• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good bottled water brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

I've been using filtered tap water for the last ~8 years. I used to drink a lot of bottled water before I realized how unnecessary, costly, and wasteful it was. If the drinking water where you live is unsafe, then by all means. Otherwise there's really no reason - buy a nice water bottle and fill up at home. I like to refrigerate water in a filtered jug, it gets really cold that way and tastes as good if not better than most bottled water I've had. I think people that literally only drink bottled water are in danger of not consuming enough water every day, you shouldn't be limiting yourself like that.

ZOONAMI

Why don't you use your own water bottle and tap water?

Get a Brita pitcher or tank or sink built in sink filter.

Are we serious with the pH stuff in here? Lol.

Neptonic

giphy.gif

kimmy schmidt is the best

Liberty4all

Banned
Why don't you use your own water bottle and tap water?

Get a Brita pitcher or tank or sink built in sink filter.

Are we serious with the pH stuff in here? Lol.

Um yes?

There is a huge taste difference between acidic water (Ph balance under 7), neutral water (Ph balance of 7) and alkaline water (Ph balance above 7).

Alkaline water in particular had been argued to help alleviate symptoms of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and GERD (acid reflux).

Personally I've been drinking alkaline bottled water for years due to GERD. I guess I could buy the pills that Alkalize the water, but I enjoy the different taste profiles of various regions. Evian, Eska, Fiji, Happy Water, etc... They all come from different pure sources (spring, esker, underground, etc) and all have different tastes due to mineral content.

grmlin

You buy bottled water to boil? What

sorry for the late reply.

The water is very hard where I live, and it's actually cheaper and less work to buy Volvic (which is very soft and perfect for espresso/coffee machines) than decalcifying the machine all the time.

I usually drink tap water that is filtered and run through my fridge. However, in the last 8 or so years, the main water line that runs through my neighborhood has broke in 3 different locations. The dwp quickly comes and fixes the problem, but then you have brown water coming out of the sink for a while. I'm pretty sure the line will break somewhere else soon.
So now I do 50/50 bottled and tap.
Yes, I can taste the difference. Overall I like Fiji when it comes to bottled water.

BigDes

I have to buy water in large 4 galling bottles because the tap water isn't safe to drink here.

I am in awe at some of nonsense being spouted in this thread.

Liberty4all

Banned
Taste profiles...

Jettison me from this planet

Bottled waters from different regions of the world have different tastes due to both mineral composition as well as acidity versus alkalinity.

It's like wine, tea or coffee, you have either developed a taste palate or you haven't.

Dehnus

Where can I preorder?

That's the beauty of it! It is already out!

Unless you live in a state with a Republican infestation, sorry. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the state's immune system can get rid of them before it's too late.

But otherwise? Just go to your local "Kitchen" water reseller, and find the water dispenser. There also almost NEVER is a line. It is that awesome. Tap is a great brand, and should be available in the whole world. Invest in Tap, by giving to charities that provide Tap in third world countries. So they too can have this delicious drink at competitive and reasonable prices.

:). Did you know it can be used for irrigation too? It has what plants crave! And it's not electrolytes :).

Zojirushi

Is all tap water drinkable in the US? Because I remember when I was on vacation in Los Angeles and tried drinking from the Hotel tap water it tasted like straight out of a swimming pool. It was awful.

jts

...hate me...
Is all tap water drinkable in the US? Because I remember when I was on vacation in Los Angeles and tried drinking from the Hotel tap water it tasted like straight out of a swimming pool. It was awful.
Nah bro it's all the same it's all H2O stay woke.

Alternative science (aka never went past the first chemistry lesson).

Bulbasaur

Banned
If you don't live in the 3rd World (or some places in the US) and you regularly buy bottled water, my personal opinion is you're a lazy idiot who's fallen for manufactured demand.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Just buy the cheapest one you can get your hands on, unless your tapwater is drinkable, in which case drink that.

Blind tests have shown people cannot tell the difference between perrier/evian/whatever, and decent tapwater out of a hose.

velociraptor

The tap water at my own house is pretty good. It tastes very refreshing.

I hate buying bottled water because it uses up so much plastic and takes up so much space in the trash.

I drink 3 litres of bottled water every day (2 1.5l bottles). Over the course of a week, that's a shit ton of bottles.

Mendrox

Interesting thread cause at my workplace we replaced bottled water with a new machine that can give you selterz, cold drinks etc and perfectly filtered. The filter just has to be replaced every few weeks. Reason was that our company supported StifungWarentest (same as the consumer report for the US) with an article and research about different bottled waters and there were quiet big differences. Funny though that the expensive brands were less good than the cheap ones.

