• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Digital users! How large is your CMX library currently?

Im at 197 myself. I usually only buy digitally when the books I want are either hard to find in trades or OOP. I make the exception when I really want to read the books as they come out if I dont want to wait for the trades. Is it better to buy the single issues digitally than trade waiting for the books if they are on the verge of being cancelled? I would assume so but just wasnt sure if Marvel/DC factors digital sales when judging the popularity of a series.

Has anyone picked up Test Pattern the Hickman digital only collection?

https://www.comixology.com/Test-Pattern-Jonathan-Hickman-Collection/comics-series/7837?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

It collects some of his early Image work in one book and is only available digitally. Pax Romana seems to be the one everyone talks about, but I really enjoyed Red Wings when it was coming out and I really want to read the Nightly News series. Wish I had known about it before I used my 70% off coupon :( Although Id still rather pick it up in Hardcover.

Digital users! How large is your CMX library currently? I'm up to

A glorious 11 books lol. Literally just the last arc of Abe and BPRD, plus a HB winter special one shot.

Thanks for the info on Usagi guys, definitely taking that all onboard. It's something I'll get to eventually, and I'll definitely start from the beginning when I do, I don't think I could bring myself to start a book like this in the middle or anything, even though I totally believe it's welcoming.

I read through The Valiant. I have thoughts so I'll write something about it later but I thought it was great, both the writing and the art.

I haven't read it in that specific digital collection Vic, but I have read all of Hickman's Image stuff. Really great, TNN is def worth the read.

caliph95

This and the Drafthouse Wonder Woman Thread - Nerds were a mistake
giphy.gif

Sandfox

just can't get into a young jean book yet

i feel like the people who didn't get back on amazing spidey for years after OMD, even when it had been good for a while...bendis is gonna go full cleremont one day and we're stuck with the remnants of his inability to carry team books. i don't care about the younger x-kids, and having jean as the one who "outed" bobby makes her shitty

damn, this was one of my few unread Hickman marvel things, and i'm moving along but bummed to hear this
wait are we talking just the book proper or when it went to Future Foundation?
Bunny is writing Jean as a character who is struggling to overcome the actions she took during g the Bendis run. The new Hopeless solo is showing that she's an inexperienced kid compared to her adult self that failed to escape her fate and is about her relying and learning from others.

She and the other young X-Men are being written much better now.

Wanderer5

Lol haven't even checked that thread.

Complaining over a few special screenings is just laughable, but whatever. It is not a bad idea to celebrate Wonder Woman, especially when this is looking to be the first solid female lead superhero movie as far as mainstream goes (which are rare anyway).

Do we still hate Brain Wood?

Eh. I never hated him. He's pretty hit-or-miss, though. He writes Aliens: Defiance, which is probably one of the best Alien comics in a long time. I think he does better work when he works on established franchises instead of whatever he manages to think up.

Dudes writing the new Robotech comic. :(

I'd love to read a Robotech comic. I'll probably check it out.

Digital users! How large is your CMX library currently? I'm up to

I guess I haven't been into digital as long as you guys. It seems I'm up to exactly 999 right now. Just one more comic and I'll break into 4-digits.

Nah. I feel like it's things like this that have just been getting more exposure since the rise of the alt-right and the Trump election. Pieces of shit have always been around and are nothing new.

IrishNinja

oh god, that thread totally had people crying reverse sexism or some dumb shit, didn't it? i didn't even click on it

Usagi Yojimbo Saga v3 z(book 14) - Some nice stories in the second half of the book. Demon Mask was a great mystery. Deserters and The Missive both were great little foreshadowings. Reunion was a good lead into ... Grasscutter II! The prologue for it sets up what feels like a big long chase. Sakai clearly had fun with some of the pages in the book.

ah nice! i kept thinking Usagi was on hiatus again, thanks for this

Bunny is writing Jean as a character who is struggling to overcome the actions she took during g the Bendis run. The new Hopeless solo is showing that she's an inexperienced kid compared to her adult self that failed to escape her fate and is about her relying and learning from others.

She and the other young X-Men are being written much better now.

okay, might have to check out jean's book then...it's only like 2 issues in anyway. i keep hearing good about cyk's solo one too.

