• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Not a routine but I found that Dumbbell Squeeze Press really lights up my chest

Genetics, meng.

Sometimes you have to work with what you got.

Outside of that, try different exercises and angles and you should be working it out at least 2 per week. 3x per week ideally. Forget this Chest Day BS.

If you're a natural, muscle protein synthesis uptime is only 48 hours. And you obviously need to be eating a calorie surplus.

Pft, if you reach your goals size doesnt matter, perhaps you have bad genetics.

But are gifted in others, I have a deformed chest,but my back 😘

Yeah, true. I have really round shoulders and bulky triceps that I know some people would love. My shoulders are really far apart, thus my chest is really stretched out.

Have any of you seen Mario Tomic's videos on fitness? If yes, what did you think? I couldn't help but notice that the front page has links to people it would and would not recommend. There are just so many Youtube gurus that I don't know what to watch. Thanks!

His interviews are good, but his videos are generally shit. He takes like 15 minutes to make a 1 minute statement and it's fucking ridiculous.

His interviews are only good because of the guests he brings on, he actually manages to drag down the overall video with his presence.

Marz

I feel so weak and skinny when I go to the gym lol I thought there would be more weaklings but like everyone is jacked

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Hey all, what is your go to exercise for packing on mass in the rear delts? I am seriously lacking in that department and doing flys are not really doing much for me.

Also what is a good rep range if I want to just put on size in the rear delts?

KillerBEA

Hey all, what is your go to exercise for packing on mass in the rear delts? I am seriously lacking in that department and doing flys are not really doing much for me.

Facepull and Reverse Fly.

I like to do Reverse Flyes or DB rows supersetted with Bench Press and Strict press.

ACE 1991

Facepulls have really helped me. I do them high rep at 15-17x5 as the last movement on my pull day. If you decide to add them to your routine, make sure you perform the movement with slowly rather than "jerking" the rope for good muscle contraction.

A week into my new regimen to get in shape.

Been doing:

-Running 3 miles 4 days a week
-Drinking that water, which I wasn't before
-Eggs and yogurt with blue berries. Wasn't eating breakfast before
- Snacks. Also new
-Sleeping. (Going to bed at 11pm and not 1am.
- Eating veggies and fiber. Which makes me feel bloated and heavier than before.

Haven't shed a pound but hoping my new habits catch up in a month or so.

I need weights.

ACE 1991

How necessary is deload week for 5/3/1? I'm running a bodybuilding style PPL routine with my first compound lift of the day being done with 5/3/1 programming (as of a few weeks ago) and just finished my first mesocycle. I don't feel fatigued or that I really need to heavily deload. Hit 205x2 on bench though, which while super lightweight, was a new PR for me. 225 for reps by the end of the summer will be mine.

Been doing:

- Snacks. Also new
- Eating veggies and fiber. Which makes me feel bloated and heavier than before.

I need weights.

Hit the gym, my friend! Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Both are pretty difficult (to do correctly) without tracking the food you're eating.

KillerBEA

How necessary is deload week for 5/3/1? I'm running a bodybuilding style PPL routine with my first compound lift of the day being done with 5/3/1 programming (as of a few weeks ago) and just finished my first mesocycle. I don't feel fatigued or that I really need to heavily deload. Hit 205x2 on bench though, which while super lightweight, was a new PR for me. 225 for reps by the end of the summer will be mine.

At your stage you likely can do 2-3 mesocycles without deloading. A deload every 4th week is for more necessary for more advanced lifters who can do a ton of damage to their body with the weights they lift.

ACE 1991

At your stage you likely can do 2-3 mesocycles without deloading. A deload every 4th week is for more necessary for more advanced lifters who can do a ton of damage to their body with the weights they lift.

Yeah, this is definitely what I was thinking. Thanks.

Been off for 3 weeks because my wife herniated a disc. (Skipping gym to get home and help her after surgery.) Finally back and definitely weaker but damn does it feel good to be sore after chest and back.

Jokab

So I seem to have slightly injured my left iliposias. I'm not sure that's it, but in any case that region pains when I squat to parallel, been like that for a week now. Recently started gym and I'm doing SS. Should I be doing more shallow squats or just isolate quads? Or some other exercise? I don't feel anything in deadlifts for example, nor when I did quad kicks (or whatever they're called) in the machine.

Hit the gym, my friend! Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Both are pretty difficult (to do correctly) without tracking the food you're eating.

Signed up for YMCA. Will be hitting it hard very early mornings. Trying to lose weight. 31% of me is fat. I have a third kid on the way and I refuse to be fucking tired all the time so am trying to shed the fat and improve my overall health and energy. Tired of being cranky dad to the two i have alot of the time.

Been doing:

- Snacks. Also new

I need weights.

If you aren't losing weight you just need to gradually decrease your caloric intake until you start burning more calories than you're consuming.

Make sure you download myfitnesspal and track everything you're eating. Eventually you will figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then you just need to shave off like 250-500 calories a day, you will lose weight.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Need to add a low weight recovery day to help my legs recover. Going heavy so often with pause squatsbis too taxing on my body. This meal should help.

300+ cals each

8GDnTy0.jpg

If you aren't losing weight you just need to gradually decrease your caloric intake until you start burning more calories than you're consuming.

Make sure you download myfitnesspal and track everything you're eating. Eventually you will figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then you just need to shave off like 250-500 calories a day, you will lose weight.

Thanks. I'll check that app out.

Chorazin

That feel when you switch to a much higher intensity workout routine and realize you need to eat MORE every day. No wonder I felt like burnt out garbage until I re-did my macro numbers and realized I wasn't eating enough!

No idea what's wrong with my hamstring, but it's kept me from my cycling training. Oddly it's not affecting my weights in any way shape or form though. As usual, as soon as I dump the cycling training, I start making noticeable strength gains.

Works the other way around too. Can't win. Well, could possibly win with drugs, but I'm not there yet. ;)

Montresor

I'm 5'8", 30 years old and depending on the time of day I weigh in at anywhere from 248lbs to 255lbs.

I really want to completely change my life - on a fitness level and a dietary level.

I've never worked out at a gym before but I've owned a condo unit since July 2014, and I've been paying condo fees without using the condo's swimming pool or gym facilities. So I'm going using the gym at my condo at the very least.

My goal is to be 200lbs by January 1, 2018. I don't know exactly where to start, but I want a regimen that I can follow day in day out. For now I'll just start cutting out junk food, fast food, and start exercising at least. I'll closely review the OT when I get home, and do my best.

Chorazin

I'm 5'8", 30 years old and depending on the time of day I weigh in at anywhere from 248lbs to 255lbs.

I really want to completely change my life - on a fitness level and a dietary level.

I've never worked out at a gym before but I've owned a condo unit since July 2014, and I've been paying condo fees without using the condo's swimming pool or gym facilities. So I'm going using the gym at my condo at the very least.

My goal is to be 200lbs by January 1, 2018. I don't know exactly where to start, but I want a regimen that I can follow day in day out. For now I'll just start cutting out junk food, fast food, and start exercising at least. I'll closely review the OT when I get home, and do my best.

Ok bro! Download MyFitnessPal. Set a calorie goal, meet it. That simple.

Working out? Awesome! Start slow and don't go fucking nuts. No one starting out is gonna stick to a 5 day a week routine. Start 3x a week at the gym, add more walking into your daily schedule, drink way more water than not-water. You'll see the pounds melt off!

Does your condo gym have machines or actual free weights?

ACE 1991

Buy a food scale, download MyFitness pal on your phone, and hop on a vetted lifting program (assuming you want to lift)!

my lower body went to shit. i think it was monday when i went in to do some deadlifts. been like 4 weeks or so since i did. couldn't pull 365# feelsbadman. my 1RM was 435#.

squats went to shit too. but hey. chest is still fine LMFAO.
lets try to get back into the groove!

My fiancee tried one of those circuit training places called Orange Theory tonight. I knew their prices were a little much but I just looked it up again and it's 59 fucking dollars for four classes a month. Four!!! Just to be in what is a stripped down gym with someone telling you to change exercises every few mins and play some shitty music. And it's basically just bikes, the ropes and like two other things. What the fuck!

And it's always packed. How that business model attracts that many people, especially around here, where there are a ton of other gyms, including Sport and Health and Golds within a half block and two blocks from it, respectively, is beyond me.

We pay like 55 bucks a month for the both of us at Sport and Health.

Seriously, fuck those places.

lenovox1

My fiancee tried one of those circuit training places called Orange Theory tonight. I knew their prices were a little much but I just looked it up again and it's 59 fucking dollars for four classes a month. Four!!! Just to be in what is a stripped down gym with someone telling you to change exercises every few mins and play some shitty music. And it's basically just bikes, the ropes and like two other things. What the fuck!

And it's always packed. How that business model attracts that many people, especially around here, where there are a ton of other gyms, including Sport and Health and Golds within a half block and two blocks from it, respectively, is beyond me.

We pay like 55 bucks a month for the both of us at Sport and Health.

Seriously, fuck those places.

That's about as much as a personal trainer costs in a group environment that a lot of people prefer.

But, yes, you can easily program the same type of workout in a globo gym depending on the equipment available. Most people don't.

manfestival

Where do supplements come in as far as ones journey to hit perfect dad bod before summer season hits? Dieting has been on point for the past 2 months and I have another month to go before I hit a goal date but I am trying to cut weight by another 15 or 20 pounds. Was around 235 and I am at 215 now. Belt wise I am pretty much almost on par with my second smallest weight since high school days.

Where do supplements come in as far as ones journey to hit perfect dad bod before summer season hits? Dieting has been on point for the past 2 months and I have another month to go before I hit a goal date but I am trying to cut weight by another 15 or 20 pounds. Was around 235 and I am at 215 now. Belt wise I am pretty much almost on par with my second smallest weight since high school days.

I wouldnt worry too much about them. If you're having trouble hitting your daily protein goals then i recommend buying some post workout protein and drinking it after a workout. Other than that just focus on your diet, thats whats most important.

GrapeApes

If you taking about weight loss supplements​, I'd avoid them. If you trying to weight loss is the only concern maybe look into lowering carn intake.

Top Bottom