I'm lucky to live in a place that has cheap nice tasting bottled water as well as having clean tap water. That being said I don't mind "shelling out" for perrier as I quite enjoy the carbonation and random flavours they have.

Dehnus

Bottled waters from different regions of the world have different tastes due to both mineral composition as well as acidity versus alkalinity.

It's like wine, tea or coffee, you have either developed a taste palate or you haven't.

Just add some Lemon juice (you can get it at the story without any lemon flavour in it even) to get it to be more acidic to your taste. And there are plenty of options with minerals as well. There is no need to put more plastic in our oceans simply because you make yourself believe that certain waters are "special!".

Yes there can be a taste difference, mostly with how hard or soft the water is (calcium mostly). But it is minute, and not worth the hassle of eating fish with tiny granules of plastic in them or giving animals horrible slow deaths by undigested plastic in their stomachs!

That is not even putting into account the energy required to bottle all that generic water. And not even taking into account that trucks need to deliver all that bottled water to your store!

Water can go via pipelines far cheaper and efficient than any truck can deliver it. Same with irrigation. Irrigation is fine, but you don't put out a lawn in the middle of the desert, that is simply wasteful and not needed. Rather than buying bottled water or having a lawn in Las Vegas? Donate that money to charities that help bringing water to areas where there are no pipelines yet or were people can't afford the infrastructure.

Or even worse, where it has been privatized and collecting rainwater has been deemed illegal (like in some South American Countries, where US corporations made it illegal to collect rainwater! I KID YOU NOT! https://jamesptaylor.wordpress.com/2007/11/29/bolivia-bechtel-and-the-fight-for-public-water/
http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx (Evenin the USA it seems!) ).

Help out the people in Flint so they can get normal tap water again, by getting those damn Republicans out of office there! Help out people in Afrika by giving to charities that help make water wells and fight climate change that dries out what used to be green fertile areas. Stop buying Oil products from Shell, as they poisoned Nigeria and the water supply there.

But all with all, stop buying bottled water unless you need it (like when you live in Flint or another country/state where the tap water is contaminated or not available). That money is better spend on different things.

I know this is preachy, I just really am starting to get prissy about how Coca Cola and big corporations are able to capitalize what is a basic necessity and for all living things!

snap0212

Just add some Lemon juice (you can get it at the story without any lemon flavour in it even) to get it to be more acidic to your taste. And there are plenty of options with minerals as well. There is no need to put more plastic in our oceans simply because you make yourself believe that certain waters are "special!".

Yes there can be a taste difference, mostly with how hard or soft the water is (calcium mostly). But it is minute, and not worth the hassle of eating fish with tiny granules of plastic in them or giving animals horrible slow deaths by undigested plastic in their stomachs!

That is not even putting into account the energy required to bottle all that generic water. And not even taking into account that trucks need to deliver all that bottled water to your store!

Water can go via pipelines far cheaper and efficient than any truck can deliver it. Same with irrigation. Irrigation is fine, but you don't put out a lawn in the middle of the desert, that is simply wasteful and not needed. Rather than buying bottled water or having a lawn in Las Vegas? Donate that money to charities that help bringing water to areas where there are no pipelines yet or were people can't afford the infrastructure.

Or even worse, where it has been privatized and collecting rainwater has been deemed illegal (like in some South American Countries, where US corporations made it illegal to collect rainwater! I KID YOU NOT! https://jamesptaylor.wordpress.com/2007/11/29/bolivia-bechtel-and-the-fight-for-public-water/
http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx (Evenin the USA it seems!) ).

Help out the people in Flint so they can get normal tap water again, by getting those damn Republicans out of office there! Help out people in Afrika by giving to charities that help make water wells and fight climate change that dries out what used to be green fertile areas. Stop buying Oil products from Shell, as they poisoned Nigeria and the water supply there.

But all with all, stop buying bottled water unless you need it (like when you live in Flint or another country/state where the tap water is contaminated or not available). That money is better spend on different things.

I know this is preachy, I just really am starting to get prissy about how Coca Cola and big corporations are able to capitalize what is a basic necessity and for all living things!
is it uncommon for water to be bottled locally where you are? Mine comes in glass bottles and was bottled 10km from my place.

Dehnus

is it uncommon for water to be bottled locally where you are? Mine comes in glass bottles and was bottled 10km from my place.

