• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

[Asmodean]

The obligatory shot of Melentia :p
13906354060_67e99860ff_o.jpg

One3rd

So love this!

Some really nice Alan Wake shots in the last couple of pages.

Took a chance on a $4 purchase and picked up TimeShift. Not too bad considering how old it is. The time manipulation mechanic is pretty neat.

13906938629_bd3fa4eb14_o.jpg

14070472886_b61b1dc4e1_o.jpg

Used GeDoSaTo for this shot but I didn't like how all the postfx from sweetfx are applied on the downsampled image. The game has no AA to speak of and really benefits from SMAA being applied to the full rendered image.

BONKERS

Such next gen texture detail! how do they make it so real?
1399077560-cod-aw-advanced-soldier.jpg

So love this!

Some really nice Alan Wake shots in the last couple of pages.

Took a chance on a $4 purchase and picked up TimeShift. Not too bad considering how old it is. The time manipulation mechanic is pretty neat.

13906938629_bd3fa4eb14_o.jpg

14070472886_b61b1dc4e1_o.jpg

Used GeDoSaTo for this shot but I didn't like how all the postfx from sweetfx are applied on the downsampled image. The game has no AA to speak of and really benefits from SMAA being applied to the full rendered image.

You can force SGSSAA if you have an Nvidia card with 0x004010C4

One3rd

You can force SGSSAA if you have an Nvidia card with 0x004010C4
Thanks that really does clean up the aliasing! I don't like how it seems to blur the textures though with the auto LOD setting. Any idea what I should use for 4xsgssaa? LOD = -1 still has a slight blur.
[EDIT: Looks like a little bit of luma sharpening counteracts the blur nicely!]

LOD is adjusted automatically with SGSSAA. I dont think changing the setting does anything. Unless there's a way to brute force it.

kanuuna

I actually thought the trailer looked pretty good (beyond the futurey stuff which I'm an absolute sucker for), and I think that character model looks great. And given that Call of Duty: Ghosts had sizeable textures on PC and the trailer is being touted as Xbone footage, I'm optimistic.
Also, if I wasn't seeing things, the first person view had self-shadowing (fingers shadowing palms), which I think is a first for Call of Duty. I don't get why more games don't do that.

One3rd

LOD is adjusted automatically with SGSSAA. I dont think changing the setting does anything. Unless there's a way to brute force it.
I was forcing "Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX)" and there was definitely a difference...mainly more blur. =)

14092746851_98e9b60c16_o.jpg

SGSSAA definitely makes a difference on the fencing.

14092745191_6d3b448a6b_o.jpg

R8TEDM3

Can you force HBAO+ and SGSSAA in Alan Wake? Are there any texture mods around? Love the sreenshots!

I searched for some HD textures myself a while back, and couldn't find any! Only thing i did find was some flashlight mods and that was it!

Also 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA can be forced as well.

14096652165_03f5e2d00c_o.jpg

13910054150_62ae955618_o.jpg

One3rd

I like this one! And i always wanted to play this game at some point. But there are soo many games i want to play at some point..

ds2_3ubqme.jpg
I know what you mean. I should start on my Steam backlog but I keep getting side tracked by these older classics.

BTW, that DS2 shot is wicked!

Nice timeshift shots! Do you recommend it? I can't find any good Test-Videos.
I had the same problem, I read some reviews and was intrigued about the time manipulation aspect as I just finished Singularity but was left wanting.

As for TimeShift, I'm having a good time going through it now. The engine is a bit dated but does have its moments. For less than $4 I would recommend it just to try out the time powers.

I wasn't able to find a free cam for it but the ini file can be modified to remove the crosshair and gun.

14097806104_3afd5f9b65_o.jpg

14092848612_7467613259_o.jpg

BONKERS

Thanks that really does clean up the aliasing! I don't like how it seems to blur the textures though with the auto LOD setting. Any idea what I should use for 4xsgssaa? LOD = -1 still has a slight blur.
[EDIT: Looks like a little bit of luma sharpening counteracts the blur nicely!]

You think C4 blurs? oh man, you should see the old flag. It's near impossible to get razor sharp image quality and kill all aliasing at the same time.

But, you have the choices for LoD (As you mentioned though, some sharpening also works. Which is what I would prefer. Because LoD changes often induce shimmering/moire), auto LoD on. And with ALOD off, you can set it manually or leave it to 0

Comparison between C4 and the old flag
http://www.abload.de/img/timealt0ou6.png
http://www.abload.de/img/timeneu8ofj.png

It's also somewhat of a necessity in Saber Interactive's Engine. Not even crazy downsampling can tackle the large amounts of shader and texture aliasing. SGSSAA+downsampling = amazing though.

iblgHNWoZPqO3H.png

iWSuOJgaEzE4p.png

Can you force HBAO+ and SGSSAA in Alan Wake? Are there any texture mods around? Love the sreenshots!

No mods. SGSSAA can be used, but it causes glitches and doesn't look good.

You also can't disable MSAA in the game which causes problems with trying to force it.

Your best option is in game MSAA+FXAA + ~1.5 to 2.0x downsampling

As far as HBAO+, if the game has built in SSAO, that would need to be disabled and someone would have to use trial and error to find a flag that would work

kvn

Nothing wrong with posting modded Skyrim a lot since there's so much to it.

There's nothing to it, it's almost always the same oversaturated shit plus the eventual creepy anime shit character whose cleavage the modder proably masturbates to in the evening hours. Imho and sorry, didn't want to derail the thread.

Fractal

Banned
Awesome thread... a real pleasure to look at. Used to lurk around for a while, but now when I'm here, may end up contributing something when I'm in the right mood!

BONKERS

There's nothing to it, it's almost always the same oversaturated shit plus the eventual creepy anime shit character whose cleavage the modder proably masturbates to in the evening hours. Imho and sorry, didn't want to derail the thread.

19847-Doctor-who-what-is-this-fucker-MwQR.gif

Comment that you think a screen looks great or the game looks ugly, but no real point commenting on the choice of game. :/
Agree. Honestly, there are a lot of games and stuff like that I don't like. But I keep it to myself. I mostly comment on technical things that i'm anal about. Like AA/IQ/etc.

ij7Db6lQlBZZ.png

ibpotRbKjWMTyb.png

ELE still looks nice. But man, the original demo was sooo much better looking IMO in many areas. (The original only had FXAA though. Which looked really bad in that regard)

Top Bottom