• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

I've been one of the most hardcore of PlayStation fans for years but I haven't touched my PS4 or Vita since the Switch came out. I say, keep the Switch talk coming.

Lexad

Max is unbearable at times, so Beyond is a hit or miss for me.

IGN Game Scoop, NVC (Nintendo Voice Chat), and Unlocked are all solid podcasts though.

I don't have a problem with Max honestly. I do love the episodes where Brian, Andrew, Alana, and Marty are on though.

N° 2048

He indeed did a 360. Since he is exactly the person he has always been.

lNEg8.gif

oops ha

joshcam19

I've been one of the most hardcore of PlayStation fans for years but I haven't touched my PS4 or Vita since the Switch came out. I say, keep the Switch talk coming.
I don't mind some Switch talk but it has been way over the top. The system has so few games, you'd think it would be hard to dedicate so much time to it. Meanwhile PS4 has huge game after huge gaming coming out that get hardly a mention. That's why easy allies is so great, they'll play anything on any platform, they just love games.

Mezoly

I always theorized that Greg was always a portable fan more than a console fan. He started on the PSP beat and then Vita. That's why I always thought of him as a Vita fan more than a PlayStation fan. Now that Nintendo has the high graphic portable, it seems logical to me that Greg would become a big fan of the Switch ahead of any system. I don't care for the Switch talk, but I also didn't care for the PSP, Vita, and Trophies talk either.

I don't mind some Switch talk but it has been way over the top. The system has so few games, you'd think it would be hard to dedicate so much time to it. Meanwhile PS4 has huge game after huge gaming coming out that get hardly a mention. That's why easy allies is so great, they'll play anything on any platform, they just love games.

Meh. That attitude of playing everything bit Easy Allies a bit this year. Their spoilers discussion of Horizon was terrible and they clearly didn't want to play the game and just did it as part of checklist. Damiani stream of Nier was equally terrible to the point were he and the audience were so aggressive he disabled the comments. He wasn't interested in playing the game but the attitude of playing everything was the cause of playing a game he didn't want to play and the quality suffered as a result.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Have barely watched Kinda Funny since Colin left. The few episodes I have watched are simply just boring. There's no debating, conversing, nothing. Way too positive especially about Nintendo Switch.

They need to bring in someone who's like Colin but without all the other stuff unrelated to video games.

And cancelling P.S. I Love You XOXO isn't really a surprise. On final episode and it's gone but I do think they will have a PlayStation show with a different name after E3.

So, Greg tweeted that he is going to a North Carolina video game studio for a secret meeting. In the same tweet, he asks for Marvel comic suggestions. Now, it's probably a coincidence, but Insomniac Games has a North Carolina studio and Insomniac is working on Spider-Man on PS4. However, I was under the impression that Spider-Man was being made by the Burbank, California studio, so I doubt its that. Also in NC are Epic Games and Boss Key Productions (CliffyB's new studio).

So, it's clear: Greg will play Fortnite* ;p

*(which might actually be the case)

Don't look at the comments on the latest GOG topic this morning

Absolutely appalling. I'm done reading them, this community has gone to shit.

They should honestly consider disabling YT replies, there's nothing productive there anymore

Don't look at the comments on the latest GOG topic this morning

Absolutely appalling. I'm done reading them, this community has gone to shit.

They should honestly consider disabling YT replies, there's nothing productive there anymore

I looked. Colour me ashamed. Such disrespect. I'll just go back to listening to the podcasts. No need for silly comments there.

speedomodel

So, Greg tweeted that he is going to a North Carolina video game studio for a secret meeting. In the same tweet, he asks for Marvel comic suggestions. Now, it's probably a coincidence, but Insomniac Games has a North Carolina studio and Insomniac is working on Spider-Man on PS4. However, I was under the impression that Spider-Man was being made by the Burbank, California studio, so I doubt its that. Also in NC are Epic Games and Boss Key Productions (CliffyB's new studio).

So, it's clear: Greg will play Fortnite* ;p

*(which might actually be the case)

Pretty sure he's at Boss Key.