Like said, it's still extra steps in the process when there is a pipeline to your house in most places. And the extra plastic is just idiotic. Also glass is not that bio degradable either, reusing glass is easier though, but you'd be amazed at how much glass gets just thrown away rather than reused :( .

So why not go into your kitchen, get a mug, get some water, and add lemonjuice, calcium or other flavour makers to your taste? :).

Also remember to give your local water company representative a big hug. He does a great job for very little money in most cases :). Efficient too :). Unless you have a Republican infestation, in which case. I'm sorry.

And yes I consider the Republicans in Michigan an infestation/illness to that state. They damage the state, the people and nature like a virus damages a living thing. And all to support their own parasitic and destructive way of living... much like a virus.

It has nothing to do with left or right in government, but with corrupt virus like politicians that are only caring about their own lifestyle.

broony

I fucking hate the waste of plastic. I often go to some really remote coastlines and they are covered in fucking plastic. No need for bottled water unless local supply is unsafe. But even then there are tablets for that shit. Such a stupid fucking trend in 1st world countries.

KorrZ

As others have said, Brita filter eliminates the need for bottled water pretty much entirely.

Invest in a Brita pitcher and you're good to go.

snap0212

I fucking hate the waste of plastic. I often go to some really remote coastlines and they are covered in fucking plastic. No need for bottled water unless local supply is unsafe. But even then there are tablets for that shit. Such a stupid fucking trend in 1st world countries.
They should charge a deposit for the bottle. Way easier to introduce a deposit for every container a beverage can come in than to tell people that they should just not buy the bottled water.

broony

They should charge a deposit for the bottle. Way easier to introduce a deposit for every container a beverage can come in than to tell people that they should just not buy the bottled water.

Or just ban bottled water in 'developed' countries.

broony

Water in bottles is not the problem, though.

If people buy a proper, reusable bottle / container, you are cutting down massively as opposed to using a regular shop bought bottle, that maybe you get a small deposit back on, as the deposit is likely going to be so small, that many will say fuck it and throw it away anyway.

There will though be large amount of people, who are using bottles at home, whether they are reused or not, that are not needed, people have other shit in their homes they can drink from.

snap0212

If people buy a proper, reusable bottle / container, you are cutting down massively as opposed to using a regular shop bought bottle, that maybe you get a small deposit back on, as the deposit is likely going to be so small, that many will say fuck it and throw it away anyway.
People don't just throw it away. There are a lot of countries where there's a small deposit (25 Euro cents in Germany, for example) per can or plastic bottle and people do return them. Hell, it made the cities cleaner as well as people will walk around and collect empty bottles instead of throwing them in the trash. People will even put their bottles next to the garbage can so someone who wants to make some money collecting them won't have to deal with the bottles buried under real trash.

It's a very good thing and it's not just water bottles. It's every single container that can be recycled. People will not stop buying bottled beverages be it Pepsi or water but they will return them if it makes sense.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I want water the with the Italian designer feel to it like it was brewed inside a Ferrari engine and filtered through mink fur and sprinkled with trace amounts of the purest cocaine. Gotta be expensive as fuck. Please advise, GAF...

ty_hot

Vichy Catalan is the supreme carbonated water, only available in Catalunya probably though. I also enjoyed drinking a Lithuanian water that I dont remember the name. All other taste the same for me, including the expensive Perrier and Evian...

I also liked drinking water from Caxambu-Brazil, straight from the font. Never seen those on sale outside of Brazil even though they are known for their superior quality (2nd best in the world once).

Anarion07

Despite some people here claiming there is no difference, there actually is.

When I worked out more I drank around 5 liters of water a day.

Only drinking stuff like Evian which has barely any electrolytes in it is not the best way to go in that situation (Volvic for example is really really low on minerals). I drank mostly tap water (which is amazing here in Munich, far more electrolytes than a lot of bottled waters) and sometimes a bottle of Gerolsteiner, because it tastes good.

https://www.mineralienrechner.de/vergleichstabelle-gerolsteiner-mineralienrechner/898.html

Here's a comparison tool for German bottled waters, don't know if it's available in English

Nose Master

Tap water in my area is safe, so that. Besides, bottled water is a fucking hassle. I'd kill like 5-6 of them a day easy, and you'd definitely notice how wasteful you're being after a few days of that.

All I know is that my school has aquafina and it tastes like garbage. That plus dasani a no go for me unless it's the only option.

Also don't bee fooled by that new lifewtr stuff the bottles are really cool but it's literally just aquafina.

Go to a farm with a well about 400 feet or more in depth. If it's below a clay layer, even better. Grab water straight from a garden spigot, no filtration. Drink it, and thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom