• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Hopeford

Bakugou swearing up a storm is totally a fan translation thing only.

On one hand, yeah it is. Fan translations do that a lot. On the other hand, it fits Bakugou's character so well I wish it was the official translation.

Like, I only read the official translations but it still seems weird when Bakugou isn't swearing. Dude just looks like the kind of guy who can't get through a couple words without tacking on a "fucking" in-between, especially when he's ranting.

I mean I'm usually opposed to random swearing in localization for no reason, but it really fits his character pretty well so I like it in his case. No way that'd ever fly in official translations though, at least not for something like this show.

caliph95

Why are fan subs/translations obsessed with adding swears, anyway? Do they think that makes whatever it is they like look more mature?
Pretty much yeah sometimes to spice it up though it's apparently to do with how swearing works in japanese
The keeping of Japanese words is annoying like nakama

Ascheroth

Pretty much yeah sometimes to spice it up though it's apparently to do with how swearing works in japanese

Are you telling me reading about nakamas pulling off sugoi keikakus doesn't warm your kokoro?

NEO0MJ

All according to whatever.

Are you telling me reading about nakamas pulling off sugoi keikakus doesn't warm your kokoro?

giphy.gif

Nightbird

On one hand, yeah it is. Fan translations do that a lot. On the other hand, it fits Bakugou's character so well I wish it was the official translation.

Like, I only read the official translations but it still seems weird when Bakugou isn't swearing. Dude just looks like the kind of guy who can't get through a couple words without tacking on a "fucking" in-between, especially when he's ranting.

I mean I'm usually opposed to random swearing in localization for no reason, but it really fits his character pretty well so I like it in his case. No way that'd ever fly in official translations though, at least not for something like this show.

I actually agree, swearing works well with Bakugos character

Moaradin

I always thought it sounded needlessly tryhard. You can make Bakugou sound rough without the dialogue seeming like it was written by a 12 year old.

Hypron

Yeah, Japanese has very few actual swear words, so when a character disrespects another one it comes mainly from using the wrong level of politeness (the level of politeness affects which pronouns you use and how you conjugate verbs, among other things).

Bakugou is extremely impolite, so adding swear words when translating doesn't sound too out there.

Disclaimer: my Japanese is pretty shit.

I would have been mad if I read this part in the manga, Neito Monoma deserved to win even if it knocked Bakugou out and it was just very refreshing to have someone go hand to hand with Bakugou and see his moves nullfied, things like this are why I love Monoma and his personality. More.
C-nDKiHXUAASLDE.jpg:small

TeamTodoroki was the best, all that epic Kaminari action and Todoroki finally using fire and having it animated. Best duo, and also nice canon confirmation of Kaminari being the strongest.
C-nB3pwXgAA3bIM.jpg:small

Ost was really good this episode, the stringed instrument adds such a nice touch to the song mid episode.

Raxus

Kacchan is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I didn't really care for him last season

Kacchan is one of my favorite characters now but I won't say much else besides that.

Episode was a ton of fun much like the manga. Looking forward to the next episodes. I am so happy this adaptation is better than the last as this is my third/fourth/
fifth?
favorite arc in the manga.

The little details in the character animation make a huge difference as well.

NSESN

I am surprised there is so much discussion about best girls in MHA, but amost nothing about best boys. Of course Kirishima and Todoroki are the only possible answers so it is understandable why there is no debate.

I am surprised there is so much discussion about best girls in MHA, but amost nothing about best boys. Of course Kirishima and Todoroki are the only possible answers so it is understandable why there is no debate.

This is because you've never been in the thread for the manga.

spiritfox

But they're all best girls.

ShadyK54

Just watched the episode.

So many great moments like the Reciproburst & Todoroki's left starting up, it's hard to pick a favorite! The upcoming confrontations & final round are shaping up to be intense!

mileS

One of those shows I'm glad I didn't read the manga first. The music just sells the hype so perfectly in this series. I'm sure if wouldn't have the same impact if I know what will happen next. Anyways, that was a surprisingly fantastic episode. When they introduced the game I was rolling my eyes. Usually I can't wait for that type of shit to be over with so the story can move on. Somehow it was hype as fuck. What a great series!

HabeeNo

One of those shows I'm glad I didn't read the manga first. The music just sells the hype so perfectly in this series. I'm sure if wouldn't have the same impact if I know what will happen next. Anyways, that was a surprisingly fantastic episode. When they introduced the game I was rolling my eyes. Usually I can't wait for that type of shit to be over with so the story can move on. Somehow it was hype as fuck. What a great series!

Same here. Some of the reactions here sometimes make me scared to go read the manga after this season is done lol

NEO0MJ

You mean Superman and Captain America's baby

All might is bascially The Cape personified

More specifically, he seems to represent golden age heroes with his cheerful personality, open operation, power of inspiration, and simple yet powerful ability.

Figured it was going to be a bit of a set up episode but I enjoyed it either way! The anime adaptation has been so damn good imo. Some of these scenes are just so damn well. I get too hyped up watching it 🙏

Episode 19
Man that DekuxTodo and All MightxEndeavor combo talk....it was so good. Some great motivation, realization and a few dark revalation about what a hero society caused to the newer generation. I mean I remembered the arrange stuff, but bought?? Wow. What sealed that scene as amazing though was the variation of *you say run* that played during that last moment. So GOOD! I love Deku and Todo.
The rest of the episode was great character interaction! I always love more Mineta perviness haha. And the quick VS screens were hilarious! Really loved the camera spin on their entry.
Also damn, but Shinso is one hell of an asshole and a creep. Way more then I remembered! They really nailed the anime effect of his quirk. Felt really unsettling.

Bring on next week!

spiritfox

Just saying, don't hate on Shinso, he's just using his powers the only way it's really possible. It's rare for a person with that kind of power to not be an outright villian, and he's one of those.

Jintor

Shinso's not that bad a guy, but it's him or Deku.

God I want do badly to just shotgun a whole bunch of eps
Notably off model in distant shots btw, though they spent their time on some good shots elsewhere

Top Bottom