I looked at the comments this morning after reading your post and I did not find it nearly as bad as you made it sound like they were. I saw one top comment complaining about how nasty the comments were to Tim, then I went through all of them and I hardly saw anyone being "nasty" to him, just pointing out that he got bigger. I'm a huge Tim fan and can't stand the unwarranted hate he gets and even I wasn't triggered by that. I do hope he gets his health/weight back on track so I'm glad people are pointing it out without being aggressive about it.

Maximo

I looked at the comments this morning after reading your post and I did not find it nearly as bad as you made it sound like they were. I saw one top comment complaining about how nasty the comments were to Tim, then I went through all of them and I hardly saw anyone being "nasty" to him, just pointing out that he got bigger. I'm a huge Tim fan and can't stand the unwarranted hate he gets and even I wasn't triggered by that. I do hope he gets his health/weight back on track so I'm glad people are pointing it out without being aggressive about it.

Don't the dude live with his GF now? I would put some on too if mine lived with me she loves to bake, don't see the issue tim isn't obese some people are projecting.

Don't the dude live with his GF now? I would put some on too if mine lived with me she loves to bake, don't see the issue tim isn't obese some people are projecting.

I think you're exaggerating what the majority of people are actually saying about it.

Tim himself wants to slim back down, so I'm rooting for him. Or else I wouldn't really care as much as I do, though either way I prefer slim Tim. Any time I see someone slim start to get bigger I hope they turn it around.

_Isaac

My favorite chubby Tim moment was after one of the morning shows I guess everybody had left the desk already but he came back to kinda admire his belly. He was wearing a shirt that said "gordo" too. 😁

A lot of it wasn't constructive. People were just straight up making fun of him. If someone like Greg jokes around about their own weight with #TeamFat that's one thing but it's really fucking rude and uncalled for to just point that out to people out of 'concern'. I guarantee you if you told someone in real life to their face hey you got fat it would not make them feel good. I'm sure he knows he's put on weight and I'm sure he doesn't need to read about it on YouTube.

However, the really nasty comments I was referring to were about Gen and Greg's previous girlfriend, who we all know very well. I'm not going to repeat what was said but I'm just hugely disappointed in people, I guess.

Oh ok I thought you were talking about all the Tim comments. I still think the vast majority of the ones I saw were lighthearted in manner more along the lines of #TeamFAT stuff and not really mean at all.

Zukkoyaki

I still watch most of their content (aside from the morning show) and enjoy it but aside from Gamescasts with a strong guest things do feel like they've stagnated. This isn't about Colin either because I actually think things are better without his over-negativity and terrible body language that screamed, "I don't want to be here." Just feels like everyone is coasting and the quality of the content is suffering as a result

But it could easily just be me.

ST2K

I still watch most of their content (aside from the morning show) and enjoy it but aside from Gamescasts with a strong guest things do feel like they've stagnated. This isn't about Colin either because I actually think things are better without his over-negativity and terrible body language that screamed, "I don't want to be here." Just feels like everyone is coasting and the quality of the content is suffering as a result

But it could easily just be me.

It's not just you.

I'm seeing this type of feeling all over the internet at this point. It's silly it hasn't been openly addressed by now.

It's not just you.

I'm seeing this type of feeling all over the internet at this point. It's silly it hasn't been openly addressed by now.

Yeah this is a pretty common feeling throughout the community it seems. I tended to really only watch PSILY and the occasional GOG if the topic seemed particularly interesting. I also watched the morning show religiously when it first started, but they lost my interest when they started shying away from the structure they'd built and focusing more on silly gags and talking about what to eat for lunch for 20 minutes.

The Gameovergreggy regarding the wedding is adorable.

Still think so few months together is reckless.

Eh, when you know you know. Greg's been through marriage already so he probably has a good sense of what he's looking for. They've been head over heels since they got together. Some people just don't see any point in waiting. I'm sure the immigration stuff doesn't hurt either, though.

Zukkoyaki

Yeah this is a pretty common feeling throughout the community it seems. I tended to really only watch PSILY and the occasional GOG if the topic seemed particularly interesting. I also watched the morning show religiously when it first started, but they lost my interest when they started shying away from the structure they'd built and focusing more on silly gags and talking about what to eat for lunch for 20 minutes.

This seems to be the crux of it. At some point (seemingly around KFL2) the focus seemed to change. Instead of making interesting content and discussing compelling topics with some fun screwing around mixed in, which is what got them to where they are, it's like now THEY are the content. Sort of like they misread the tea leaves thinking everybody subscribes and watches exclusively for all of their antics when in reality people tuned in because it was a group of cool dudes with strong chemistry talking about interesting shit. Like I said, I think the shift can be traced back to KFL2 where people made them feel like gods. I think they got the wrong message there. The hardcore fans who would go to something like that are a tiny fraction of the audience.

I'm sorry Kinda Funny, but streaming yourselves eating lunch isn't content. This is coming from a longtime fan who really enjoys all of you guys.

Mezoly

This seems to be the crux of it. At some point (seemingly around KFL2) the focus seemed to change. Instead of making interesting content and discussing compelling topics with some fun screwing around mixed in, which is what got them to where they are, it's like now THEY are the content. Sort of like they misread the tea leaves thinking everybody subscribes and watches exclusively for all of their antics when in reality people tuned in because it was a group of cool dudes with strong chemistry talking about interesting shit. Like I said, I think the shift can be traced back to KFL2 where people made them feel like gods. I think they got the wrong message there. The hardcore fans who would go to something like that are a tiny fraction of the audience.

I'm sorry Kinda Funny, but streaming yourselves eating lunch isn't content. This is coming from a longtime fan who really enjoys all of you guys.

I completely agree. Sometimes they just read the headlines in the morning show. I could read the deadlines myself, I want more depth than that. I think KFL has gotten into their heads where they think they are the product. They now believe that they are these personality that people watch anything they put out for them not the content. Which is probably true for their hardcore fans but not for me anymore. Also their engagement level is at an all time low, I don't see them post in a meaningful way anywhere on Reddit, Gaf, Facebook Group, or YouTube. They do comment only when someone praise them. I guess that's sticking with their mantra by only engaging with positivty but constructive criticism from fans shouldn't be ignored.

_Isaac

I completely agree. Sometimes they just read the headlines in the morning show. I could read the deadlines myself, I want more depth than that. I think KFL has gotten into their heads where they think they are the product. They now believe that they are these personality that people watch anything they put out for them not the content. Which is probably true for their hardcore fans but not for me anymore. Also their engagement level is at an all time low, I don't see them post in a meaningful way anywhere on Reddit, Gaf, Facebook Group, or YouTube. They do comment only when someone praise them. I guess that's sticking with their mantra by only engaging with positivty but constructive criticism from fans shouldn't be ignored.

I kinda wouldn't blame them with them cutting back on social media engagement a bit due to the recent events. Hopefully, that gets better soon though.

Coda

Have barely watched Kinda Funny since Colin left. The few episodes I have watched are simply just boring. There's no debating, conversing, nothing. Way too positive especially about Nintendo Switch.

They need to bring in someone who's like Colin but without all the other stuff unrelated to video games.

And cancelling P.S. I Love You XOXO isn't really a surprise. On final episode and it's gone but I do think they will have a PlayStation show with a different name after E3.

I agree with this, I've tried watching them recently and the magic is gone without Colin there IMO. The dynamic now is too aw let's just BBQ every day and just talk about random stupid crap. While talking about stupid crap inbetween stuff was always fine because it made the crew feel more real and human, having the entire show have no real deep discussion about games in the way that they happened when Colin was around has made KF pretty boring to watch.

Vinc

To me it's like Burger King splitting into two different companies, and now one makes bread while the other makes hamburger patties. The debating and conversations between people coming from different places was the best part of their product. As much as I think Colin's videos improved over time, I still think he's very much letting go of the very best content he produced by not adopting the long-form discussion format. Basically, I don't get why the stuff he's making now couldn't happen AT KF. It would've been the best of both worlds. If there was no bad blood at all, I don't see why it couldn't have happened. His current videos are not more abrasive than his CWR series or the political topics on GoG. Heh.

I like Greg as a host, I like Tim as a personality (and I think he makes really good points about games), but I don't think he and Greg do that well together. What a crappy situation.

Pryce

I agree with this, I've tried watching them recently and the magic is gone without Colin there IMO. The dynamic now is too aw let's just BBQ every day and just talk about random stupid crap. While talking about stupid crap inbetween stuff was always fine because it made the crew feel more real and human, having the entire show have no real deep discussion about games in the way that they happened when Colin was around has made KF pretty boring to watch.

That's the best part. No Colin to be an insufferable jackass at every moment to bring everything down.

Mezoly

That's not true. I see them responding to criticism on YouTube a bit.

Really? admittedly I've been only watching couple of videos a week but everytime I scroll to the comments I don't see them responding. Unless you count "LEAVE"! as responding and engaging, which usually reserved to the trolls but I don't count that as engaging with the community.

jviggy43

To me it's like Burger King splitting into two different companies, and now one makes bread while the other makes hamburger patties. The debating and conversations between people coming from different places was the best part of their product. As much as I think Colin's videos improved over time, I still think he's very much letting go of the very best content he produced by not adopting the long-form discussion format. Basically, I don't get why the stuff he's making now couldn't happen AT KF. It would've been the best of both worlds. If there was no bad blood at all, I don't see why it couldn't have happened. His current videos are not more abrasive than his CWR series or the political topics on GoG. Heh.

I like Greg as a host, I like Tim as a personality (and I think he makes really good points about games), but I don't think he and Greg do that well together. What a crappy situation.
Probably to keep colin's shitty mysognistic rhetoric/politics away from their show about games and nerd culture.

doop_

Banned
The Morning show is the best thing about the company, I enjoy watching them in the background just being silly. On the other hand I do agree that the Gamecast has become really average and sometimes flat out boring. It needs a strong force like Colin to argue points in more detail and add more PlayStation insight. I think that is the reason why I enjoyed Lanning on the GOG show. Speaking of the GOG show, I think it is still good. I enjoy most of the guests they have brought on and I am really enjoying hearing about Greg and Genevieve's road to marriage.

They basically said on his farewell GOG that he wanted to do this kind of content on Kinda Funny and got voted down by the other guys. The rest of the group wants to stick to pop/nerd culture and not wade into the incredibly divisive world of political opinions right now. Just like Colin's visible distaste for discussing gaming and nerd culture during his last couple of months, you would have had Greg/Tim/Nick being unhappy with delving into those kinds of political topics on a more regular basis. You'd be trading one bad for another just to keep the gang together.

All-in-all, both of them are going to take a while to find a new rhythm. Colin's content seems to be very passion driven and well researched but lacks a lot of the production value they once had as a group. Likewise, KF's content still has the high production values they've had, but they're working to find a new rhythm without Colin.

If you remember, a ton of their content was super negative leading up to KF Day 2017 and they took that day to double down on community, announce new hires, and talked more about what they want to do moving forward (i.e. Let's Plays and more scripted content from Colin). Half of their new plans (Colin's content) is now gone and I'm sure they'll announce some new things at KFL3 that will take the places of Colin Was Right and PSILYXOXO.

While I'm happy with the overall positive vibes of their content lately, I agree that they need a little bit more disagreement in their shows to foster debate. What I don't want is someone coming in and reiterating the same dissenting opinions for the sake of disagreement, which is - right or wrong - how I began to perceive Colin on their gaming shows over the last 6 months or so. I'd really just like to see them hire an on camera talent who has vastly different tastes than the rest of the group (i.e. shooters, JRPGs, sports/racing games, XBOX etc) and is comfortable talking about them. It would help them cover all the bases and help foster some interesting discussions.

So, with that new about Comey being fired by Trump, Colin tweeted "This is just getting weird". Patrick Klepek responds with "*Just*" and then that's followed up with "lmao did you unfollow me over that joke". Sigh. I always defended Colin when people would rip into him, but this seems too hypocritical of him, considering the whole tweet thing that lead to his resignation from KF.

Edit- So, he unfollowed him a while back, trimming down who he followed. He did not unfollow him due to that tweet today. According to Colin there's some thing that proves he unfollowed no one today. I'll take him for his words.

Mezoly

So, with that new about Comey being fired by Trump, Colin tweeted "This is just getting weird". Patrick Klepek responds with "*Just*" and then that's followed up with "lmao did you unfollow me over that joke". Sigh. I always defended Colin when people would rip into him, but this seems too hypocritical of him, considering the whole tweet thing that lead to his resignation from KF.

Colin is the most thin skinned and snowflake person I have ever seen. Ironic considering that he makes fun of thin skinned and snowflakes people.

mugen812

That whole twitter thread is hilarious. Colin is salty as all hell, which is dumb considering his whole "just a joke" thing. Really glad more people are calling him out on it. The dude is a major tool.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Gamescast and pretty much anything kinda funny has been better than ever without Colin.
I honestly don't get why you need someone just sitting there being disinterested + saying blatantly wrong things. If that's not your jazz you can always join the anti pc toxic garbage people over at CLS and praise your overlord there.

Really? admittedly I've been only watching couple of videos a week but everytime I scroll to the comments I don't see them responding. Unless you count "LEAVE"! as responding and engaging, which usually reserved to the trolls but I don't count that as engaging with the community.
No they don't do it on most videos, but sometimes they do. This one is the most recent example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZC3cY0KjRs

At least one of the recent lets plays they were responding too. And some random recent gamescast I saw some responses for.

Gamescast and pretty much anything kinda funny has been better than ever without Colin.
I honestly don't get why you need someone just sitting there being disinterested + saying blatantly wrong things. If that's not your jazz you can always join the anti pc toxic garbage people over at CLS and praise your overlord there.
You'd be surprised. I mean obviously pretty much all of the sub are Colin fans to some extent, but there's a lot of people who don't agree with those views. He's been called out there lately (not just today) for the victim complex thing and they actually get upvotes. That along with people disagreeing with things stated in his political videos and whatnot.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Comment sections are trash? Color me shocked.

Cracks me up that Greg was the one being pursued hard and he was so oblivious. They look good together. As with all newly married couples I wish them the best of luck.

The loss of Colin didn't move the needle in any direction for me. I don't really tune into the Morning Show unless they have a guest I'm interested in listening to (i.e. Tim Schafer) but I haven't really noticed any change to GOG and Gamescast.

If you don't like the topic of the show just don't watch/listen. Complaining about them talking about the Switch so much is odd when its the hot thing right now. Everyone talks about the Switch. Them jettisoning Colin and kind of pivoting away and being less of the Playstation fanboy guys is a good business move for them. I think they'll have more room for growth in the long run.

Anyhow...vote with your dollars. Keep in mind that my comments are coming from the perspective of a non-paying fan. Who am I to complain? Granted if the Patreon community is actually complaining about these same things...then yeah go right ahead and tweak accordingly to your paying customers.

jtar86

I think the dynamic between Colin and the rest of the guys was what made kinda funnys content great. I used to watch the morning show everyday when it first started, I never even bother now. The gog cast hasn't been as good lately to me. I miss Colin and Greg, those two dudes together were something else. One of The 24 hour streams they did where they were just super drunk at the end saying the most random shit into the camera was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I miss those four dudes in a spare bedroom. Doesn't really feel the same anymore. Bums me out because I loved their content before and looked forward to watching it.

One point I would like to make about people saying that they dont seem as engaged lately both during the content and in the comments, if you look back for the 1-2 months before KFL2/1, there was a drop there too Time and Nick are spending a hell of a lot of time planning and producing the content etc for KFL3 and they are now having to do shifts on the morning show aswell which they won't really last 2 years. Think this is a big factor Tim and Nick really put a hell of a lot of effort in KFL so if there is a drop off before as someone flying out from UK for second year in a row I don't mind, i understand they are tired/busy/distracted, hey we all remeber/know of the infamous poster tube incident for pre KFL1 etc. Also as others say they are having to rebuild chemistry without Colin, I agree is hard when been the 4 of them for so long, i kind of hope they announce a new host at KFL3 cause think they need more than 3 main on camera people, know it might be a bit too soon, but also Andy and Kevin are great when they are dropped in to help but have jobs etc already. Hey I still watch it religously and actually love the BBQ bits as see it as bonus content.

Hey maybe if you are not feeling Kinda funny at the moment take a break for a week or month. They produce so much easy to burn out, come back later and see how you feel about it then, also if after KFL3 will have a new engery etc. and hopefully some cool new shows or some old ones coming back looking at you love and sex stuff!

Top Bottom