• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: 4k 360 games tested on Xbox One X!

MaulerX

https://youtu.be/Zkj0jE8IaQQ

A look at the visual enhancements of these 360 games on Xbox One X

Halo 3
Gears 3
Assassins creed
Mirrors edge
Oblivion
Fallout 3

At the risk of sounding like a broken record you just simply have to tip your hat to MS's BC team. Just simply amazing what they have accomplished in this regard. That halo 3 comparison with the taller and more volumetric looking grass makes you appreciate the fact that this is all for free. Just by popping the same disc you've owned for years.

And this is something that you just can't downplay with "a year later $100 more" talk. There is some serious software wizardry going on here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This console man it really has it all.
True 4k gaming damn xbox og 4k 360 beast mode

BEAST
E
A
S
T

c0de

Two posts on-topic, the rest is in complain mode. Good job!

OT: It really is just amazing tech that MS is pushing here, beyond what the competition is able to do right now. This is the level that others can only try to achieve, it can hardly be overtaken.

Comments like these really help...

If you dont like a posters opinion, dont post.
It has nothing to do with not liking a posters opinion. I purchased an X which I later returned. It's a premium console that was well thought out but it wasn't a good fit at the time. All that being said, there's been a stark increase in the embarrassing displays of immaturity since the migration and nothing is being done to reign it in. It's not just in the X threads but in off topic threads as well. At least here, it's relegated to being happy about your console of choice but in other threads, people are doing things that would have led to an instant ban with no reprecussions.

solis74

At the risk of sounding like a broken record you just simply have to tip your hat to MS's BC team. Just simply amazing what they have accomplished in this regard. That halo 3 comparison with the taller and more volumetric looking grass makes you appreciate the fact that this is all for free. Just by popping the same disc you've owned for years.

And this is something that you just can't downplay with "a year later $100 more" talk. There is some serious software wizardry going on here.

Back on topic.

MS have really done a great job here! :)

welshrat

I totally agree, I have both the X and the Pro and enjoy both, in fact maybe tip towards the pro due to the library of software, however this BC stuff is a game changer for me as I can really enjoy a huge library of games without looking at them and thinking the look horrible.

It really is a great feature of the X and makes the £100 more than worth it.

JaxBriggs

It really is just amazing tech that MS is pushing here, beyond what the competition is able to do right now.

I have to agree. Although I'm not a fan of where MS' first party is at right now, I have to hand it to them that the XB1X is a mid-gen refresh done right. Very impressive stuff.

Pantz

I really like what they're doing with BC, especially enhanced games. I'm enjoying non-enhanced BC titles too and bought a ton of them off the Black Friday sale.

I hope they keep adding more and more so it will turn into their own version of Steam. It even has an advantage over Steam in that all the games WILL work without the complications that old PC games have.

Playing Civilization Revolution 360 BC on my Xbox One X right now :D

Bramble

Why would somebody downplay this? Nintendo Wii games would also look a lot better if they were enhanced for Switch.

Seriously though: do you think MS would have done this if they were ahead like Sony is, at this point? Would they do this if they had a bigger exclusive library and big exclusives coming up, like the competition has? I don't think so. This actually costs money and resources. You only do this when you are in a position that you have to do anything to generate extra sales. That said: this is, by no mistake, an awesome gesture towards people who still own old 360 games who want to play those again.

MaulerX

Why would somebody downplay this? Nintendo Wii games would also look a lot better if they were enhanced for Switch.

Seriously though: do you think MS would have done this if they were ahead like Sony is, at this point? Would they do this if they had a bigger exclusive library and big exclusives coming up, like the competition has? I don't think so. This actually costs money and resources. You only do this when you are in a position that you have to do anything to generate extra sales. That said: this is, by no mistake, an awesome gesture towards people who still own old 360 games who want to play those again.

Because that has become the recurring theme around these parts when it comes to the X: "A year later and $100 more"

And it's not about being ahead or behind. It's about doing the right thing and bringing what can already be done with PC and mobile phones to the console front: Honor and protect your digital library, not charge you again for the games you already own. Considering they also did BC by bringing over 400 OG Xbox games to 360, why in the world would something they have historically being doing now all of a sudden have to do with Sony being ahead? And if a Wii game does indeed come to the Switch, it wouldn't matter how good it looks if they charge you for it again, because then it wouldn't be BC, just like the Virtual Console.

MilkyJoe

Afraid not

Microsoft's backward compatibility plans evolved, starting with work on a virtual GPU emulator based on the Xbox 360 way back in 2007. As the Xbox One design finalized, Xbox core platform-group's program manager Kevin Gammill said, the team considered putting in a system-on-a-chip that would enable Xbox 360 games much like the "Emotion Engine" hardware that let early PS3 systems play PS2 games.

While some unspecified hardware ended up in the Xbox One design to aid future backward-compatibility efforts, the idea of a full 360 SoC was apparently regarded as too expensive and limiting for what the team had in mind

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ssed-launch-because-of-always-online-debacle/

belmonkey

Good improvements for those old games, but I think those PC versions could already run at 4k on a pc a bit stronger than an X1 (a 750 ti).

solis74

I really like what they're doing with BC, especially enhanced games. I'm enjoying non-enhanced BC titles too and bought a ton of them off the Black Friday sale.

I hope they keep adding more and more so it will turn into their own version of Steam. It even has an advantage over Steam in that all the games WILL work without the complications that old PC games have.

Playing Civilization Revolution 360 BC on my Xbox One X right now :D

Yeah i hope they keep on adding were the license allows.

Bramble

Because that has become the recurring theme around these parts when it comes to the X: "A year later and $100 more"

And it's not about being ahead or behind. It's about doing the right thing and bringing what can already be done with PC and mobile phones to the console front: Honor and protect your digital library, not charge you again for the games you already own. Considering they also did BC by bringing over 400 OG Xbox games to 360, why in the world would something they have historically being doing now all of a sudden have to do with Sony being ahead? And if a Wii game does indeed come to the Switch, it wouldn't matter how good it looks if they charge you for it again, because then it wouldn't be BC, just like the Virtual Console.

Bringing BC to the table is something different than putting resources and time in actually enhancing old games for free. I'm pretty sure MS would not do any enhancing if they weren't so far behind. Or did they also enhanced old Xbox games? I don't know honestly.

Again: that's just about BC and not about actually enhancing old games.

maus

Crazy what they've done to Halo 3. That was one of my most disappointing games at the time because of its graphical shortcomings. When COD4 came out with its 60fps I couldn't even go back to it.

Halo 3 was so aliased and ugly on a big HDTV yet you could tell there was an amazing looking game underneath that pixelated mess. Either Bungie was rushed or they just overestimated the hardware but it's great to see native Halo 3 in its true form. I love this stuff.

MilkyJoe

Again: that's just about BC and not about actually enhancing old games.

try again

Microsoft's backward compatibility plans evolved, starting with work on a virtual GPU emulator based on the Xbox 360 way back in 2007. As the Xbox One design finalized, Xbox core platform-group's program manager Kevin Gammill said, the team considered putting in a system-on-a-chip that would enable Xbox 360 games much like the "Emotion Engine" hardware that let early PS3 systems play PS2 games.

While some unspecified hardware ended up in the Xbox One design to aid future backward-compatibility efforts, the idea of a full 360 SoC was apparently regarded as too expensive and limiting for what the team had in mind

MaulerX

Bringing BC to the table is something different than putting resources and time in actually enhancing old games for free. I'm pretty sure MS would not do any enhancing if they weren't so far behind. Or did they also enhanced old Xbox games? I don't know honestly.

Yes, OG Xbox games did look and perform better on 360. Not to this extent but improvements were definitely there.

Bramble

try again

So what does that say according to you? Nothing about actually putting work into enhancing games.

This is just about the hardware itself. Just like unpatched PS4 Pro and X1 games that run better on the enhanced hardware?

Yes, OG Xbox games did look and perform better on 360. Not to this extent but improvements were definitely there.

So? Unpatched Xbox One and PS4 games also run better on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro . That doesn't mean they're enhanced. What is your point?

Sorry if I misread something somewhere (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but the whole point is MS actually enhancing 360 games so they look better on Xbox, right? They are actually putting teams to work in making old games look better. It's not just the hardware that does that automatically.

gamz

It has nothing to do with not liking a posters opinion. I purchased an X which I later returned. It's a premium console that was well thought out but it wasn't a good fit at the time. All that being said, there's been a stark increase in the embarrassing displays of immaturity since the migration and nothing is being done to reign it in. It's not just in the X threads but in off topic threads as well. At least here, it's relegated to being happy about your console of choice but in other threads, people are doing things that would have led to an instant ban with no reprecussions.

What is wrong about saying positive things in an Xbox thread. If that bothers you don't come into the thread. You would rather have people shit posting about Xbox?

gamz

Honestly, it's a really small team that handles the BC stuff. But why go negative, if it benefits consumers enjoy it.

mad597

Banned

Holy crap who cares why they are doing it, these type of arguments are ridiculous. Sony fans literally putting up with less services and sony being a jackass about any type of BC so they can parade around forums waving the #1 flag.

Sony this gen are fucking lazy dont give a shit about its customers and arent lifting a finger to provide additional value and dumbass sony fans are like "well MS wouldn't be doing this if they were #1" Sony fans have such an obsession with sales numbers and being #1 they dont even care how Sony treats them. They are are more stock holders than gamers

MilkyJoe

So what does that say according to you? Nothing about actually putting work into enhancing games.

This is just about the hardware itself. Just like unpatched PS4 Pro and X1 games that run better on the enhanced hardware?

if they didnt want to put the SOC in because it will limit what they have in mind, there's nothing else it can mean other than enhanced.

gamz

Holy crap who cares why they are doing it, these type of arguments are ridiculous. Sony fans literally putting up with less services and sony being a jackass about any type of BC nuat so they can parade arlund forums waving the #1 flag.

Sony thia gen are fucking lazy dont give a shit about its customers and arent loftong a finger to provide additional value and dumbass sony fans are like "well MS wouldn't be doing this id they were #1" Sony fans habe such an obsession with sales numbers and being #1 they dont even care how Sony treats them

Word. Instead of being pissed at the PS options they lash out at Xbox for having options. It's weird.

mad597

Banned
What is wrong about saying positive things in an Xbox thread. If that bothers you don't come into the thread. You would rather have people shit posting about Xbox?

Sony fans annoyed xbox fans don't get banned on sight anymore and xbox threads aren't shit up after 3 posts.

You've downplayed the X ever since your "purchase". It's cool that you took yours back because it wasn't for you. But why come into an xbox related thread and try to lecture?

On to post, I've played Gears 3 and Halo 3. MS really has gone the right way with this. Now lets see some more of those third party enhancements! :)

Krisprolls

Banned
Playing older games in higher resolution is nice but it's been possible on PC for ages, so it's not like it's something new...

mad597

Banned
Word. Instead of being pissed at the PS options they lash out at Xbox for having options. It's weird.

It is some weird mental issue where console sales over ride all consumer instincts a gamer should have.

Also weird all the purpose stupidity about anything MS related. MS has said a million times what type of benefits all non patched games get

16xAF - this is the biggest part
Vsync - no more tearing
Max out games with Dyanamic Res and Framerate - games will almost always hit their high target
Much quicker loading times

These improvements apply to all non patched games through 3 gens of Xbox. Much better than the PSPro boost mode and since PS4 has no BC boost mode won't apply to BC games like it does on Xbox

Now outside of that the MS BC devs have figured out how to improve sone games that were developed in certain ways to have them render in Native 4k and even HDR. This is what they did with Oblivion, Mirrors Edge, Halo 3 etc. It does not require the game devs to do anything just the BC team at MS to make a few tweaks to the emulator for the game.

Not hard to understand, I hope Sony fans can stop pretending to be stupid about this so they can stop pushing false narratives about it.

mad597

Banned
Playing older games in higher resolution is nice but it's been possible on PC for ages, so it's not like it's something new...

MS is trying to give that value to console games. Being new has nothing to do with the added value it gives Xbox owners

MS is trying to give that value to console games. Being new has nothing to do with the added value it gives Xbox owners

Yup, they now have 4,000 xbox 360 games they can play! That's going to be a long, long video! In the meantime i'm off to have a look at Half-Life, 3 pictures ;)

OT, i'll watch this later on. It's neat the way MS have supported BC this gen. They've put the work in so they deserve the plaudits especially as each title needs massaging and tweaking to get it right and with from what i hear is a relatively small team.

WrKPhfd.gif

Krisprolls

Banned
Right, but Xbox is a console and it's new to consoles.

Okay, but I still don't understand MS strategy. I have a PS4 and a recent PC. I still don't understand why I would buy a Xbox One or a Xbox One X :

- every Xbox exclusive (the very few of them) is available on my PC on Windows
- they also play better on my PC
- every multiplatform game I also get the best version on my PC
- if I had bought a One instead of my PS4, I couldn't play any PS4 exclusive though, so why would I do that ?
- I can't play VR either on Xbox, while I can on PS4 or PC.
- I can play any older game in higher res on PC
- Games are also cheaper on PC.

Next gen why would I do anything different ? With a PC / PS4 combo (+ Switch if I want nintendo games) I get everything. With a PC / Xbox combo... not so much.

I just don't get their strategy.

Bramble

Holy crap who cares why they are doing it, these type of arguments are ridiculous. Sony fans literally putting up with less services and sony being a jackass about any type of BC so they can parade around forums waving the #1 flag.

Sony this gen are fucking lazy dont give a shit about its customers and arent lifting a finger to provide additional value and dumbass sony fans are like "well MS wouldn't be doing this if they were #1" Sony fans have such an obsession with sales numbers and being #1 they dont even care how Sony treats them. They are are more stock holders than gamers

I certainly don't, because I can hardly keep up with my backlog regarding new games, let alone play games I already finished. I already said it's a great gesture from MS, but some people are again hyperboling this as if it is an actual meant feature for the X. It's there for a reason and not just to please the players, is all I mean (just like the UHD player). Just be happy it's there and you are able to play more games and stop defending it for no reason (like the dude on top of the first page). No one said anything about BC being bad. Why so defensive?

To bad you are making it a VS. discussion (I was just pointing out why MS is doing this, nothing more, they're not a charity organisation or something), but Sony is lazy? They are actually creating new IP's and putting out new exclusive content. And in their remasters there has been put a lot more work than what MS does with enhancing 360 games. Yes it comes with a price, but that doesn't make it lazy. They are actually investing in studio's instead of focusing on multiplatform and games everybody already played. You call that lazy and supporting BC as much as MS is (because that's the only thing you can do to stand out a bit more) not? That said: I'd personally rather pay for a good remaster with actual improvements, than play, let's say, the PS3 version of the Last of Us with just a resolution bump.

Funny you call Sony fans that. MS fans (like yourself I guess) didn't care for the graphical superior multiplatform console experience for 4 years and now all of a sudden it's the wholy grail. And you know BC for PS3 is almost impossible because of the cell CPU, right?

Sony fans that bitched over the slightly better graphics the last 4 years are just as worse as MS fans bitching about it know.

mad597

Banned
Okay, but I still don't understand MS strategy. I have a PS4 and a recent PC. I still don't understand why I would buy a Xbox One or a Xbox One X :

- if I had bought a One instead of my PS4, I couldn't play any PS4 exclusive though, so why would I do that ?

Next gen why would I do anything different ? With a PC / PS4 combo I get everything. With a PC / Xbox combo... not so much.

They are giving value to their customers, They are allowing console gamers to carry their entire digital console library forward AND actually improve those games as time goes on.

This is not hard to understand, I don't know why people go all stupid about these types of features. This is a "CONSOLE" the fact you are a PC GAMER is not relevant. PC and Console platforms are DIFFERENT and serve different type of gamers but in this case MS is trying to borrow some benefits of PC gaming (game library moves forward) without having to deal with the downside of PC gaming.

It is pretty clear that giving customer confidence in the fact your digital games will move forward with you is a good thing for everyone involved. MS benefits by having me stay in their eco system over generations, I benefit cause my digital games are playable going forward on any Xbox hardware AND likely will look and run better when better Xbox hardware comes out. WHY is this so hard to understand for some people?

Krisprolls

Banned
They are ok with you having a PS4 and a PC. :)

I don't know man, they don't get a lot of money from me. I didn't subscribe to Xbox Live.

They need to do make all their exclusives multiplayer and being so good and numerous that we can't pass on Live.

They're hardly there...

RootCause

- every multiplatform game I also get the best version on my PC
- I can play any older game in higher res on PC
- Games are also cheaper on PC.

Next gen why would I do anything different ? With a PC / PS4 combo (+ Switch if I want nintendo games) I get everything. With a PC / Xbox combo... not so much.

Not everyone wants to build a gaming pc, or fiddle with settings. Also, gaming consoles are much smaller, allowing us to take it wherever we want when traveling, or visiting our friends. Did I mention it's also cheaper than building a pc? Really not hard to understand.

Top Bottom