• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus reaches 26.4 million subscribers as of March 31, 2017

bombshell

Sony bringing in the subscription dough. That's 26.4 million people still waiting for Knack on PS+...

Number is up from 20.8 million at the end of the previous fiscal year.

Below images and quote brought by Dualshockers.

More business talk in the link here: http://www.dualshockers.com/sony-st...em-playstation-plus-26-4-million-subscribers/

Interestingly, we also learn that PlayStation Plus had 26.4 million paying subscribers at the end of fiscal year 2016 (March 31st, 2017), out of over 70 million monthly active users.

Sony plans to further grow these numbers, and also enhancing the game line-up with launches like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Gran Turismo Sport.

Screenshot-5_23_2017-6_10_02-AM.jpg

Screenshot-5_23_2017-6_09_49-AM.jpg

Gestault

70+ million MAU on 78 million systems sounds would be mighty impressive, even for a relatively young and net-dependent device. It's a super rough and somewhat self-selecting figure, but that ratio of paying PS+ subscribers compared to overall MAU has to be something worth dancing in the streets over at Sony.

Edit: Dangit, forecasts. I smart.

Their goal is 78 million PS4s sold-in for the next fiscal year? Is that sold to consumers? Seems like a huge number--how many do they have now?

Freeman76

That number 2 bullet point pisses me off. The pro was a waste of money at the minute, too many games are coming out without support for it and Sony should be addressing this.

bombshell

70+ million MAU on 78 million systems sounds mighty impressive, even knowing that the device is relatively young and net-dependent.

78 million is the forecast for end of current fiscal year (end of March 2018).

60 million is the shipped PS4 number at the date of 70 million MAU.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
PS4s gonna cross 100 million with ease

BABY PLEASE!

Paertan

They recently hade free month for old subscribers and very cheap one month PS+ offer. I guess that bumped the number up a bit for this.

CEJames

Lmfaoooooooo

wait what are we laughing at

LMFAO!!!! OH MAN....hahaha..that's a good one.

I really want to be in on the joke.

Edit:
Don't mind him.

He thinks it's somehow funny that Sony can release MAU numbers (and subscription number in this thread) and Microsoft is made fun of when they do. He just ignores that the reason for being made fun of is that Microsoft ignores console sales while Sony always reveals PS4 console numbers.

Phew, thanks.

Rembrandt

Banned
Don't mind him.

He thinks it's somehow funny that Sony can release MAU numbers (and subscription number in this thread) and Microsoft is made fun of when they do. He just ignores that the reason for being made fun of is that Microsoft ignores console sales while Sony always reveals PS4 console numbers.

How about you quote me and talk directly than do this?

If you knew that, you would have seen my post where I explained how I'm not ignoring anything, that's just a shitty translucent excuse to praise one company while discrediting the other.

He thinks its hypocritical for people on this forum to not look down on MAU's since people do so in the NPD thread and a few others. Why? I don't know. NPD has nothing to do with MAU.

???

I don't think I've posted in any NPD topics this entire year so... Idk what you're talking about.

My bad for being one of the few Xbox fans that hasn't been driven off to just Xbox topics because of the obvious fanboyism in a lot of threads.

Seems kinda low considering what the subscription entails.

Contrary to popular belief, plenty do not subscribe to Gold/PS+.

Sony and MS have no revealed historical Gold/PS+ subs at detail, but anecdotally based off my observation and research of when Sony started sharing details about PS+ subs...

My personal guess was that at around 2013, despite having 70+ million PS3s, PS+ had less than 3 million subscribers.

The CEO of WarGaming has said in previous interviews that he dislikes not being able to monetize around 30+ million non-Gold accounts with World of Tanks. This was around when Xbox Live had around 45-50 million accounts across Silver/Gold. That means that 60% of Xbox owners had no Gold account.

Midas

Don't mind him.

Haha. People are amazing. When they don't mention sold units, we can make fun of them as well.

Don't mind him.

Lmao

Sony and MS have no revealed historical Gold/PS+ subs at detail, but anecdotally based off my observation and research of when Sony started sharing details about PS+ subs...

My personal guess was that at around 2013, despite having 70+ million PS3s, PS+ had less than 3 million subscribers.

The CEO of WarGaming has said in previous interviews that he dislikes not being able to monetize around 30+ million non-Gold accounts with World of Tanks. This was around when Xbox Live had around 45-50 million accounts across Silver/Gold. That means that 60% of Xbox owners had no Gold account.

Ahh that's interesting.
A lot of my casual irl mates don't bother with PS+.

They just play their odd SP game in COD, Witcher 3 or Horizon etc and don't even miss multiplayer gaming.

72c.jpg

Linkyn

I can see those numbers for the PS3 offer, as it was a much more niche deal. I suppose I just assumed that a majority of people bought consoles for multiplayer these days.

Fisty

Haha. People are amazing. When they don't mention sold units, we can make fun of them as well.

GAF did back in the early PS3 days when they didn't release sales numbers, alot. But nah hivemind of fanboys explains it easier

bombshell

If you knew that, you would have seen my post where I explained how I'm not ignoring anything, that's just a shitty translucent excuse to praise one company while discrediting the other.

Microsoft sweeping console sales numbers under the rug this gen is the primary reason for people being down on them only talking about MAU. That's a fact based on the talk in every single Microsoft financial thread this gen.

Sony was made fun of last gen on this board when they didn't reveal PS3 console numbers. I'm sorry that making fun of Microsoft doing the same this gen has taken its toll on you.

???

I don't think I've posted in any NPD topics this entire year so... Idk what you're talking about.

Its a combination of a number of different things though. Its about how MS combines Windows 10 users into their MAU figures and uses their MAU figures as a smokescreen to further obfuscate their actual sales data. MAU has basically become a tool for MS' PR as opposed to being the genuinely useful information that it should be. Their use/abuse of it is what people deride and make fun of not the stat itself.

My bad for being one of the few Xbox fans that haven't been driven off to just Xbox topics because of the obvious fanboyism in a lot of threads.

Well it might help if you didn't purposefully pick fights in threads detailing a competitor's performance in the market. You are of course free to post your thoughts but just posting "LMFAO" or shouting "bias" constantly only makes people treat you with disdain. Maybe try discussing your points respectfully instead of assuming and belligerently proclaiming everyone else's intent and you won't have such a bad experience.

Not a bad number.

I'm glad they gave out the number.

Has Microsoft ever given out the number of PAID Live subs?

I don't believe they have. Would certainly be nice to have though just to see what sort of conversion rate they have from their often touted MAU figures. Another missing piece of context missing that would make the MAU stat much more useful for analysis.

NolbertoS

I can see those numbers for the PS3 offer, as it was a much more niche deal I suppose I just assumed that a majority of people bought consoles for multiplayer these days.

I buy consoles for mostly single player experience or 2 player co-op. For FPS that is better playing with bigger groups, PC all the way, although I play Halo on Xbone

GHG

Gold Member

???

My bad for being one of the few Xbox fans that hasn't been driven off to just Xbox topics because of the obvious fanboyism in a lot of threads.

What are you even talking about? What was the purpose of your first post in this thread? Something about a pot and a kettle being called back springs to mind.

One company is now offering full transparency while the other is pushing numbers that make things look favourable while hiding other numbers in order to keep shareholders on side.

Rembrandt

Banned
Microsoft sweeping console sales numbers under the rug this gen is the primary reason for people being down on them only talking about MAU. That's a fact based on the talk in every single Microsoft financial thread this gen.

Sony was made fun of last gen on this board when they didn't reveal PS3 console numbers. I'm sorry that making fun of Microsoft doing the same this gen has taken its toll on you.

Because MS is transitioning to services. You know, like Adobe. Like MS is doing with Office and even Windows at times. It's the way the entire company is moving. If they're releasing details their stockholders want it know, then they're doing their job.

How can you say MAU is a terrible metric one day and then be giddy over the same metric you just called terrible because now Sony has a high number with it? It's obvious hypocrisy.

But sure, compare it to 2007/08, a somewhat different gaming landscape where multiple game developers weren't too concerned about extending the life of their game if they were profitable enough from the start to a me a sequel.

Chobel

Not bad, but I was expecting more since MP games are the most played games.

EDIT: lol at Rembrandt meltdown.

Top Bottom