear Rising on the Microsoft console tears whenever the engine slips from its 60FPS target, and as you can see from the performance analysis further down the page, that occurs frequently. Over the years we'd like to think that we've developed quite a lot of sensitivity to this effect, but this is definitely a situation where the cold, hard, mathematical precision of the analysis is not reflected by human perception - only in screen-filling, effects-heavy scenarios is it obvious and even then it manifests more as a kind of vertically descending "wobble". We'd also put fairly good odds on the Xbox 360 game commanding a small frame-rate advantage in like-for-like scenarios, based on what we learned about Platinum's tech from Vanquish - though this is something we lack much in the way of source material for in the demo.

In truth, the biggest point of difference between the two versions comes down to the quality of the cinematics. The PS3 demo sails north of 3GB, while the Xbox 360 game is just 1.8GB.The variance here appears to be almost entirely down to the video sequences - they're of a reasonable enough quality on the Microsoft console, but it's no exaggeration to say that they're almost entirely pristine on the PS3 - that's all down to the presence of the Blu-ray disc for the final build, which offers Platinum so much more raw storage, allowing for higher quality video encodes. In terms of the demo though, that increase in quality means you'll be hanging about a lot longer for it to finish downloading before you can play.

But regardless of platform, the wait is worthwhile. There should be enough Metal Gear DNA in here to satisfy the purists in terms of storytelling and design, but few can argue with the sheer quality of the gameplay - while Rising looks and feels like a state-of-the-art console video game, the 60Hz feedback sets it apart. Combined with the uniquely Japanese approach to the audio-visual mix, the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is unmissable - the perfect starter before the main course arrives on February 22nd."

Ein Bear

There's no way to change the blood color?! I really liked the cyborgs having white blood in MGS4..

Yeah, footage of the Japanese demo has the white blood and it looks much cooler IMO. Hopefully they'll let you change it in the full game.

He feels a little detached from the world while navigating and jumping. I especially hate when you hit a wall and he just keeps running as if in the open street. A pretty big pet peeve of mine, as it makes things feel weightless at times, like the world around you isn't really.

Other than that, it's damn good. Not at all trashing the game. I actually love how the combat feels, but it is what it is, I suppose. Day 1 etc.

zoukka

It's good. My only gripe is with the camera. Feels weird to lock on to something when there are multiple enemies coming at you. The boss was better because the camera followed it.

Blade mode feels gimmicky.

meta4

The area they're going to hit you with will glow orange just before they attack you, parry then.

Thanks! I wonder why they did not go with a single button for parrying instead of left stick + attack.. If they had locked parrying to a single button and actually take down your health a bit for just blocking and not stunning the enemy in case the player got the timing wrong I think it may have worked better.

Mdk7

I tried a (different) demo at an event last september and loved it.

This demo however was a big turn off for me: confusing, clumsy and far from what i was honestly expecting.
The VR part is ok: it does a fine job in teaching you the blade mechanics, and it feels amazingly rewarding to cut stuff apart like that.

Too bad that i didn't really "feel" the combat in the actual game (probably because nobody teaches you the controls): the fights against standard enemies are almost pointless, and basically feel like a filler between one Zan-Datsu and another.
The parry system is a nightmare, and honestly made me regret they chose to go this way: i am really missing a more classical parry/evade mechanic, and despite not having got the grasp on that aspect i did get more then an A mark... without really finding myself at ease, nor having that much fun.

The boss battle was a chore, but i eventually got an A there as well (by spamming the Jump+Y move to avoid the wolf's attacks in the first place).

Oh, and as a NON-Metal Gear Solid fan (i hate stealth mechanics, so i never played one) i wasn't expecting to fully understand the story, but what i read and listened to totally confused me.

Given my faith in Platinum Games i'll surely be there, day one (even with the Limited Edition), but unexpectedly color me UNimpressed.
Overall i'm a bit worried about this whole Zan-Datsu thing: it's definitely uber cool and badass, but i hope the combat in the final game doesn't rely so heavily on that... it makes you overpowered and terribly slows the pace of the action, IMHO.

Ein Bear

Thanks! I wonder why they did not go with a single button for parrying instead of left stick + attack.. If they had locked parrying to a single button and actually take down your health a bit for just blocking and not stunning the enemy in case the player got the timing wrong I think it may have worked better.

I think the idea is that you attack into attacks, to keep the flow of combat going. I agree that it can sometimes feel a little clunky though, not sure if that's the fault of the game or just something I have to get used to. It'd be interesting if they let you map parry to O since it's going unused otherwise.

ohmygodwhaaaaaat

Thank you, Ein Bear! THANK YOU!

ibpEr3RnaaHSXH.gif

great to hear from DF that both versions are great, i was a bit worried for the PS3.. but if it's solid and the framerate doesn't dip from 60fps too often, i'm buying the game new. (half-assed ports i buy used).

better be on EU PSN later today!

rvy

Banned
Fucking love this game. The window for parrying is big as hell, looks like they didn't want too much bitching and moaning after all.

So do Gold members just not get the demo at all or just a day later how does it work?

One week later.

TokiDoki

Jumped into the demo by skipping tutorial and all the cutscene . Tbh, I like the parry system , which is offense orientated pretty much like Bayonetta with Witch Time . Controls feel like home and DAT 60FPS .

antic604

Banned
Regarding Eurogamer's demo 'face-off' the line:

"We'd also put fairly good odds on the Xbox 360 game commanding a small frame-rate advantage in like-for-like scenarios, based on what we learned about Platinum's tech from Vanquish - though this is something we lack much in the way of source material for in the demo"

made me chuckle, because it sounds "we're sure Xbox version is better and just wait until we find proof for that!". I can't really see the frame-rate advantage in their footage, but this might just be me being biased for PS3.

Anyways, looking at the last screenshot and if I was to nitpick I could notice:
- Xbox shadows look indeed better when they're close (3rd picture) but apparently the technique doesn't scale with distance hence looking worse if it's further away - check the columns under the bridge,
- the "wall" on the right is more defined in PS3 shot (vertical 'carvings') probably due to bump-map missing from Xbox version or some LoD issues, although - again - those suppose to be superior on Xbox,
- Xbox has more pronounced bloom - the "arch" at the top of the building,

All in all, VERY WELL matched conversion, with differences that are largely irrelevant for 99.99% of people :)

remz

I think the whole point of the parry system is raiden is fucking angry and violent, so he';s not going to be dodging attacks or standing around blocking, he's going to be getting up in peoples faces, slapping away slashes and cutting people into cubes.

it's all about dat revengeance

Astery

played the demo twice, I love it, except using the analog for blade mode sometimes doesn't work, feels abit unreliable. And I don't really get how to make parry work. It only works sometimes, and I don't even know how.

played the demo twice, I love it, except using the analog for blade mode sometimes doesn't work, feels abit unreliable. And I don't really get how to make parry work. It only works sometimes, and I don't even know how.

Press the analog stick in the direction of the attacker then press square or X depending on the console that you're playing it on. I'd say LQ-84I (the boss) is the best enemy to practice it on. You're only having to deal with him and he telegraphs his attacks long enough for you to really prepare for it.

Astery

thanks I'll give that a try

Edit: yes it works like a charm tho the parry time frame is kinda tight. So bad ass when blocking every every boss attacks.

Squall516

Just beat the demo for the first time and it was pretty awesome, i have to say tho that i was a little disappointed i thought it was going to be a lot more fun then it was. The blade mode while a really cool feature, just sometimes becomes difficult to control and i feel can really slow down the game-play. Like you jumping around and doing combos and what not, then i have to stop right in front of a guy and slow try and line up the slash to hit the box. I find that kind of annoying and like i said really messes with the flow of the fighting. Overall it was fun, but like other people have said i really don't like how they don't give you like a move list or something and in the demo (at least on the 360) it was saying to push A+X to parry but it wasn't doing anything, so don't know if it was just me or wut but it was getting kind of frustrating and a complete lack of a block button just seems really really awkward to me and i have no idea why they wouldn't include that. With all that, i still liked it a lot and will most likely get it on day 1.

Another thing tho, is that im still really torn on which system to get it for. I played it on the 360 first and i play on playing it on the PS3 next. The 360's particle effects were nice but the screen tearing started to get really annoying. So just wondering if anyone else has played the demo on both systems and could give me their opinion on which system they think should get it on.

rvy

Banned

Because you spend too much time wrestling with the stick to be effective and fast. Just mash away on the face buttons. Unless we're doing some sort of precise cutting later on the game, I don't see how Blade Mode with the right analog stick is any useful.

If anything, parrying creates more sensation and feedback than just a normal dodge, the sound/visual cues along with the slight controller rumble is going to really provide serious dopamine quantities on higher difficulties when there's more at stake.

Some more demonstrations of what you can do in the demo, would be nice to maybe include these on every page so people aren't constantly confused by the mechanics and feel underwhelmed due to a lack of explanation.

Combo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxP7Twb5vA

Edit: 1:27 of that video seems pretty gif-worthy

The most abusive way to beat the demo with S-ranks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTOYOkhOGs

The most elegant way to beat the demo with S-ranks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMLNHB0w1I

Top Bottom