• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

I've literally been avoiding everything that has to do with P5 until I get it in my hands. Can't believe that it's a little over a week away, seeing those FUCKING DOPE-ASS menus alone gets me hyped.

Story stands completely on its own. There aren't even any cameos.

Persona 5 is very very accessible, they did a fantastic job ease you into all the mechanics while keep you engage from the very beginning.
Game open up at great pace, you won't get lost or overwhelm, can't recommend enough for anyone still on the fence.

Thanks for answering.

Looks like I'm going to get in on the Persona 5 hype.

Nightbird

It's been a whole year since i've been this hyped for a game, and this time around i don't think i'll end up disappointed.

This is going to be awesome!

Feep

Banned
My roommate is the voice actor for the MC. Please level all criticism toward me directly so I may make fun of him.

I thought he did a good job, at least from the trailers

My roommate is the voice actor for the MC. Please level all criticism toward me directly so I may make fun of him.

Nothing bad to say.. he's practically keifer' son. Few words here and there.

Nachos

I got strangely disappointed when Atlus PR accidentally revealed that his last name isn't actually Mobus a while ago.

Nightbird

You are Xanders roommate? :eek:

That's cool! I loved his work on Smash Bros!

1 hour in. Best Persona intro by far.

-It seems they may have fixed my only criticism about P4/P4G, which was the pacing during the first couple hours. Things are moving really fast (obviously I've only been playing 1 hour, but compared to P4's first hour I feel like I already got a wealth of information).

-Eng Voices are great, then again I never disliked dubs in both games and anime so I may not be the best judge.

-Love the fact that the protag finally has more than one voiced line.

-Already loving the style and gameplay. Art and HUDs are the best I've seen by art.

-One thing that stood out is that the visuals resemble Catherine quite a lot, even the movement of the protag feels similar to Vincent.

Well I gotta go bed because I pulled an all righter last night studying for a midterm. But I can't wait to wake up early and continue playing this.

I've been listening to the VA in a streaming and yes, I think he did a pretty good job as the MC (He's also Arsene's voice too, right?, he's even better as Arsene.)

About other voices compared to the Japanese VA:

Ryuji's voice is good, but not as good as the Japanese version.
I don't like Sojiro's voice here
Kamoshida is good, but doesn't sound like his Japanese counterpart. The same goes for the school staff in general. The Principal's pretty bad.
Morgana's okay but still it's not at the level of the Japanese version.
Goro is kinda okay too.
I don't like Ann.
Caroline and Justine don't convince me.
Igor is pretty good

Something to consider though... The pronunciation of Japanese names is pretty bad in general: you have one character saying "I'm Ryuji Sehkehmoto" and other character calling him "SA kamoto"

It'll jump up, take that bar, break it into half, and then put both broken halves back on higher than before.

...I think I might be overhyping too much/sounding like a fanboy.
You think? :p

But honestly, there is no way that this game will manage to be better than Persona 4. People who are saying it's better are still in the afterglow of playing a new mainline Persona. I'll only expect something on par with P4, and hope that P5 manages to reach that.

That's the best way to approach the game imo.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

But honestly, there is no way that this game will manage to be better than Persona 4. People who are saying it's better are still in the after glow of playing a new mainline Persona. I'll only expect something on par with P4, and hope that P5 manages to reach that.

Not in the afterglow I played this 6 months ago. Persona 5 is absolutely a better game by any objective standard. It's better written, the core theme is far better integrated, all gameplay systems improved, the production is of course higher given the newer hardware.

But I have and will always say these things don't matter all when it comes to what your favorite persona game is. What matters is whether you connect with the core themes and the characters in the game and that part is incredibly subjective.

The best example of this is Persona 3 vs 4. Persona 4 in a similar vein is an absolutely better game than Persona 3, it too is better written and has better gameplay. But some people still prefer 3 over 4 mainly because of the vibe and characters.

But honestly, there is no way that this game will manage to be better than Persona 4. People who are saying it's better are still in the after glow of playing a new mainline Persona. I'll only expect something on par with P4, and hope that P5 manages to reach that.

I know you're trying to keep your expectations on check but since we are a few days away from it's release, it's time to tell you you should let your hype go wild because this is the best Persona game ever made, and will be ranked pretty high as one of the best RPGs in years too.

I hope it's on par with persona 2, story wise!

Also small question for those who finished P5 :

Is there any bad consequenece in this game if you date everyone available? Like in Persona 3 where it impacted the gameplay etc... ?

Miang

I just.... I just need this game so much

pr5T49W.gif

ubiblu

Man, this thread is making me all sentimental about my JP playthrough. Best game in the past 10 years (well, it WAS before Breath of the Wild). Can't wait to jump back in with the English version in 12 days.

DagsJT

I'm only 7 hours into P4G, and I've just ordered a PSP and Trails In The Sky. I've got no room for P5.

But some of the comments here are making it really difficult to not purchase on day one.

But honestly, there is no way that this game will manage to be better than Persona 4. People who are saying it's better are still in the afterglow of playing a new mainline Persona. I'll only expect something on par with P4, and hope that P5 manages to reach that.

This must be my longest afterglow then, if it's lasting 6 months.

squall23

I'm only 7 hours into P4G, and I've just ordered a PSP and Trails In The Sky. I've got no room for P5.

But some of the comments here are making it really difficult to not purchase on day one.
No man, enjoy Golden. It's a really great game.

Mutombo

Is this worth it if you enjoy good RPG's, but have started to realize that anime is pretty much aimed at high school teenagers, and that you sort of feel guilty when you try to seek entertainment in some occasional recommendations on Kotaku, only to find that you can't be bothered after 5 minutes, because yet again, you're not a Japanese high school student with tough luck finding love?

artsi

Is this worth it if you enjoy good RPG's, but have started to realize that anime is pretty much aimed at high school teenagers, and that you sort of feel guilty when you try to seek entertainment in some occasional recommendations on Kotaku, only to find that you can't be bothered after 5 minutes, because yet again, you're not a Japanese high school student with tough luck finding love?

I'll be 30 soon and I don't watch anime, but Persona games are my favourite JRPG's. Please give it a go despite the art style, it's still pretty mature in many ways.

Mutombo

I'll be 30 soon and I don't watch anime, but Persona games are my favourite JRPG's. Please give it a go despite the art style, it's still pretty mature in many ways.

I don't mind the art style actually; I'm mostly tired of really 'anime-y' tropes, that seem to cater either to both high school boys and or lonely old men, who have a virginity in common that will haunt both groups till their death. If you know what I mean. If Persona is without them, then yeah, I'll be interested to see what the fuss is about!

Cornbread78

This had to have been sold at that shop between 31-33 & 6th in NYC... right? Only a couple blocks from MSG..

Found that shop during a business trip in Dec. Prices are really high, but it's a goldmine of Asian/Japanese versions of games.

Squire

Banned

Potter-kun and Togami living together is a pretty entertaining image, so thanks for that.

Something to consider though... The pronunciation of Japanese names is pretty bad in general: you have one character saying "I'm Ryuji Sehkehmoto" and other character calling him "SA kamoto"

This irks me. With the seven month delay (#ForeverSalty) between Japan and NA releases, you would have thought, oh, they might have had time to correct things like this.

bluethree

I know you're trying to keep your expectations on check but since we are a few days away from it's release, it's time to tell you you should let your hype go wild because this is the best Persona game ever made, and will be ranked pretty high as one of the best RPGs in years too.

Seriously guys, it really is that good. No need to hold back your expectations on this one.

I'm still blown away by Persona 5's awesome presentation every time I see the game. How the menu's animate and the pop of the bright colours, it all looks very slick and polished. I can definitely see this being on my GOTY list.

SomTervo

I'm a big critic of anime stuff but there are some works that pull off the high school/young adult fiction thing well, and Persona is one of them.

Even if some of the banter is a bit cringe, the actual context, relationships and story are usually pretty on-point and not based entirely around high school awkwardness.

A nice thing about Persona is that actually getting to know people on a deeper level is part of the game mechanics (your Persona (like Pokémon) get more powerful the more you befriend certain people) so the game inherently forces itself to have some deeper relationships/connections and often these break outside of 'high school' to older adults, younger kids, etc.

I'm a big critic of anime stuff but there are some works that pull off the high school/young adult fiction thing well, and Persona is one of them.

Even if some of the banter is a bit cringe, the actual context, relationships and story are usually pretty on-point and not based entirely around high school awkwardness.

A nice thing about Persona is that actually getting to know people on a deeper level is part of the game mechanics (your Persona (like Pokémon) get more powerful the more you befriend certain people) so the game inherently forces itself to have some deeper relationships/connections and often these break outside of 'high school' to older adults, younger kids, etc.
I also heard the story goes quite dark really fast.
Not to mention that the cast is a group of delinquents and the main character has a criminal record and is on probation, so there is very little that connects the characters with the usual flat and tropey archetypes most of us are sick of.

SomTervo

I also heard the story goes quite dark really fast.
Not to mention that the cast is a group of delinquents and the main character has a criminal record and is on probation, so there is very little that connects the characters with the usual flat and tropey archetypes most of us are sick of.

Honestly, if someone can confirm for me that the characters aren't flat archetypes (they're even flat archetypes in the other Persona games I've played and seen) then I will buy Persona 5 day one.

Literally the thing I like the least about all anime and anime-styled works is the characters. Literally one in a thousand characters is well written, well developed or truly unusual (99% of the 'unusual' ones are 'token weirdos').

Literally the thing I like the least about all anime and anime-styled works is the characters. Literally one in a thousand characters is well written, well developed or truly unusual (99% of the 'unusual' ones are 'token weirdos').

Can't comment on how flat or fleshed out the characters are or aren't since I don't have the game, but damn.

Why paint with a broad brush when you can just use a paint roller, eh?

Top Bottom