• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecanada

I'm sure there is a significant amount of people who don't share white supremacist views, but just don't care about what Jontron said or why it's a big deal. From their point of view, Playtonic are being unfair to him and dropping him for their own petty reasons. I have had a few people who have said "I don't think he said anything racist" or "well he's not putting it in his videos so it shouldn't matter". So it's not like it's only white supremacists giving Playtonic shit.

yes and those people who just don't care don't go around shitting up forums and sending hate mail around either. They are apathetic which is also wrong but at least it's not actively being a shithead.

If they were reasonable they would know that companies drop you if you make them look bad. and your takeaway is don't do it. or fight for more workers rights.

Fliesen

I'm confused. How do you know thats what he said?

seriously?

edit: the third time he uses that incredibly witty phrase (at around 1:08), it clearly starts with "ni", the other times, you can hear "n..."

now guess what the censored word starting with n - or shall i rather say 'n-word' - would be, hmmm :/

Thud

Looking at the Facebook comments on any Playtonic posts right now is infuriating. I can understand if you decide to keep watching JonTron after all this, but to get so unreasonably mad at Playtonic just makes no sense.

Rational thought does not reach these minds.

Mesoian

"Adam Sandler's got famous for a reason".

Adam Sandler was good once. That's a terrible comparison and he does have a body of work that will stand the test of time. It's just not anything he's done in the last decade.

If you wanna a better analogy that serves both of our points, look at Tom Green and how his climb to fame ended with a whimper.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Facebook comments are trash, those people literally don't understand reality, not that they'd listen to any evidence anyway.

Speaking of evidence, I've found three videos so far of Jontron casually dropping the n-word in gamegrumps videos, uncensored.

https://youtu.be/Z3zEVPttE8w?t=9m32s
https://youtu.be/40jxosIWAS8?t=3m52s
https://youtu.be/sqaSlVMhoe0?t=10m14s

I couldn't hear it in the first one, but in the second two I think he's just trying (tastelessly) to be funny... He doesn't seem to be calling anyone that at least (except maybe himself).

painey

C7tWYjYXgAEyNWU.jpg

from my twitter feed. had me rolling.

The Dink

I ventured into the Steam forums and saw someone saying Islamphobia doesn't exist so I'm probably gonna kill myself idk

I saw a comment somewhere say they don't see how racism is different from atheists talking crap about Christianity. The mental loops the internet comes up with is mind-boggling.

NewGame

Banned
I don't know who this guy is, be he wasn't part of the original Kickstarter pitch so nothing has changed in my eyes.

Plus Let's Players are already scum in my eyes, It's always a pleasure too see them excluded.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wereroku

Its not scientific if you look up the origin of the theory. I'd offer the info on the name of the guy and the history of the theory but I tend to toss notes and forget info that is insanely faulty.

Yeah this is crazy. The only scientific benefit for lighter skin is the absorption of Vitamin D is easier to compensate for environments with less hours of sunlight. But in exchange they lose some amount of natural defense against the sun. One isn't better then the other it's all about your environments. I don't know how you could twist that into a superior evolution.

Painguy

Complaining and saying u wont buy the game cuz jon is in it is the same as saying you wont buy the game cuz jon isnt in it. In both situations ppl are acting childish expecting playtonic to be upholden to their personal ethical ideologies which is unfair. The rare guys previous games have never been ethical goldmines so no one should expect them to continue that trend. Ppl are financially punishing them for something that they are not obligated to care about. Implying they are ethically obligated is an unfair assumption to make. I dont understand y so many expect ethical altruism from indie devs these days. Its a unrealistic and unreasonable expectation.

Complaining and saying u wont buy the game cuz jon is in it is the same as saying you wont buy the game cuz jon isnt in it. In both situations ppl are acting childish expecting playtonic to be upholden to their personal ethical ideologies which is unfair. The rare guys previous games have never been ethical goldmines so no one should expect them to continue that trend. Ppl are financially punishing them for something that they are not obligated to care about. Implying they are ethically obligated is an unfair assumption to make. I dont understand y so many expect ethical altruism from indie devs these days. Its a unrealistic and unreasonable expectation.

So unrealistic and unreasonable that they did it lol

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow I started listening to the actual debate and jeez, what words were coming out of Jon's mouth...

He basically took the election as a war against whites. He refused to acknowledge that Trump debased that Mexican judge, the Irish stuff, etc... holy crap.

Anyways, props to Playtonic. It probably didn't sit well with them either.

JordanN

Banned
All these whiners losing their minds over Jon Tron's "free speech".

Where were they when their messiah Trump always tries to shut down the media?

Dzl6pOM.jpg

APF

Being anti-racist is not as bad as being racist. It's a reasonable expectation to think any company--big or small--will want to distance themselves from obviously racist figures. This is reflected in the fact that they did in fact remove him from the game, despite there being little public push against them to do so.

It's not childish to put ethical weight on your purchasing decisions in a capitalist system. At worst, it's a bit naive to think your $30 will send a message one way or another. But considering how little leverage the average person has in the matter, and how much rotten crap our money unintentionally goes to support in general, I applaud anyone for attempting to take a principled stand and behave in an ethical manner for themselves.

EDIT: I actually take a far dimmer view on mocking people for trying to put their money where their mouth is. Of all the things to champion in the world, why would you pick apathy?

NandoGip

This is the long and short of it indeed.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that some people actually did notice the satire and the rest pretty much called you on it. It's in fact a similar ratio to the reactions you got here, and your follow up posts on Steam weren't so blatant as the first one, so for once I think the "whoosh" is uncalled for.

He has two jobs, in one his boss was pro-Trump and in the other pro-Hillary? Doesn't seem that hard to compute...

Oh, I'm sorry the whoosh wasn't directed at you. When I linked you the first few responses of that thread went along with the satire.

Opa-Pa

Not wanting to support a game that features a known racist is definitely not the same as not doing it because it doesn't feature him.

Playtonic wasn't forced to anything but that kind of measure is expected from pretty much any company out there because Jon's behaviour is objectively bad and to have him participate in something you make is endorsement. The WWE immediately removed all ties with Hulk Hogan as soon as his racist shit went public just the same, this is how decent companies work and people are right to hold them to these standards. Hell, if you go tweet racist crap and someone notifies your boss, it's pretty likely you'll have your ass fired, this is common and how things should be; no one wants to associate with bad people, it's not correct and is bad for business too.

There's also the fact that people tend to see indie studios as more "human", so they expect even more from them when it comes to ethics, and Playtonic naturally delivered, so I don't see the issue.

Honestly, the only way your logic makes sense is if you assume these people are lying and just trying to "blackmail" Playtonic to do what they want, in which case... Why? Why is it so hard to believe someone won't want to support something where a known, popular racist worked on? It's okay to not be bothered by it, but I legitimately don't get why it's so weird to not like this.

You're overthinking this. Playtonic made the personal decision to exclude someone who they previously chose to include because they personally weren't comfortable with a known white supremacist being in the game they've been toiling away creating for years.

The mistake many people like you make is that you assume Playtonic was "caving" to demands to apply an ethical ideology that they may not have been comfortable with. No, this was a personal choice they themselves made, the attention given to this issue was very brief and minor prior to the their decision to remove Jon.

Toxi

Banned
Photosynthesis?
Is there any limit to the depth of their stupidity?
To be fair, we do require sunlight to synthesize vitamin D. It doesn't use the same pathways as what we typically refer to as photosynthesis though.

And lighter skin with less sunlight blocking pigment as a trait evolved so people could synthesize enough vitamin D in latitudes further from the equator where the daylight hours aren't consistent through the year. Enough vitamin D to not have weakened bones. Not so people could become Superman.

Also, all people synthesize vitamin D this way.

So basically, Dailystormer guy's a fucking dumbass.

People on Steam, Kickstarter and other places really think NeoGAF had something to do with this. I think they give the few in this forum who tweeted at them way too much power and are looking for a scapegoat.

People on Steam, Kickstarter and other places really think NeoGAF had something to do with this. I think they give the few in this forum who tweeted at them way too much power and are looking for a scapegoat.

I've also seen a lot of people just blame Tumblr, as though Tumblr isn't also infested with alt-right shit heads

Mask

words are just words,the problems are concepts and beliefs and the ones jontron expressed are unmistakably racist

Yup, was just showing those videos because he has no problem dropping racist words multiple times, so his excuses are pretty bull since he's been up to stuff way longer than just recent. More than likely, those views are ones he's had for a long long time.

Are you from the dimension where the thing that this thread is about didn't happen?

Saying you won't buy the game for a personal reason is in no way an expectation of the developer to adopt your "ethical ideologies." It's just saying you won't buy a game for a personal reason.

Anyway, companies generally try not to associate with dumbfuck racists. Not good for business, whether there's an ethical component for them or not.

Toxi

Banned
But you earlier said
Playtonic made the right choice

So what are you even talking about?

Painguy

You're overthinking this. Playtonic made the personal decision to exclude someone who they previously chose to include because they personally weren't comfortable with a known white supremacist being in the game they've been toiling away creating for years.

The mistake many people like you make is that you assume Playtonic was "caving" to demands to apply an ethical ideology that they may not have been comfortable with. No, this was a personal choice they themselves made, the attention given to this issue was very brief and minor prior to the their decision to remove Jon.

I could be overthinking it. Just to be clear im disgusted at what john said, but i just cant imagine playtonic caring too much given the content of their previous games. Only way I can imagine them making this move is if they were trying to avoid getting hirt financially. But as u said, i could be overthinking it.

But you earlier said

So what are you even talking about?

Im not slamming playtonic for removing john. John is a backwards dude. Im questioning those who say they wont buy a game with john in it.i just think its unfair to playtonic considering its just a few grunts.

I could be overthinking it. Just to be clear im disgusted at what john said, but i just cant imagine playtonic caring too much given the content of their previous games. Only way I can imagine them making this move is if they were trying to avoid getting hirt financially. But as u said, i could be overthinking it.

Im not slamming playtonic for removing john. John is a backwards dude. Im questioning those who say they wont buy a game with john in it.i just think its unfair to playtonic considering its just a few grunts.

You are over thinking it. Playtonic made the choice to remove Jon, as they don't agree with his racism and want to distance themselves away from him. I doubt they did this to avoid getting financially hurt or that people on GAF or any website were influencing this choice. I would have still bought the game if they still kept the voice but it does make me respect them more for standing up to this.

Stopdoor

I'm not seeing what in Rare's games ever reached the level of stuff Jon's been spitting out. They're British guys who toe the line with vulgar jokes, but that's pretty far removed from what's going on here.

Manzoon

Banned
that dril tweet has been running through my head so much after reading some of the replies in this thread

It is so perfect, it really encapsulates a lot of responses.

All of these bad tweets make me want to resuscitate my buried twitter account to say some positive things to Playtonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom