• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Prelude.

I blame Mercy, when she's popular the game's just miserable with how res works/how you're supposed to counter it.
Hopefully she'll be fisted away from next week.

dhlt25

I blame Mercy, when she's popular the game's just miserable with how res works/how you're supposed to counter it.
Hopefully she'll be fisted away from next week.

yep, i know it's not a problem with stacked team or diamond-master play but solo queue plat/gold she really is a bummer.

Anne

If you think it's Dive meta killing this game you're gonna be in for a surprise when people keep quitting. It's not just this meta, it's the fact you don't have a lot of options in any general patch cycle to make things happen. That and your influence as a mechanical player doesn't exist anymore.

If you have the time check out this scrim between the Korean World Cup team and Kongdoo Uncia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...live_team_south_korea_vs_kongdoo_uncia_scrim/

They claim that they have found the counter to dive using a comp played by a Chinese team in the Nexus Cup (Rein/Zarya/Reaper/Tracer) and their own version (Rein/Zarya/Junkrat/McCree). This was all done on live servers and NOT PTR, so this is without the buffs to Rein, Zarya, McCree, and Reaper.

I understand the zarya and reaper. Zarya can beat Dva cause she goes through matrix, and Reaper shuts winston down (especially a good reaper).

Rein is so busted tho, and Junkrat...wtf.....Maybe it's the traps. Traps are annoying against a dive character
`
This is interesting...I want to see it against a better team. Kongdoo Uncia are good but they aren't the cream of the Crop of Korea.

After the RH nerf I sort of migrated back to Zarya and I must say, she's still super fun and satisfying even in this meta. Nothing in the game feels better than being fully charged or bubbling a would be death.

I understand the zarya and reaper. Zarya can beat Dva cause she goes through matrix, and Reaper shuts winston down (especially a good reaper).

Rein is so busted tho, and Junkrat...wtf.....Maybe it's the traps. Traps are annoying against a dive character
`
This is interesting...I want to see it against a better team. Kongdoo Uncia are good but they aren't the cream of the Crop of Korea.

Yeah, it's a puzzlement, all right. Junk spam at the healers, trap up for Tracer, while Zarya bubbles Rein as he swings away to get her juiced up quickly?

Someone important was talking about Dive, and how you have about 5 seconds after you go in to secure a kill, or your attack will probably fail. Maybe this gets you that 5 seconds? I still don't see what Rein is doing when the bubble's down, though. Besides dying, that is.

`

Rein is fixed on PTR and his swing speed got buffed. Although he is still weak versus dive he is still essential for protecting the team. Junkrat puts out a ton of damage really quickly, but I don't know if he will be able to hold up in the comp with more practice.

The team that invented the comp did beat Runaway and Uncia in actual matches, and apparently it wasn't close either. I wish I could watch them but I don't know where to find them lol

kurahador

Man they seriously need to nerf Mercy's ult charge rate. Playing attack on Volskaya and the enemy decides to go aggressive, her ult fully charged in 10 seconds.

LiK

Rein is fixed on PTR and his swing speed got buffed. Although he is still weak versus dive he is still essential for protecting the team. Junkrat puts out a ton of damage really quickly, but I don't know if he will be able to hold up in the comp with more practice.

The team that invented the comp did beat Runaway and Uncia in actual matches, and apparently it wasn't close either. I wish I could watch them but I don't know where to find them lol

Junk needs to basically catch players with traps and the team needs to focus on them quickly to take them out. If he could stay alive and keep dropping traps, it can quite annoying to enemy teams in a fight but it's tricky with current meta. I'm wary of using him in the first point on Defense these days.

This wasn't on PTR, so we're talking janky Rein.

Do you know the name of the team?

There might be a video of the match in this list: http://www.gosugamers.net/overwatch/teams/18655-runaway/matches

I am not responsible for any PS4 Gaf person who feels like giving up on the game after playing with me.

I'm not so sure about that.

Was watching a Japanese Zen player, with Japanese VO, on Twitch. Man, Zen's voice is really deep, and when he Discords someone, it is ominious-sounding as fuck. Like, whoever got that orb is going to die, slowly and painfully. And Zen is going to be there to watch, unblinking, as you bleed out.

Plus I was hearing a character with a super high-pitched voice, whiny and hysterical. I thought, "Wow, Junkrat is super annoying in Japanese." But nope, it's Lucio. Poor guy.

Check that, it WAS Junkrat, and he is Majima from Yakuza at his most unhinged level of annoying. I'm not sure I could play him with Japanese VO, it's that bad.

MCD

Screenshot_20170725-085135.png

Dat 50/50 or close to it winrate. This game is addiction.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
1st game DPS struggling to get picks on 2nd point of Horizon Lunar Colony. lose
2nd game two players switch to Torb and Bastion when we were winning because ???? lose
3rd game 3 stack of memers who were basically throwing. Almost draw, but lose.

86 SR gone, there's just no way for me to climb this shit cause the moment I get up I get roped into this shit.

leng jai

2nd game two players switch to Torb and Bastion when we were winning because ???? lose

86 SR gone, there's just no way for me to climb this shit cause the moment I get up I get roped into this shit.

Basically. I'm still stuck at between 850-950 SR after a month despite feeling like I'm getting better constantly. Solo queue is an utter waste of time.

MCD

Do you know what I did? Played so much till I added not one but three Mercy mains. Now I almost only play with them.

Also kids are really good at this game so go to team chat and if you find any good players kids or not add them. I swear I get carried all the time by kids lol

Tales from PS4 Comp

Got matched with this same duo 3 games in a row, one gold player and one diamond, the gold player was ~2100 SR and has only ever played Bastion on that account. Like 89 hours of Bastion only. We never had a team comp that supported him and he was pretty terrible so it felt like playing 5v6.

Got matched into a game with two Mercy OTPs which I don't really see alot of. The one Mercy begged the other to let her play Mercy saying she really doesn't know how play anyone else. Beggar Mercy ends up picking Junkrat just dies in every engagement. Our team was really nice and one of our teammates was coaching her on positioning and how to use abilities but we had no chance of winning the match.

Schlep

Had a fairly good night with Symmetra. Always fun to hear DPS characters whining about me throwing the game while I have gold elims and damage.

Cappa

Banned
If you think it's Dive meta killing this game you're gonna be in for a surprise when people keep quitting. It's not just this meta, it's the fact you don't have a lot of options in any general patch cycle to make things happen. That and your influence as a mechanical player doesn't exist anymore.

its funny you mention this because this has been my feelings with Overwatch over the past month.. I went from playing this regularly, to occasionally, to barely at all.

I think they need to make a drastic change somewhere, adding Doomfist certainly isn't it. I think they need to improve Competitive somehow, perhaps add more game modes... I dont know I just feel like alot of people feel the same because I never see any of the regulars I play with play anymore.

Being summer is also a reason, of course, but its definitely not the main one.

Veelk

Banned
I would add a competitive team deathmatch mode.

Nah, all they need is an Unranked mode.

Something that isn't designed to punish you for fucking up, but is nevertheless something you should try to win.

The biggest problem with Overwatch for me right now is that my choices of playing are either Quickplay, which is a complete dumpster fire of a mode where more than half your games are automatically won/lost because some people don't try. At all.

Like, I cannot go a two games without seeing a Widowmaker. Usually by either someone obviously cheating with a M/KB or just failing horribly because fuck you for making a console impotent hero blizzard.

Alternatively, I play competitive, where I can either only play the select group of heroes I'm good at, or I can lose and go fuck myself. I've been in Platinum, Diamond, Gold, and Silver, and I can tell you there is a distinct degree of quality of matches between those ranks. You are punished for playing badly, so I don't feel I can play with any character except ones I know I can handle, or only ones that are ideally situated for something. That's complete bullshit.

I should not have to choose between either a bastardized and broken version of the game due to player indifference or a hardcore mode that doesn't allow to play for fun, only to win. I am so sick of getting 1 good game in 4, if I'm lucky.

PatjuhR

Nah, all they need is an Unranked mode.

Something that isn't designed to punish you for fucking up, but is nevertheless something you should try to win.

The biggest problem with Overwatch for me right now is that my choices of playing are either Quickplay, which is a complete dumpster fire of a mode where more than half your games are automatically won/lost because some people don't try. At all.

Like, I cannot go a two games without seeing a Widowmaker. Usually by either someone obviously cheating with a M/KB or just failing horribly because fuck you for making a console impotent hero blizzard.

Alternatively, I play competitive, where I can either only play the select group of heroes I'm good at, or I can lose and go fuck myself. I've been in Platinum, Diamond, Gold, and Silver, and I can tell you there is a distinct degree of quality of matches between those ranks. You are punished for playing badly, so I don't feel I can play with any character except ones I know I can handle, or only ones that are ideally situated for something. That's complete bullshit.

I should not have to choose between either a bastardized and broken version of the game due to player indifference or a hardcore mode that doesn't allow to play for fun, only to win. I am so sick of getting 1 good game in 4, if I'm lucky.

I like playing objectives way more than the idea of Team Deathmatch, so I won't play TDM myself, but my hope is that a Team Deathmatch mode will lure the people who play QP for the heck of it away from QP.

So then the choice for you goes from " a broken version of the game due to player indifference or a hardcore mode that doesn't allow to play for fun, only to win" to choosing between the hardcore no fun mode or a fun version of it.

I want the indifferent people to play TDM.

Veelk

Banned
I like playing objectives way more than the idea of Team Deathmatch, so I won't play TDM myself, but my hope is that a Team Deathmatch mode will lure the people who play QP for the heck of it away from QP.

So then the choice for you goes from " a broken version of the game due to player indifference or a hardcore mode that doesn't allow to play for fun, only to win" to choosing between the hardcore no fun mode or a fun version of it.

I want the indifferent people to play TDM.

Yeah, that's another way.

I don't care how they do it. Just make it possible to play a normal game without having to stick your neck out.

I-hate-u

I've seen so many posts in these forums accusing us of both sides of the coin; that we only balance around casuals and that we only balance around pros.

Both are tremendous oversimplifications of what our thought process is. We feel responsible for all aspects of the game. And when we talk about balance changes we spend a lot of time discussing the ramifications at all levels of play. We're not blind to either side of the game and we will continue to represent both as well. Some decisions will be more targeted towards one group or another -- but always with deep consideration for what that means to the other side

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758226064?page=2#post-33

Basically status quo. If they are focused on making competitive and pro play successful, they have to pool information only from those modes/gameplay. Good luck trying to make everyone happy with 1 universal balance patches that addresses casual, ladder and pro all together.

Manoko

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758226064?page=2#post-33

Basically status quo. If they are focused on making competitive and pro play successful, they have to pool information only from those modes/gameplay. Good luck trying to make everyone happy with 1 universal balance patches that addresses casual, ladder and pro all together.

Fuck balancing for casuals. Long ago on the WoW forums, Kaplain (IIRC) said it best when someone complained about PvP being balanced based on top play:
"What, should we balance the game for mediocre players like you? What would that even look like?"

You can't balance a game on the assumption that people aren't good. It isn't a coherent notion because people are bad in various ways. You can only balance a game around the assumption of high-level play, and then hope players rise to that challenge. For example, at low levels of play like mine, Bastion is a terror. If a team picks Bastion/Torb/Symmetra that game is most likely going to result in a well-defended zone. But in high-level play that composition is trash. A player with a healthy mindset should come to know this and say "What should I be doing that I'm not?" And that's how players grow. If everything is fair at every level, it's just a shitshow.

TLDR bring back Roadhog, lol.

Fuck balancing for casuals. Long ago on the WoW forums, Kaplain (IIRC) said it best when someone complained about PvP being balanced based on top play:
"What, should we balance the game for mediocre players like you? What would that even look like?"

You can't balance a game on the assumption that people aren't good. It isn't a coherent notion because people are bad in various ways. You can only balance a game around the assumption of high-level play, and then hope players rise to that challenge. For example, at low levels of play like mine, Bastion is a terror. If a team picks Bastion/Torb/Symmetra that game is most likely going to result in a well-defended zone. But in high-level play that composition is trash. A player with a healthy mindset should come to know this and say "What should I be doing that I'm not?" And that's how players grow. If everything is fair at every level, it's just a shitshow.

Nah, if a game is decent it'll balanced for all levels of play. Characters only being good at a certain skill threshold either makes those characters a waste of a roster spot for a lot of players, or we get an army of Hanzos who cannot hit shit ruining matches.

I don't consider quickplay to be a level of play though, it just a mess.

This wasn't on PTR.

also, How can this counter Dive? Winston is SO OP in your words. He just can't be countered. He's just unstoppable!!!!

I know it wasn't PTR that's my point that the comp would get even stronger once it went to live.

Why are you bringing up month old arguments don't you have something better to do? And if I knew the next hero would counter Winston I wouldn't have pushed so hard for him to be nerfed.

Veelk

Banned

I don't really understand why balancing around high level play is supposed to be the only way to do it. People are bad in various ways, sure, but people are also good in various ways.

As per your example, how is it balanced if a composition is useless in high level play? If high skill balance is supposed to be the only real balance, then Bastion/Torb/Sym would be have to be viable there. You might counter that those characters are low skill characters so they should be trash...but they're specifically low mechanical skill characters. To use them effectively requires strong game sense in predicting and surprising enemy players rather than particularly strong aiming.

And that's the basic crux of the argument. Overwatch is specifically a game that is meant to be accepting of all sorts of gamers, low and high mechanical skill level. Characters like Symmetra and Winston are designed for just that, so people who can't aim can still contribute to the game through other kinds of skill. It just isn't the sort of game where a twitchy, precise aimer can dominate the entire game. And that's what makes it a bitch to actually balance. How much do value do you place on mechanical skill over other kinds of skill? How much do you isolate a characters utility to their roles?

I totally agree there is an argument to be made for "just git gud". But there is a limit to that argument. I've yet to see proof or even hear a solid reasoning why balancing solely around high level play all the way with no mind paid to lower levels is a good idea, especially when a lot of high level play is going to be using teamwork that isn't going to be present in lower levels, not through any lack of skill on the players part, but because a lot of people don't have mics to communicate or some people are simply never ever going to develop the kind of skill high players have. Bastion is an ]example of being a character being a terror and then later being a joke as you skill up. But that's a really extreme example. Something like Soldier's damage is more of an insidious problem. Soldier isn't overpowered in a big way and you can take him out with a lot of other characters, but he's powerful enough that he's got an edge on most characters, both through his damage and his very generous abilities. Mercy is another example. She's a low skill character that's rarely brought out in tournament play (usually only to help a Pharah) so you can easily say she's balanced, but she's still making the game hell because of her "Lol, hiros nevah dye!" BS because lower level players can't kill her easily enough. She's balanced for high level play, yet something still needs to be done about her for us scrubs to continue having fun.

Edit: Widowmaker is another one. She's so high skilled that she is effectively useless in all but the most mechanically talented of players. Even in protournaments in the best hands, she's only situational. And it's such a problem on consoles that the only people who can make use of her are m/kb cheaters. She may as well not be selectable until you hit Masters. That's not a balanced character to me at all.

So I'm hearing more and more about big streamers or pro players leaving Overwatch, either they have already or are threatening to. Do we have a list for that? I think I heard Taimou isn't happy with OW right now, and I remember Cody saying he wants to go back to CSGO solely because of dva.

I like a few ideas I've read here...TDM mode (not ranked)...Solo Q lobby for comp...Leavers Q for habitual fucking quitters.

Rate your teammates at the end of match would be cool as well...yes I'd play with them again, no I'd rather not. Maybe that could filter out the toxic and troll because reasons people.

Oh and mandatory kill feed on during comp, this is a must.

So many people don't even know it's a thing.

So I'm hearing more and more about big streamers or pro players leaving Overwatch, either they have already or are threatening to. Do we have a list for that? I think I heard Taimou isn't happy with OW right now, and I remember Cody saying he wants to go back to CSGO solely because of dva.

Streamers - DSPStanky, TimTheTatMan (Break until Doomfist), Seagull (Small break until Doomfist), Codey, maybe others because these are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Pro Players - None that are really notable. Biggest I can think of to truly quit recently was Locke, a flex support player for Rise Nation who said he was retiring about a day after Rise Nation disbanded. They were a pretty mediocre NA team though and he wasn't that good of a player in the first place.

Oh and Rapha who was the Lucio player for Team Liquid which is one of the best NA teams right now and he's one of the better Lucio players in NA. He left not because of Overwatch being bad, but because he is probably the best Quake player of all time and he's switching to Quake Champions.

Taimou has apparently become happier lately and I imagine things can only get better once the Doomfist patch comes in.

Will he be available immediately for comp though?

No he's disabled for a week. We already kind of know where the meta will be going in the short term thanks to pro scrims on the PTR. Prepare to see a lot more Zarya in the next patch (yay!).

I-hate-u

I think Taimou's situation was different. They were away from home living in a hotel in Korea for months, but he did express some balance issues to be fair.

I think Taimou's situation was different. They were away from home living in a hotel in Korea for months, but he did express some balance issues to be fair.

I think every western team that has gone to Korea for Apex has eventually hated staying there. I don't think any teams will miss it in the aftermath of no more western teams getting invited to Apex, even if for normal viewers like us Apex will be less fun to watch.

Top Bottom