• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for "Battletoads"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even know that Rare owned the rights to Battletoads.

This is interesting. Remake incoming? I could only imagine the designs getting a Nicktoon TMNT treatment.

Dr.Acula

Banned
iZa5MPO1p2AjL.gif

KI, Phantom Dust, Battletoads... MS wasn't kidding about old revivals.

But hey, don't bother doing Banjo or Conker, that would make too much sense :p

Xater

Battletoads wasn't a big franchise back in the late-80s/early 90s when it was relevant, but it was a good series of side-scrolling beatemups.

If they are reviving it, hopefully it remains a beatemup. I imagine it'd be like some sort of amphibious version of God Hand or a similarly stylish character action game of these modern days.

I'd disagree. I think Battletoads sucked.

Jotthah

Was Battletoads actually good and well-received or is it just the meme-status for being ridiculously hard and unforgiving?

I for one really liked Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. It was tough as nails (especially the hoverbike part) but the game was fun.

kick51

Banned
Was Battletoads actually good and well-received or is it just the meme-status for being ridiculously hard and unforgiving?

Not all that great of a game and the series is downhill from there. Most people didn't get past the speeder bikes and if they did, they'd find that the later levels are even more ridiculous.

Then several years ago 4channers started calling Gamestops and asking to pre-order Battletoads, which gave it meme status.

I'm guessing MS has been bombarded with Battletoads requests in light of this and is misinterpreting it as people actually wanting Battletoads.

emb

New Battletoads time!

Only playable online in the cloud through Xbox 1. Base game is free, but contains only one level. Additional characters, levels, and continues, will need to be paid for and downloaded. Can also buy co-op dlc option. And to keep it from being too good, only playable with new original "fat" Xbox controller adapter peripheral.

Still salty that they used Killer Instinct to experiment with the business model. V.V

You're right, they arent the same studio. You dont want this Rare working on this game

Double Helix somehow found a way to make KI a good game, maybe they can get a 3rd party to do the same for Battletoads

but Rare wont be the studio to do so.

That said, I cant wait for them to disappoint everyone with whatever announcement they make!

Rare might have had a lot of employee turnover, but considering they haven't been given a chance to develop something based on their older IPs who is to say they can't make a decent Battletoads game?

If Double Helix can make a good KI why can't Rare? Did DH have any former Rare employees?

And before anyone says "Nuts & Bolts" Gregg Mayles was the designer on the original and is still there and still chose to makes Nuts & Bolts what it was, for better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom