• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

enzo_gt said:
GTA IV was the culmination of technology, resources and gameplay refined to a T.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this. Gameplay was not refined in the slightest. Best that GTA has ever had up to that point? Sure, but that's not saying much since the #1 point of criticism of GTA has always been the gameplay.

enzo_gt said:
Don't even get me started on the "GTA should stay in the US because it's about America" crock of bullshit. That's just plain ignorance of possibilities.

Secondly, the Housers have already stated, this IS WHAT THEY KNOW, and stepping outside of American culture wouldn't be comfortable for them. A lot of the satire, homages, and spoofs just wouldn't be right unless you know the material well.

Stepping outside of American territories would be 2 English guys that grew up on American culture poking fun at a completely different culture. Could it work? Possibly, but it might not be the same.

Marleyman

Banned
Buckethead said:
poorly written unintelligible characters

Whoa. If there is one thing I think GTA IV has done well that would be the characters and their reasoning behind doing the things they do. To each their own but damn. You think San Andreas had better written characters than GTA IV?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Buckethead said:
And every time I read someone making massive assumptions I call them a douchebag. :D

Rockstar themselves basically said "because it's about America", so don't blame people for repeating it.

Also no one I've seen isn't appreciating "the evolution". I'm fine with evolution, but there's such a thing as "one step forward, three steps back", poorly written unintelligible characters, and making decisions that remove fun from the game.
Massive assumptions such as saying they removed fun from the game are equally as generalizing.

If GTA is about Westernized society, we cannot do England? We can't put westerners in foreign countries? Like a point I made before in this thread, people love to talk in absolutes. The right inspiration comes by, GTA is in England and those who thought it was impossible get mocked. Still doesn't mean we have to do LC/VC/SA until we've activisioned the franchise. Somewhere down the line nostalgia will run dry and people will be asking for some creativity out of Rockstar.

And if were talking unintelligible characters, San Andreas is probably takes the gold. Boyz N Da Hood and N.W.A. Aren't te best references.

Net_Wrecker said:
Secondly, the Housers have already stated, this IS WHAT THEY KNOW, and steppign outside of American culture wouldn't be comfortable for them. A lot of the satire, homages, and spoofs just wouldn't be right unless you know the material well.

They are English and would therefore know English culture very well. There are certain similarities between US and UK culture that would make the game arguably more identifiable to a wider range of people as the UK is influenced by both EU culture and US culture, all while remaining very distinct in its own right with its own quirks. We have really strong traditional English communities, Polish communities, Pakistani communities, Indian communities, Chinese communities, Dutch communities etc. I think there is a lot of parody and stories to be told there.

I like them set in the US, but I think a newer GTA: London would be brilliant.

Jin

Buckethead said:
And every time I read someone making massive assumptions I call them a douchebag. :D

Rockstar themselves basically said "because it's about America", so don't blame people for repeating it.

Also no one I've seen isn't appreciating "the evolution". I'm fine with evolution, but there's such a thing as "one step forward, three steps back", poorly written unintelligible characters, and making decisions that remove fun from the game.

You're talking about San Andreas, right? Compare to previous series GTA4 is practically Shakespearean.

Galvanise_ said:
They are English and would therefore know English culture very well. There are certain similarities between US and UK culture that would make the game arguably more identifiable to a wider range of people as the UK is influenced by both EU culture and US culture, all while remaining very distinct in its own right with its own quirks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I'm just restating what I've read in numerous interviews. Like I stated above, it COULD work, but if they aren't comfortable doing it, it might not seem as natural as it has been since GTA3. And if they go for authenticity, some of the material might just fly right over the heads of a lot of their audience. Don't underestimate how ignorant people are. Hell, I bet a huge percentage of the American GTA audience don't get alot of the jokes in GTAIV, imagine what satire of another country + accents would do to them.

enzo_gt said:
Everytime I read complaints about GTA IV it sounds like someone is either 12 or they desperately want a jetpack and dildos focused game and can't appreciate it for what it has evolved to. GTA IV was the culmination of technology, resources and gameplay refined to a T. As much as I love San Andreas, GTA IV is pretty much superior in every aspect except random bugs and glitches fucking with your game and making you laugh. San Andreas, the locale, has a bit more charm than some of the locales in GTA IV, but the gameplay and missions pale in comparison.

We don't want a 'jetpack and dildo focused game', we want a GTA made without the "We aren't including this because he wouldn't use it if he were real" mentality that Rockstar said they were using with GTA4. The reason so many of us love those games form last gen is because it was clear Rockstar just wanted to cram as much stuff into it as possible in order to allow people to have fun the way they wanted. They didn't give a shit if it was realistic or not. It was all about having fun. How is that a bad thing?

Net_Wrecker said:
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I'm just restating what I've read in numerous interviews. Like I stated above, it COULD work, but if they aren't comfortable doing it, it might not seem as natural as it has been since GTA3. And if they go for authenticity, some of the material might just fly right over the heads of a lot of their audience. Don't underestimate how ignorant people are. Hell, I bet a huge percentage of the American GTA audience don't get alot of the jokes in GTAIV, imagine what satire of another country + accents would do to them.

Very true. It's always easier to spoof another culture or make a product about another culture based on sensitive issues (immigration, crime etc) than your own. The can of worms opened up by a modern GTA based in the UK would be crazy, as we are a very PC country.

I would imagine that our media would kick up more of a fuss in defence of the minorities that would probably be heavily featured in a GTA: London game.

Marleyman

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The reason so many of us love those games form last gen is because it was clear Rockstar just wanted to cram as much stuff into it as possible in order to allow people to have fun the way they wanted. They didn't give a shit if it was realistic or not. It was all about having fun. How is that a bad thing?

It isn't bad but Rockstar grew up and clearly people enjoyed the new direction with the sales and reviews of GTA IV.

Dabanton

Galvanise_ said:
They are English and would therefore know English culture very well. There are certain similarities between US and UK culture that would make the game arguably more identifiable to a wider range of people as the UK is influenced by both EU culture and US culture, all while remaining very distinct in its own right with its own quirks. We have really strong traditional English communities, Polish communities, Pakistani communities, Indian communities, Chinese communities, Dutch communities etc. I think there is a lot of parody and stories to be told there.

I agree and so does Dan Houser.

When asked if Rockstar had ever considered setting a GTA game outside the US, Dan Houser responded:

"Yes we have, we just haven't ever made that maneuver. I would have a certain confidence of maybe doing it in England, but anywhere else I wouldn't really know what was going on. The guys who make that kind of stuff on the team may not necessarily know where to begin. I'm sure that there are lots of interesting things to talk about in Russia or China or Japan about that aspect of society [consumerism] but I wouldn't know what they were and so we feel it wouldn't necessarily be GTA."

Dan Houser in Official PlayStation Magazine Australia

Straight to the point and it's what a few of us have been saying incessantly just because you set a game in another country still won't make it a GTA game. So many things to take into account.

Marleyman

Banned
Dabanton said:
I agree and so does Dan Houser.

Straight to the point and it's what a few of us have been saying incessantly just because you set a game in another country still won't make it a GTA game. So many things to take into account.

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this. Gameplay was not refined in the slightest. Best that GTA has ever had up to that point? Sure, but that's not saying much since the #1 point of criticism of GTA has always been the gameplay.
GTA is probably the essence of refining gameplay to it's core elements, improving those and removing what was lackluster, bullshit and counter intuitive in an attempt to even quality across the board. See: working out in SA. Maybe not to perfection, but GTA IV is pretty up there.

SolidSnakex said:
We don't want a 'jetpack and dildo focused game', we want a GTA made without the "We aren't including this because he wouldn't use it if he were real" mentality that Rockstar said they were using with GTA4. The reason so many of us love those games form last gen is because it was clear Rockstar just wanted to cram as much stuff into it as possible in order to allow people to have fun the way they wanted. They didn't give a shit if it was realistic or not. It was all about having fun. How is that a bad thing?
This is understandable, I'm guessing this is why they patched in the tank in the episodes? Never bought those.

Not the complaints I'm talking about, I'm talking about people want to elicitly strip the game of the realism, physics altogether and to make this shit Saints Row; a massive parody of itself and game design. I'm 100% certain Rockstar is aware of the "we want an unlimited Sandbox not hindered by the vision of the story" complaints.

It's difficult for me to describe this distinction but I think people get what I mean. The wackiness of physics and random occurences nature that is San Andreas, I want "grown up" should San Andreas be GTA V. Put a serious tone on it, don't make gigantic open areas of filler. Open areas are fun, but not like half the map of it. Consider what GTA did to Liberty City, it refined it down to boroughs, took what used to be streets upon streets of office building office building house house office building club and extracted the key elements of the city and put time and work and effort into those.

Dabanton

enzo_gt said:

Again spot on. I'm going through an old interview with Dan Houser and he echoes your points.

When we got to the point of “San Andreas” we could put pretty much anything we wanted in the game. We were quite bored with what that was at that point. With “GTA 4,” we really focused on putting things in that either make sense for the location, which is New York, or for the character.

enzo_gt said:
It's difficult for me to describe this distinction but I think people get what I mean. The wackiness of physics and random occurences nature that is San Andreas, I want "grown up" should San Andreas be GTA V. Put a serious tone on it, don't make gigantic open areas of filler. Open areas are fun, but not like half the map of it. Consider what GTA did to Liberty City, it refined it down to boroughs, took what used to be streets upon streets of office building office building house house office building club and extracted the key elements of the city and put time and work and effort into those.

What about those dense urban areas + wide open deserts, and forests? Don't discount what those areas brought to San Andreas. After a lot of time in GTAIV, I was dying for some wide open areas, big 8 lane highways, and the SPACE to just drive out in the middle of nowhere like I used to in San Andreas. Just Cause 2 scratched that itch temporarily, but they didn't put the sheer amount of detail that Rockstar does into their games so it wasn't the same.

I can't wait until the day we can have a GTA game that's so expansive that we get dense cities, suburban ares, wide open deserts + forests, and the animal system from Red Dead Redemption. That game will top everything else.

Marleyman

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
What about those dense urban areas + wide open deserts, and forests? Don't discount what those areas brought to San Andreas. After a lot of time in GTAIV, I was dying for some wide open areas, big 8 lane highways, and the SPACE to just drive out in the middle of nowhere like I used to in San Andreas. Just Cause 2 scratched that itch temporarily, but they didn't put the sheer amount of detail that Rockstar does into their games so it wasn't the same.

I think Just Cause 2's open areas put San Andreas to shame. What details does Just Cause 2 lack?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dabanton said:
He is saying he wouldn't know how to do it, not that it wouldn't work if he did. He is saying that he could do England though, could probably do it better in fact, but it seems most people in this thread wouldn't want that either.

Marleyman said:
I think Just Cause 2's open areas put San Andreas to shame. What details does Just Cause 2 lack?

No, they destroy San Andreas, I mean the game as a whole lacked the amount of detail that Rockstar would be able to put in nowadays. Just Cause 2 was very sterile for such a crazy game if that makes any sense.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Net_Wrecker said:
No, they destroy San Andreas, I mean the game as a whole lacked the amount of detail that Rockstar would be able to put in nowadays. Just Cause 2 was very sterile for such a crazy game if that makes any sense.

I see your point.

i too want GTA to stay in America, that's the setting they know and can do better than anyone.

but maybe Agent, a game i assume won't be a parody about anything, could allow them to go outside America? maybe go Ass Creed style and model several different cities. imagine being able to take flights between Cairo, Hong Kong, Moscow... i REALLY hope this is what they want to do with Agent. since it's supposedly for PS3 only, a blu-ray disc would allow them to cram several cities into one game easily.

but yeah that's a whole other issue. keep GTA in America please, let Rockstar use other game series to explore other settings (hopefully).

Marleyman

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

Ooooh..gotcha. Just Cause 2 is the ultimate game example of overdoing it. I still play the game, but damn if it isn't a pain getting around without calling your heli for a ride.

Marleyman said:
Ooooh..gotcha. Just Cause 2 is the ultimate game example of overdoing it. I still play the game, but damn if it isn't a pain getting around without calling your heli for a ride.

But that was their goal, and there's a place for it. I LOVED how huge Just Cause 2 was, but the problem with that game was how little character it had. The pedestrians weren't funny, the authority/military presence was more of an annoyance than fun to play with, your ammo was always running low, you constantly had to call your supplier in for guns (and the loading for that stupid cutscene halted the momentum SO MUCH), there were no animals to populate these amazing looking landscapes they created, etc. etc.

Marleyman

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
But that was their goal, and there's a place for it. I LOVED how huge Just Cause 2 was, but the problem with that game was how little character it had. The pedestrians weren't funny, the authority/militay presence was more of an annoyance than fun to play with, your ammo was always running low, you constantly had to call your supplier in for guns (and the loading for that stupid cutscene halted the momentum SO MUCH), there were no animals to populate these amazing looking landscapes they created, etc. etc.

Yeah, I love that game. I pop it in randomly and end up never finishing any Agency missions.

Rockstar should buy the Getaway IP from Sony and make it their London open world game. I always thought The Getaway could be a big seller.

Marleyman

Banned
AgentChris said:
Rockstar should buy the Getaway IP from Sony and make it their London open world game. I always thought The Getaway could be a big seller.

It definitely could; I just would need subtitles to understand half of what was being said ;)

Marleyman said:
It definitely could; I just would need subtitles to understand half of what was being said ;)

Heh. East London accents aren't that hard to understand. Now, if a bus load of Geordies, Brummies and Scousers turned up and got deeply involved in the plot, I'd need subtitles too.

Throw in a few pikeys and everyone would need subs.

Marleyman

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Heh. East London accents aren't that hard to understand. Now, if a bus load of Geordies, Brummies and Scousers turned up and got deeply involved in the plot, I'd need subtitles too.

I just remember my experience with the London accents in The Getaway; especially the big, bald dude. I would say I understood about half or 75% of it.

Marleyman said:
I just remember my experience with the London accents in The Getaway; especially the big, bald dude. I would say I understood about half or 75% of it.

I see. If it was handled like the East End accents in Uncharted 3, everyone should be fine. Are those ones okay? They are very tame.

Marleyman

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I see. If it was handled like the East End accents in Uncharted 3, everyone should be fine. Are those ones okay? They are very tame.

You mean Uncharted 2? I never played it yet.

Hey You

Galvanise_ said:

Throw in a few pikeys and everyone would need subs.
Whats,whats and whats?

enzo_gt said:
Massive assumptions such as saying they removed fun from the game are equally as generalizing.

If GTA is about Westernized society, we cannot do England? We can't put westerners in foreign countries? Like a point I made before in this thread, people love to talk in absolutes. The right inspiration comes by, GTA is in England and those who thought it was impossible get mocked. Still doesn't mean we have to do LC/VC/SA until we've activisioned the franchise. Somewhere down the line nostalgia will run dry and people will be asking for some creativity out of Rockstar.

And if were talking unintelligible characters, San Andreas is probably takes the gold. Boyz N Da Hood and N.W.A. Aren't te best references.
I'd bet if you took a poll you'd find the #1 criticism of GTA IV is that it "took out the fun". That's not an assumption, that's a consensus off of GAF, the GTA message board I've been on since 2002, and my friends in my personal life.

I'm not going to respond to the international GTA stuff because it's clear R* has talked skeptically about that happening. Doesn't mean it shouldn't or won't, but as of now that's the way it is. I personally think GTA: China mixing in pickpocketing and stuff like that should be R*s #1 priority for next gem systems.

And sorry if I don't find Little Jacob the Jamaican Rasta pothead armsdealer to be compelling. Most of the characters in IV were either too broad or stereotyped. I'll go out on a limb to say the only good characters in the game were Packie and the McRearys.

Net_Wrecker said:
But that was their goal, and there's a place for it. I LOVED how huge Just Cause 2 was, but the problem with that game was how little character it had. The pedestrians weren't funny, the authority/military presence was more of an annoyance than fun to play with, your ammo was always running low, you constantly had to call your supplier in for guns (and the loading for that stupid cutscene halted the momentum SO MUCH), there were no animals to populate these amazing looking landscapes they created, etc. etc.
I agree, with the PC release we at least got the bolo mod. That really changed the game in terms of fun. I would love to see R* do something different location wise for the next game.

enzo_gt said:
Everytime I read complaints about GTA IV it sounds like someone is either 12 or they desperately want a jetpack and dildos focused game and can't appreciate it for what it has evolved to. GTA IV was the culmination of technology, resources and gameplay refined to a T. As much as I love San Andreas, GTA IV is pretty much superior in every aspect except random bugs and glitches fucking with your game and making you laugh. San Andreas, the locale, has a bit more charm than some of the locales in GTA IV, but the gameplay and missions pale in comparison.

The gunplay is ruined by the lock on system. The cover system was a nice addition, but at the end of the day the gameplay doesn't end up being all that different from GTA SA: Lock on, fire with perfect accuracy, switch targets, repeat. It's a problem that I had with Red Dead Redemption (which at least added dead eye to add little more gratification).

You're just wrong about it being superior in every way. It's a lesser game as a sandbox, and while the enhancements in animation and vehicle control are superior, it wasn't enough to make up for all the things it lacked in comparison to SA.

I would disagree about the missions as well. Everyone points to three leaf clover as perhaps the only memorable mission in IV, and even 4 or 5 years since I've even played SA I can still bring up some far wilder and more fun mission scenarios from SA than IV, which I struggle to really remember at all.

enzo_gt said:
I think it's because as I grew up with GTA I saw the progression in actual game design rather than the sheer amount of bullshit people can do you could wrap into a game. I found to appreciate decision making, more three dimensional characters (still not completely there yet) and production values. A lot of stuff, cutscenes, environments, subtle humor (though SA radio > GTA IV radio), story, driving mechanics, gunplay, movement, animations, all the stuff you expect to be better IS better in the sequel.. Making it a better game. Nostalgias a bitch, but I don't want to go back to those days of self-parody.

GTA IV definitely added some quality pieces. The decision making was a nice piece, and I really enjoy how they added internet.

There is still a lot that is inferior to SA though as far as the actual sandbox, and it can't be argued.

Luckily after RDR I think that we'll at the very least see more random events in the world, which should lead to a superior sandbox. I'm optimistic that V will be a much better game than IV.

Dark FaZe said:
The gunplay is ruined by the lock on system. The cover system was a nice addition, but at the end of the day the gameplay doesn't end up being all that different from GTA SA: Lock on, fire with perfect accuracy, switch targets, repeat. It's a problem that I had with Red Dead Redemption (which at least added dead eye to add little more gratification).
The gunplay was much, much improved from San Andreas, but I agree.

I also feel about IV (like I felt about San Andreas) is that the manual targeting is too slow, tanky, and non-smooth.

Huggy

I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Rockstar's Agent for Sony is in fact The Getaway.
Things like the numerous references to Brittain and Ireland in TBOGT (once 360 exclusive, but still) and the original The Getaway producer now having his game published by Rockstar Games.

I'm hoping anyway. I love Black Monday a lot.

enzo_gt said:
GTA is probably the essence of refining gameplay to it's core elements, improving those and removing what was lackluster, bullshit and counter intuitive in an attempt to even quality across the board. See: working out in SA. Maybe not to perfection, but GTA IV is pretty up there.

I'm one of the people that loved the new driving physics in GTA 4 but they dropped the ball with the racing. The street races with Brucie felt tacked on and underdeveloped. San Andreas racing was a lot more fun. It was a criminally stupid decision to not put restrictions on your car in GTA 4.

Also disagree about the missions. Yeah SA had some whacky stuff like the dildo, but there was so much more variety. GTA 4's missions sucked. They were too "samey". And the fact that it was all so scripted ruined a lot of the magic. Chase this guy and kill him, but you won't be able to kill him no matter what until you reach the trigger. Bleh.

I think they can walk a fine line. Keep a lot of the realism from GTA 4, but return to the creativeness of SA.

Death Dealer said:
I'm one of the people that loved the new driving physics in GTA 4 but they dropped the ball with the racing. The street races with Brucie felt tacked on and underdeveloped. San Andreas racing was a lot more fun. It was a criminally stupid decision to not put restrictions on your car in GTA 4.

Also disagree about the missions. Yeah SA had some whacky stuff like the dildo, but there was so much more variety. GTA 4's missions sucked. They were too "samey". And the fact that it was all so scripted ruined a lot of the magic. Chase this guy and kill him, but you won't be able to kill him no matter what until you reach the trigger. Bleh.

I think they can walk a fine line. Keep a lot of the realism from GTA 4, but return to the creativeness of SA.

Definitely one of my biggest complaints of the game. It didn't really allow for any creativity in approaching missions like some of the missions in the GTA3s.

Hey You

Surely a Grand Theft Auto V announcement is almost upon us.

With a multitude of GTA V styled web domains uncovered last month - and more just last week - and an actor and comedian seemingly outing the title over Twitter, the sense of an impending announcement has been strong for some time.

But a call for actors by Take-Two surely puts the idea that Grand Theft Auto V is now underway beyond doubt, especially since the character descriptions have a distinctively GTA flavour.

Two out of the five characters in Take-Two's casting call are described as "a liberal young male who believes in a conspiracy made by republicans to undermine America" and "a young female obsessed with sex parties, always dreaming of being a Hollywood celebrity."

Also in the line-up is "a white creepy man who thinks that technology is a poison against the wilderness and "a man-boy love activist who just got released from an Indonesian prison."

Finally Take Two is also looking for someone in the 10-15-year-old bracket to play "a young, fast-talking boy fighting for the right of young boys to drink alcohol and have sex."

Sounds like GTA to us. It's also interesting to note that each listing requires a profile photo, suggesting that the actor's appearance will affect their chances despite the likelihood of this being voice over work.

Can we take that to suggest that the next GTA could use L.A Noire's MotionScan tech where the actor's face is reproduced almost perfectly?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295771/grand-theft-auto-v-casting-call-maximises-hype/

Do they usually do characters near the end or beginning of production on GTA's?

Top Bottom