• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 doesn't output 5.1 very well

vato_loco

It's been a while since my PS4 has been connected to my (very old) Sony Home Theater, and to this day I can't quite manage to make it work as well as I'd hope.

My Home Theater is a pretty old Sony 5.1, 600W RMS, connected via Optical Cable because I'm pretty sure HDMI wasn't even a thing when I bought it. I'm talking PS2 days. It sounds pretty damn impressive, but the PS4 doesn't seem to output actual 5.1 sound. Mostly because on some scenes where there should be explosions and stuff, they just don't come out. Like there'd be a huge-ass boss exploding yesterday in Nier Automata and all I could hear was silence. Not COMPLETE silence, but the explosion felt like I was listening to it from a couple of states away.

It has happened in many other games, Final Fantasy XV and Horizon Zero Dawn being other examples. I've already configured it on any of the three Sound options the PS4 has (Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby and Bitsteam DTS), but I'm not even sure what they mean. And I know the sound is actually coming out of all speakers because of this:

A4zrLzm.jpg

If the small boxes on the upper left hand are filled, sound is actually coming out from there.

So, GAF, any sound experts out there? Care to explain how this could work and what do those options mean?

TL;DR my PS4 doesn't output 5.1 correctly and I don't know how to configure both the HT and the console to make it work.

I have a 1200es Sony receiver, also using optical, try setting it to either Dolby Bitstream or DTS Bitstream.

On the receiver, try setting it to A.F.D Auto via remote if you have the option.

XenIneX

Clearly, Dolby has changed their licensing and branding policies quite drastically, because I seem to have missed that I am catastrophically wrong.

5.1 gaming over optical/coax requires live hardware encoding to DD/DTS (which the PS4 doesn't have) or Pro-logic encoding built into the game (which most devs won't bother with). Long story short, it's not happening.

Accept that HDMI is the future (or current, rather), optical/coax is a legacy tech, and you need to start saving up for a new HDMI receiver.

ZOONAMI

5.1 gaming over optical/coax requires live hardware encoding to DD/DTS (which the PS4 doesn't have) or Pro-logic encoding built into the game (which most devs won't bother with). Long story short, it's not happening.

Accept that HDMI is the future (or current, rather), optical/coax is a legacy tech, and you need to start saving up for a new HDMI receiver.

Wait... PS4 can do encoded DTS/DD. Unless my receiver is doing the work?

My problem is that I don't want to move off of my Sony receiver that doesn't have 4k inputs because it has this dope breakout box for wireless rear speakers. I just run optical out of the TV and I can't really hear a difference between DD/DTS and LPCM 5.1 using the hdmi through the receiver.

Pagusas

Elden Member

this information is incorrect. Sometimes I wish we could flag stuff like this to prevent bad info from spreading on gaf.

XenIneX

Wait... PS4 can do encoded DTS/DD. Unless my receiver is doing the work?

My problem is that I don't want to move off of my Sony receiver that doesn't have 4k inputs because it has this dope breakout box for wireless rear speakers. I just run optical out of the TV and I can't really hear a difference between DD/DTS and LPCM 5.1 using the hdmi through the receiver.

It can bitstream or decode DD/DTS from Blurays and streaming video. Realtime encoding from interactive content (games) requires Dolby Digital Live (or its DTS equivalent).

That tech, however, was rendered largely stillborn a decade ago. For good reason. It was stupidly expensive to license, it required dedicated silicon, it was rendered pointless by ubiquitous HDMI, and it added massive amounts of audio latency. (Seriously; I recall having to figure out how to compensate for something like 150ms of audio lag back in DDL's brief glory days on the nForce 2 chipset.)

vato_loco

I've already tried setting it to Bitstream Dolby and Bitstream DTS, to no avail.

Also set my HT to AFD Auto. I'm trying with DTS again now, see if there's any difference.

ZOONAMI

It can bitstream or decode DD/DTS from Blurays and streaming video. Realtime encoding from interactive content (games) requires Dolby Digital Live (or its DTS equivalent).

That tech, however, was rendered largely stillborn a decade ago. For good reason. It was stupidly expensive to license, it required dedicated silicon, it was rendered pointless by ubiquitous HDMI, and it added massive amounts of audio latency. (Seriously; I recall having to figure out how to compensate for something like 150ms of audio lag back in DDL's brief glory days on the nForce 2 chipset.)

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure my receiver display says DD when playing games. Lemme check.

Yep, it appears you are correct. So stereo only for games via optical huh.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Please stop.

ZOONAMI

Please stop.

I think he is actually correct. Just played horizon and LPCM is displayed on my receiver not DD or DTS like it does if I'm streaming a vudu movie or something. So yeah stereo LPCM support only for games over optical.

Ryuukan

I think he is actually correct. Just played horizon and LPCM is displayed on my receiver not DD or DTS like it does if I'm streaming a vudu movie or something. So yeah stereo LPCM support only for games over optical.

Yes optical only has enough bandwidth for stereo LPCM, so set your PS4 to bitstream DTS or DD for 5.1 and ignore the fake news audiophile guy

Me playing BF4... Optical and DTS, though I can switch it to Dolby on PS4 and still works.
3gTp5q.jpg

LPCM won't work for multichannel gaming. Bitstream (DTS/Dolby) needs to be selected on PS4 as Primary output. I always get multichannel support this way while gaming.

mistermuddles

Neo Member
So, I have 2 of the best Sony 5.1 receivers ever made (the DA777ES and DA5ES) and run them both with a PS3 and PS4 using the optical audio out. I've never had any issues... I have noticed that some games prefer the Dolby Setting compared to DTS, however. DTS provides slightly better bass but otherwise there's not a ton of difference between the 2 formats. Make sure that you have ONLY DTS or ONLY Bitstream selected.

Are you getting proper output when playing other games or watching shows on Netflix?

It's likely that it could be something wrong with the settings on your receiver, I would try and clear the memory of the receiver (google your model number and read the manual to find this info) and then make sure you run the setup on the receiver and make sure it is set up correctly.

Make sure all your connections are good with your speakers and things like that, try and see if the problem is isolated to just a specific game / your PS4 or if it happens when watching a DVD or bluray, etc.

mistermuddles

Neo Member
Make sure you have AFD (Auto Format Decode) selected and you've got the speaker selector where it needs to be (e.g. Just A, or just B, depending on your setup). If it is a 7.1 system or one that offers Surround Back inputs and Surround Left and Right speaker inputs you are using the correct ones for 5.1. You should have your rear speakers connected to the right terminals on your receiver -- don't use SURROUND BACK, use SURROUND REAR or L R

mistermuddles

Neo Member
I would also turn off Dynamic Range and try using a different optical out port if you have more than 1. Sorry for the multiple posts.

vato_loco

So, I have 2 of the best Sony 5.1 receivers ever made (the DA777ES and DA5ES) and run them both with a PS3 and PS4 using the optical audio out. I've never had any issues... I have noticed that some games prefer the Dolby Setting compared to DTS, however. DTS provides slightly better bass but otherwise there's not a ton of difference between the 2 formats. Make sure that you have ONLY DTS or ONLY Bitstream selected.

Are you getting proper output when playing other games or watching shows on Netflix?

It's likely that it could be something wrong with the settings on your receiver, I would try and clear the memory of the receiver (google your model number and read the manual to find this info) and then make sure you run the setup on the receiver and make sure it is set up correctly.

Make sure all your connections are good with your speakers and things like that, try and see if the problem is isolated to just a specific game / your PS4 or if it happens when watching a DVD or bluray, etc.
I have excellent sound when playing Netflix or any 5.1 movie on Plex. I have to do a bit of configuration to make it work in Blu-Ray movies, but I don't use it that often for that.

I triple checked the back connections and they're fine. Unfortunately, it only has a single optical output...

I'll definitely try to reset my receiver, see where that takes me.

Thanks for all the answers!

Cornbread78

Maybe I can ask this here.

Lately the sound breaks up and fades in and out when playing games. I use the Gold wireless headset and thought it was a bad bt connection, so I plugged headphones into the controller and get the same thing. Anyone elsr have this happen? Is there a setting to fix this?

vato_loco

Lately the sound breaks up and fades in and out when playing games. I use the Gold wireless headset and thought it was a bad bt connection, so I plugged headphones into the controller and get the same thing. Anyone elsr have this happen? Is there a setting to fix this?
It may sound dumb, but try disconnecting whatever you have in the other USB port and also disconnect the headset's USB dongle. Now connect the USB dongle to the other USB port and give it a shot.

Cornbread78

It may sound dumb, but try disconnecting whatever you have in the other USB port and also disconnect the headset's USB dongle. Now connect the USB dongle to the other USB port and give it a shot.

I'll give it a shot in a bit, ty. Something has to work.

mistermuddles

Neo Member
I have excellent sound when playing Netflix or any 5.1 movie on Plex. I have to do a bit of configuration to make it work in Blu-Ray movies, but I don't use it that often for that.

I triple checked the back connections and they're fine. Unfortunately, it only has a single optical output...

I'll definitely try to reset my receiver, see where that takes me.

Thanks for all the answers!

Make sure you turn off dynamic range and see if that does anything. Do the ALL CLEAR on the receiver, and run the setup again. I'm assuming you do have a true 5.1 setup (2 fronts, a center, 2 rear, and a sub)? If you don't have all those speakers make sure you disable the ones you don't have in the setup menu. Try setting your speakers to SMALL or LARGE depending on what size they are and whether they can handle low frequencies -- unless you have really nice speakers usually its best to set them as SMALL. Make sure the distance settings are correct and read the manual to ensure their aren't any settings enabled that might be causing the problem.

KdMgMan

I sort of have the same problem since launch. Anytime there's a brief moment of silence the audio will start to fade in when sounds starts to play again. This is the biggest reason i never used my ps4 to watch any media on.

vato_loco

Make sure you turn off dynamic range and see if that does anything. Do the ALL CLEAR on the receiver, and run the setup again. I'm assuming you do have a true 5.1 setup (2 fronts, a center, 2 rear, and a sub)? If you don't have all those speakers make sure you disable the ones you don't have in the setup menu. Try setting your speakers to SMALL or LARGE depending on what size they are and whether they can handle low frequencies -- unless you have really nice speakers usually its best to set them as SMALL. Make sure the distance settings are correct and read the manual to ensure their aren't any settings enabled that might be causing the problem.

That Dynamic Range thing should be disabled on the receiver or on the PS4? My setup is indeed 2 fronts, one center, 2 rears and a sub. I'm gonna go look for that manual right now, see if I even have that SMALL or LARGE option. It's a really old receiver, after all.

Unfortunately, buying a new one is out of the picture. They're extremely expensive in my country, with a crappy one at the equivalent of US$900, and a sorta good Yamaha at almost US$2000.

mistermuddles

Neo Member
That Dynamic Range thing should be disabled on the receiver or on the PS4? My setup is indeed 2 fronts, one center, 2 rears and a sub. I'm gonna go look for that manual right now, see if I even have that SMALL or LARGE option. It's a really old receiver, after all.

Unfortunately, buying a new one is out of the picture. They're extremely expensive in my country, with a crappy one at the equivalent of US$900, and a sorta good Yamaha at almost US$2000.

I think most Sony receivers will have that option for small or large speakers but I am not sure with your specific model. The dynamic range is a setting on your receiver -- I'm mainly bringing it up because the option is illuminated on your face plate as D.RANGE. You might want to look at the LFE settings as well. Another things to be sure of is that the toslink/optical cable is seated correctly or hasn't been damaged in some way that is compromising its functionality. On my PS4 the housing for the cable is kind of loose so you may want to jiggle it around and make sure its seated correctly, Do you have another optical cable you could try?

vato_loco

I think most Sony receivers will have that option for small or large speakers but I am not sure with your specific model. The dynamic range is a setting on your receiver -- I'm mainly bringing it up because the option is illuminated on your face plate as D.RANGE. You might want to look at the LFE settings as well. Another things to be sure of is that the toslink/optical cable is seated correctly or hasn't been damaged in some way that is compromising its functionality. On my PS4 the housing for the cable is kind of loose so you may want to jiggle it around and make sure its seated correctly, Do you have another optical cable you could try?

Only cable I have. I know it works because with Plex it works like a charm, so I'm sure that's not it. I'm looking at that Dynamic Range thing, too. I already disabled it, I'm gonna see if it works.

ZOONAMI

Yes optical only has enough bandwidth for stereo LPCM, so set your PS4 to bitstream DTS or DD for 5.1 and ignore the fake news audiophile guy

Yeah, this is weird then. My PS4 Pro I just tested both on DD and DTS and for horizon it is showing LPCM on my receiver. I could swear it has said Dolby or DTS for other games. Need to do some more testing I guess.

Same situation here, some games are ok but others are completely broken, for example Until Dawn, I just gave up and bought a used 2007 Sony receiver with hdmi until stuff with the new hdmi standard comes out.

Cornbread78

I sort of have the same problem since launch. Anytime there's a brief moment of silence the audio will start to fade in when sounds starts to play again. This is the biggest reason i never used my ps4 to watch any media on.

It happens in the middle of gameplay for me..

kaydigi

Going to sub to this thread so I can post my settings when I get home from work. I have the same reciever, I bought it to play NBA 2k6 in surround sound and I am currently playing 2k17 on a regular 4 in 5.1 via optical.

I'm jealous because your screen is bright, mine is burnt out completely.

OP, is that a pic when you're trying to use your PS4? If not, can you take one of when you are so I can read the display to maybe help figure out your problem?

If that is when you're using your PS4, then for some reason it's only outputting Dolby Pro Logic and not Dolby Digital. As for the settings, make sure you set Primary Output Port to optical and not HDMI and then for Audio Format, set it to Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS) since it looks like receiver should support both of those. Do not set it to LPCM.

vato_loco

OP, is that a pic when you're trying to use your PS4? If not, can you take one of when you are so I can read the display to maybe help figure out your problem?

If that is when you're using your PS4, then for some reason it's only outputting Dolby Pro Logic and not Dolby Digital. As for the settings, make sure you set Primary Output Port to optical and not HDMI and then for Audio Format, set it to Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS) since it looks like receiver should support both of those. Do not set it to LPCM.
Here you go. This is with a game on. Nier Automata, more specifically.

Just, just tried, but no dice, still breaks up.
Crap, that's about the only solution I've seen offline. There's that and a bunch of people saying it started happening when they dropped their headphones a bit too much. Do you have anything new in the room that could be interfering with the signal? New router, a Switch?

ZOONAMI

Yeah so that one poster was posting FUD. My wireless rears were turned off. Now playing horizon with DTS no problem

Goes to show I'm not much of an audiophile when I don't even realize my rears were off. I did notice the difference with them back on though lol.

Cornbread78

Crap, that's about the only solution I've seen offline. There's that and a bunch of people saying it started happening when they dropped their headphones a bit too much. Do you have anything new in the room that could be interfering with the signal? New router, a Switch?

Nothing. I wish it was an easy thing.. uuggh

vato_loco

According to that you're receiving a 5.1 DTS signal. Are you saying you're not getting it?
The signal I'm getting is somewhat... incomplete. Like, explosions and other loud things sound like a whisper.

The signal I'm getting is somewhat... incomplete. Like, explosions and other loud things sound like a whisper.

Have you tried adjusting the volume of each speaker individually? A 3db boost to the ones you find quiet can make a noticeable difference... That or run the sound test again if you have the mic that came with the unit.

Grassy

It sounds like you have your amp configured in the options to include a speaker you don't have, sub/center maybe?

Yeah either that or the speaker levels are muted or something. I'd also check the wiring and make sure everything is hooked up correctly too OP.

NinjaBoiX

Man, I used to be all about this stuff back in the day. Now I play games on a tiny little 20 odd inch set with some plug in stereo speakers and I'm quite happy with that.

Clockwork

I really hate coming into a thread and seeing inaccurate and/or downright false info.

Games are presented just fine in 5.1 Dolby Digital and/or DTS on the PS4 via optical connection.

If it's not working right there is something wrong with your configuration/setup.

vato_loco

Checked the entire manual. I tried modifying a couple more things, but I'm not sure it's gonna work anymore. Maybe you guys are right and this thing is just too old. Too bad it's impossible to afford a new one...

Iorv3th

You say you have all speakers hooked up but try disconnecting them and reconnecting them if you can. Sometimes the cables can have a bad connection and you only get a faint sound coming through the speaker. Most of these cheaper HTIB setups come with really poorly shielded and weak speaker cable.

Your explosions for the most part should be coming through the center speaker and subwoofer. But it's probably a passive subwoofer so you aren't going to hear much. However everything should be faint over it and not just explosions. Unless your speakers are blown.

Top Bottom