Do we still hate Brain Wood?

...has he done anything on part with Demo in recent years? cause DMZ was one of those books i followed to the end, but shouldn't have.

Nah. I feel like it's things like this that have just been getting more exposure since the rise of the alt-right and the Trump election. Pieces of shit have always been around and are nothing new.

strong +1 here
this era made me realize that if the terrible disease of political correctness was what kept shitheels with views like that "afraid" to share them, then we need a contagion of it

caliph95

Then he will have to cosplay to get in.
I think it would be obvious just look for the person in a Harlequin costume or one of Stefan works
Two Drafthouses are doing it. The Drafthouse in Austin, TX has two showtimes that sold out and the Drafthouse in New York has three showtimes on different days that sold out.
Cool thanks for the clarification
Still though it's not like they are banned for the women to plan the feminazi revolution

duckroll

Well I just got to the end of the stuff he's been building towards since the beginning of his run. What an ending. I almost teared up. I don't even care if the rest of the ~14 issues kind of meanders. That was some incredible stuff.

The remaining issues are all good. They're not meant to be a big "finish" to the run so much as a mix between a long epilogue and seeds for what Hickman will eventually use in his Avengers and New Avengers run that builds up all the way into his amazing Secret Wars conclusion to everything he has to say about Marvel.

IrishNinja

Dudebros brought up White-Only screenings.

FOH, seriously? the Thor meme took off there? i almost gotta rubberneck this, but i really don't

Ha ha, I really ended up liking DMZ except for that ending.

it sucks when that happens, right? i had this with 100 Bullets, Ex Machnia (to a lesser extent) and a few others too , like i know i enjoyed my time with them but the impression they left is one i don't wanna revisit overall

it sucks when that happens, right? i had this with 100 Bullets, Ex Machnia (to a lesser extent) and a few others too , like i know i enjoyed my time with them but the impression they left is one i don't wanna revisit overall

The case with 100 Bullets was that it just went on too long. 100 Bullets, 100 issues, I get it. But it doesn't work if the story runs out of gas before you hit the end.

VanWinkle

The remaining issues are all good. They're not meant to be a big "finish" to the run so much as a mix between a long epilogue and seeds for what Hickman will eventually use in his Avengers and New Avengers run that builds up all the way into his amazing Secret Wars conclusion to everything he has to say about Marvel.

Sounds great!

Vic_Viper

Nice, completely missed that there was a Image sale with 65% off! Picked up Test Pattern since I missed it when it was 70% off.

Also got all 3 of Aaron's Thor OHCs today in the mail!!! Man the art alone in these books are amazing. Cant believe I waited this long to pick these up. Next im going to start trying to get all the Amazing Spider-man and Superior Spider-man OHCs. Really like the current run with Worldwide, but I need to read the others first since I dropped Slott's Spider-man during Superior.

Grasscutter II was a worthy follow up. Sakai didn't try to re-capture the first one and make another epic. This is one long action filled chase sequence. We get to see Ikeda again
and what a great arc he had. Loved the sword switch. That ending though. :( He left standing up straight.
So much stuff happened that will be changing up the status quo.

God Hates Astronauts is a classic comic run overflowing with creativity. It's also damn hilarious, unlike 99% of the "funny" comics that release every year.

Southern Bastards is a masterpiece. It's gruesome and tense and infuriating all at once.

Deadly Class is the best book currently releasing for me. It's swerves have swerves, the characters are fully realized, and it has style for Mike's. It's the one book that has genuinely shocked me and made me say, "What the fuck?!?" out loud.

Vic_Viper

Hey comics-gaf, tell me what to get from this Image sale that isn't Easy of West since I'm already going to get that.

Youve probably already made your purchases, but along with the other great recommendations I have to say im surprised noone mentioned these great Image books (especially given you already are interested in East of West:

The Black Monday Murders (its like Seven the movie but with bankers)
Seven to Eternity
The Goddamned
Wayward (its like Persona in comic form and its art alone is worth checking out)

Seconded others recommended:

Low
Lazarus
Deadly Class
Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom