• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

FFXI in 2017 : Page 5
Conrad Link
Member
(07-27-2017, 02:59 AM)
Conrad Link's Avatar
Leviathan 4 life.
thedan001
Member
(07-27-2017, 03:41 AM)
thedan001's Avatar
I knew a guy who knew a guy that worked as a GM for FFXI back in 2006-2007

Scanned a copy of the GM manual for you curious ppl

GM Manual
Ploid 3.0
Member
(07-27-2017, 05:31 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar
Wow that manual. So many juicy bits. I didn't know holding placeholders of spawns could get you in trouble. I wonder how that would work for beast master.

"I'm not holding this monster, it is my pet now, it's a part of me. "
wtd2009
Member
(07-27-2017, 05:41 AM)
wtd2009's Avatar
Forgive me if this was always addressed, but whatever happened to that reboot /remake thing that was reported? Was that the final fantasy grandmasters thing and that's it?
teiresias
Member
(07-27-2017, 06:39 AM)
teiresias's Avatar
Never really got very far in FFXI. I bought it at launch, but was in the midst of my graduate degree and didn't have the time to sink into sitting in the game trying to find a party and the pretty slow, painful grind the game was back then if you couldn't devote your life to it practically.

I went back a couple times after that though to try it and it never stuck just due to the pacing. I found the controller support and world intriguing though.

Honestly though, the thing that resonates in my head the most is all the music in the damn PlayOnline Viewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc
ZetaEpyon
Member
(07-27-2017, 07:24 AM)
ZetaEpyon's Avatar
As a long-time and current player, I can definitely say that it's certainly not quite the same game now that many of you remember. That said, a lot of the core spirit remains, and some familiar mechanics have returned to some extent in the past year or two.

For example, although old-school experience parties are long since dead and buried, the core concept has returned at max level in the form of Capacity Point parties (think merit points for level 99+). You'll get a party of people, head out to a camp with tough mobs, and pull and kill away. Sounds familiar, no? Just instead of a few thousand XP/hr, you'll see on the order of 10 million XP/hr.

Additionally, a considerable amount of the more horizontal gear progression has returned, as we've plateaued at item level 119 for many years now. There's even a system for upgrading your old Artifact armor all the way up to +2 and +3 versions at ilevel 119.

As far as looks, for all the nostalgia of the older areas, some of the newer zones are still pretty visually striking. For example, Inner Ra'Kaznar Court from Seekers of Adoulin:

Sadly, even a lot of the Adoulin zones are pretty underutilized now.
FiraB
Banned
(07-27-2017, 07:26 AM)
Great Game.

Music, Community and everything were fantastic.

But I can't play it these days, just can't bring myself too.

Worth waiting for the mobile version if it's decent though.
KeRaSh
Member
(07-27-2017, 07:49 AM)
KeRaSh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loona

Then again, the jungle maps were a mess anyway, and everything on Elshimo island, which also contains them, is functionally a labyrinth - on the other hand, in-universe the maps were hand-drawn by actual people, and had some imperfections and missing parts (like the Valkurm secret beach) accordingly.

I actually liked that about those maps, though. It added to the immersion. These things were actual labyrinths and the maps reflected that. The same with things like the secret beach. Someone in that world must have put those maps together by traveling through the areas and because of that they were not perfect.
Otatoptohami
Member
(07-27-2017, 07:58 AM)
Otatoptohami's Avatar

Originally Posted by thedan001

I knew a guy who knew a guy that worked as a GM for FFXI back in 2006-2007

Scanned a copy of the GM manual for you curious ppl

GM Manual

Don't know why but I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting it.
Massive Duck, C.M.
Banned
(07-27-2017, 08:00 AM)

Originally Posted by KeRaSh

I actually liked that about those maps, though. It added to the immersion. These things were actual labyrinths and the maps reflected that. The same with things like the secret beach. Someone in that world must have put those maps together by traveling through the areas and because of that they were not perfect.

Secret beach! Man, that takes me back lol
DrDogg
Member
(07-27-2017, 08:23 AM)
DrDogg's Avatar
The 75 cap days are hands down the best experiences I've ever had playing video games. It will never be like that again, and FF14 is a watered down, easy mode version of FF11.

I know I'm in the minority, but I loved the grind. I loved knowing how good or bad a player was just by checking out their gear when they showed up to a leveling or merit party. I loved finding a RDM that would instantly start a refresh cycle, or a BRD that could endlessly pull in merit parties. The sense of pride in your home city (Bastok here).

You don't get any of that in 14, and I'll never have it again in 11, but it was a fantastic experience at the time.
Conrad Link
Member
(07-27-2017, 08:48 AM)
Conrad Link's Avatar
I really wish we had a capture device/upload capabilities back in the Abyssea days, my brother and I were kings of duo innovations, could have made so many fun fight videos.

We'd been playing since English PC launch but by that time the game had changed, most our friends had already quit and LSs were empty etc. So had to adjust to trying to achieve things low man.

But man it was so much fun, the game really brought us closer together, I'll always love FFXI for that. :D

Not Abyssea but still the kinda adventures we would have had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PST0...az8Pu-EyPc6Fpy

Then Trusts came along and made low man even easier lol, while I still loved it and had fun - the game was so different from the days of entire EXP camps having to run to Kazham because someone trained a Gobby to the zone lolol.
TatteredHat
Member
(07-27-2017, 09:08 AM)
TatteredHat's Avatar
Some pictures that were still on my old Photobucket account, mostly stuff from end-game around 2003-2004 I guess.

First Kirin fight, that entire fight is hilarious because there's no real semblance of positioning at all, everyone just kite and spread out everywhere.

Getting our LS's first Osode chestpiece, which was a pretty big deal back then.

Probably our first Fafnir kill.

Fun titbit:

Fafnir/Nidhogg was an open-world boss that used to be dominated by Japanese linkshells since basically the western release, they would post watchers at key locations leading up to the small area where the boss would spawn at random intervals, just to keep other guilds from scouting and figuring out the exact spawn timer.

We decided we wanted a piece of the action, so we had one guy log his alt out outside of view from where the watchers were posted just to intermittently check if Fafnir was up or not. The rest of the linkshell then all logged out inside a small alcove about 6-7 hours prior to the estimated spawntime, and we all waited on IRC for the alt guy to give the signal. Once Fafnir spawned we all logged in at once, rushed past the JP LS watchers before they had a chance to react, and after a really messy fight with a lot of near-wipes we claimed the very first NA Fafnir kill on the server back then.

It was glorious, you don't get to do stuff like that in a MMO world where everything is instanced.

Not in contact with anyone from back then, which is a bit sad, but that's life I suppose. ThoseGuys represent.
Shouta
Member
(07-27-2017, 09:20 AM)
Shouta's Avatar
A pic with Rykoshet, shiiiiet. I haven't seen that name in ages. Good Ol'Fairy. I swear, all things lead back to that server at some point.
KeRaSh
Member
(07-27-2017, 09:26 AM)
KeRaSh's Avatar
Fun titbit:

Fafnir/Nidhogg was an open-world boss that used to be dominated by Japanese linkshells since basically the western release, they would post watchers at key locations leading up to the small area where the boss would spawn at random intervals, just to keep other guilds from scouting and figuring out the exact spawn timer.

We decided we wanted a piece of the action, so we had one guy log his alt out outside of view from where the watchers were posted just to intermittently check if Fafnir was up or not. The rest of the linkshell then all logged out inside a small alcove about 6-7 hours prior to the estimated spawntime, and we all waited on IRC for the alt guy to give the signal. Once Fafnir spawned we all logged in at once, rushed past the JP LS watchers before they had a chance to react, and after a really messy fight with a lot of near-wipes we claimed the very first NA Fafnir kill on the server back then.

It was glorious, you don't get to do stuff like that in a MMO world where everything is instanced.

Not in contact anymore from back then, which is a bit sad, but that's life I suppose. ThoseGuys represent.[/QUOTE]

What would the JP watchers do if they see you? At the end of the day it would just simply turn into a claiming battle, right? How was that any different from other HNMs?
Ferr986
Member
(07-27-2017, 09:44 AM)
Nah fuck Fafnir, I'm firmly defender of FFXI and open world MMO but that was shit.

Fafnir popped every set hours (24 Fafnir, 72? Nidhogg) with a window of + 3 hours, so it ws about staying there for 3 hours doing nothing, for the fucker to pop and some HNMLS bot getting the claim. It sucked. His pop room was so fucking small that everyone was cramped there too.

Pop NMs like Sky and Sea were way better.

The only "good" thing about Faf is trigerring Spike Flail to kill the claimers lol but that was patched.
TatteredHat
Member
(07-27-2017, 10:38 AM)
TatteredHat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shouta

A pic with Rykoshet, shiiiiet. I haven't seen that name in ages. Good Ol'Fairy. I swear, all things lead back to that server at some point.

Honestly I'm always surprised how notorious Ryko apparently became throughout the community, lol. He was a great guy though, good LS leader too, ever since we founded ThoseGuys.

Originally Posted by KeRaSh

What would the JP watchers do if they see you? At the end of the day it would just simply turn into a claiming battle, right? How was that any different from other HNMs?

They would often just let Fafnir sit there to make sure it died during JP prime-time whilst keeping people throughout most of Boyahda Tree to watch for potential scouts. Obviously I can't say exactly what their thought process was but they managed to keep Fafnir locked down for the longest time.

It might've been a question of, if it turned into a claim war, JP would almost always win with better latency, so the only way to beat them was to do a surprise attack. But I'm not actually sure where FFXI's servers were located back then.

Originally Posted by Ferr986

Nah fuck Fafnir, I'm firmly defender of FFXI and open world MMO but that was shit.

Fafnir popped every set hours (24 Fafnir, 72? Nidhogg) with a window of + 3 hours, so it ws about staying there for 3 hours doing nothing, for the fucker to pop and some HNMLS bot getting the claim. It sucked. His pop room was so fucking small that everyone was cramped there too.

Pop NMs like Sky and Sea were way better.

The only "good" thing about Faf is trigerring Spike Flail to kill the claimers lol but that was patched.

It did eventually turn into that, although pop windows were only a few minutes every half hour or so so you could just chill out for the most part. From what I recall bots weren't that big an issue back then, either. Though sometimes you'd get the obvious "ffs it's spawned purple" scenario.

I agree with pop conditions though, and most of the guild was pretty pissed at SE that they never bothered adding some of the loot to ENMs. (Their version of instanced battles)
elyetis
Member
(07-27-2017, 10:45 AM)
elyetis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loona

There's a new high-level version of the NM as part of the Unity system - if you don't get one of the 2 possible high-level versions of the sword, there's an alternate far more frequent drop that can be collected (through fights or buying it in the auction house) and traded for the best version of the sword.

There are now Unity versions for practically all famous NMs in the game, just like this.

Seems like a good system.

Did they ever give an easier way to get the kraken club or some high level version of it ?
Ploid 3.0
Member
(07-27-2017, 10:50 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by TatteredHat

Some pictures that were still on my old Photobucket account, mostly stuff from end-game around 2003-2004 I guess.

First Kirin fight, that entire fight is hilarious because there's no real semblance of positioning at all, everyone just kite and spread out everywhere.



Getting our LS's first Osode chestpiece, which was a pretty big deal back then.



Probably our first Fafnir kill.

Wow a TG member. I remember as a April Fools joke a few members from my shell got TG pearls. The linkshell comments were fun.





Originally Posted by TatteredHat

Fun titbit:

Fafnir/Nidhogg was an open-world boss that used to be dominated by Japanese linkshells since basically the western release, they would post watchers at key locations leading up to the small area where the boss would spawn at random intervals, just to keep other guilds from scouting and figuring out the exact spawn timer.

