• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

sublimit

Banned
I will definitely get this game at some point but right now i have too much on my plate and i also don't have a 3DS yet (i'm waiting to get the New 3DS.)
I really hope the game sells well enough in the west though.

Santar

You're at it again ?
You're really stubborn or bored to bully this little game.

For the last time :

You want something really unfair ?
Then go ask Wasteland 2 dev why the physical copy is cheaper (in EU) than the Steam version.
What are you talking about? Bullying the game? I just want people to be aware of them holding back content to sell as say 1 dlc.
I'm actually super excited for this game, been hoping for a localization ever since the japanese version was announced.

I will buy the dlc too, but that doesn't mean I like the way they're doing it.
It's not about money for me, it's about witholding content that should have been on the physical cart since it was in Japan.

Holding back content like they're doing here is a horrible horrible trend and people should know about it, if enough noise is made perhaps this won't happen in the future.

What are you talking about? Bullying the game? I just want people to be aware of them holding back content to sell as say 1 dlc.
I'm actually super excited for this game, been hoping for a localization ever since the japanese version was announced.

It's not about money for me, it's about witholding content that should have been on the physical cart since it was in Japan.

Holding back content like they're doing here is a horrible horrible trend and people should know about it, if enough noise is made perhaps this won't happen in the future.

Honestly, how is the DLC for Fantasy Life any different from the DLC from Mario Golf?

Not here to argue but I see no merit for all the complaints about it

Meffer

If they included the DLC in the game it's would've likely increased the price which would've scared away potential buyers.

Busaiku

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will cost the same as almost every other 3DS game.
Bravely Default cost just as much as almost every other 3DS game.
Tales of Graces f cost as much as almost every other PS3 game.

They didn't have to increase the price at all.
Honestly, how is the DLC for Fantasy Life any different from the DLC from Mario Golf?

This is different because Mario Golf was launched simultaneously (or relatively close) worldwide.
Fantasy Life was released in Japan almost 2 years ago, Fantasy Life Link was released as a full packaged game about 1.5 years ago.
It would be like if Nintendo decided to launch Mario Golf in Japan, release all the DLC and a GOTY edition, but then released just the base game for full price in other regions, but then still charged for all that DLC that's in the GOTY edition.

I dont know how much you know about japanese culture (Im an expert) , but day one dlc and held back content is a Huge part of it.

also

Banned
You should add to the OP that people that buy the DLC can't play with people that don't have the DLC.

I'll quote myself from the other thread.
Let's make this clearer.

-Capcom releases Street Fighter 5 in Japan.
-7 months later they discontinue the original SF5 and release the Ultra ZX edition; you can either buy the retail version of Ultra ZX or upgrade your SF5 through DLC at a heavy discount
-another 1 year and 2 months later, the West finally gets Street Fighter 5

Question time; which version do you think the West should get?
-The full Ultra ZX edition
-A cut Ultra ZX edition that requires you to buy some of the content as DLC

also

Banned
Oh thanks will update the dlc info when I'm back on my laptop but gonna read into it more before adding that first.

It's from the official site so it should be accurate.

''Please note:
Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack.''

It would probably be best to also mention that you can only access the DLC after finishing the main story and that you have to activate it in-game.

''The Expansion Pack needs to be activated in-game after purchase, and this can only occur once the main story has been completed.''

It's from the official site so it should be accurate.

''Please note:
Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack.''

It would probably be best to also mention that you can only access the DLC after finishing the main story and that you have to activate it in-game.

''The Expansion Pack needs to be activated in-game after purchase, and this can only occur once the main story has been completed.''
Ah will add this in, rather odd that it splits the base off if people purchase the DLC straight away, guess I'll buy it after the main game or depending how most of my friendlist is buying straight away or not.

also

Banned
Oh wow, I didn't know this. This makes things a little harder - especially if not very many are going to buy the DLC :/
There's no rush to buy the DLC as you won't be able to access until after the main story anyway.

Ah will add this in, rather odd that it splits the base off if people purchase the DLC straight away, guess I'll buy it after the main game or depending how most of my friendlist is buying straight away or not.
The official page does say ''purchased'', but maybe the split doesn't occur until after you activate it in-game. I hope someone will test this and report back.

There's no rush to buy the DLC as you won't be able to access until after the main story anyway.

The official page does say ''purchased'', but maybe the split doesn't occur until after you activate it in-game. I hope someone will test this and report back.

Yeah hopefully someone will report back on this, it's a shame that we can't directly tweet to Nintendo for answers and even if we email customers service they may not be that helpful, I'll try emailing Nintendo UK's support and see if they'll reply.

Meffer

When I get the game, I'm going to the DLC as soon as I finish downloading the game. You might want to make a list who will get the DLC or not.
If you do, add me as one getting it.

Argh! I don't have a 3DS right now, it broke, otherwise this would be a Day 1. This game has me crazy hyped. Hopefully i can figure out my handheld issues or I might need to wait on the new 3DS to launch before I can get into this.

Velcro Fly

It sucks but if it's $8 or something I'm just going to suck it up. I had already planned on taking a look at the "make the game less tedious" DLC so I don't mind dropping $10 or $15 more if I enjoy the game.

that makes the whole selling it seperate rather than being part of the game even worse :/

Kouriozan

Oh wow, I didn't know this. This makes things a little harder - especially if not very many are going to buy the DLC :/

You can't activate the DLC until you defeat the final boss, that mean even if people bought it, they can play with everyone who haven't finished the story.

Velcro Fly

Trying to decide on a character name. I have one in mind but I think it's going to be too long. Going with the theme that my Animal Crossing town is named Narnia, I'd love to name my Fantasy Life character after my favorite character from that book series but I have my doubts that I'll be able to have 10 characters for my name. I thought I remembered hearing the limit was 8 :(

Linius

cant wait for my preorder to ship, and Smash one week later? There goes my free time

Yeah, this, Smash and Pokémon about 1,5 month after. And for those who play FIFA, there's also that next week.

Trying to decide on a character name. I have one in mind but I think it's going to be too long. Going with the theme that my Animal Crossing town is named Narnia, I'd love to name my Fantasy Life character after my favorite character from that book series but I have my doubts that I'll be able to have 10 characters for my name. I thought I remembered hearing the limit was 8 :(

I'm just gonna go with Linius, which comes from my favourite book series (as a kid). And it's a name that fits with fantasy themes.

daydream

Banned
You can't activate the DLC until you defeat the final boss, that mean even if people bought it, they can play with everyone who haven't finished the story.

Yeah, I thought it was a clumsy way to handle it but it actually mitigates the split userbase thing a bit. The people who are going to finish the game will probably be the ones hooked and willing to buy the DLC.

I really want to buy the game as I adore Level 5 but early reviews are mostly lukewarm - anyone got the Japanese game and can tell me if it's really good?

Linius

So far on Metacritic it's doing pretty good. Only two sour reviews who drag down the average score pretty hard.

daydream

Banned
So far on Metacritic it's doing pretty good. Only two sour reviews who drag down the average score pretty hard.

I don't care, at all, about the reviews but I know other people do, so keep that in mind when I say that fucking Metro and other non-gaming publications shouldn't be reviewing games.

Linius

I don't care, at all, about the reviews but I know other people do, so keep that in mind when I say that fucking Metro and other non-gaming publications shouldn't be reviewing games.

Yeah me neither. I rarely read reviews tbh. I just get caught up in the hype and buy a game :p

Nice to see the DLC pricing but is kind of destroys my theory of making the game a lower price tier than including it would be. Game is £35...I'd assume including it would make game £40 like say Bravely Default. If only the DLC were £2 cheaper...

The DLC can be deleted and redownloaded free of charge (if it works like all other 3DS titles) should DLC players want to play non-DLC players. I know it is pretty damned stupid though...

Unless your save file messed up if you do that which would be even more stupid.

MicH

Nice to see the DLC pricing but is kind of destroys my theory of making the game a lower price tier than including it would be. Game is £35...I'd assume including it would make game £40 like say Bravely Default. If only the DLC were £2 cheaper...

The DLC can be deleted and redownloaded free of charge (if it works like all other 3DS titles) should DLC players want to play non-DLC players. I know it is pretty damned stupid though...

Doesn't the DLC up the level limit or something like that? I could imagine deleting it could have some sort of repercussions

also

Banned

Have you tested this out? The official webpage says those that ''purchased'' and not those that ''activated'' are split from those that didn't buy the DLC.

Excellent work on the OP, can't wait for this! As much as I want to go day one, I may have to hold off for a few weeks considering Smash comes out earlier in the month... But then Pokemon next month... Fuck.

also

Banned

DLC has new equipment, new pets and a higher level cap. If you delete it I'm almost 100% certain it would mess with your save file.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
SO ready for this!
So there's no in-game chat/communication until you activate the DLC in post-game, right...?

No, it's there without the DLC:

Fantasy Life can be played with up to 2 other friends online or locally with Link Mode, an online communication tool, discover it by paying an in-game visit to the Guild Office in the town of Castele; once activated it will allow you to connect with friends when they are playing Fantasy Life at the same time, and exchange messages and valuable tips during game play.

You can even keep your friends informed of your in-game exploits, Link Mode contains a notification setting to communicate your achievements, and you can ‘Applaud’ the landmarks reached by others. Online multiplayer also has an incorporated chat system, so players can communicate when they are on a hunt, or foraging for precious items!

Doesn't say anything about DLC.

I really want to buy the game as I adore Level 5 but early reviews are mostly lukewarm - anyone got the Japanese game and can tell me if it's really good?

Just do not expect an epic jRPGs or a deep combat system; then, you will enjoy this game a lot. Think about a mainline DQ with less story, real-time battles à la KH, and a big world to explore.

yayaba

So those that have played co-op (if I can even call it that), how does it work? Is it just the main story that you cannot progress together? Can you:

1) Pick up side quests together
2) Or is your quest list basically locked down when someone comes to visit and so at least your friends can help you complete your quests (and vice versa?).
3) Or can you not even complete side quests together and it's just free roaming, kill creeps, and trade items?

1 would be awesome, 2 just as good, and 3 the worst.

I've been getting my wife really into simulation games recently (Tomodachi Life, Rune Factory 4, and now Animal Crossing) so this seems like the next logical step for her. Great thing about AC is we can actually somewhat play together as well.

Top Bottom