• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Just caved in and purchased the LG OLED55B7A for $1,500 on Amazon. Did I make a good decision? Is the tv worth it? Tell me so GAF so I don’t change my mind.

I got the same from target with Newegg price match. I already had an E6 from last year. Picture quality is amazing. The better the source the better the picture.

thatJohann

Those with 4K HDR OLEDs. Do you have Xbox One X on color space as Standard or PC RGB?

Getting the B7 on Saturday and curious what the best Xbox One X settings are.

GodGui

Neo Member
I concidering to grab a TV on Black Friday and I would like to have advice! I'll use it mainly for Movies and Gaming!

Option 1: LG OLED55B7P 1999.99CAD

Option 2: Sony XBR55X900E 1299.99CAD

Option 3: Recommendations? (Max 1500)

My plan was to buy a tv around 1500CAD, but it seems the LG is "THE TV" to get from what I've read on review sites. I'm questioning myself to put 700CAD more (to get the LG) but I'm wondering if the difference in price between the LG and the Sony is justified?

Do you guys know if the Panasonic TC58EX750 could be a better choice than the Sony for 1499.99?

llien

I concidering to grab a TV on Black Friday and I would like to have advice! I'll use it mainly for Movies and Gaming!

My plan was to buy a tv around 1500CAD, but it seems the LG is "THE TV" to get from what I've read on review sites. I'm questioning myself to put 700CAD more (to get the LG) but I'm wondering if the difference in price between the LG and the Sony is justified?

Do you guys know if the Panasonic TC58EX750 could be a better choice than the Sony for 1499.99?

Owner of LG OLED W7.
I'd say you need to see it yourself in a shop if you have doubts.
I'm OLED biased, so surely would choose option 1, although I haven't seen a single review of the particular model you have referenced.
LG 2017 models also have admirably low input of 20-25ms, great for gaming.

J-Rzez

Honestly it's been covered to death. It's in the thread title. OLED is King. Superior to even the great 900E. It is what it is. Do you want a very very good tv (900E) or do you want the best of the best (OLED).

J-Rzez

Where at?

Best Buy and Amazon. I'm sure other major big box retailers as well.

There’s a deal for the B7 65” right now on slick deals. I really wish amazon would match these small Mom and pop sites. I was hoping the major retailers would put the OLED’s on sale. I wanted to use my 800$ in amazon money I have on one :(

They'll never price match them because "mom and pops" aren't usually "authorized retailers" or are 3rd party online dealers with no stock. They have restocking fees, are a pain to deal with any shipping issues, and if you read the makers site, they do not have to honor warranties of products sold through them.

Who is selling the 55" x900e for 1299.99???? I just bought one last night from Best Buy for 1599.99 and the Black Friday price is the same... amd everywhere i looked is selling it fot 1599.99. hmmm

GodGui

Neo Member
Owner of LG OLED W7.
I'm OLED biased, so surely would choose option 1, although I haven't seen a single review of the particular model you have referenced.

Thanks for the reply!

Did you experience any 'burn in' with your W7? That's what holds me back!

I brought 4k vids to best buy and watched on a 900e and a lg c7 and even in the store i liked the oled better. In the dark its a totally different story. They arnt even comparable.

llien

Thanks for the reply!

Did you experience any 'burn in' with your W7? That's what holds me back!

No, but it is about a month old, so too early. :)
I was told 2017 series handle it better, also note that W7 is likely using harvested panels (other than that, all LG OLED TVs from the same year are using the same panels), not sure if it has impact on longevity or only picture quality.

Owner of LG OLED W7.

Do you have the link to the input lag rating? This is what's been holding me back from jumping to OLED.

Ashhong

Owner of LG OLED W7.

All LG OLED panels are the same so reviews for specific models almost don't even matter. The B7 should look the same as your W7. I got mine at the same price as the Sony so it was an easy choice. Not sure about paying so much more for it though. I might recommend getting the great Sony and waiting OLED out another year or two if the price difference is that much

Edit: just saw your post about harvested panels. Not sure what that means but does the W not use the same as the rest of the models?

J-Rzez

Do you have the link to the input lag rating? This is what's been holding me back from jumping to OLED.

Many sites test this, including rtings.com, hdtvtest, etc. The LGs have 21-25ms, while the Sony will have around 30ms. The only way youre getting lower is with something like TCL P6 or LG JS8500, both of which are outclassed in picture quality handily, and is it worth dropping 5ms for the massive PQ drop for that? If so, buy a good gaming monitor instead.

ubiblu

Grabbed myself a 65" Sony x9000e here in Australia yesterday afternoon for $2700 AUD; only the x7000E and X8500e series are on sale here and research suggested that the x90 was well worth the price premium.

Took me a while to figure out I needed a premium 4K hdmi cable and manually assign hdmi inputs to accept 4K/HDR signal, but wow...my PS4 Pro is looking incredible. Not fully convienced by the 4K without a dedicated player, but the HDR is a gamechanger in itself coming from 1080p.

Many sites test this, including rtings.com, hdtvtest, etc. The LGs have 21-25ms, while the Sony will have around 30ms. The only way youre getting lower is with something like TCL P6 or LG JS8500, both of which are outclassed in picture quality handily, and is it worth dropping 5ms for the massive PQ drop for that? If so, buy a good gaming monitor instead.

I did my research today, 21-25 ms is good for me. I'm looking to pick up the C7 either tomorrow or Saturday. Do you think it will be at $1,700.00 until then or Monday?

HoldSteady

Neo Member
So have any of you who have the B7 gotten the HDR slider in Forza 7 to work while in HDR game mode? I can’t get the logo to disappear and it’s the only game I have an issue with.

I did my research today, 21-25 ms is good for me. I'm looking to pick up the C7 either tomorrow or Saturday. Do you think it will be at $1,700.00 until then or Monday?

The LG's at Costco are good until the 27th. I just pulled the trigger because of the insane 4 year warranty I get from buying it there

J-Rzez

Not sure. Best buy sales are usually sun-sat, but if Costco is saying longer, then maybe it's longer.

Grabbed myself a 65" Sony x9000e here in Australia yesterday afternoon for $2700 AUD; only the x7000E and X8500e series are on sale here and research suggested that the x90 was well worth the price premium.

Took me a while to figure out I needed a premium 4K hdmi cable and manually assign hdmi inputs to accept 4K/HDR signal, but wow...my PS4 Pro is looking incredible. Not fully convienced by the 4K without a dedicated player, but the HDR is a gamechanger in itself coming from 1080p.
Wait so the PS4Pro doesnt come with a 4k HDMI? You have to buy it separate?
Man I hope BestBuy has a good deal tomorrow or this weekend, been wanting to buy the C7 so bad but I feel the $1700 price tag will surely go down sooner or later

Man I hope BestBuy has a good deal tomorrow or this weekend, been wanting to buy the C7 so bad but I feel the $1700 price tag will surely go down sooner or later
I have 3 4K HDR HDMIs sitting in my amazon cart just for this. Now I’m curious if I should wait a little. That $1,700 is a nice price for the C7. Plus I’m sitting on $350 store credit at Best Buy. Pretty sure I’m a pull the trigger on Saturday though. My credit card has price protection.

styl3s

With the LG 55B7A can you use any bluetooth audio receivers? I use an extended 3.55 jack for my sony (yeah, it's a mess) but i don't want to invest in more headphones when i already use a few expensive and fantastic cans. Picking the TV up later and if it supports the receiver ill go ahead and order one off amazon.

GodGui

Neo Member
I have 3 4K HDR HDMIs sitting in my amazon cart just for this. Now I’m curious if I should wait a little. That $1,700 is a nice price for the C7. Plus I’m sitting on $350 store credit at Best Buy. Pretty sure I’m a pull the trigger on Saturday though. My credit card has price protection.

May I ask which HDMIs? I'm actually searching for a good one!

ubiblu

Sorry for not being clear: I have a dozen HDMI cords lying around the house and had misplaced the Sony High Speed one that came with the PS4 Pro. Once I found it, I was all set. Some basic research on my part suggested that High Speed is all you need for 4K HDR (Premium is a fake term), and anything cheap from the last 7 years should suffice for non-HDR 4K.

wowzors

I wouldn't buy any HDMI cable over $5. Just go with monoprice.

It depends on what you are looking up. Generally I agree but I have a HDMI switch and an HDMI audio extracter and they both throw an absolute bitch fit without having like premium certified cables. The Xbox one X and PS4 pro cables work and are really high quality.

Two of my three monoprice premium certified caused video dropout.

thatJohann

FYI discovered Netflix is butchering most of its Dolby Vision shows by adding artificial grain not compatible with HDR.

If you want to see a clear difference, put on the punisher (tons of ugly noise and grain) then put on Chefs Table season 3 (no noise, simply perfect image quality).

Really hope they stop doing this.

Using LG OLED55B7A btw.

ABeezy1388

Just got the 65” OLED B7. Had about 1000 in rewards/gift cards for amazon and got no tax. 1100 out of pocket. I’m stoked to pair this up wkrh my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X! Hope Comcast looks good on this with their shit quality!

Chitown B

FYI discovered Netflix is butchering most of its Dolby Vision shows by adding artificial grain not compatible with HDR.

If you want to see a clear difference, put on the punisher (tons of ugly noise and grain) then put on Chefs Table season 3 (no noise, simply perfect image quality).

Using LG OLED55B7A btw.

what is "artificial grain"?

neckthrough

Neo Member

Using LG OLED55B7A btw.
Yeah I noticed a lot of grain (especially in the highlights) on Iron Fist in Dolby Vision on my B6. I thought this was perhaps because the show was shot on negative film. I wouldn't call it "ugly", but yeah it's very noticeable.

ACH1LL3US

Good Day Everyone!

So I have had the LG Oled C7 since launch ( 700hrs on the clock, 95% of it was gaming ), I paid way more ( $3500) then what many of you are able to get it for now.

I have tested the C7 with my Leo Bodnar with the newest firmware 4.70.30 that came out the other day and all lag numbers in PC mode ( ISF etc all have same lag of 21.2ms ) and game mode outside of PC mode is still 21.2ms.

BUT...

One thing I have noticed with the Oled's ( I have tested every gen Oled with the Leo Bodnar ) is that even though the Leo Bodnar says 21.2ms, it was still feeling sluggish compared to my Sony X720e LED that was showing 19.3ms. I have done so much testing trying to figure out why on my Oled it felt so much more sluggish then the X720e even though the numbers suggest an imperceptable difference.

Now with this new firmware update the Oled feels the same as the x720e in regards to lag, I can't feel a difference. I tested SF3 Third Strike, Bf4, Battlefront 2 etc and I could no longer tell a difference. My theory is this : LG drives the oled with 4 pixels, R,G,B and W. When using the Leo Bodnar it is only using the white pixels whereas on the LED's it using RGB pixels at once to show white. I think the LG oled takes longer to drive all 4 pixels on real world screen content versus the Leo Bodnar white bars. On this last update they must have fixed it so that all said and done all the pixels are now running at that 21ms number and I can feel the difference now.

I still say that these Oled's are THE BEST way to play games, especially the 7 series as the lag is much lower and you can get 4:4:4 in PC mode with ISF picture modes at a low 21ms lag.

BURN I/IMAGE Retention: I have been using my C7 Oled since April with games only and some Youtube ( watch Maximlian_Dood vids and game vids) and Twitch so there is always static content on my screen and I still have zero burn in! I use 35 oled light and 85 contrast in ISF bright mode in PC mode. I do not think anyone will have issues with burn in for gaming with settings like this regardless of what you play. In other words this whole image retention burn in fear has much to do with what settings your using and if your shutting down the tv via the controller every day so it can do its auto comp cycle ( every 4hrs use it does this ).

I also love "Retro " games and play about half the content on the screen at 4:3 with scanlines and black bars on the sides. The way Oled shows 2D old school game content with scanlines reminds me of the Sony BVM monitors, it just looks amazing!! Go grab the adapter for the pc so you can use two Japanese Saturn pads ( no USB ones but the OG Saturn connector pads ) and honestly it just blows me away!! Pics below:

Oled scanlines by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr

Settings in FInal Burn Alpha to get the scanlines like Sony BVM on an Oled:

Chitown B

never ceases to amaze me when people like to make their games look shittier because of how it looked on old outdated technology when they had no other choice. :p

never ceases to amaze me when people like to make their games look shittier because of how it looked on old outdated technology when they had no other choice. :p

Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people can be. Most games back then were designed with scan-lines in mind.This is especially evident with N64 games. And ya know, that aside, people going back to play retro games most likely want the whole nostalgia shabang.

kunonabi

So im in the market for a new hdmi cable since the house is currently one short. Now i just finished buying a 4k tv and 4k blu ray player for myself. I keep hearing conflicting information as to whether or not you need particular hdmi cables for 4k hdr setups. I just used a cable i had lying around and it seems to be working as fine as far as i can tell.

I keep hearing about monoprice and bluejean and was thinking of going with one of them.

Any thoughts?

wowzors

Sorry for not being clear: I have a dozen HDMI cords lying around the house and had misplaced the Sony High Speed one that came with the PS4 Pro. Once I found it, I was all set. Some basic research on my part suggested that High Speed is all you need for 4K HDR (Premium is a fake term), and anything cheap from the last 7 years should suffice for non-HDR 4K.

What does the PS4 pro HDMI cable look like? I can't seem to find mine or it's nicer in with my others.

Chitown B

ロキー;253061473 said:
Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people can be. Most games back then were designed with scan-lines in mind.This is especially evident with N64 games. And ya know, that aside, people going back to play retro games most likely want the whole nostalgia shabang.

I was alive and playing back then. It was that way because of the current tech. CRTs. But the actual output was RGB and pure. I'm sure you know about mods that output the original graphics.

J-Rzez

So im in the market for a new hdmi cable since the house is currently one short. Now i just finished buying a 4k tv and 4k blu ray player for myself. I keep hearing conflicting information as to whether or not you need particular hdmi cables for 4k hdr setups. I just used a cable i had lying around and it seems to be working as fine as far as i can tell.

I keep hearing about monoprice and bluejean and was thinking of going with one of them.

Any thoughts?

Only thing it needs to be is rated at 18Gbps or higher. Now there are some other differences ive experienced in cables like the length of run, or audio quality. And by audio quality when I went to Audioquest cables, I don't have to turn up my receiver as much for some reason. Quality of transfer, signal strength? No idea. Receiver is literally about 6 clicks lower for same volume. Old HDMI cables used were Amazon, Monster, monoprice, and rocketfish. It's strange.

hollams

Gold Member

Any thoughts?

If you aren't going over 25 feet then almost all cables will work. Once you start getting over that number then cables really do matter.

My distance is 35 feet and I tried 5 cables that were all rated 18G but none of them could display 4:4:4 Chroma, they would all quit displaying an image once I changed to that setting.

I had to go for a fiber optic hdmi cable that was around $150 which is crazy money for a cable, but it's the only one that worked. I use my TV as a PC monitor so 4:4:4 setting makes text look crisp so I decided to spend the money.

Unfortunately my TV is in the shop right now as I had a vertical white line down the whole screen, luckily I'm still under warranty. I bought my C6 in February so a little disappointed that it had issues within a year. The TV is awesome though and 3D looks amazing, can't believe new TV's got rid of 3D.

Weevilone

Any thoughts?

Premium is most definitely not a fake term. There are tons and tons of posts on AVS detailing people's woes when trying to use non-certified 18G cables with the newer devices that can actually use the bandwidth. When the Oppo 203 launched the AVS thread was littered with these cable issues daily for months. People routinely have $200 cables not up to the task.

Premium Certified cables carry a logo as seen on the linked page. Instead of a manufacturer claiming whatever they wish, they have actually been tested and approved for the bandwidth. They don't have to be expensive either, I've paid like $3 for them in shorter runs (Monoprice).

Of course there will be older cables that will work, and no doubt some of the certified cables are simply older cables that have been tested an approved, but the program takes out the guesswork.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

TheBoss1

Wow we have news from CES regarding OLED and FALD displays, and no one has posted them? Thread is officially dead now I guess.

JP

I thought I'd mention this from CES.
be9d5a4c1bcbc4af0f1fd1190a9c9eeb0f84a03b.jpeg

Sony demonstrated a prototype 8K, OLED LED, full spec HDR panel running with a peak brightness of 10,000 Nits.

It is a prototype, something to show the benefits of such a panel and to give them a head start on the technology needed for a panel like this using their X1 Ultimate processor. The cost would be ridiculous at the moment, I would love to see how it looks in person though. As they say in the AVS Forum video, it's built on technology that they started on years ago

Last edited:
Top Bottom