We decided we wanted a piece of the action, so we had one guy log his alt out outside of view from where the watchers were posted just to intermittently check if Fafnir was up or not. The rest of the linkshell then all logged out inside a small alcove about 6-7 hours prior to the estimated spawntime, and we all waited on IRC for the alt guy to give the signal. Once Fafnir spawned we all logged in at once, rushed past the JP LS watchers before they had a chance to react, and after a really messy fight with a lot of near-wipes we claimed the very first NA Fafnir kill on the server back then.

It was glorious, you don't get to do stuff like that in a MMO world where everything is instanced.

Not in contact with anyone from back then, which is a bit sad, but that's life I suppose. ThoseGuys represent.

That's crazy. Was the JP shell Bloodflavor? The white mage I knew joined their shell, along with the sleepy guy before we formed our shell. They let me do dynamis with them. They had some deal with uh, Kinshiro's (Gaf name) HNMLS, I forgot the name. The ones that camped Tiamat all the time at the start. TF?

I heard about a 24 hour nidhogg war on Fairy. I wish I was around for that. Like those early Absolute Virtue marathons on other servers.
TatteredHat
Member
(07-27-2017, 11:01 AM)
TatteredHat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Wow a TG member. I remember as a April Fools joke a few members from my shell got TG pearls. The linkshell comments were fun.

What was your LS name? I vaguely recall this happening, we did do some co-op stuff with a couple of other LS but it's been such a long time.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(07-27-2017, 11:20 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by TatteredHat

What was your LS name? I vaguely recall this happening, we did do some co-op stuff with a couple of other LS but it's been such a long time.

Found the linkshell chat. I was in Eden. Yeah, Fairy was pretty friendly. TG actually helped us with our first nid at like 3am. We wiped at like 2% I hear and TG killed it and gave the drops to us. On other situations we teamed up to kill nid or whatever after server maintenances and we both had too few people.

I lotted for my thief ridill against Magikt (forgot how to spell his name), a TG member.

TG + Eden + Lost Paradise Nid fight. I was the only Eden member in this on my gimp rdm. I think I changed to it to be of use.
Darkstorne
Member
(07-27-2017, 11:43 AM)
Darkstorne's Avatar
Man, what a game. I adored the gameplay. I even remember playing this at a game convention in London back in the early 2000s, before it launched. It was directly opposite the WoW booth, also playable, also not yet launched. My best friend loved WoW but I was convinced FFXI would be more successful because it played better, had superior visuals, and a bigger brand name. Lol.

That said, I'm still angry about the giraffe neck elves. I don't know why the FFXI art team hated body proportions so much...
TatteredHat
Member
(07-27-2017, 11:55 AM)
TatteredHat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Found the linkshell chat. I was in Eden. Yeah, Fairy was pretty friendly. TG actually helped us with our first nid at like 3am. We wiped at like 2% I hear and TG killed it and gave the drops to us. On other situations we teamed up to kill nid or whatever after server maintenances and we both had too few people.

I lotted for my thief ridill against Magikt (forgot how to spell his name), a TG member.

TG + Eden + Lost Paradise Nid fight. I was the only Eden member in this on my gimp rdm. I think I changed to it to be of use.

Hey yeah, I definitely remember that name. :D From what I recall there was really only one LS we were pretty antagonistic with, most of the people there were on pretty good terms even if they were competing for the same HNMs. We did Dynamis and Kirin runs with other LS as well.
UltimaKilo
Member
(07-27-2017, 11:55 AM)
UltimaKilo's Avatar
Anyone have any updates on the remake? I can't find anything since last year.
ZetaEpyon
Member
(07-27-2017, 12:29 PM)
ZetaEpyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by UltimaKilo

Anyone have any updates on the remake? I can't find anything since last year.

You can't find anything because there's nothing to find - there hasn't been any update on the mobile version in a very long time. Personally, I'm not really convinced that it'll ever even see the light of day.
Neo-Saiyan
Member
(07-27-2017, 02:41 PM)
Neo-Saiyan's Avatar
I started playing this during the 360 beta back in 2006, been playing it on and off since then with the occasional breaks, these days the game is more or less a single player game until you start doing the SoA contents which you'll require to form a group to get through.

With the exception of SoA and Rhapsody, I've solo'd my way through all the story contents which I couldn't of done back when the game was in it's prime, just getting a capable group together to tackle the missions was bad enough, actually completing the missions were a whole different story, alot of groups I attempted them with ended up giving up on them due to the difficulty back in the day so I never really finished stuffs like CoP, TOAU, WOTG until a year or so ago.

But as others has said, the game is completely different now, I'm the only one out of the group of 20 odd people I used to regularly play with that still logs on yet I can't bear to delete those off my friends list because whenever I look at it, it brings a nostalgic smile to my face when I think of all those adventures we used to have, all I got now is cherished memories.

Those that never played this back in its glory days has missed out on experience that I've yet to see replicated in any other MMOs since, all that is left for us veteran players that was there from the early days are memories.

Oh and you can have a FFXI reminiscing thread without this little video which old skool players can relate to ;P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARghlVjBab0
frequency
Member
(07-27-2017, 04:26 PM)
FFXI is my favourite game of all time. It's very different now than it used to be but I still really enjoyed myself going back to do Rhapsodies. Very nice ending to cap off many years of amazing memories.

I cried when Iroha thanked me. Felt like the developers talking to me. I so regret not submitting my voice for the ending song.
Pejo
Member
(07-27-2017, 04:35 PM)
Pejo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Azuran

The first footage we ever got of Odin in Einherjar. Seeing everyone get annihilated by Zantetsuken because they didn't know about the /heal thing is so amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRR-Q_Z9Es

It's crazy how bosses back then had this aura of mythisicm around them because not everyone has the means to get to them, let alone fight them:

The bosses were fantastically done, I think. Especially the Wyrms. Vrtra being down under one of the starting areas for San d'Oria just chilling with an army of undead waiting for you to find her was one of my favorite bits.
Ralemont
not me
(07-27-2017, 04:44 PM)
Ralemont's Avatar
So I came back last year and actually played through the last expansion through Rhapsodies. If anyone with nostalgia for the game is wondering whether to return:

Do it.

The game is actually in a great state right now for returning, especially if you can convince a few friends to return with you. The storylines are solo-able, and a significant chunk of the loot grind can be done with less than a party. It was absolutely worth returning to after I had quit ~5 years ago and the story was a great conclusion to my character and the world.
Rad Shadow
Banned
(07-27-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Conrad Link

Leviathan 4 life.

High five!
SilverArrow20XX
Walks in the Light of the Crystal
(07-27-2017, 06:22 PM)
SilverArrow20XX's Avatar
Ah Fafnir. He gave me the least trouble when I got my Black Belt.
Soloed "Early Bird Catches the Worm". Got Honey Wine on first try.
Kill Fafnir. Sweet Tea on first try.

Contrast that to the 25 or so times I beat the Behemoth BCNM for the King Behemoth pop item. Bastard never dropped the tongue even though it's supposed to only be uncommon. Ended up getting the 1% drop from the BCNM itself eventually.

Adamantoise Egg I just caved and payed another player to use treasure hunting abilities after a dozen no drop wins. Got it first try there.

All of these guys were pop item only when I did it. Guides really confused me saying they were timed spawns lol.
Rsinart
Member
(07-27-2017, 06:26 PM)
Rsinart's Avatar
I haven't played a MMO since FFXI. I at the time of release on Playstation 2(?) had a pretty good job as a manager of a small mom and pop shop. I used to be able to sit there and play for 8 hrs straight. Kinda got addicted to this game, had something like 300+ days of playtime when I finally quit. I sometimes wish I had a game I could hop on with a static group. I played on Unicorn server I believe.
dancegrenade
Member
(07-27-2017, 06:27 PM)
dancegrenade's Avatar
Someone help me with LB3 on Asura. Plz.
Taruranto
Banned
(07-27-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by dancegrenade

Someone help me with LB3 on Asura. Plz.

Don't be afraid to /yell for help when you need it if you can't find for help in LS (Do you have one?)

FFXI is very friendly to newcomers and helping these days it's no big deal.
Joe T.
Member
(07-27-2017, 08:54 PM)
Joe T.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Ferr986

Nah fuck Fafnir, I'm firmly defender of FFXI and open world MMO but that was shit.

Fafnir popped every set hours (24 Fafnir, 72? Nidhogg) with a window of + 3 hours, so it ws about staying there for 3 hours doing nothing, for the fucker to pop and some HNMLS bot getting the claim. It sucked. His pop room was so fucking small that everyone was cramped there too.

Pop NMs like Sky and Sea were way better.

The only "good" thing about Faf is trigerring Spike Flail to kill the claimers lol but that was patched.

lol, those HNM camps kept me fit back in the day. The three kings had 3 hour max windows, but they only had a chance to pop every 30 minutes within that window, so you could run AFK for 25+ mins to do something else, like pushups and situps in my case. We spent a lot of that down time crafting, fishing, chatting/messing with the competition or playing second accounts. I thought it was a huge mistake removing some of those timed HNMs as the variety of content at end game is what made the game appealing to such a wide variety of players. When Abyssea landed and those HNMs were removed or relegated to "instanced" battles a sizable portion of the hardcore players on my server vanished.

You're right, though, those Spike Flails were always glorious.

Loona
Member
(07-28-2017, 03:44 AM)
Loona's Avatar

Originally Posted by elyetis

Seems like a good system.

Did they ever give an easier way to get the kraken club or some high level version of it ?

not really sure - a quick search on the Unity rewards didn't return a clear counterpart, but maybe there's something close enough among the Escha rewards...

Originally Posted by frequency

FFXI is my favourite game of all time. It's very different now than it used to be but I still really enjoyed myself going back to do Rhapsodies. Very nice ending to cap off many years of amazing memories.

I cried when Iroha thanked me. Felt like the developers talking to me. I so regret not submitting my voice for the ending song.

Same here - around the time they were getting voices I was on a break from the game and somewhat pissed over the SE/SNK debacle over the High-score Girl manga not getting clearance from SNK, so I help back on it, but told some friends that used to play about it, and they pitched in samples for the song.

Originally Posted by Ralemont

So I came back last year and actually played through the last expansion through Rhapsodies. If anyone with nostalgia for the game is wondering whether to return:

Do it.

The game is actually in a great state right now for returning, especially if you can convince a few friends to return with you. The storylines are solo-able, and a significant chunk of the loot grind can be done with less than a party. It was absolutely worth returning to after I had quit ~5 years ago and the story was a great conclusion to my character and the world.

This - the whole final chapter of Rhapsodies is amazing. I wrote down some rough impressions of what's so great about it over a year ago, and despite a bunch of typos and odd phrases I can't edit for corrections now without destroying the spoilered section, even people who didn't actually play the game seemed to get a nice impression from that.
RangerBAD
Member
(07-28-2017, 03:52 AM)
RangerBAD's Avatar
I luckily joined the Japanese LS that dominated Fafnir/Nidhogg on Garuda, so I had a Ridill and Black Belt. I never got the body piece though. We camped all the HNM's, but US LS's started to get stuff more around when I quit.
mstevens
Member
(07-28-2017, 04:08 AM)
mstevens's Avatar
I bought this on steam about a month ago and tried to get into it (I love Final Fantasy and this is one of the only ones I hadn't spent time with). This is really embarrassing but I couldn't really figure out what to do or how to control anything. I guess I'm turning into a spoiled gamer lol
Shouta
Member
(07-28-2017, 04:28 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by TatteredHat

Honestly I'm always surprised how notorious Ryko apparently became throughout the community, lol. He was a great guy though, good LS leader too, ever since we founded ThoseGuys.

It's just surprising to see how many Fairy folks pop up on this forum considering the size of the server, lol. It was the server for all of the players from this forum so seeing folks from Fairy find this place later is always a kick.

The GAF shell was there from the beginning too, I created the shell immediately after I logged in for the first time in 2003 or whenever NA launched thanks to a generous JP player I asked for a little bit of gil to do so, lol. So yeah, seeing Fairy folks pop up is always great.
Massive Duck, C.M.
Banned
(07-28-2017, 04:38 AM)
I downloaded the Grandmasters game on mobile on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to find out it's Vana Diel with a lot of the trappings lol

just got beat up by sheep in La Theine Plateau!
Desi
Member
(07-28-2017, 05:12 AM)
Desi's Avatar
God Square-Enix online system is such trash. Don't know info to sign in, can't get a new registration code for my One-Time Token, & they won't even let me send them a question without logging in to this Square-enix members thing that also asks for a one-time password.

Kill me.
Toth
Member
(07-28-2017, 05:23 AM)
Toth's Avatar
People seriously need to come back and play. You would probably like the RoV areas as many of the NMs are super powerful versions of classic mobs such as Kirin, Absolute Virtue. There's even a more powerful Pandemonium Warden in the Unity system. There's plenty of challenge for the best players and none of the claim drama BS.

Plus, EVERY job can be useful at end game. Even PUP (ie.e we can tank certain NMs). Heck, a good SMN can reach 99k on certain mobs with the right debuffs.

edit; Rykoshet! That was Fairy, wasn't it? I was there. I miss those days haha
rezn0r
Member
(07-28-2017, 05:29 AM)
rezn0r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shouta

It's just surprising to see how many Fairy folks pop up on this forum considering the size of the server, lol. It was the server for all of the players from this forum so seeing folks from Fairy find this place later is always a kick.

The GAF shell was there from the beginning too, I created the shell immediately after I logged in for the first time in 2003 or whenever NA launched thanks to a generous JP player I asked for a little bit of gil to do so, lol. So yeah, seeing Fairy folks pop up is always great.

I was on Fairy since launch, always funny to remember back to all the LS drama & friendships & everything else involved. I spent sooo much time reading the Fairy KillingIfrit forum before graduating to GAF...

Originally Posted by Toth

edit; Rykoshet! That was Fairy, wasn't it? I was there. I miss those days haha

I totally remember your name, and Ploid's, and many others that used the same nicks on here :P
Ploid 3.0
Member
(07-28-2017, 05:40 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar
I remember Shouta or someone else in the shell toying with the idea of doing HNM stuff during the time of these photos. I remember the taru BLM, Heretonuke, being kind of new (to me at least) and thinking, "It happening, isn't it?.gif" What a fun day.

Hogashi

I loved duoing/trioing things for money, less people the better the split. Sure it sounds like such a cake walk to just be a bard for hire, raking in the dough doing BCNM with people, thieving had it's rewards. I'm lucky to have crossed that thief in Dangruf Wadi then being dragged around for treasure hunter and duo evasion tanking. I wish situations could happen like that in FFXIV. I would play just for a risky world to explore, I'd get much better use out of my summoner's egi. Before FFXIV 1.0 launched, I did wish the next MMORPG from SE would be less dependent on large groups, they did good on that. If only the open world wasn't so tame (I need to look at this again with storm blood out), combat wasn't tedious (circular sequence of skill presses while dodging red zones), and the gear wasn't so endless on upgrading with boring itemization.


I really liked the idea of the hunters log in FFXIV, then I got road blocked by targets behind the dungeons which I hated doing. I got excited when I heard about HNM styled hunts in FFXIV but seeing people do them on twitch makes it seem like a quick FATE where everyone wacks on it and I can just roll in and somehow get gold by joining the right party.

Originally Posted by rezn0r

Originally Posted by Toth

edit; Rykoshet! That was Fairy, wasn't it? I was there. I miss those days haha

I totally remember your name, and Ploid's, and many others that used the same nicks on here :P

Funny thing is when I see you ffxi guys post, that's all I see. Lost Paradise Toth, Poor Darsh in The Forsaken but reborn as Kenshiro (i don't know if he hated it, I just thought the no other linkshell thing sucked), Lenn.. er Shouta!, Spiderlily Jerusalem, etc. etc. I know a German guy from my linkshell, Lutia, migrated over here but I forgot his gaf name, I had some darn questions when he shut our forums down or changed the address :(. All those pictures, and posts, gone. There are so many gaf FFXI players. The whole reason I got into FFXI was a GAF Socom II clan member tried it and posted pictures. I needed the HDD for the new Socom maps anyway I thought. I never touched it. That HDD forever belonged to FFXI.

Anyway, I thought pup was in a good place during Abyssea. I remember seeing one solo some big thing in a youtube video and drooled at the possibility of trying that class. Good to hear they are even better now. Shouta shocked me with his pup and I should have just hopped on that while I was bored near the end.
Shouta
Member
(07-28-2017, 06:24 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by rezn0r

I was on Fairy since launch, always funny to remember back to all the LS drama & friendships & everything else involved. I spent sooo much time reading the Fairy KillingIfrit forum before graduating to GAF...



I totally remember your name, and Ploid's, and many others that used the same nicks on here :P

Then you probably saw my char occasionally. Lenneth on Fairy. I had to change to Ezlyn when we merged with Sylph. That sucked. >=(

Originally Posted by Toth

People seriously need to come back and play. You would probably like the RoV areas as many of the NMs are super powerful versions of classic mobs such as Kirin, Absolute Virtue. There's even a more powerful Pandemonium Warden in the Unity system. There's plenty of challenge for the best players and none of the claim drama BS.

Plus, EVERY job can be useful at end game. Even PUP (ie.e we can tank certain NMs). Heck, a good SMN can reach 99k on certain mobs with the right debuffs.

edit; Rykoshet! That was Fairy, wasn't it? I was there. I miss those days haha

Yep, Ryko was Fairy. The old days.

PUP is still the best pet job in an MMO. I still don't like maneuvers though, lol.
ShadowSoldier89
Member
(07-28-2017, 02:42 PM)
ShadowSoldier89's Avatar
when will FFXI finally die anyway?

when pigs fly?


nope still going

I rearranged my shit and havent been on in a few months. Need to get my install transferred over to my laptop. Been playing nothing but shooters online anymore
The_blonde_and_blue
Member
(07-28-2017, 03:07 PM)
The_blonde_and_blue's Avatar
One of my biggest regrets is not playing this more back in the day. It was my first MMO and I fell in love. My best friend got interested and got hooked hard. We dumped a few hundred hours into it easily. Some of my best gaming memories.

I started college and just couldn't keep up. He played like a crack addict for years and fondly tells me stories of all the stuff I missed.

:(
Aeana
Member
(07-28-2017, 03:09 PM)
Aeana's Avatar
It's my favorite MMO by far. I love it so much. I go back every year or so.... still trying to finish all of the story. One day I'll go back and everyone I've depended on to help me out will be gone, and that'll be a bummer.
thedan001
Member
(07-29-2017, 03:09 AM)
thedan001's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aeana

It's my favorite MMO by far. I love it so much. I go back every year or so.... still trying to finish all of the story. One day I'll go back and everyone I've depended on to help me out will be gone, and that'll be a bummer.

I'm still playing on Slyph, I might transfer to Asura eventually, not sure when

I'll help out with story missions whenever
KiraXD
(07-29-2017, 04:13 AM)
KiraXD's Avatar
FFXI was like that first hit of heroin...
Always fleeting never able to return to that first high...

FFXIV is all well and good, but ill never forget my 8-9 years in Vana'diel... And ill never get that freling again it seems

I was Vanik on Seraph.

Thread Tools