• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscura

I just want to say that the "inner monologue" bit with Jim in Cry Wilderness is comedy perfection.

And the "Ho Ho Ho" scene in that horrendous christmas movie went rapidly from hilarious to genuinely disturbing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Finally watched Reptilicus yesterday.

Haven't read the thread but is it bothering anyone else that the riffs come too soon... i.e. It's obvious they know what's coming in advance.

Obviously they need to prepare for maximum lols but I really wish the timing on the riffs was delayed by a second to give the illusion that it is all happening live. It's really jarring at the moment.

That said... "how about Reporticus Shutupicus?" riff is still making me giggle a day on.

I'm up to Ep10, and later episodes this does not appear to be much of a problem.
Some rare cases of being just a hair early to make a riff fit, but nothing like the first episode I've noticed. Probably just issues with the pilot.

Grug

I'm up to Ep10, and later episodes this does not appear to be much of a problem.
Some rare cases of being just a hair early to make a riff fit, but nothing like the first episode I've noticed. Probably just issues with the pilot.

Excellent! Onward I go then!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, Carnival Magic...

I really think they got the whole town to pitch in to film the movie because nobody in this film is typical actor pretty.

Also, Elle from Starcrash deserves his own movie.

Totally agree...he looks like some robot from an 80's Japanese tokusatsu program. I'd love if the gang remake the suit and add him to Season 12 as a reoccurring character, like they did with Torgo in the old show.

I've gone back and rewatched pretty much every episode a few times now. I think it's honestly a cadence that you become accustomed to hearing. When I watch Reptilicus now, I don't feel like the riffs are coming too fast.

I still think it is one of the lesser episodes because the movie isn't great and the riffing gets better in other episodes but the cadence was something I overcame pretty easily.

Venture

Totally agree...he looks like some robot from an 80's Japanese tokusatsu program. I'd love if the gang remake the suit and add him to Season 12 as a reoccurring character, like they did with Torgo in the old show.
That's not a bad idea. He could really liven up Moon 13.

Finally watched Reptilicus yesterday.

Haven't read the thread but is it bothering anyone else that the riffs come too soon... i.e. It's obvious they know what's coming in advance.

Obviously they need to prepare for maximum lols but I really wish the timing on the riffs was delayed by a second to give the illusion that it is all happening live. It's really jarring at the moment.
I think the increased sight gags showcase this even more; Crow or Servo might get in position for something about to happen. I think they spent a little too much time around the Miss Cleo commercials in the Sci-Fi Channel days.

noquarter

Watched through Beast of Hollow Mountain. Still enjoying most of them.

Cry Wilderness is still my favorite of the first five. *Bang* Thought the riffs were really good through most of the movie and will probably be the first one I go back and watch again. There is no way I would ever watch that movie for more than half way *bang* without the cast there. Movie is so stupid and really makes no fucking sense.

Beast of Hollow Mountain was also pretty good. Much better than Avalanche.

Looking forward to finishing up the rest of them during the next couple weeks.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This Ho Ho Ho scene that is then followed by them playing with the toys is some freaky shit.

I still haven't finished this season but it seems like Gypsy is actually doing something in the theater? She seems to be dropping off or picking up some containers. Is there some sort of payoff with what she's doing in the theater in the finale?

A little late, but I do believe she is dropping off "props" for them. There a few times Crow goes over there and picks up stuff to mess with.

Watch Da Birdie

Markov from Carnival Magic is one crazy fucker. I don't even think the actor's acting, he's probably like that in real life.

Opto

Banned
I can't even hate Carnival Magic. It's not a good movie by any stretch but it feels like a solid try on a shoe string budget. It feels a lot more earnest than fucking Wizards of the Lost Kingdom or Avalanche

I can't even hate Carnival Magic. It's not a good movie by any stretch but it feels like a solid try on a shoe string budget. It feels a lot more earnest than fucking Wizards of the Lost Kingdom or Avalanche
What avalanche? There was an avalanche?

noquarter

What avalanche? There was an avalanche?
That movie was so bad. It was like the middle of an episode in the middle of a soap opera story line where they are getting ready to kill a character off, but you don't know the characters and the resolution happens in the next episode.

Watch Da Birdie

It's a cult classic it seems (and a "lost movie" for a time) before MSTK3 it seems. The director was infamous for a lot of schlocky drive-in films and this was his attempt at a children's film...which perhaps "failed".

But it's apparently pretty authentic in terms of representing the inner workings of a carnival.

I've gone back and rewatched pretty much every episode a few times now. I think it's honestly a cadence that you become accustomed to hearing. When I watch Reptilicus now, I don't feel like the riffs are coming too fast.

I still think it is one of the lesser episodes because the movie isn't great and the riffing gets better in other episodes but the cadence was something I overcame pretty easily.

I have noticed on several occasions that jokes will start, and the punchline will hit as what is happening on screen catches up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thus far Yangary is easily the worst episode of the season a boring movie that led to boring riffs.

Completely agreed on Carnival Magic. It's shockingly coherent for what they were attempting.

120v

the only real difference i've noticed is the references aren't off the wall obscure and random like they used to be. old mst3k was like reading a thomas pynchon novel, you'd need an encyclopedic knowledge on pop culture to understand every single riff

not that that's a good or bad thing, just something i noticed. otherwise great season, movie selection could've been better here and there but whatever, i'm just glad it's back

Thus far Yangary is easily the worst episode of the season a boring movie that led to boring riffs.
Opinions vary, I guess. I just finished it and would put it up with Cry Wilderness at the top of the season so far. I also kind of liked the way the movie looked. Usually when I see bad monster movies with obviously fake models it's all very low quality, but it's novel to see it fairly crisp in HD.

Thoooough the Mads' invention exchange. @_@

I didn't realize until it started that Yongary was a Korean movie. An MST3K first?

mclem

the only real difference i've noticed is the references aren't off the wall obscure and random like they used to be. old mst3k was like reading a thomas pynchon novel, you'd need an encyclopedic knowledge on pop culture to understand every single riff

There's a riff referencing a single-series UK sitcom from 2004 in there. Admittedly one that's a cult hit, but I very much doubt that it's in the average viewer's punchbowl.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom had me crying within the first 15 minutes. The screaming gargoyle puppet, Gulfax's murmurs, and the "Crabby" hat all made for great riffs.

mclem

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom had me crying within the first 15 minutes. The screaming gargoyle puppet, Gulfax's murmurs, and the "Crabby" hat all made for great riffs.

Like the car crash in Avalanche, Gulfax's very existence didn't need any riffing to just make me laugh out loud. Sometimes, the movies do it all by themselves.

Oh wow. Apparently Yongary had a remake around the turn of the century, released in the US with the title Reptilian and effectively coming across as a 1998 Godzilla mockbuster.
Reptilian_film.jpg
MV5BMzQzODgwODc2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjExODkxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Carnival Magic was definitely a slow burn, but by the end I was actually interested. I started watching a few minutes of the Christmas episode, and it feels so boring so far.

Venture

Yongary was one of my favorites too. Although they did miss the opportunity to do a Yongary Yon Ross sketch.

A.B.C. Always be crushing.

Jake

not that that's a good or bad thing, just something i noticed. otherwise great season, movie selection could've been better here and there but whatever, i'm just glad it's back

I've also wondered how much this was true and how much of it is that, this season, I was alive for 20 more years of culture being referenced, instead of it being before my time? I remember my parents occasionally dropping in to the room when I was watching MST3K in the 90s and they caught so much more than I did, and they weren't connoisseurs of kitsch culture or anything, they were just alive in the 60s and 70s and I wasn't.

The one thing that I think is missing from this version of MST3K is the sense of family that the old series had. Joel treated the bots like his kids and there was a family dynamic there. With Mike, it felt like the bots grew up and they all acted like rowdy teenagers putting each other down all the time. This version just feels a little colder with the rapid fire jokes. While the season gets remarkably better as it goes on, it still feels like Jonah and the bots are a little too cold and calculated with the jokes, as in they don't feel like they are a product of the characters, but more just reading from a script that 12 different people contributed too. While I think the show is still funny, I would love to see Jonah and the bots have more individual character like they had in the old show.

Opto

Banned
The only flaw in Cry Wilderness is
when the tiger shows up and Jonah and the robots are too cool with it. They've expressed surprise at what happens in the movies ( example. "You're just a dumb indian" "WHOA") so it broke the immersion of them watching it for the first time. Still hilarious episode though.

bang!

Watch Da Birdie

The Christmas movie was actually pretty cute---it's not Year Without a Santa Clause (but then, what is?), but I kind of liked it.

The songs were weird because it seemed like when they started one they just gave up after a minute or so.

I only have one episode left and I'm a bit sad---but there's like 20 "Fan Pick" episodes of the old series on Netflx right? I've only watched a few of the original so that'll be fun.

The Christmas movie was actually pretty cute---it's not Year Without a Santa Clause (but then, what is?), but I kind of liked it.

The songs were weird because it seemed like when they started one they just gave up after a minute or so.

I only have one episode left and I'm a bit sad---but there's like 20 "Fan Pick" episodes of the old series on Netflx right? I've only watched a few of the original so that'll be fun.
Yes though I recommend skipping #1 (Manos: The Hands of Fate) until you have seen a number of the other ones. Manors is so bad that it's just not that much fun for me.

Watch Da Birdie

Yes though I recommend skipping #1 (Manos: The Hands of Fate) until you have seen a number of the other ones. Manors is so bad that it's just not that much fun for me.

I've actually watched Manos, and like six others...otherwise I'm fairly new to MST3K.

Cat Party

What even was Cry Wilderness? The intro was like a horror movie, and then it quickly became...well I don't know what it was.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
At the Earth's Core has some weirdly high budget stuff in there. Tarkin CGI's is especially good.

[edit]

Also...
IdrZ7DX.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom