• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

Why? Unless your gym has a ton of squat racks, you're probably impeding someone elses workouts unnecessarily.

Straight bar curls are also much worse on your wrists.

I figured by now a recommendation to curl in the squat rack would be viewed as facetious.

The part about the straight bar though, to my knowledge, is true. I believe this is also covered in Starting Strength in the 'So you're gonna do curls anyway' chapter.

Mully

Get to the gym and realize I forget half my stuff when I open my gym bag =/ No workout and mood ruined. Blah!

Half your stuff? Like shorts and a t-shirt? Otherwise, I really don't think forgetting gloves, belt, chalk, pre, post won't stop you from working out.

Get to the gym and realize I forget half my stuff when I open my gym bag =/ No workout and mood ruined. Blah!
Haha, a couple weeks ago I spent 10 minutes circling the gym parking lot in the rain, finally found someone leaving, got out, opened trunk, forgot my gym bag. I only had my office clothes, so I just went home. Sucks. But I just went the next day.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I'm inclined to say that if straight bar curls are given you major wrist pain, you should strengthen your grip/wrists and flexibility.

Wrist pain with straight bar curls is very common, I've always had it.

It's actually more of a bone pain especially when releasing the weight.

My grip is not weak :/

kylej

Banned
I suggest curling an Olympic bar in the squat rack.

I had two old dudes staring daggers into my back as I was squatting the other day. Both were holding barbells with like, 10lbs a side on them. Get off my nuts guys, go curl in the open.

Also saw: a guy chatting about people having no manners in the locker room, and how people clipping their nails are especially gross. He was saying this as he was patting baby powder onto his balls.

MjFrancis

From Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding:

Question: Straight bar curls bother my wrists. Should I switch to an EZ curl bar?

You could. Or just change your grip on the straight bar. Let your arms hang straight by your sides and then supinate your wrists, that is make your palms face forward as they do on the bottom of the curl. You will notice that your hands naturally move a few inches away from your body and your fingers point slightly out. Do not touch that dial; go over to the bar and pick it up with that exact grip. Curl. Chances are your wrists and elbows will give you no more trouble.
Not that the EZ curl ROM is halfass, unless you're not straightening out your elbows. Then you are asking for possible injury no matter what bar you're using.

rage1973

I tried Twinlabs Chocolate Surge for the first time today.
And I have to say it tastes like ass in my opinion.
It's going to be really hard finishing this 5lb tub.
Needless to say this will be the last one I buy from Twinlabs.

Discovered today that Target has a whey brand. With my Moms discount it comes to about $12/2lb. 25 g of protein per serving an 25 servings/2lb. Not bad...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Arms at 16 1/4" yeahhhh!!!

I tried Twinlabs Chocolate Surge for the first time today.
And I have to say it tastes like ass in my opinion.
It's going to be really hard finishing this 5lb tub.
Needless to say this will be the last one I buy from Twinlabs.

It doesn't taste that great, but with a higher concentration of powder to milk makes it taste better. I was doing 1 scoop per shaker bottle full of milk and it tasted horrible, but once I moved up to 2 scoops (or 1 scoop for a half a shaker bottle full), it tasted much better.

Just started the 5x5 day before yesterday. Did Squats then, and am supposed to do them again today. I haven't done them in a while, my Quads are super sore. I'm pretty sure I can do them again with proper form. I should still do them like the program says or ease off till they're no longer sore?

On the straight vs EZ bar topic, switching to an EZ bar two weeks ago actually caused significant pain in my wrists and made my right shoulder feel weird. I primarily made the switch because using a straight bar was causing discomfort around my right elbow.

I got over the wrist pain pretty quickly, though. I think it was due to having broken my right wrist long ago. It takes a bit to get used to new exercises because it's ever so slightly mishapen.

For the longest time I avoided doing push-ups because of the pain it would cause my right wrist after 15-20 reps. Then I finally forced my way through it about a year and a half ago, and I haven't had any issues since.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If your wrists hurt too bad use the inside grip. You barely miss any supination that way and it's still much easier on the wrists in my experience.

About the EX bar and stuff, well Mr Rippletoe did make a good point in the flexion of the bicep.

BUT

Ronnie Coleman/Branch Warren/Jay Cutler/Dorian Yates are all living proof that you can use the EZ bar and get henched

Ultimately I use whatever the fuck is free (we only have 1 EZ bar that we put 45lb plates on the end ourselves). I'm starting to ignore the whole argument about this that or the other is better. Eitherway you're going to working your shit if you train good enough

ps* the pain I get after putting the BB down after curls is HORRIBLE. In my forearms I feel a strong pump. And I curl in the squat rack, only if it's empty though

Fucking studying is killing my sparetime. I'm out of the house 8 - 7pm at work and then study for at least 3 hours every evening so working out has fallen by the wayside these past few weeks. Once this module is over I should have a bit more time as I have six weeks between modules instead of the 3 weeks I have this time.

Bladenic

I haven't worked out consistently since October 2010. It's crazy to think it's been so long... I have no excuses, really, it's just so hard to get motivated to restart. I mean, knowing I have to start from the very bottom of the barrel again, when I was once pretty strong and muscular. Sigh. But I been gettin' chubby, I really need to start at least running and doing some curls and bench presses.

Any advice on where to start over? Anyone else had this problem before?

jts

...hate me...
Just get a plan and stick to it, workout 3-4 times a week. If everything goes right in two weeks you'll no longer need to force yourself through anything, your motivation will be there alongside the first signs of body transformation.

Just don't skip workouts and don't burn yourself through overtraining.

Just started the 5x5 day before yesterday. Did Squats then, and am supposed to do them again today. I haven't done them in a while, my Quads are super sore. I'm pretty sure I can do them again with proper form. I should still do them like the program says or ease off till they're no longer sore?

first week off 5x5 I couldn't walk down the stairs without immense soreness. Its just DOMS though. Perfectly fine to workout through.

Do the workouts as scheduled. You'll get used to it and eventually won't be as sore, even at higher weights.

MjFrancis

I'll echo cuevas and hawkshockey and suggest the bolded is the best and most awesome option. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) shouldn't hinder your progress on the program. Over time it will decline or subside as your body becomes accustomed to the stimulus.

MjFrancis

On the internet you take the measurements flexed and you keep the measuring tape loose so you can add an inch or two to that as well.

Actually, take both but give out unflexed as your true arm size, unless you plan on spending all day flexing like you're fighting constipation. The difference between your flexed and unflexed measurements will reflect on how much bodyfat you are carrying, too, in addition to how much meat you've slapped on your bones.

Thanks, I did them as the program says. It wasn't actually that bad.

Do the workouts as scheduled. You'll get used to it and eventually won't be as sore, even at higher weights.

I'll echo cuevas and hawkshockey and suggest the bolded is the best and most awesome option. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) shouldn't hinder your progress on the program. Over time it will decline or subside as your body becomes accustomed to the stimulus.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
About the EX bar and stuff, well Mr Rippletoe did make a good point in the flexion of the bicep.

BUT

Ronnie Coleman/Branch Warren/Jay Cutler/Dorian Yates are all living proof that you can use the EZ bar and get henched

Ultimately I use whatever the fuck is free (we only have 1 EZ bar that we put 45lb plates on the end ourselves). I'm starting to ignore the whole argument about this that or the other is better. Eitherway you're going to working your shit if you train good enough

ps* the pain I get after putting the BB down after curls is HORRIBLE. In my forearms I feel a strong pump. And I curl in the squat rack, only if it's empty though

Apparently it's your bones bending back into place I've always had this problem and many people do.

So wait, when you are measuring your arms, should they be fully flexed, or un-flexed?

When you measure your arms they should be flexed and cold, meaning you don't measure after a workout when you have extra blood in the muscle.

Apparently it's your bones bending back into place I've always had this problem and many people do.

When you measure your arms they should be flexed and cold, meaning you don't measure after a workout when you have extra blood in the muscle.

So I have 16 inch arms at 5'8''. Is that good or bad?

I just completed some easy single rep muscle-ups on the rings.

The reason I could not do them before was because I had the false grip wrong. I was trying to do them thumbless which made it much more difficult on the wrist, but no doubt made my wrists stronger. Now I've got to learn how to keep the false grip while coming down so that I can do multiple repetitions.

Tomorrow I'll try to muscle-up on the bar.

Izick

I measured my arms before I left to go to the gym, and they were 17" even. I'm like 6-1 or 6-2, if that makes a difference. Not fat.

Well at least not I know where I'm at I guess, but I feel like I'm a ways off from where I'm going.

abuC

Im considering going strictly to bodyweight training, have to lose a bit more weight before I can realistically start though.

abuC

I've been lifting for almost 2 years now, made great gains but would like to try something else. At my weight it should be a pretty good challenge too, plus my gym is expensive.

If it doesn't work out, I can always just go back to the barbell/dumbbell.

entremet

I've been lifting for almost 2 years now, made great gains but would like to try something else. At my weight it should be a pretty good challenge too, plus my gym is expensive.

If it doesn't work out, I can always just go back to the barbell/dumbbell.

I've been making a similar transition. I do miss squatting and deadlifting, though. It also a different feeling post workout. I kinda got addicted to the feeling I got from heavy weight workouts.

New annoyance: Crowded gym, and I want to do my bench press sets. Three are taken by people actually benching, and one has a lady sitting on it and holding the 5lb weight, moving it around her. Then she's doing pushups on it. Then sitting on the bench again moving the weights around. Then more pushups. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Izick

New annoyance: Crowded gym, and I want to do my bench press sets. Three are taken by people actually benching, and one has a lady sitting on it and holding the 5lb weight, moving it around her. Then she's doing pushups on it. Then sitting on the bench again moving the weights around. Then more pushups. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Did you ask her how many more sets she had?

What shoes are everyone wearin in the gym nowadays?

I don't want to buy Vibrams, so those who wear em please refrain from answering. But I like a solid pair of all purpose shoes. New Balance or Mizuno seem to be the best out right now

Izick

My biceps are sore! Hallelujah! Praise the lifting gods!

I did 3 sets each (x8 and a couple warm-up sets) of standing hammer curls, standing BB curls, then DB preacher curls, then I did a whole back routine, and gave a little extra with 3 sets of chin ups at the end.

Let's go!

MjFrancis

What shoes are everyone wearin in the gym nowadays?

I don't want to buy Vibrams, so those who wear em please refrain from answering. But I like a solid pair of all purpose shoes. New Balance or Mizuno seem to be the best out right now
I wear Vans to the gym, Vibrams* for outdoor hiking and jogging. Barefoot when I train at home.

*I answered anyways. But wearing Vans to the gym are sensible, and I honestly don't wear Vibrams to the gym, so I hope that works for you.

I wear Vans to the gym, Vibrams* for outdoor hiking and jogging. Barefoot when I train at home.

*I answered anyways. But wearing Vans to the gym are sensible, and I honestly don't wear Vibrams to the gym, so I hope that works for you.

Cheers for the answer!

Secondly chicken breasts are so expensive in comparison to quarters. I think I might buy some frozen breasts next week

abuC

I've been making a similar transition. I do miss squatting and deadlifting, though. It also a different feeling post workout. I kinda got addicted to the feeling I got from heavy weight workouts.

I like the feeling from heavy lifting, but I think I've progressed enough that I can make the transition. How do you like it and what kind of bodyweight routine do you do?

How about keep the barbell for lower body stuff and do all upper body stuff with bodyweight?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Getting used to the grip and holding the bar during squats (low-bar). Now that the discomfort is going away I can focus more on how much weight Im doing, and I'm going to need to step it up if I'm doing 5x5. I was doing 145lbs and it felt like nothing, felt like I could have gone for 12 reps (I didn't). I'm still going to keep it lighter than I can handle to focus on my form and get more comfortable with the grip, but I feel I'm making progress. Also didn't use the pad around the bar this time.

Also went up from 125 to 130 on my bench press. Don't know how soon I'll be able to go up another 5lbs, but I did get a full 5x5 with 130lbs.

DrFurbs

Straight bar curls only here. If you build your grip and forearms over time, I found the pain goes away. I used to get them all the time on str8 bars but now I can preacher curl pretty heavy with straight bars and no issues.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

I've been wearing Nike frees and the New Balance minimus shoes almost exclusively for the past year and a half without any comfort problems. I'm looking for shoes for doing hill sprints this summer. Would you recommend the Vibrams for things like hill sprints?

Edit: and if not, what would you guys recommend?

balddemon

Banned
I've been wearing Nike frees and the New Balance minimus shoes almost exclusively for the past year and a half without any comfort problems. I'm looking for shoes for doing hill sprints this summer. Would you recommend the Vibrams for things like hill sprints?

Edit: and if not, what would you guys recommend?

i wouldn't use vibrams for anything but squatting and deadlifting, but thats just me.

for hill sprints i use my track spikes or soccer cleats. i've done them in tennis shoes before, and wow that sucks. no thanks.

so spikes/cleats

Petrie

Banned
Feel guilty doing so but only got 3 hours of sleep last night and I'm stresses as could be on top of it, so I'm pushing today's workout back to tomorrow. Shouldn't be too big a deal, if I workout today it'll be absolute shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom