• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I hope they vary how the agent can grow...like a split in the skills at one point so everyone's agent isn't the same..

soldat7

bridegur said:
That was part of it, but it was also nice to know that if I wanted to do something, there were no artificial restraints put in place by the developers.

The developers are balancing the game, not putting artificial restraints into place.

Blackace said:
I hope they vary how the agent can grow...like a split in the skills at one point so everyone's agent isn't the same..

didn't the first game have this? Like if you powered up your strength you'd look all roided out? But if you did more agility stuff you'd get leaner and shit? Or am I remembering it completely wrong? If so that is definately something they should add. In fact i'd love a full on "create-an-agent". I always found the whole "your agent gets older/more tatted up as you power up" thing kind of odd.

Ninja Scooter said:
didn't the first game have this? Like if you powered up your strength you'd look all roided out? But if you did more agility stuff you'd get leaner and shit? Or am I remembering it completely wrong? If so that is definately something they should add. In fact i'd love a full on "create-an-agent". I always found the whole "your agent gets older/more tatted up as you power up" thing kind of odd.
Yes, but in the end you would max out all the stats and every agent would look the same.

mujun

Saw the pics, armor looks awesome when fully maxed. The rest of the screens looked good as well if you ask me.

Aselith

soldat7 said:
Crackdown succeeded because of the constant level progression and the feeling of continually becoming more and more powerful, not because you could fetch a rocket lawnchair early in the game if you knew where to go.

That's the thing though. It guided you down a logical progression BUT you could also go do the other thing. Taking that away is lessening the game rather than strengthening it.

Maybe they won't put in the restrainst though. Perhaps they are just making the guides a little stronger in terms of making you WANT to follow the logical progression.

GhaleonEB

soldat7 said:
The developers are balancing the game, not putting artificial restraints into place.
That's what I'm hoping. I'd like them keep the city just as open and explorable, but make something like the rocket launcher more difficult to get to. All they'd have to do is keep them out of reach (literally) until you had higher agility. (Though, sneaking into Shai-Gen and nabbing one when I was a level one everything agent was a hoot.)

They could also tie weapon performance to your level. So just as explosions got bigger and cars transformed as you leveled up those skills, they could make the homing kick in when you got to a higher level skill, so that part of the weapon sandbox is also tied to your skills.

And really, a huge part of the exploration of the city was vertical, so it wasn't truly free-roaming until you got to a higher level agility. So it's not like they have to block you out of entire parts of the city to balance out the weapon progression.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I read the GI article, and now I have faith in what this game is shaping up to be.

orbs + coolass looking new armor (hopefully its something that is customizable or variable and not just a character skin) + more mutant baddies=off to a good start.

That's the Crackdown I know and love.

And speaking of Orbs, I finally got my last Hidden Orb over in The Den. Right out in the open as luck would have it. I was nearly moved to tears. Nearly.

DMczaf

crackdown2_3636.png

....so this is what a relapse feels like. STRAIGHT TO MY VEINS, MS!

voltron

GhaleonEB said:
easter-island-agility-orbs.jpg

For months I instinctively scoped out ascension routes on buildings. It was in my brain.

haha nice pic.

If I wasnt playing odst Id whip out p/shop and make some orb art myself.

GhaleonEB

The Nature Roy said:
I was actually talking about this exact same phenomenon with a friend last weekend.
It was bad, I tell you. I remember talking with my wife about a building with unique architecture she was pointing out, and I observed casually that I'd need to have level three agility to get to the roof.

I thought this was a normal, sensible observation to make.

She did not.

whitehawk

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It was bad, I tell you. I remember talking with my wife about a building with unique architecture she was pointing out, and I observed casually that I'd need to have level three agility to get to the roof.

I thought this was a normal, sensible observation to make.

She did not.
Shit. I'm going to be thinking about this stuff about every building I see now :lol

GhaleonEB said:
easter-island-agility-orbs.jpg

For months I instinctively scoped out ascension routes on buildings. It was in my brain.

3506553050_bc65a4b098.jpg

This is the view from my apartment, I've worked out the routes to get to every building.

If I could just make the first jump! :lol

NaviLink

I litteraly can't wait for this game to come out. I'm replaying the first one at the moment and it's still the same blast than when it came out.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
:lol , and those are the "lame" shots of the Crackdown GI article. Wait until MS releases the more awesome stuff.

Gotta give it to the Halo 3 Beta for getting me to love Crackdown. I think that without it, I would have never experienced the awesomeness.

That said, I'm so stoked for Crackdown 2. The new concept with the "infection" is pretty interesting, but I hope it will still feel generally the same as the first.

Looking good. It's a bit grittier, enough to let you know that things have gone to shit in the city, but it still keeps that wonderful Crackdown look.

2010 has some heavy hitters, and this will definitely be a contender. I know for a fact, though, that I won't have nearly as much pure, simple fun with those other games. :D

ShogunX

Really pleased that this looks to be more of the same with added features and content. The original did so many things right and its great to see the new team stay true to it.

Hopefully they can implement some unique spins on old gametypes for multiplayer. Would love to play a cops v robbers style gametype set in the Crackdown world and they could also do things like Agent v Mutants where say one players gets to be a maxed out agent and the others are mutants trying to take him down as fast as possible.

Roll on 2010.

Top Bottom