• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
meme said:
This CAN'T be official, how the hell Disney would make this, they never made anything remotely similar.

Actually they have in a way, Look up the Haunted Mansion Comic series By SLG. It was a dark comic series in which the stories and art were done by many Goth/indie/disturbed comic artists.

Also while not as dark they did produce Gargoyles the animated series.

dyls

It might have been interesting if every other fucking game this gen wasn't mired in the same post-apocalyptic brown and gray dreariness. I can't wait for gaming to grow up enough to stop being afraid of color, and happiness.

Odyssey

Banned
dyls said:
It might have been interesting if every other fucking game this gen wasn't mired in the same post-apocalyptic brown and gray dreariness. I can't wait for gaming to grow up enough to stop being afraid of color, and happiness.
Kinda agreed, but the artwork is pretty bad regardless.

dyls said:

tenritsu

Banned
dyls said:

Hooray for bitching before game screens are even up.

Syril

HUELEN10 said:
That's nothing, take a look at this!
http://i32.tinypic.com/1568uc6.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't know, I could imagine Donald Duck murdering Goofy long before Mickey Mouse committing suicide.

CamHostage

Acosta said:
It´s just conceptual art, if you want to try to figure the story, setting and the end of the game with some pics, do it, but don't think that will lead to any accurate opinion of what is going on.

Yeah, that's REAL important to remember. This isn't necessarily the game, this is concept art, and concept art specifically (I believe) to test the bounds of how far the design team can go with the darkness and the twistedness without it not feeling like a Disney product anymore? You go as crazy as you can in the concept stage and then sit back with all of your art and say, "I like this as a general direction, I like this aspect of this drawing but don't think this other part is appropriate, I like the idea behind this but think we should tone it down or use it sparingly, I think this is way over the top and should be avoided...", etc. You want all of those ideas to have been generated when you make a project like this, even if you throw away a good portion of them it's still a good exercise to have explored.

(Also, this is one artist's work, often one artist will specialize in certain types of art while other artists will explore entirely different avenues of design. The final is them settled upon and becomes the guide model by the art director.)

HUELEN10

U K Narayan said:
Is this being developed on the Source engine? I remember hearing that Junction Point was working on a game using it.
If so, does that mean it would be the first Wii game to use said engine?

Haunted

HUELEN10 said:
That's nothing, take a look at this!
1568uc6.jpg
:O

madara

14 pages? Someone have a summary please? Just bitching or is there more information then the first post from OP?

wsippel

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Is this being developed on the Source engine? I remember hearing that Junction Point was working on a game using it.
There were reports four years ago about Junction Point licensing Source. I talked to a guy at Valve Developer Relations last year, and they didn't officially support Wii as a target, even though he believed a capable team could port the engine if they were inclined to.

madara said:
14 pages? Someone have a summary please? Just bitching or is there more information then the first post from OP?

Wii only. Various concept art throughout the pages. Looks incredible.

Oh and Odyssey is a Junior and a joke.

Shiggy

madara said:

People posted concept art from a Junction Point Wii exclusive game which is codenamed "Epic Mickey". Concept art was found on former employees' portfolios which means that they broke their NDA and get into some trouble now. In addition, many posters became angry after they saw that this is a Wii exclusive.

Odyssey

Banned
Knee-jerk reaction: you have a Pokemon Avatar.

But yeah go after the poster, not the opinion. Your maturity seems suited for this dark, extreme Mickey. God forbid you would need to develop any sort of communication skill to defend something!

Shiggy

wsippel said:
There were reports four years ago about Junction Point licensing Source. I talked to a guy at Valve Developer Relations last year, and they didn't officially support Wii as a target, even though he believed a capable team could port the engine if they were inclined to.

That was when they were to deliver a game for Steam...never happened though.

U K Narayan said:

I don't think this is the same game. The game that was (still is?) being developed on the Source engine was suppose to be episodic and distributed (exclusively?) through Steam.

Ehh I'm not seeing how this is supposed to be "dark" and "extreme". It's clearly a different take but it doesn't mean anything aside from offering a different style than what we've come to expect.

Vinci said:
Also, this thread is only 7 pages.

For the people who value their sanity it's 14 pages.

Odyssey said:
Knee-jerk reaction: you have a Pokemon Avatar.

But yeah go after the poster, not the opinion. Your maturity seems suited for this dark, extreme Mickey.

There's a difference if you just posted you're opinion, stated why, and left it at that. Of course you will have people go after you for it...but this is the internet.

Its another thing when you just troll the thread post after post when it becomes something that is no longer adding to the discussion of the game but just acting like...well a Junior.

Odyssey

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
Its another thing when you just troll the thread post after post when it becomes something that is no longer adding to the discussion of the game but just acting like...well a Junior.
Membership status is temporary, bad art is forever.

Splatt

The concept art looks great. It really makes you wonder what kind of world they are building. Hopefully, it isn't cancelled.

Odyssey

Banned
To say I'm trolling is pretty rude, I'm pretty sure I've backed up my argument and I haven't seen a response legitimately defending this artwork outside of name calling and ban threats. But whatever, I shouldn't play the victim card.

Odyssey said:
To say I'm trolling is pretty rude, I'm pretty sure I've been backing up my argument and I haven't seen a response legitimately defending this artwork outside of name calling and ban threats!

Because you seem to think "this art is juvenile" is an argument worth having. And you also seem to think subjectivity can be backed up in a meaningful way. And you are presenting your "argument" in pretty much the most obnoxious way possible, in a preening fashion.

Running up to people who are excited about a product screaming "THIS IS SHIT WHY DO YOU LIKE SHIT THIS IS FOREVER BAD GOD THIS FUCKING SUCKS" and demanding a response won't win you friends anywhere.

Vinci

Danish
Odyssey said:
To say I'm trolling is pretty rude, I'm pretty sure I've backed up my argument and I haven't seen a response legitimately defending this artwork outside of name calling and ban threats. But whatever, I shouldn't play the victim card.

I haven't noticed a mod threatening you with a ban. All they've been doing is warning you about your behavior and that it routinely gets people banned around here. Personally, I don't mind that you dislike these images; I don't see how anyone could be 100% positive on them at this point.

At any rate, it would probably be best to just ignore the rest of us and go on with your life.

Odyssey

Banned
TheSonicRetard said:
Because you seem to think "this art is juvenile" is an argument worth having. And you also seem to think subjectivity can be backed up in a meaningful way. And you are presenting your "argument" in pretty much the most obnoxious way possible, in a preening fashion.

Running up to people who are excited about a product screaming "THIS IS SHIT WHY DO YOU LIKE SHIT THIS IS FOREVER BAD GOD THIS FUCKING SUCKS" and demanding a response won't win you friends anywhere.
Discussion on art is a argument worth having, especially in an industry that is suffering from bad art. Also, there are businesses built on subjectivity. It's also pretty obnoxious when someone disregards what you have to say because of your post count. It's pretty obnoxious when people downright refuse to defend what they like and instead make a petty attack on the person himself.

The fuck is your problem?
I was making a joke, I have a Dragon Quest slime for an avatar.

Splatt

It's clear you don't like the art, Odyssey, but why do you keep harrasing other members by forcing your opinion down their throats?

Eteric Rice

I like it because it takes something that is normally bright and cheerfull, and turns it into something a bit creepy. Just from the concept art you can tell that something went horribly wrong in the Disney world.

I'm willing to bet that the player is going to have to restore the world. Similar to Okami.

I hope that it's still in development.

I don't find the artwork to be juvenile. At first glance yes post-apocalyptic representations of iconic Disney imagery are bound to turn heads but to me at least it's pretty clear the direction the artists are going for is something more abstract and mysterious. It's dark certainly but it's also more than that. It shows change and adaptation to new surroundings while keeping the wonder we usually associate with the world of Disney.

If it was juvenile it would probably involve Mickey getting a shotgun and an eyepatch while Donald goes out seeking vengeance against Goofy for murdering Hewey, Dewey, and Louie. Oh and their outfits would probably be leather and maybe they'll even grow horns and spikes along their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom