• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Course You Realize, This Means Wargaming (The Jimquisition)

Accoun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1OXSusKdw

As The Jimquisition gears up for change, we're reminded that some things stay the same - like spurious YouTube copyright threats.

World of Tanks' very own Wargaming.net has been misusing words like "defamation" in order to try and scare its own community... and it's time for an expert to step in.

Because this isn't about World of Tanks... this is about OUR shit being fucked with. Again.

Been waiting since the minivideo a few days ago.

Renekton

Wait... so when this takedown threat news broke out, a WoT fan actually pre-emptively badgered Jimquisition against covering it?

Finished the episode. As usual , jim makes great points.

- First , i just don't understand why this video triggered wargaming .. If the guy has done content like this in the past , then why that one triggered something ?
( fair point here jim )

- Second the , takedown threats are bullshit of the highest order . The justification manages to get more bullshit points as a bonus .

-Prenium ammo ? LoL . How the heck is a tank sold , without ammo ? Why not sell prenium turrets or prenium tires ? i know this is a free game but come on. You're supposed to pay to have an advantage , not to pay to be able to pay often to keep your advantage.

-As jim said there really isn't any kind of justification for this mess.
It got messy , because they acted like children ( both parties ) and wargamaing justification for not having a solid moral ground was dissapated when they resulted with threats . Congratulations , it's a LOSE - LOSE argument on the internet .The worse and the most common there is.

---------------
Bonus
-There is never enough girl und panzer on the internet
-The aristocrat part was 12/10 A++++ material. Will be remembered for decades.
-Sad to this is concept go.
-Happy to look forward to a new concept.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
no more Drill Queen
end of an era

on topic, does Wargaming really think it's okay to say "we don't like what you're saying, therefore we're going to do a copyright strike?"

that's... that's not what copyright is for

it's for if someone is stealing your shit, not if they say something you don't like

that is an overt abuse of youtube's copyright system

Keasar

Can't get over how hilarious it is that there is a game with "Premium Ammo" and people just accept that, thanks Jim for reminding me of it. :D

This game has tournaments. How people can take any such thing serious is beyond me.

Edit:
That perfomance of pure posh!

7rj2ZgttvgomY.gif

Bravo Mr. Sterling. Bravo~

Beef

17th century aristocrat is just perfect. The role Jim was born to play. Love, love, love the makeup and hairpiece.

617164_jim.jpg

Bryant

Been waiting for this video. I moderate the sub-reddit /r/worldoftanks and am pretty familiar with the issue at hand. Jim's video is pretty accurate but it only covers one part of the two big issues at play here...

1. Copyright Strike Threat: Basically how he covers it.
  2. Pay to Win Premiums: WG has been adding more and more "premium" tanks that are just better than the standard tech tree tanks. Premium tanks can only be purchased with real money. They used to add premiums in game so you could buy them with gold, but too many people got free gold from tournaments and such that they stopped this for new tanks and they are only $$$ now. On top of that, these tanks are hard to kill and have very few downsides. A lot of the players are mad because they are adding new op premium after new op premium while they haven't added any new maps or tanks in a while. This is why Foch, and many of us, are upset.

Also that top 0.1% player, lol. Most likely a person who dies in every battle and blames the team.

All of you laughing at premium ammo, it can be bought with in game currency as well, at least play the game before oh lol-ing about premium ammo

Nick_C

Been waiting for this video. I moderate the sub-reddit /r/worldoftanks and am pretty familiar with the issue at hand. Jim's video is pretty accurate but it only covers one part of the two big issues at play here...

2. Pay to Win Premiums: WG has been adding more and more "premium" tanks that are just better than the standard tech tree tanks. Premium tanks can only be purchased with real money. They used to add premiums in game so you could buy them with gold, but too many people got free gold from tournaments and such that they stopped this for new tanks and they are only $$$ now. On top of that, these tanks are hard to kill and have very few downsides. A lot of the players are mad because they are adding new op premium after new op premium while they haven't added any new maps or tanks in a while. This is why Foch, and many of us, are upset.

Also that top 0.1% player, lol. Most likely a person who dies in every battle and blames the team.

I'm a firm believer that if someone doesn't have the knowledge to accurately cover a subject they really shouldn't. Jim admits himself that he has no interest in the game, and will therefore not cover the minutiae of Ollie-Ollie-Fochsenfree's video. The high-level issue of spurious copyright strikes as a way to silence criticism is one that he is a lot more comfortable discussing because he has a much deeper knowledge of it.

Bryant

Seriously though, premium ammo?

Premium ammo is not as bad as it sounds. The game as "standard" items and "premium" items. Premium items cost x10 credits to buy and can be purchased using ingame currency. The benefit is that they give you a better chance to penetrate the enemy tank. However using too many of these in a battle will cause you to lose credits. This can be offset by purchasing them for gold (premium currency) but every average joe can use them. This was the one "nitpick" I had. It's not $$$ only ammo.

All of you laughing at premium ammo, it can be bought with in game currency as well, at least play the game before oh lol-ing about premium ammo
Not the point. I had people emailing me that justification all weekend long and I deliberately didn't bring it up because it is specifically not the point.

The point being that ammo you can buy with real-life money is hilarious.

Steroyd

He's making changes to the Jimquisition? But I'm afraid of change.

Also, please keep the aristocrat character around.

I think this is the filthy casual aristocrat's second (?) appearance but it was used beautifully in this episode and it won't be the last time we'll get "elite" gamers either.

Also premium ammo lol, I thought Deus Ex Upgrade kits (Praxis?) one time use was bad.

I must be missing something with the fuss over premium ammo, which is very possible because I've largely stayed away from freemium/IAP games. It's an expendable attack buff you can buy with money if you want, is WoT the only game that sells buffs for money? Or is there something else wrong with the setup?

It's been a while since I played WoT, but I was pretty sure that was the case. It is inordinately expensive as I recall.

I love how that email kept switching tones. It's starts with a kind of playful jab like "Jim Snow"
Which I thought I would never see in an email, and shows how dumb this is
. But then moves on to talking about diversity because this guy thinks that Jim will go "Oh they have a diverse player base, clearly I should not cover this topic". It then moves to bragging about himself
and bragging about playing this game for 5 hours a day while being in the top 0.1% is not something you do.
to finally concluding with a plea. Someone actually wrote that and went "Yep this will convince Jim".

Also it's amazing how this situation could have been lessened if they just removed Foch from being a community manager. Sure, I would say that this is a clear case of silencing criticism and making sure the popular people in this game only praise it but, it wouldn't have exploded (using the premium ammo) as it has right now.

And Jim, no matter what change you can't get rid of chains of love on the chance you play the song. Your videos are literally the first thing I think of when I hear that song.

So, who else is going to read every negative comment thrown at Jim from now on with the aristocrat in the back of their minds?

Also, when we've gotten to the point where people can excuse disposable ammo being attainable through actual currency, regardless of whether it can be gained through inflated in-game-currency or not, you surely have to take a step back and ask yourself 'why?'. It's not like there aren't a plethora of other games out there, free-to-play or not that don't implement such wasteful resource at the expense of the players' time and/or wallet per use, or even if World of Tanks is your number one game, surely you'd have more respect for the player-base and want this removed. Does losing the ammo and re balancing some of the tank's armour ruin the game? if not, then what, beyond fleecing people, is the justification of premium ammo?

That really doesn't make it any better. Its obviously designed the way it is to push premium purchases to get an advantage, or to overcome some purposefully designed disadvantages.

Just an example of some of the grosser free to play techniques out there.

Arrrammis

For anyone freaking out about Premium ammo: As an avid player (a little over 1000 hours in game), premium ammo is not straight up better in most cases than normal ammo. Compared to normal ammo, premium ammo provides higher armor penetration on flat armor, but ricochets more easily against a sloped target and is completely blocked by spaced armor that normal ammo would be able to penetrate. There are some special types of premium ammo for artillery or other derp-style guns, but even those have situations where normal ammo would have had a better effect.

Plus, it's available to buy in game using in-game currency, so if you feel like it's some insurmountable advantage, feel free to spam it yourself.

Aesnath

I'm excited to see what the new format is. I love Jim, but have never quite embraced his iconography or the artifice of his show. His content is great and he tends to be witty, but I can do without the dictator shtick. I would feel bad if the overblown narcissism completely goes away, however.

Powercreep into premium options sounds like BS from a game balance standpoint, but, in a completely free to play game these things seem less like of a problem. Based on past videos, Jim would have likely been more inclined to call BS on such a practice if were in game one had to purchase initially.

Let me be clear, pay to win is never good design, but it isn't exactly shady if the cost of entry is 0. I can see why players of the game would be upset with those decisions, but it isn't, strictly speaking, wrong. Silencing criticism, making threats, and abusing the copyright strike system are all in a different column.

Bryant

Wargaming has posted an update today. Pretty basic stuff really, seems to me that they still view the copyright infringement complaint as a valid tool to use in the future. They do address the videos point and they are going to set actual guidelines and stuff for the contributors to follow.

Hello all, we wanted to share an update with you on the recent incident with SirFoch

"We at Wargaming have further reviewed the incident of last Friday involving SirFoch and his ”Chrysler K GF rant" video, and we believe we could have handled the situation better. We strongly support our players', including our Community Contributors', right to speak critically about us and our games. At the same time, in the case of our Community Contributors, we ask that negative comments be made in a reasonably respectful, constructive manner, and SirFoch's video didn't do that. In turn, we acted too quickly when we threatened to have YouTube remove SirFoch's video through a copyright infringement complaint. We have apologized to SirFoch for making that threat, and we are continuing our conversation with him on next steps.

We're committed to doing a better job on this front. We're going to improve the way we communicate with our Community Contributors, and as part of that effort we will work with them on more detailed, specific guidelines for our Community Contributors to help ensure incidents like this don't happen again. We'll also be implementing a more thorough internal review process of our own potential actions which will be used in any future case where we have concerns that a Community Contributor has crossed the line in the language they use.

We love our players and our contributors – even the ones who don't always love us – and we are committed to using this case to grow and improve."

Also when asked about homophobic slurs...

May I ask about the alleged "homophobic slurs" (some of?) you guys mentioned?
We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims.

I don't even know anymore.

For anyone freaking out about Premium ammo: As an avid player (a little over 1000 hours in game), premium ammo is not straight up better in most cases than normal ammo. Compared to normal ammo, premium ammo provides higher armor...
It costs--either in time or money--more than regular ammo, for a reason I would think. Or are you saying that it doesn't matter if you use premium ammo, as there is no net incremental benefit over regular ammo worth paying for? They're selling ammo that performs worse in agreggate than regular ammo?

Top Bottom